Forum Knife Updates and comments

Buzzbait Buzzbait Looks to me like you received something not quite up to our standards.
If you would like you can send it back in to Buck to my attention and I can get it replaced for you.

Just for general information on the edge thickness, these blades are spec'd to finish the fabrication process at .020"-.025"
I just measured one on my desk and its right at .020" either one made it out with a thicker grind, or the operator that edged the knife took a little too much off when profiling.

As for the Elk, it is a natural product. We do our best to get the most character, while also matching side to side.

Regards,

Caleb Cooper
Special Projects, Project Manager
Buck Knives

I received the 2018 Forum knife today and snapped a couple pictures. Both sides. I'm comfortable with this knife.
DSC03639edA.jpg DSC03642edB.jpg
The color on the elk is closer than it looks on the photos. The scales definitely have character! No 2 photo is probably the most realistic rendition of color with my eyes.

Last edited:
Buzzbait Buzzbait Looks to me like you received something not quite up to our standards.
If you would like you can send it back in to Buck to my attention and I can get it replaced for you.

Just for general information on the edge thickness, these blades are spec'd to finish the fabrication process at .020"-.025"
I just measured one on my desk and its right at .020" either one made it out with a thicker grind, or the operator that edged the knife took a little too much off when profiling.

As for the Elk, it is a natural product. We do our best to get the most character, while also matching side to side.

Regards,

Caleb Cooper
Buck Knives

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Regards,

Caleb Cooper
Buck Knives

Thank you, Caleb. I very much appreciate both the offer and the information you provided.

Mine was just delivered and I couldn’t be happier with it. The elk is what I expected from buck. The pull is about like a Victorinox SAK, with good snap, which I like. No gaps in the springs/liners. 10 passes on the strop and it slices phone book paper and shaves hair.
Into the pocket it goes!

A big thank you to all involved in making these happen.

I just took delivery of my forum knife. It is nice. Pretty good match on the Elk. Nice fit and finish. Sharp enough to shave arm hair easily. I didnt vote for Elk or long pulls, but I am pleased with how this turned out. SK Blades did a great service handling the entire process.

Regards,

Caleb Cooper
Buck Knives
Doesn't get any better than that. One of the best reasons we went with Buck.

Regards,

Caleb Cooper
Buck Knives
That's exactly as it should be, respect Buck!

Regards,

Caleb Cooper
Buck Knives
Caleb, We rarely see a manufacturer post in this forum. It's a breath of fresh air. Thanks for taking the time!

I agree. It was very nice of you Caleb to post here as the knives start to find new homes and you start seeing different reactions. This is my very first Buck folder other than a 110. I'm fairly impressed. There are little things like the spring evenness, but I could care less about that.

The snap is about a 3 on the main blade and 4 on the small blade on mine. It is enough, but I tend to like a bit heavier snap overall. Feels about like the Canal Street forum knife in terms of snap.

I won't lie and say it's a perfect example or anything like that. I didn't buy this knife to put in a collection. I bought it to put in my pocket. Buck does CPM154 excellently and not many companies are making a knife like this. All that said i feel for a production knife my sample is acceptable It has a good snap opening and closing and it looks great to me. Sure it doesn't look like one solid piece of steel on the back like some customs do. It's also not as bad as buzzbait's example. It's a middle ground. I can see it was finished by hand. I think the nail nicks were milled instead of stamped which is fine by me. It's a really great piece in my opinion. The price point was fantastic too. SK and buck have been doing some great work together and this forum knife is part of that. I'm happy with my knife and I hope many others will be too. I'll post some pictures later these are just my initial thoughts.

Thanks SK and bladeforums.

I got mine today. Happy with the scales, minimal gap.

The one issue, and it is pretty significant, is the nail nick/pull on the main blade is so shallow/rounded that it will not catch a fingernail. Only way I can open it, is to open the sheepfoot first, then pinch the main open.

Attachments

• IMG_3664 r.jpg
    IMG_3664 r.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3665 r.jpg
    IMG_3665 r.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3662 r.jpg
    IMG_3662 r.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3663 r.jpg
    IMG_3663 r.jpg