Female hiker lost or abducted?

It is beyond my words to describe how I feel about this kind of situation, and the predators involved, but "people suck" is not how I want to live my life. It would of course be an advantage to foretell if someone I meet has a hidden agenda. I have been a hiker for 50+ years and have met hundreds of fellow hikers that have never set off any kind of alarm to my instincts. I will say that all this has given me second thoughts of weapons carry and preparedness in the woods.

This happened about 20 miles away from where I live. I hike all of these trails around here and it saddens me greatly that someone would do this. I moved back here because this kind of stuff never happens around here. I hike often and always have a Glock 22 with me. Some of my friends think its dumb but with the drug problem that has developed here you can't be too careful. This should prove to all that this sort of stuff could happen to anyone girl or guy. Even in these “safe” mountains.

This should be linked directly to the "two legged snake problems in the woods" thread!, what the hell? is there no escaping the degenerates in today's society?? All the more reason to go armed into the woods.

Notice his prey weak and old. A true coward I would have loved to have met in private one on one. Makes me rage this case.

Skam

Yet another reason to get your loved ones to understand the need to carry a pistol. It is the ONLY equalizer out there. My wife carries after years of being a non gun person. She went running today and the first thing she took was her pistol, then her cell phone.

Females in the backwoods, or even lone males need to be packing, before someone ends up packing you into a hefty bag for disposal.

I pretty much agree, but the major factor IMHO is too much trust of others, and lack of judgment and situational awareness. The alleged perp is now suspected of earlier having done away with a married couple who were hiking, and of carrying a collapsible baton. It is very hard to resist a baton from up close even if you are packing.

He also is reported to have engaged the girl in conversation and possibly surprised her. One has to be very alert to strangers like him and keep one's distance.

I have presented the subject of self protection at staff meetings a number of times. One of my points, especially for women who find themselves leaving the office late is you DO NOT have to be polite! If someone begins to approach too close with no cause or otherwise encroaches into your comfort zone tell them to "stay away! Keep away from me!" Show your pepper spray! If they have bad intentions it will startle them, if they don't then there's no harm done and you will not appear to be an easy mark. So what if someone is offended? Who cares! This may have nothing to do with what happened here, but always applies even in the bush. Regards, ss.

I pretty much agree, but the major factor IMHO is too much trust of others, and lack of judgment and situational awareness. The alleged perp is now suspected of earlier having done away with a married couple who were hiking, and of carrying a collapsible baton. It is very hard to resist a baton from up close even if you are packing.

He also is reported to have engaged the girl in conversation and possibly surprised her. One has to be very alert to strangers like him and keep one's distance.

I agree with you. If somebody was walking with me with a poliice baton on I wouldn't have turned my back on him no matter how friendly he seemed.

I had a crime prevention class once and one of the things i got from it is don't walk around with your head down. Look around. If you are suspicious of someone make eye contact constantly. People are less likely to be inclined to attack if you are watching them.

If I was one of the "witnesses" that saw the two together I would have stuck around. Some creepy toothless guy hanging around a young woman is pretty suspect IMHO.

I feel sorry for her family and friends.

Ya know a two dollar whistle put on a lanyard around your neck will go a long way, if used, in deterring a potential predator. :thumbup:
Blow it if you feel threatened or someone enters your comfort zone.
Who cares if you are wrong? No harm, no foul.
However, if you read the perp correctly I bet they will think twice or at least hesitate in making an aggressive move.

If I was one of the "witnesses" that saw the two together I would have stuck around. Some creepy toothless guy hanging around a young woman is pretty suspect IMHO.

I feel sorry for her family and friends.

I told my wife I would have done the same thing if things seemed fishy...all I could think of is "what if that was my daughter"? She's pretty independent, likes the outdoors...as unfortunate as this is, it's a good learning point for all young men/women to hike/camp in pairs or small groups; stay alert and be armed at all times.

OT...just as straitshot mentioned, his advice is very sage. My wife was in Wal Mart parking lot as she turned to get out of her car, some young man was right in the car window...scared her to death. He was evidently trying to sell magazine subscriptions, but his manner was way over the top. My wife locked the car quickly and told him to go away. He didn't and kept pushing. My wife (and I) are awaiting our CHL's here in TX, so she doesn't have her license yet, but carries her pistol in her car. She first used her cell phone as a threat and told him to bug off...he persisted. She finally pulled out her pistol and they guy became quickly apologetic and retreated.

My wife went right to the Wal Mart manager and told her that the guy in the parking lot was doing some extremely aggressive solicitation and her initial thought was this guy was going to assault her. The manager found the guy and told him to leave the parking lot premise or he would call the cops. Today’s parking lots are the PZ's of Viet Nam...do your 5/25 meter checks before exiting and entering.

In today’s day and age, you can never be to careful. It's sad when you start seeing that being polite is the open door to rape, assault and possibly murder.

I have a few attractive, young female Army officers working for me. Can’t tell how many times I’ve given the speech about situational awareness and doing things (running, biking, etc) at low-light times with a friend and not alone.

ROCK6

A experienced female hiker is missing in the north Georgia mts. & may have been abducted. she had her dog with her. someone said that a man was seen close by carrying a police baton. all that has been found was two water bottles, her sunglasses, a dog leash & a baton. I dont have the link, to the news clip. she is said to have martial arts training.

Sadly, martial arts training could mean she was taught by a Pro; or (more likely) went to a belt factory where she was taught nearly nothing of value. I wonder how many instructors still use that stupid line of "..... And we'll show you how to defend yourself without hurting your attacker." :rolleyes:

Hopefully, she was taught by a Pro.

Sadly, martial arts training could mean she was taught by a Pro; or (more likely) went to a belt factory where she was taught nearly nothing of value. I wonder how many instructors still use that stupid line of "..... And we'll show you how to defend yourself without hurting your attacker." :rolleyes:

Hopefully, she was taught by a Pro.

Martial arts gives a false sense of security, it is mildly usefull and many who are highly trained :rolleyes: end up victims like the rest of the population. Pushing MA solves nothing. Teaching awareness IQ and how to mame and or do serious crippling damage with weapons or bare hands to an attacker that has jumped you is more usefull. It allows you to escape and evade.

There is no ring, no ref, no rules, no points for second only smart choices and serious damage, belts mean nothing. Send the women in your life to a proper street fighting self defense class geared to women.

Skam

Martial arts gives a false sense of security, it is mildly usefull and many who are highly trained :rolleyes: end up victims like the rest of the population. Pushing MA solves nothing. Teaching awareness IQ and how to mame and or do serious crippling damage with weapons or bare hands to an attacker that has jumped you is more usefull. It allows you to escape and evade.

There is no ring, no ref, no rules, no points for second only smart choices and serious damage, belts mean nothing. Send the women in your life to a proper street fighting self defense class geared to women.

Skam

Couldn't agree with you more. :thumbup:

. Send the women in your life to a proper street fighting self defense class geared to women

Any suggestions on a certain style or type? Especially suitable for starting kids as young as four.

He was evidently trying to sell magazine subscriptions, but his manner was way over the top.
ROCK6

You know, when I still lived in STL, my apt got burglarized and I went around asking the nieghbors if they saw anything. One happened to be home for lunch and she said a couple guys came by trying to sell mag. subs. She picked out his mug shot and they were out on bail from doing burglaries in the same apt. complex.
Your wife may well have saved her own life.

You know, when I still lived in STL, my apt got burglarized and I went around asking the nieghbors if they saw anything. One happened to be home for lunch and she said a couple guys came by trying to sell mag. subs. She picked out his mug shot and they were out on bail from doing burglaries in the same apt. complex.
Your wife may well have saved her own life.

Those magazine subscription guys are usually just looking to case your home for a future burglary. Very rarely are they on the up and up.

I get them in my neighborhood, always claiming to be representing some local high school sports team (football is always real popular, but I've had them say everything including "chess club"). Generally they claim they're trying to raise money for some trip or another.

They're always young, usually male, and invariably well-dressed and well-spoken. The problem is that they don't have a solicitation license, which my city requires before anyone can sell door to door. And rumor has it that if you actually give them money for a magazine subscription, you'll never see the magazine.

What they're really doing is looking to see who's home and when.

We just call the city police when we see them in the neighborhood and have them come check these guys out. Almost always they get run off by the police.

Those magazine subscription guys are usually just looking to case your home for a future burglary. Very rarely are they on the up and up.

I get them in my neighborhood, always claiming to be representing some local high school sports team (football is always real popular, but I've had them say everything including "chess club"). Generally they claim they're trying to raise money for some trip or another.

They're always young, usually male, and invariably well-dressed and well-spoken. The problem is that they don't have a solicitation license, which my city requires before anyone can sell door to door. And rumor has it that if you actually give them money for a magazine subscription, you'll never see the magazine.

What they're really doing is looking to see who's home and when.

We just call the city police when we see them in the neighborhood and have them come check these guys out. Almost always they get run off by the police.

Agree with the opinions on the shortcomings of martial arts. It goes back to Jeff Cooper's codes of awareness and basic recognition of dangers. Unfortunately, parks and wilderness areas have become habitat for all sorts criminals and misfits. They know that law enforcement is spread thin and they can live out of their vehicles for a couple weeks without being bothered.

Interesting notes on the magazine sales racket. They come by occasionally and use the ruse that they are selling them to qualify for a chance to win a trip somewhere. The other angles are that they are selling them to benefit the disadvantaged or for their school.

GB

Back