• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Fishin1635 online store ? And Varenik* - Ebay flippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's time to restructure the memberships and require a base membership to buy, higher level memberships based on how many transactions you do or plan to along with other benefits, or something along those lines. You could also collect personal information to better discourage unsavory buying and selling.
I don't like the idea of more rules and regulations, especially if they include extra fees or memberships. One of the great things about the exchange is that it operates within this community. The mod staff and the community do a pretty good job at preventing and/or putting a stop to actual problems where people are out items, time, and/or money. I don't think more regulation is needed to stop those sort of real problems. Bladeforums should not have to hold people's hands in order for them to act like intelligent adults, and thus, doesn't. In general, if you get screwed on the exchange, it is mostly because of mistakes you have made, there are exceptions of course. More regulations would also require more work from mods that are already under staffed and not paid for a mostly thankless job.

Missing out on a nice GEC because a flipper scooped it up and sold it on ebay for more is not the end of the world. Sorry, it isn't. Does it suck? Yes! There are actual problems that need the attention of the limited mod staff on the exchange though. Problems where people are getting screwed out of money or items. For this flipper problem, the community can self regulate, just like what is happening in this very thread. No need to overhaul the entire system to solve a problem that the community itself can combat. Just like how spark should not be in charge of enforcing paypal's goods & services policy, I don't think the onus of catching flippers and banning them for sales done elsewhere should fall in his lap either.

Would I have a problem if flippers started getting banned left and right? No way. F'em. I do however appreciate the exchange for its low amount of regulation and high amount of personal freedom. I also think that if the community chooses, we can squeeze these flippers out ourselves without taking away from what makes the exchange great.

Boy, that ended up being more rambly than I wanted. Caffeine must have kicked in!

Final thought. Although I question how much people read them, perhaps a warning about selling to or being labeled as a flipper in the exchange or rules is something we could consider?

The sellers can choose who they sell to here, and I wholeheartedly support you guys being selective who you sell to.
I think some read the first part and overlooked the second part.
For this flipper problem, the community can self regulate, just like what is happening in this very thread.
Agree... it's common knowledge who some of the flippers are, a simple refusal of sale will eventually put a end to the problem. Once the supply train that the Exchange has become for them dries up, they'll leave. The flippers have no interest in the community, only what it can provide for them.

There's been numerous flippers identified because of this thread, that's a good thing and more importantly... it's not against the rules :cool:

Most people always check the Bona Fides of a Seller. I've been also checking the Bona Fides of Potential Buyers. It only takes a quick search here in the G,B+U to prevent any problems before committing. Threads like this will provide the information needed to weed out the bad actors.

More regulations would also require more work from Mods that are already Under Staffed and Not Paid for a Mostly Thankless Job.
I can't thank the mods enough for the good work they do. A little self policing helps all concerned and contributes to a nice place to hang out= Thank You.

There's been numerous flippers identified because of this thread, that's a good thing and more importantly... it's not against the rules :cool:

Having just read through this entire thread, it appears to me that @Varenik seemed far to blasé about being banned and having his primary supply source for cheap stock cut off. Suspicious.

At the risk of stating the obvious I think that you should post @Varenik real name and postal address so that he cannot sneak back here using a new membership (or indeed a currently existing one) from a library/work computer using a different IP address.

If we all know the real details of who we are selling to/shipping to, we know who to avoid.

I'm no lawyer but I think there are probably reasons to not do that.

Since he can no longer buy or sell here it's really not the business of anyone here what he does from here on. I'd advise people called out in these "pile on" threads that have no negative feedback or bad transactions here to just ignore them without responding in the future. Your money, you don't owe anybody an explanation for private business transactions. The trolls and dog-pilers will soon move on to easier pickings.

I'm not policing who is buying from here and selling off site. That's not my issue. Buying is open to everyone, selling is limited to those who support the site. The sellers can choose who they sell to here, and I wholeheartedly support you guys being selective who you sell to.

Amen.

Some of the ideas that were thrown out here remind me of how those in government try and make 10 new laws, 30 new regulations, and several new taxes to try and address something that simple common sense would handle.

Just questions, maybe page 10-12.. I can’t remember now. About why you didn’t just sell back to the forum since you’re a collector and not a dealer. Especially when there is a fishin1635 online shop on AAPK.

