1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Gayle Bradley Hard Use

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Andrew Colglazier, Feb 9, 2010.

1. SpeedHoles

SpeedHoles

Jan 18, 2015
    This looks like you dipped it in paint.

2. Raz94

Raz94

Jan 3, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Pretty similar actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. nlewman

nlewman

Dec 26, 2015
    I'll bet there was some waxy residue left on the blade that you didn't *quite* get

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. ejames13

ejames13 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Yea, it doesn't look like any patina I've seen. Looks almost like black cerakote.

5. Raz94

Raz94

Jan 3, 2016
    Well I left it in apple cider vinegar for about 5 hours and I would microwave it every half hour. Then I cleaned it off will rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush, and these were the finally results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Raz94

Raz94

Jan 3, 2016
    That could be true, but I cleaned it with alcohol pretty thoroughly, but I guess that's the only real explanation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    Did you microwave the blade too...?

8. Raz94

Raz94

Jan 3, 2016
    Yeah i did, would that explain the lack of patina towards the edge?

9. Raz94

Raz94

Jan 3, 2016
    Ahaha no, that sounds very dangerous.
    I read microbevel, not microwave, my bad.

10. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    LOL I was going to say...

11. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    My friend just got his GB2, so I had chance to handle it. So light & thin liner, not as confidence inspiring as GB1.The stop pin is also smaller. Definitely not feeling robust at all. It felt a normal liner lock, not a workhorse liner lock. I was shocked at how different it is ... :eek:

One must really hold both to compare, reading how light it is won't do.

Has any of GB2 owner used it as hard as Andrew (OP)?

12. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    I love everything about my GB1. I like the heft and the thick steel liner.

I would say, that if Spyderco were to do a sprint run of the GB1, say still in CPM M4, but maybe with a different colour scale, it would be one of the most eagerly anticipated and sought-after sprint runs ever. The legend of the GB1 just keeps growing. In my opinion, it was a design where everthing came together, right from the start, and needed no improvement. It is not the perfect knife for everything, but what it does well, it excels at.

Fingers crossed we have not seen the end of this great design!

AmosPaul likes this.
  13. bodog

bodog Banned BANNED

Dec 15, 2013
    That blade looks pretty cool, IMO

14. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    Totally agree that it needs no improvement. Scale can be changed, there're so many good makers here ;)

15. Zagorov

Zagorov

Jan 2, 2015
    The same thick smoked-like patina can be easily done with ferric chloride.

16. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    Because of this thread, I bought into the GB Koolaide.
    My new GB2 will be in this afternoon.

Hopefully it will live up to the hype.

17. Knifeoholic

Knifeoholic

Feb 8, 2016
    Don't worry, it tastes great!:)

18. jjm1976

jjm1976 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Have had my gb2 for about a week and a half. I now need the gb1. Kicked my pm2 out of my pocket after a good solid year and a half at least.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk