For $500 , what would you get? (Part 2)

I have 3 different knives that sort of fit that price range.

A CRK large Inkosi with natural canvas inlays.
A CPK Behemoth Chopper with unbuffed natural canvas scales.
A Busse Ash 2. I need to try some INFI soon and they look like a great camp knife.

Hunter 7 & Stag 4
Svord%20Deluxe%20Hunter%20Knife%20-%20Model%20280H%20copy.1.jpg
140-thickbox_default_large.jpeg

A custom fixed blade seems much more obtainable than a custom folder for the designated 5 bills. Custom folders seem to really skyrocket in price from what I've been looking at.

One of the nicer ProTech Striders. I would really like a Strider but my conscience won't let me buy it. A Marfione would be nice but I think $500.00 would cover the tax and shipping LOL and if I got one I would never carry it Or use it so scratch that.

If I was going to spend $500, I'd probably start with a good fixed blade. I've been eyeing the new lionsteel M1 in m390. I'd pop for one of those and compare it against my Bradford g3 that I really enjoy. (~$150)

Next up is a pair of Spyderco's, The new Chaparral lightweight (~$80) My Ti chap is an almost constant companion, it would be nice to have the cheaper version for more informal carry. I'm excited to try out the soon to be released Caribbean (~$153) so that would definitely be on the list.

With the left over $117, I'd probably get a Leatherman Surge or Supertool 300. I have a wave and charge, but I've always wanted to try out the biggest ones.

Grizz

I'd probably get a WE 606,604 or 704 and use the 140$ change to start saving up for a ZT 0562CF.

I'd use the money to buy materials, and build whatever I wanted.
That's what i'm gonna do pretty soon. It's been around 3 years since I made myself a nice EDC. So it's high time (sold that knife 2 years ago).

Right now I'm looking at either Damasteel or Zladinox Elmax/Vanadis10 damascus for the steel. Damasteel is amazing...but that Zladinox stuff should be in another league on performance.

Not sure what I'll be doing with the handle yet. I'm thinking some cool Uranium Raffir to go along with the high tech theme but might change my mind before it's done.

For $500 ($490) if you like large-ish knives and flippers, the Koenig Arius is 100% a winner. Bill just keeps improving them, bit by bit
Sweet the Arius is such a gorgeous knife. I hope to try a Koenig some day.

But for me the Koenig I would try would have to be the seemingly less popular Koenig Zenaida. It is built with zero screws.

Idk if they are still making them though.

This was the one that knocked me out. Bill was showing this again recently on IG, I hope he's considering building in the future.
I highly recommend watching this video if you've not seen it:
Also, a review that used one of my Arius' that talks a bit more about what Bill is planning ahead:
I would really kill to get two knives right now.

Gareth Bull Shamwari

If I had the dough I would buy one right now. I need to save up. But every time I have loot none are for sale, as soon as the loot is gone 2 days later they start showing up, woe is me.

Emerson HD7. I have fantasizes about this knife for an unhealthy ammount of time.
I have a 3" Ti Shamwari on its way. But they're not quite $500, I wish they were! I think the last round of 3.25" CF was $600. Watch his IG, he puts them out there about once a month (around the 20th) so plan accordingly. They do pop up here occasionally, and are gone in about 10 minutes.

I highly recommend checking out a couple of great videos on Koenig - one is an interview and a shop tour:

The other is a review of the Arius, as well as information on the differences between them and the upcoming changes: Bill was very helpful on this.

koenigs-1217.jpg

Are they expensive?
Yeah, probably but when you look at Reate's going for $400+, or Olamics for ± $600, they suddenly seem to be about right. It's really a midtech verging on custom, these things have a lot of hand work on them, and Bill grinds every blade himself. The Gen2 is noticeably nicer than the Gen1 (which is pretty nice). Sorry, I just grabbed these out of their pouches and shot - I tend to carry my knives and only make sure they're clean, but not super fingerprint free before putting away... :)

I tend to carry smaller knives, but have some of the larger ones for fun. These are my personal choices, but any one of them makes for a good knife if that's the kind of knife you like. This is a fun thread to get introduced to new things, going to have to check out Koenig.

CRK Mnandi - perfect knife for EDC, small, lightweight, slim in the pocket, well made, various inlay choices, my original is desert ironwood, more recent with spalted beech
Hiroaki Ohta - small custom slipjoint in stag & ATS-34 makes for a nice user
TAD Dauntless by Hawk - fun since the detent and lock are different from most knives, made by Millit
Millit Torrent - don't have this one yet, but I like Millit's quality and Damasteel is fun

Back