Hopefully, this addresses all your questions, comments, and concerns about me. First of all Boru13 Boru13 can confirm that I wrote most my 1st response way before Rick Ryan chimed. I have nothing against Rick I’m just trying to show my sincere authenticity and defend myself. I replied to Boru13 soon as the issue was brough to my attention about the link on my BF profile page to my AAPK store. My first response to this thread on page 10, was in fact sincere and authentic. I did not copy Ricks first post to this thread. It sounds like he has an addiction for fine slipjoints and building that collection for a grandson, good for you man I understand the addiction. I missed out on some nice ones that Rick claimed and I’m sure all of you have missed some from me claiming them. And that sucks especially, when you and I haven’t built some rapport and I haven’t brought some beer to the community and it feels like I’m taking your beer and sharing it with others.

I have only sold one knife from the exchange on the aapk store a Viper Knives Swayback Jack Stag that I also had on ebay. The rest of my GEC sales and Maher & Grosh sales are from recent and old retail distributors purchases. The others are from my personal collections.

Yeah, it’s frustrating when you desire a knife so bad but miss out on it. I’m not the only one that is quick at snagging a knife on the exchange. You simply need to set up your email to notify you via: text, which appears most of the flippers have figured out. I just thought about it for a while when I missed out on a few that I really really wanted so bad. It drove me mad, I’ll could think about was the one I missed out on. I just kept thinking… how’s these guys claiming a knife on BF so quickly when I just seen them on another social media platform. I asked myself how the hell are they in 2 places at once, it seemed without camping out on the exchange. Maybe, I am opening “pandoras box” but that’s maybe something admin could look into changing so that it’s more fair for the BF community. Example: Like, no more being able to watch the exchange thread via: email notification. That way you only see a notification if you’re on the BF website. Some people will probably hate me for saying that but sooner or later it would’ve probably came out. I’m obviously, not the only one that get’s to the exchange sales post in less than minute. Idk that’s just my opinion. You obviously, see the notification sooner if you’re on the forum because sometimes there’s a lag time in the email servers. And there’s another little trick that I’m happy to share about the notifications that requires you to respond to the notification or you miss a notification via: text because the system is ignoring the notifications thinking it’s spam because of the lack of response to the notification on the BF server. I’m sure there’s guys camping in the exchange hitting the refresh button too. Or camping out in their email inbox or possibly set up email with instant notifications displayed on their home screen. Shit idk, I’m just guessing.

I didn’t like it when varenik would snag an awesome knife and sell it on ebay the next week for a higher price either… but I bought a couple of his rare birds on the bay... I couldn’t find them anywhere else and I was still salivating from the one I just missed on another social media platform or here at BF’s. That was another thing that kept me persistent in snagging the desirable ones before he did because shit… I was paying him almost double the price on ebay. It only took that happening a couple of times before I said f_ck that… I’ll show you quick draws. It then became an obsession. I studied the production totals several times a week, seen what other knives were selling for and got totally obsessed with buying rare ones that everybody else shows off but doesn’t want to sell but would be willing to trade. Shit! I’m sorry guys.

There’s lots of people on BF’s that are cool and I hope to meet more. Time will tell…

bbk357 bbk357 why the hell did you sell the 77 smooth autumn bone its bad-ass… I freakin love it. I snagged it’s brother from TSA back in April. I don’t plan on letting it go anytime soon.

Wish, I could turn back time and to have made a difference in the community with conversations and pictures but took a route of hording. Which, I did years ago too on ebay with the Case Classics, Bulldog, Painted Pony’s, Michael Praters, Case XX and anything with ivory or dinosaur covers. Some body mentioned in this thread that the prices have went and have mentioned there still the same. All I know is based on my experience. Here’s an example: I snagged a GEC real lambfoot back in April for I think $325 on the exchange. I was so thankful for him having it for sale and it was the same price I just paid for one in a different cover on facebook. It sat there on the exchange for several hours and had no picture so I reached out to him and claimed it before he got pics up or could’ve possibly adjusted the price. And now I hear the going rate for a GEC real lambfoot is $195 on the exchange. I see how it messes things up in the community when a new guy comes along agrees to buy it and the regulars miss out on talking him down with offers or just letting him come to the conclusion that the price needs to be adjusted down… (‘ve heard it said “if its sitting for more than 15 minutes in the exchange. The community is saying it’s too high of a asking price.” It’s probably frustrating to see then the prices go up because its get’s swooped up so quickly and then you see similar items for sale on the bay or other social medias for double. I believe you can get more money out of a knife if you have more pictures to salivate over and time to go back to revisit it time and time again. It starts to become a love affair for me. I’m guessing sellers that then watch the exchange want more money and that doesn’t help the regulars but maybe helps the others decide to sell which brings more sellers and in return attracts more buyers, which then in return attracts more activity from other forums, and other social media platforms. Which all creates more management on the BF’s, which in return brings frustration and change that causes ripple effects in the community and others feel compelled to teach people a lesson about flipping. I get the concept “what goes on here stays here” is the consensuses with most tight communities and if you don’t fit that standard then there’s the door “don’t let it smack you on the way out” and that’s hard to manage. It’s got to be hard to know who to trust or who’s a collector or a possible “flipper.” I totally can appreciate that.

