Forum Knife Updates and comments

I'm still loving my 2018 BF knife, but I've noticed that there is a lot more space at the end of the blade well on this Buck than I've seen on the GEC patterns and a few other traditionals. Is this just the way Buck likes to do it, or is this particular pattern just meant to have more space?

The blades are straight, not crinked, as each has it's own spring. We talked about it during the polling period. Aesthetically, I don't like it. In practice, I don't notice it.

The blades are straight, not crinked, as each has it's own spring. We talked about it during the polling period. Aesthetically, I don't like it. In practice, I don't notice it.

I didn’t follow all of the polling threads, so I may have missed it. It doesn’t bother me at all, but I still don’t see what crinking has to do with it. Is it a function of the blade patterns they use to mass produce the knives? The well has another 1/8 to 1/4 inch of room for the main clip even with a straight line to extend before getting close to the back spring termination. I’m not complaining at all, but just trying to understand the design.

I have not owned any other year Forum knife to compare but did they have the year stamped on the tang or not? Just thought it odd that there is no year date for these other than the Buck date code.

Blade Forums Traditionals have been using dots much like 1970’s and 1980’s Case Knives used the X, one deleted each year of the decade. OH

I got mine last Thursday. Got 2 knives and a slip, one is a bit knobbly, the other is a bit smoother.

I am very happy with the knives. Sure, the discerning knife collector might find a few minor flaws, but they are all well within acceptable margins when you take into account the price and materials used. The action on mine is very smooth and I like it a lot.

I wanted to say thank you to SKblades and all others involved in making this happen.

I didn’t follow all of the polling threads, so I may have missed it... but just trying to understand the design.

It wasn't a poll result, that's just how Buck builds their traditional knives. Each blade gets its own spring. The Buck-built Stockman and the Whittlers they built in the 90s have three springs instead of the usual two.

If you look at your knife, each blade lies alongside the other when closed, and each blade is parallel to the liner. A traditional half Stockman from another manufacturer will probably have both blades sprung on one spring. When you do this you have to crink the blades to get them to close past each other and fit between the liners.

Another thing you'll notice is that the bolsters are integral with the liners, rather than having the bolsters attached to brass liners. Another Buck thing.

I don't think Buck built any (or, at least many) pocket knives with crinked blades and attached bolsters. When you see Buck branded knives built that way they were almost certainly Schrade or Camillus built.

I've noticed that there is a lot more space at the end of the blade well
The blade length on the forum knife is identical to the length on my other Buck 301. This is a Buck 301 with 2 blades, different covers, different steel, and a full flat grind. Other than those differences, it is still a Buck 301, which is what we ordered.

I'm still loving my 2018 BF knife, but I've noticed that there is a lot more space at the end of the blade well on this Buck than I've seen on the GEC patterns and a few other traditionals. Is this just the way Buck likes to do it, or is this particular pattern just meant to have more space?

I have to same frame single clip blade version of the Chairman's series. The models with the Chuck Buck signature done into the wood handle and it has the same frame blade gap so that is just how they are made.

,,,Mike in Canada

Thanks for the answers guys. Anyone know why the design has the extra room? Is it aesthetic only or perhaps makes production tolerances easier?

If you are referring to the space between the blade tip and the end of the blade well, I cannot think of a single knife of any brand or pattern that lacks that feature.

If you are referring to the space between the blade tip and the end of the blade well, I cannot think of a single knife of any brand or pattern that lacks that feature.
True, but some get the blade closer than others and thus maximize blade length to handle ratio. I’m curious what the reason for the differences could be.

With a slim serpentine frame, if the blades were designed to fill the well entirely, you’d have a lot of blades smacking the spring inside at the tips. Or, the spring would have to be designed differently at the pivots, most likely leaving that a thin transition area and creating a weak point. Maybe?

On my desk while waiting for Christmas Dinner, aromas filling the whole place, I picked up a CASE Mini Copperhead and a BUCK 309. Both small knives, the first being what I regard as a 'true' Penknife pattern as it has ONE spring for both blades, CASE also added an extra brass liner to fill the spaces...not what they used to do.. The Buck is almost the same size as the CASE in length, it's a bit slimmer despite having TWO springs but the integral liner/bolster saves width. The CASE has the angled, crinked (bent..) blades showing very tight nesting and yet no rub. The Buck has a little more space in the well as the blades are straight and work from independent springs but open straight out no offset or blade cant. This is the typical Buck arrangement.

I suppose the Forum Knife is the same as it's based on the Stockman frame, however the Forum Knife has FFG not Sabre so this may explain something .

I don't know as tracking ended for mine on 18th it's still somewhere in the 'system' on the way to Europe. Rather annoying as JP and even meako in Aus have theirs..;)

On my desk while waiting for Christmas Dinner, aromas filling the whole place, I picked up a CASE Mini Copperhead and a BUCK 309. Both small knives, the first being what I regard as a 'true' Penknife pattern as it has ONE spring for both blades, CASE also added an extra brass liner to fill the spaces...not what they used to do.. The Buck is almost the same size as the CASE in length, it's a bit slimmer despite having TWO springs but the integral liner/bolster saves width. The CASE has the angled, crinked (bent..) blades showing very tight nesting and yet no rub. The Buck has a little more space in the well as the blades are straight and work from independent springs but open straight out no offset or blade cant. This is the typical Buck arrangement.

I suppose the Forum Knife is the same as it's based on the Stockman frame, however the Forum Knife has FFG not Sabre so this may explain something .

I don't know as tracking ended for mine on 18th it's still somewhere in the 'system' on the way to Europe. Rather annoying as JP and even meako in Aus have theirs..;)
Hope you get yours soon!

Back