Forum Knife Updates and comments

HA...let's hold off ...until the storm is at its height!
It seems the Sailing Master has called our bluff...for now.
CUE thunder and lightning sillhouetting the spooky old Buck factory.
TO THE INN !!
boy I tell ya. Being an angry mob coordinator
isn't all ale and roses.
You make it look so easy though.

Thanks for the new picture, SKBlades!

Just for my own edification, does anyone know why the blade blanks were punched out with the nubbins near the tip? I imagine there must be some functional reason with regards to the production process, but I can't think of what it would be.

Just for my own edification, does anyone know why the blade blanks were punched out with the nubbins near the tip? I imagine there must be some functional reason with regards to the production process, but I can't think of what it would be.

My understanding is that it’s done that way so the point of the blade doesn’t get banged up during production. I’ve seen images of GEC knives that have the same deal going on and someone said it’s so the tips can have a good point put on.

If you’ve ever examined the point on a Case knife out of the box, that’s kind of what’s being avoided here.

Joe

Has to do with the heat treatment.

I'm thinking they are punched or stamped out of a sheet and there has to be a bit of space between each one as the stamper does it work. The nubbin at the point is that space. Perhaps that's the easiest bit to grind off individually whilst maintaining consistent size and shape...?

My guess would be that they are cut w/ laser or jet (water) on a system that can only be programed for straight cuts, not radius cuts. Just a guess.

Very much looking forward to these.

Edit to add: Nope.. after going back and looking at the blanks, my "straight cut" theory is wrong.

Last edited:
Here we have long pulls started as well as the Buck Stamp. These are purely for testing of the steel! Once the stamping is approved, then the blades can go into production.

View attachment 980475

I'm getting more and more excited about this as the work progresses... This is easily my most anticipated knife of the year! On top of everything else, this will also be my first knife with a long pull... I handled a buddies knife with a long pull and I don't know that I'll ever be able to go back to a nail nick.

Thanks for the continued photos! It's really awesome getting to see the progress that has been made on the knives.

The GEC knives have a "nubbin" left right at the tip. I remember old posts explaining that after the punching operation, there needs to be extra metal in that spot for the surface grinders to run down on. So they can achieve "needle-like" tips. I believe this was the response to a question posed to Mr. Howard, but that was a good while ago. Perhaps, Buck does the same.

I remember something like that as well, searched but didn't find a reference, I recall it was to protect the tip during tumble burr operation? but with the Buck they have several so the heat treat thing sounds about right...
G2

Here we have long pulls started as well as the Buck Stamp. These are purely for testing of the steel! Once the stamping is approved, then the blades can go into production.

Blades "look" to be stamped BUCK/301 with 2018 Date Code/USA. What about the BF two dots for 2018??

I think I followed all the threads and votes on this knife since the beginning but the one thing I don’t really remember ever being addressed, other than maybe casually mentioning it, is the blade forums tang stamp with the stars. Like I don’t remember the number of stars even being mentioned and I don’t think skblades skblades is from around these parts (the porch) so I don’t think he would necessarily k ow too much about it. I don’t k ow if I tagged him right but I would guess he checks this post regularly.

The main reason the blade steel was chosen as such was that it facilitated stamping. Had one of the super steels been selected, Buck wouldn't have been able to stamp them. I'm fairly certain the BF stamp and dots have been accounted for and are, more than likely, stamped on the reverse side.

The main reason the blade steel was chosen as such was that it facilitated stamping. Had one of the super steels been selected, Buck wouldn't have been able to stamp them. I'm fairly certain the BF stamp and dots have been accounted for and are, more than likely, stamped on the reverse side.
Right. I knew about the blade steel and all and was fairly certain as well, I just wasn’t actually certain and felt as though it warranted a double check before it’s too late. It’d be kind of a bummer to have selected a steel for a stamp that wasn’t there.

Right. I knew about the blade steel and all and was fairly certain as well, I just wasn’t actually certain and felt as though it warranted a double check before it’s too late. It’d be kind of a bummer to have selected a steel for a stamp that wasn’t there.
Yes, I agree it was much discussed there would be the BF stamp with 2 dots, but don't remember ever seeing it actually mocked up how it would be done. Good to check.

Back