I went the wrong way about things on this forum for sure… again I’m sorry about that.

I was a guest for a longtime and never bought one thing from the exchange until just a couple of months ago and signed up as a member soon as I heard others saying “that guys not eve a paying member and snagging knives on the exchange.” I respected that and bought a membership. I don’t claim to know everything, and I am trying to learn the community atmosphere and enjoy the hobby with others on the forum but still have lots to learn and I’m willing to adhere to the policy and procedures.

I think from a buyers perspective, you would like to see more sellers in the exchange and less buyers so that you as a buyer can get a better price and if no buyers are claiming the knife with “I’ll take it or “take” or “# please” then seller lowers the price or buyers can send offers. It’s gotta be frustrating to see a new guest and new members mess up that system that has been built within the community. It makes sense why the community would like everyone to say the same phrases to claim a knife because everyone has to take to the time to type it and makes things more fair on the playing field. I’m still trying to figure out why some sellers leave the price’s in a thread and some get edited… idk. Maybe it’s because they want people to see that your trying to give back to the community fair prices or below market prices “the good fella discount” “or brother discount” or may be just don’t want others knowing what an item sold for, but the emails notifications say what the original post said it just takes up more space on your computers or email inboxes.

I like the AAPK store concept because it allows me to put a knife up for sale that I can show off and I have no desire of really selling… that’s why it’s at a higher price than retail or market value but if another collector wants it bad enough, more than anybody else in the whole world and there’s not another one for sale is that so bad of me to put a price on that I would be willing to let it go for? Yep, I guess so in the eye’s of the communities that’s bad if you have your eye on a knife and miss it at the “brother fair price” then see a guy a similar knife for more than you just seen one sell for. But damn, like I mentioned earlier there’s been times I was happy a seller had a particular knife I wanted but I had to pay more than fair market value or possibly needed it for a trade. I can see where that would be seen as unfair when knives clime in value and others miss out them or can’t or don’t want to pay higher prices and the good fella discounts get slimmer and harder to find. Someone has to be held responsible and becomes the “scapegoat.”

Trading knives, that’s another thing that a whole thread can be about too. I had no idea that trading could be so fun and help you get that knife you so desire. I’ve learned that if you don’t have shit to trade you aint going to get a knife ya love so ya better have a “tradefodder” or plan on paying more.

I can appreciate why you want members to pay for a membership subscription in order to sell on the exchange but maybe the buyers should be required to pay for a membership in order to purchase on the exchange. I don’t know, that’s just my opinion.

I’ve only resold one knife from the exchange a Viper Knives Swayback Jack Stag sfo for CK. I claimed it by mistake thinking it was a GEC viper. I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it so took some really nice pics and sold it for more… in fact much more than I thought it would bare. I am guilty of that and I am sorry for that. I’ll address your comment about my appk store link on my profile BF profile page some more. I didn’t know you were not supposed to have a link on our profile pages unless ya have a “dealer membership.” I pmd the moderator that I was sorry and did not argue one bit with his decision. I responded to the moderator soon as that was brought to my attention... I apologized and won’t do that again.

I really would like to make this work out some how where I can get to know people in the community, but I understand this has caused lots of confusion and chaos and its not welcome. Not sure how to make it up to you… maybe if I sold everything I purchased from the exchange back to the exchange for only cost and covered shipping but I really like the knives and been collecting since 2008 which isn’t long time but not short time either and have a ton of money in the hobby because I’m a hoarder. I’m pretty fond of the hobby to say the least but not so much anymore. If, I see ya around I’m always nice and courteous. I know its not all about the money and plan to let some go back to the wild… I will work on that.

