Forum Knife Updates and comments

Just for my own edification, does anyone know why the blade blanks were punched out with the nubbins near the tip? I imagine there must be some functional reason with regards to the production process, but I can't think of what it would be.

The "nubs" are actually our steel identification method. With the amount of steels we run, we had to have a way to identify one from the other.
That way our 420HC, BG-42, CPM-154, etc. does not get mixed. Heat treat, and other manufacturing processes would end up failing if they did get mixed.

Yes, I agree it was much discussed there would be the BF stamp with 2 dots, but don't remember ever seeing it actually mocked up how it would be done. Good to check.

The blades in the photos are the pilot runs finishing up. The actual runs will be starting shortly with the correct Blade Forum stamp.

Caleb Cooper

Buck Knives Project Manager

The "nubs" are actually our steel identification method. With the amount of steels we run, we had to have a way to identify one from the other.
That way our 420HC, BG-42, CPM-154, etc. does not get mixed. Heat treat, and other manufacturing processes would end up failing if they did get mixed.

The blades in the photos are the pilot runs finishing up. The actual runs will be starting shortly with the correct Blade Forum stamp.

Caleb Cooper

Thank you for the explanations Caleb! And thanks again SK skblades skblades for everything you've done to shepherd this along. I can't wait to see (and hold) this knife!

Many thanks for answering my question Caleb! Neat to get a peak behind the curtain, as it were.

Caleb Cooper

thanks for the explanation -- but now I really have to ask about your user name -- does hengem = good egg?

And how do nubbins help you tell one steel from another?

Does Buck have different shaped nubbins for each steel? We have to know!

It would be nice to show a few different nubbin patterns if opsec allows.
Thank you for the info and engagement with the forum.
Really looking forward to this knife!

That's great to hear, and of course makes sense as well, thanks for chiming in ! always nice to hear from the source like that and I'll echo everyone else's feelings, more photos if you can would be great! It will help ease the pain of the wait :)
G2

Not to throw a wrench in things, but will the blade tang stamp also have the year?

It would make sense since it is the 2018 forum knife?

As crazy as it sounds, I would really like to see some (all) various Buck nubbin shapes unless there is a business reason they want to keep it secret.

Nubbins for everyone!

Not to throw a wrench in things, but will the blade tang stamp also have the year?

It would make sense since it is the 2018 forum knife?

As crazy as it sounds, I would really like to see some (all) various Buck nubbin shapes unless there is a business reason they want to keep it secret.

Nubbins for everyone!
The stars on the tang stamp indicate the year one is removed each year 2018=** 2019=* 2020= no stars or ten stars I’m not 100% sure

Between these secret nubbins and the whole forum knife date system blowing up in 2021 I feel like this is Lifetime Channel level drama.

Must go back to hunting stag 44’s.

Back