For $500 , what would you get? (Part 2)

Kinda weird, but I actually have a little over $500 in disposible income. My dad had a good year and all of us kids and grandkids received 5x the normal amount.
Only stipulation is to spend the money on "fun" stuff.
Couple that with finding out one of my government discounts for public servants includes 3 Kershaw/ZTs a year with a 50% discount off msrp, My head is spinning
Im thinking a ti zt 0450 for $100, a zt 0562cf for $150, maybe a zt 0566 for $90 and then the KME sharpener w base for $200.

I've been on a CRK kick here lately so something CRK. If it was more than 500 I would just pay the rest out of pocket for something special

Something by Ferrum Forge. I love my Master Blaster.

FF is really starting to bum me out, their warranty service and customer care is to say the very least, lacking. I sent in a Knife (Gavko Spinner) back in October. First I was told it would cost $25 to look at, when they found out the model, told me to send it to Mike. Mike was very apologetic (responding instantly) and asked me to send it right away. I sent him to a video of the issue - and he responded that it was left handed, he didn't have what he needed to repair it. Besides, it was really FF's problem as they assembled it - he was just trying to help. He contacted Elliot - and Elliot said the new guy (Joe) didn't know about the collaboration, and to send it in.

So, I send it mid October, arrives the 19th. I contact them on the 23rd, asking if they got it, and to let me know anything else. Silence. So, on the one month anniversary I decide to see if anything was happening. Or, if they even have the $%*& knife. Should I post IG pictures of the knife on a milk carton? I get an answer back from Joe he'd check to see what's going on with the knife. Then I get an answer back it's on Chris' workbench, it should be getting sent out this week (2 weeks ago). Considering all the other responses I've had from builders for the slightest issue - including the cheap FF/Massdrop/WE built Falcon - where I was contacted by both Massdrop and WE to resolve the problem (I fixed it.) Then Mike is trying to fix a knife he didn't even build, only designed. That would be the same as if FF responded to the Massdrop/WE knife issue (they didn't). So it's a bit hard to swallow for a $500 knife that I can't get even a grunt in my general direction without prompting.

For closer to $500- a Large Sebenza

For something around $300 - a Grayman Dua

A couple of Emerson’s. I’ve never held one but really want too. Definitely an A100. Not sure what the second one would be.

How's the fit and finish on Grayman knives?

They are better and that is why I mentioned them. I don't think many people have had experiences with Grayman Duas yet. There just is not near as many as as large Sebenzas (plus P, Regulars and 21's).

As a failry serious Sebenza collector I have had dozens of Sebenxas (maybe more) over the years. I can say that the Grayman knives I prefer and one of the reason is the use the same axact pivot that the Sebenzas have with the tolerances ect. That is why they are comparable to a sebenza.

They also have equal blade to handle ratio (which I like because I hate wasted real estate on a knife with a long grip and short blade) . I actually prefer the Graymans with the thick and wider blade stock.. It seems indestructable compare to a Seb. And I like that. Also the Graymans have a more secure lockbar lockup. THIS IS A HUGE PLUS in my book! A Sebenza is more likely to fail with spine wack or weights tests. The Grayman is way stronger.

Both are lightweight and comparabale in size (cutting surface). I think the Grayman has a tiny bit more handle to blade ratio (meaning you get more blade cutting surface because of the shape.) .

The main comparisons between the Seb and Grayman is the use the same pivot assembly and I see the Grayman actually beating the seb in the exmples that I have owned of both by have better tolerances and more consistency (I have seen quate a few Sebenzas with off center blades. But I have owned a lot more sebenzas and they produce a heck of a lot more CRK Sebenazas and for a lot longer period of time so the chances of more fauly ones is higher. just due to the fact there a lot more seebenzas in the world. If I had to choose one it would be the Grayman Dua. If I was faced with a house fire I would grabd the sebenzas first and Only reason I would grab the sebs firs is they are more valuable in resale and the secondary market. But that would be my only reason for grabbing them over the Sebenzas. Grayman is a small company. Have faster turn around for any warranty or other issues. And again, they cost less and I have never seen one with a late lockup like the Sebenzas which have some variance.

But I still love my sebs. Just for the price difference the Graymans are a better "bang-for-the-buck". I suggest getting at one of each. It all depends on how you might feel that day. Some days you may feel more elegant and other days you may want a more testosterone filled blade. The grayman is a knife that is less expensive so it it not as big a deal if you drop it or use it roughly.

There is another knife that people bring up when talking about a choice over tha Sebenza and that is the Slyze Bowie from Spyderco. But IMO is nowhere near the sebenza and Grayman because of the pivot assembly is not the same as the Seb and grayman . A lot of people like the spyderco Slyze bowie but I think it is 2 steps down from a seb or Grayman. bUt also less expensive.

Bottom line is you can get a $500 knife for a couple hundred under that price if you do you research on what really makes a $500 knife worth $500. ANd then make comparisions.

Last edited:
At one time, I would've said get some sort of CRK and call it a day. Even a small micarta Insingo and a Delica for 500 so you've got your knife that can be serviced for life and a beater. Today, I'd be tempted to say get a Military, PM2, Para 3, and 2 Delicas if you can squeeze both in. Then you have a range of knives to fit almost any use in a range of shapes and sizes. This is assuming I didn't already own these knives (except the Para 3 which I will soon). If I had to go spend 500 today on new knives, there's honestly not much out there that excites me.

At one time, I would've said get some sort of CRK and call it a day. Even a small micarta Insingo and a Delica for 500 so you've got your knife that can be serviced for life and a beater. Today, I'd be tempted to say get a Military, PM2, Para 3, and 2 Delicas if you can squeeze both in. Then you have a range of knives to fit almost any use in a range of shapes and sizes. This is assuming I didn't already own these knives (except the Para 3 which I will soon). If I had to go spend 500 today on new knives, there's honestly not much out there that excites me.

I love the Militarys!

id get $500 worth of La Fin Du Mode The best beer in the entire world! Or the GEC line up but 500 isnt enough

Back