Garth Vs. Jerry . . . . The Battle Of Cheese Curds!!!

Who has the best cheese curds?

• Dairy Queen

• A&W

Results are only viewable after voting.
I can still remember squeaky cheese curds visiting my grandparents in central Kansas.

When its melted you dont know the difference. Well id say 9/10
Pre-melt, the textural difference is stark. I'd still say melted curd still has a different texture and feel combo. Specifically in poutine, the saltines of cheddar with the melty qualities of mozzarella, but still a stretchier, springy-er quality than both.

Dont let our poutine de rail you. Over all Canada sucks big time compares to the USAs fine establishments, prices and quantities !!!!

This topic has successfully lured me into Busse Town.

As of this writing, the best chain restaurant cheese curds in my experience and area of operations are:

1. Buffalo Wild Wings
2. Culver's

Now I must do additional research. I will sample the wares from the local DQ and there exists a combination A&W/Long John Silvers about 45 minutes from me (hopefully they have them).

When we visit Toronto (Ontario, Canada), poutine is available at most fast-food restaurants as well, including McDonald's. But my favorite (for sentimental reasons) is from Harvey's. The one our family ordered from always had fresh fries, so the textural experience was always on point. McDonald's was second place because of convenience - it was across the street inside a Walmart.

Why they're not offered as a standard menu item in the US is beyond me.

You guys don't know what you are missing. :p

P1010016%2B18-XL.jpg
Ooohhhh.... Cheese fondue. One of the family favorites... Had to introduce it to my girlfriend years ago... probably why she's now my wife.

Another reason may have to do with raclette cheese as well... 🤤🤤🧀

Last edited:
Ooohhhh.... Cheese fondue. One of the family favorites... Had to introduce it to my girlfriend years ago... probably why she's now my wife.

:) Love goes through the stomach as we say in German.

I'm living in the US since 30 years, but I was born in Geneva, and spent a lot of time in Switzerland. Lots of different recipes for Fondue in CH and F. I'm doing what my mom taught me ....

Here is a fun one, and forgive me if you know already, but since this is the Busse forum :) - when the evening progresses, give everybody a shot glass and keep it filled with Kirsch. Then people are supposed to dunk their bread in Kirsch before dunking it into the fondue.

As our fearless leader says: "let's drink" ! :)

Roland.

Last edited:
:) Love goes through the stomach as we say in German.

I'm living in the US since 30 years, but I was born in Geneva, and spend a lot of time in Switzerland. Lots of different recipes for Fondue in CH and F. I'm doing what my mom taught me ....

Here is a fun one, and forgive me if you know already, but since this is the Busse forum :) - when the evening progresses, give everybody a shot glass and keep it filled with Kirsch. Then people are supposed to dunk their bread in Kirsch before dunking it into the fondue.

As our fearless leader says: "let's drink" ! :)

Roland.
That's a great German saying. Here, the closest equivalent is "The quickest way to a man's heart is through the stomach."

We have been enjoying fondue for the past 20+ years but I have never heard or tried it with Kirsch!!! There is a new item on my to-try list! Thanks for the suggestion! Any specific variety/brand of kirsch you'd recommend?

Any specific variety/brand of kirsch you'd recommend?

I just take what I find, Kirsch is not too common in the US. Plus, it's used with the food together, so doesn't have to be the best.

Now the wine is a different story. I like me some dry French wines :)

Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers is my vote for best cheese curd. White cheese not obnoxiously over seasoned.

I drove 130 mile one way last Thursday to get some with one of their burgers. Worth it to check them out.

Tad

Does new york fries exist down south? When i was a kid that was the OG spot. Every good amusement park , carnival and fair would have a truck rolled in.

The Great Minnesota Get Togethers where it's at. MN State Fair has the best deep-fried cheese curds everything else is inferior.
For bonus points stop by The Red Stag Supperclub for smelt.

Yeah . . . I've been to Wisconsin and sampled their cheese curds, so . . . nope.

I've never heard of "new york fries." I have to admit that the word s "new york" in the name would make me not want to eat it.
They were sort of a specialty stand or truck pop up thing pre internet when new york (to us) meant BIG city BIG things etc etc. So it caught the attention. Now theyre a sold out blown out franchise that resides in food courts.

Back