I’m not planning to write back and forth with you on this thread. I’ve explained myself and given my onions and hopefully gained some respect. So feel free to pick it apart, twist my words and be beat me up however you would like or feel free to call me out with @notifications in the thread or post shit on my profile page or ignore me that’s your right as a member. I think jealousy can drive a man mad and can drive a man to twist his thoughts and prerogative to the point of complete obsession over a thing or person. I’ve clearly did that with knives, but I can’t be the only one that is guilty of that. I’m sure in the hell not the only guy to have bought a knife from a distributor and turned it for a profit or one from the exchange. I can see your weeding out the flippers and trying to protect the community. It SUCKS… I got blacklisted in this thread… I don’t like you bbk357 bbk357 You’re a jerk for putting me in the same boat with Varenik but it is what it is… you got me out of the way. Which I’m sure was the goal. You’ve obviously won some kudos with your comrades. By the way, what is your real name??? I don’t want to run into you again or associate with you in the future. If you ever see me at future knife shows or you see me in person. Feel free to say hi I’ll probably shake your hand and can hopefully laugh about this someday. I believe everyone deserves a second chance. I’m just trying to earn it with the community but its not the end of the world. Shit its crazy out there right now in the world, I don't need to tell you that. For what its worth, I really enjoy the knives in my collection. My son and I have lots of fun with them. And I have fun sharing pictures and the limited discussions I've had so far.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
Having just read through this entire thread, it appears to me that @Varenik seemed far to blasé about being banned and having his primary supply source for cheap stock cut off. Suspicious.

At the risk of stating the obvious I think that you should post @Varenik real name and postal address so that he cannot sneak back here using a new membership (or indeed a currently existing one) from a library/work computer using a different IP address.

If we all know the real details of who we are selling to/shipping to, we know who to avoid.

I put his and his wife’s first name in my post earlier - Valera and Irina.
Fact is we all have each other’s personal info once we pay with PayPal, I don’t want to post private info on a public forum. But if you need anything else send me a PM :thumbsup:

Since he can no longer buy or sell here it's really not the business of anyone here what he does from here on. I'd advise people called out in these "pile on" threads that have no negative feedback or bad transactions here to just ignore them without responding in the future. Your money, you don't owe anybody an explanation for private business transactions. The trolls and dog-pilers will soon move on to easier pickings.

you’re still here?

Maybe it's time to restructure the memberships and require a base membership to buy, higher level memberships based on how many transactions you do or plan to along with other benefits, or something along those lines. You could also collect personal information to better discourage unsavory buying and selling.

i am a member of another forum, usual suspects. To be part of the “cove” you have to buy a yearly membership. their forum is a totally different setup though.

As much as I like GEC, it is a big detractor to use them for a "club knife" when you know that it will draw the vultures like nothing else.

It was refreshing to use Buck in 2018 and I suspect the same with using Viper this year. To be perfectly frank though, the Viper will definitely be a superior knife to the Buck...

im still very excited about the viper swayback. Even better that the vultures won’t swarm.

im still very excited about the viper swayback. Even better that the vultures won’t swarm.
Me too! I already have the oak and stag Viper swaybacks and they are excellent knives. Looking forward to another :)

I’m not planning to write back and forth with you on this thread. I’ve explained myself and given my onions and hopefully gained some respect. So feel free to pick it apart, twist my words and be beat me up however you would like or feel free to call me out with @notifications in the thread or post shit on my profile page or ignore me that’s your right as a member. I think jealousy can drive a man mad and can drive a man to twist his thoughts and prerogative to the point of complete obsession over a thing or person. I’ve clearly did that with knives, but I can’t be the only one that is guilty of that. I’m sure in the hell not the only guy to have bought a knife from a distributor and turned it for a profit or one from the exchange. I can see your weeding out the flippers and trying to protect the community. It SUCKS… I got blacklisted in this thread… I don’t like you bbk357 bbk357 You’re a jerk for putting me in the same boat with Varenik but it is what it is… you got me out of the way. Which I’m sure was the goal. You’ve obviously won some kudos with your comrades. By the way, what is your real name??? I don’t want to run into you again or associate with you in the future. If you ever see me at future knife shows or you see me in person. Feel free to say hi I’ll probably shake your hand and can hopefully laugh about this someday. I believe everyone deserves a second chance. I’m just trying to earn it with the community but its not the end of the world. Shit its crazy out there right now in the world, I don't need to tell you that. For what its worth, I really enjoy the knives in my collection. My son and I have lots of fun with them. And I have fun sharing pictures and the limited discussions I've had so far.

Sincerely,

Ralph Nelson
The more you type, the fishier you sound.

I'm not buying it, sorry....

fishin1635 fishin1635

I still don’t understand this...

You basically said that you use your storefront to show off your collection and put high prices because that is what you are willing to let it go for.”

Now I do understand somewhat...I own knives that it would take a lot more than what I paid to get me to sell. Difference is is that I dont have a “storefront” advertising what I would let it go for. Its in my collection. If someone happens to know I own it, and happens to make me the offer I can’t refuse...then maybe I’ll sell it. Im just not advertising.

So...what you are doing...

Sounds like maximum profit based to me. Im sure you are a friendly fellow, but this is viewed as “buying for less and selling for a profit” here with the regulars.

Still not sure what to think.

You know, you can still love knives, be addicted, buy lots, make it a mission....and be a dealer.

Trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back