Forum Knife Updates and comments

I'll have mine today. It's out for delivery. Glad to get it before the weekend and I'll see about posting pics when I get it.

One of the reasons I quit buying Spyderco was too thick grinds. He won't find much joy there. Thick grinds are also a pet peeve of mine. Even when I reprofile one to my standard 10dps, the thick shoulders tend to wedge where a thin blade slices. I dislike scandi grinds for that reason. On a folding knife, which by definition is a light duty knife, thick grinds are stupid. Unless you offer a lifetime warrantee against stupidity ... then it's the user that's stupid. ;)
I haven't uttered a cross word since I've been on this forum but here goes. You'd better live up to your signature calling me stupid.

Missed it by that much!! I checked my tracking right before I left for lunch so I could go home and grab my knife if it was delivered. Now I'm back at work and it was delivered 7 minutes after I left for lunch.dang.gif

Something to look forward to when I get home.

For those that are complaining about the blade edge grind, grasp the handle of your knife with the blade spine up and place the cutting edge on the palm of your hand. Now, give the knife a yank. Are you bleeding? If so, you've got a good working edge.

Got a gap? Quit complaining. You can use that gap to see through for guidance while cutting with your knife.

Honest to God folks. At least wait until you have your knife in hand before complaining about it.

@skblades - Thanks for your efforts and time.
Others are entitled to opinions which may disagree to yours. Queen went under because the traditional community disagreed with you.

Yikes!

After looking at the pictures, IMO your review was far to kind.

I admire people that accept products like that (after paying for them), and then spend their time trying to "fix" it.

There's no reasonable explanation for that knife to have been sent to a customer.

Good Grief!

- Del

Here are a few pics. The elk on mine is a bit lackluster, but some potassium permanganate will likely improve the contrast greatly.

n89qfMMh.jpg

6AUoltJh.jpg

Here are a couple pics of the spring gaps. The clip blade end has one extremely large gap. Big enough to stick two sheets of copy paper through. The blade has no lateral play, so it is unlikely to benefit from hammering the pin and re-peening.
smAvooFh.jpg

The sheepsfoot end has a couple of gaps, but not nearly as large as the clip side. The sheepsfoot does have quite a bit of lateral blade play, so re-peening may help.
GHX8yg8h.jpg

I'll be away this coming weekend, but perhaps I'll get to work on this knife next week, and see if I can fix the sheepsfoot blade play and gap, and make those elk covers stand out a bit more. Both are relatively quick and easy jobs.

Let's keep our heads, after all this could have just been a dud. Let's have patience and see what the rest turn out like?

It looks like the scale pin might be a tad long causing the gap?

Unfortunately not. You are correct that that dark spot is one of the pins. The mark side scale has a large recess in it that causes one pin to stick out from the liner much further than normal. But not enough to be a functional issue. It comes close, but doesn't ever contact the blade. I didn't even want to mention it, as people seem to think that I'm piling on about my knife.

I have a notice with a tracking number but it still says pre-shipment so I am going to be waiting a bit more. I think for me if anything really disappoints me it will be the handles, after all Elk wasn't my first or 2nd choice and I chose smooth over dark & knobby, or I might just not like the 301 as a whole this will be my first 301. I think for the time frame and what we are getting at the price we are getting it the rest of the issues are definitely not deal breakers and many may not have half the issues Buzzbait Buzzbait has had.

Seems that owning and using calipers and magnifying glasses can reduce perceived enjoyment of ownership of pocket knives.

Don't forget the hammer. Without a hammer, you can't hammer the pin and re-peen it.

Thickness behind the edge may be an issue for some. But what I'm most concerned about, is how it handles spine whacks. :D

Back