Female hiker lost or abducted?

Chessie knuckleheads, ain't that the truth. Mine is 12 now and I have had him since he was 8 weeks and a more stubborn dog has never been created. He was a hell of a retriever in his day and tough as nails, but if he didn't want to do it, you had a fight on your hands. Chessies don't fit the normal retriever breed I agree, every one I have been around would fight, tough SOBs to be sure.Chris

OK, back to the lady who is missing from her hike. I want her to be found safe as much as anybody here, but I don't think that's going to happen, unfortunately. It's like this, she was out alone in the woods, she's young, attractive, athletic, 5-foot-4, 120 lbs., blond hair, blue eyes... I hate to be so blunt, but that spells BAIT to a certain class of male predator.

The problem I see over and over with women, especially young, attractive women, is that they just can't seem to get their precious little heads around the concept that they are nothing more than a prey animal to some men, given the circumstances that make an attack possible. They might have been trained in some kind of martial art or carry pepper spray or a knife or a walking stick, but without the mindset to be very wary of strangers and very aware of their surroundings it's almost pointless. The only true equalizer that gives a woman a fighting chance to protect herself is a pistol, and that's only if she has the necessary training and determination to use it correctly.

The latest is that the person of interest, a 61 year old guy who may have MS named Gary Hilton, has been taken into custody and charged with kidnapping and bodily harm. The young lady has not been found.

Police found items belonging the the young lady in a dumpster in Cumming, GA, 49 miles from Blood Mt., and her dog was found at a grocery store a few blocks from the dumpster.

It gets better. The 61 year old guy is now being looked at in the murder of a husband and wife in the Pisgah NF in North Carolina in October. The wife was found dead and the husband is still missing. Someone wearing a yellow jacket used the couple's ATM card at a location about an hour north of Blood Mt. The creep was wearing a yellow jacket when he was seen talking with the missing young lady on Blood Mt.

He has evidently been living in his van for the past few years and has 2 felony convictions of possession and theft by taking.

The search/rescue effort is now being considered a recovery effort. S&R teams will focus on a 5 square mile grid on Blood Mt. On Friday they covered 400 square miles, with no sign of the young lady, Meredith Emerson.

I saw a picture of her and her dog on the news. The dog did not look full grown to me but may be a smaller lab or maybe a 8-10 month old puppy.

Yeah I've been following it that really sucks.

In one article they said they initially held him on an outstanding warrent for leaving property in a park. Sounds like he was just drifting from park to park?

The guy has to be crazy or retarded. Who in the hell would abduct somebody after so many people had seen him? Also somebody must have thought something was up if they took down the guys license number while he was parked there.

I'd be suspicious if I saw some vagrant looking person walking with a well dressed young gal.

AP is reporting the hiker as "believed to be dead" and they have charged the 61 year old with kidnapping and bodliy harm. Just heart-breaking really...

OK, back to the lady who is missing from her hike. I want her to be found safe as much as anybody here, but I don't think that's going to happen, unfortunately. It's like this, she was out alone in the woods, she's young, attractive, athletic, 5-foot-4, 120 lbs., blond hair, blue eyes... I hate to be so blunt, but that spells BAIT to a certain class of male predator.

The problem I see over and over with women, especially young, attractive women, is that they just can't seem to get their precious little heads around the concept that they are nothing more than a prey animal to some men, given the circumstances that make an attack possible. They might have been trained in some kind of martial art or carry pepper spray or a knife or a walking stick, but without the mindset to be very wary of strangers and very aware of their surroundings it's almost pointless. The only true equalizer that gives a woman a fighting chance to protect herself is a pistol, and that's only if she has the necessary training and determination to use it correctly.

That about sums up my thoughts.
Women are targets.
No amount of hand to hand training will ever make them equal to a much larger man or men.
I hope she's OK.

Yet another reason to get your loved ones to understand the need to carry a pistol. It is the ONLY equalizer out there. My wife carries after years of being a non gun person. She went running today and the first thing she took was her pistol, then her cell phone.

Females in the backwoods, or even lone males need to be packing, before someone ends up packing you into a hefty bag for disposal.

This is very sad. It seems this happens more and more. I am very upset thinking about it. The older I get the less I understand how someone can be so cruel.

I'm very sorry about the outcome of this incident, but I hope the authorities will publicize more about the culprit soon. From what little we hear about him so far, I'm betting he has a long and very strange history. He sounds like a creep that somebody should have "taken out" decades ago! Yes, indeed, there are monsters among us, but getting young people, especially young women, to accept this fact is nearly impossible it seems. They think all the monsters are on television and in the movies, and they are more concerned about hurting someone's feelings than they are with meeting a horrific death.

Sadly, it is illegal in Federal - and many states' - parks to carry a firearm. I never worried when camping in the Smokies over a quarter of a century ago. I often carried just a SAK - once or twice maybe my late Dad's old WWII S. Pacific companion, a KaBar. My sons and I had fun - never thought of two-legged predators. Sadly, I guess I'd have either of my S&W Airweights, a 642 & 296, in my pockets there these days. One is now with me in the urban 'wilderness' every day. Helluva note.

Poor gal, I guess she thought predators took a holiday for Bowl games. My prayers are with her and her family and friends. I wish the perp, when convicted, could 'enjoy' being the object of some big Bruno's unrequited and dailey attention, but it is unlikely he would 'enjoy' general population. He'll probably live out his natural days on death row, awaiting a demise as humane as we have reserved for our favored pets. Somewhat unfair, isn't it?

Stainz

They said that this guy was caught on tape trying to use her credit card at a bank.

What do you bet he's the same one that did those other hikers in that were found beaten and then somebody tried to use their ATM card??

A pistol MIGHT have helped but even more important I'd bet he hit her over the head when her back was turned.

Don't turn your back on strange people carrying weapons:confused:

This Hilton character looks so much like that animal Couey in the Jessica Lunsford killing that it's actually eerie. Could it be that the people that wrote down the plate number were thinking the same thing? They both fit some kind of profile that sets off an instinct in some people to be more than a bit leery. I can tell you for certain that I will be doing my own profiling when encountering such unsavory characters in the future.

... I can tell you for certain that I will be doing my own profiling when encountering such unsavory characters in the future.

Dave, your post made me wonder something. Other than spending many years attending the school of hard knocks, is there anyone or any place that teaches this kind of profiling? If any law enforcement personnel are reading this, are any of you taught much (or anything) in a formal setting about profiling dangerous characters? Is there something in print on this subject? Sounds like a topic Massad Ayoob should have written about somewhere.

I'm sure a LEO learns to read people very early in his career. As far as Ayoob, this is as far as he goes. http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob87.html
If profiling is taught at the police academy, it would be so PC incorrect that I doubt they would put it in text. But if there is some recorded behavioral profiling, I too would like to see it.

There are books on understanding body language...I used to have one. It was interesting, but I think that anyone can be caught off gaurd. I have always thought that you can't teach street smarts, and thats just the way it is. I have met so many people that seem to have blinders on, and it always boggles my mind...everytime. People SUCK, and you should act accordingly. Gene

Back