Forum Knife Updates and comments

In anticipation of this year’s knife, my new screensaver till the Buck arrives.

eabuvqA.jpg
Love it! :thumbsup:

This will be my second year buying 2 as I gifted 1 last year and blew someone's mind. This year I plan to gift 1 and blow someone else's mind. I prefer to gift unique knives over common knives as they generally aren't something the giftee can really get a hold of or even know about (especially non forum members). While we all enjoy knives, not all knife aficionados enjoy forums or even typing, so the gifted knife has to stand on it's own regardless of the collaboration.

Having never owned an anything elk and anything Buck and not knowing what a double grind was, this experience/pictures/updates have blown MY mind and paid for the gift many times over.

Still can't figure out why the steel cutting the long pull is "eating" tools, but I'm sure there is an explanation above my level of knowledge. Thanks again @skblades this is really cool.

Here is a pic of my anticipation carry from the last couple weeks. One gives me the 301 frame, the other upgraded steel (s30v in the spitfire). One thing this process has done is renew my interest and enthusiasm in Buck's products. Here's hoping we may see more variety in their traditional line in the future.
1010222731_o.jpg

i think this Knife is really going to be a fine example of quality and craftsmanship :thumbsup:
I think that is the expectation of most of us. Like was said, this knife will probably renew my interest in Buck knives. Generally speaking I have not been buying Buck knives, but I do have the Cabela's version of the Vanguard, and a couple 110's. I like the Cabela's version of the Vanguard as it typifies the design of a knife (bottom guard in particular) I might use for hunting or general woods use. Needless to say, I have a fair number of choices in this department.

now THAT's a nice looking Buck!
I like drop points a lot better than their concave clip.

Per hengem's update last Monday, they should be close to done with CNC, stamping, final double disc, flat grind, and heat treat... and moving on to final assembly pretty quick! Getting pretty excited to see this one come together!

Per hengem's update last Monday, they should be close to done with CNC, stamping, final double disc, flat grind, and heat treat... and moving on to final assembly pretty quick! Getting pretty excited to see this one come together!
SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH! You're supposed to be quiet about this and let the thread devolve into jabberjawing about irrelevant nonsense, so everyone nods into complacency. The only thing you've managed to do is rile people up! Now there's going to be spreadsheets, estimated timetables, flowcharts, people asking how they can buy a forum knife, and discussions on what the 2019 forum knife should be!

Was the one year we didn’t get the knife till after January IIRC. That only happened once though.

You folks gettin’ their first forum knife this year have reaped the benefits of members like Gus (Bastid), Blues (Elliot) and a host of others who had invested everything from time, blood and sweat to get us a knife and continue the tradition.

Even the price has come down to the point where the last few knives had been under the $100 mark by a substantial amount.

Without all the efforts of the past volunteers and the enormous effort and time Stephen has put into bringing us yet another gorgeous annual knife for the fine folks of the porch and the traditional forum.

I remember struggling to get 50 people interested in an annual knife for us. I think it was harder getting 50 people back in the day to agree on a knife than it was getting 500 people today.

Back then everyone wanted what they wanted, today it’s easier to see the trend 500 are leaning towards than to see a trend in what 50 wanted.

Stephen, enjoy the baby, family first, speaking for myself and most here I’m sure, we won’t die if it takes a little longer to get them out the door to us.

I didn’t notice but is Buck going to add a variation of our pattern to their existing lineup?

SSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH! You're supposed to be quiet about this and let the thread devolve into jabberjawing about irrelevant nonsense, so everyone nods into complacency. The only thing you've managed to do is rile people up! Now there's going to be spreadsheets, estimated timetables, flowcharts, people asking how they can buy a forum knife, and discussions on what the 2019 forum knife should be!

Buck auto for 2019 Forum Knife please :)

Buck and Stephen have been very attentive and accommodating over this Forum Knife. Naturally we all want to get it into our hands because what's being made is exceptional for the price: double longpuls (this is unusual and it's evidently been tough on machinery...) top quality blade steel, natural scales -Elk (expect differences!) all stainless construction, a unique pattern, many polls and discussions to bring this all about. Crowning it all, a very reasonable price indeed when you consider all these factors and what even average knives cost. Would not surprise me if Buck were losing money on this project...but they will be delivered in good order.

AND we've all paid for them already :cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back