Gayle Bradley Hard Use

Is it true that the solid liner GB1 has a harder HRc M4? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Also, while we're at it, is it true that the original design for the GB2 was to have Ti liners ?

truly one of spyderco's odd ball folders i think!but i collected three GB 1's that i still have,my thought was/still is one of there best (hard use)folder on the market!no after market scales and deep carry clip would dress this guy up or even be needed hear,what you see is what you got for a hard use folder,some loved it/some hated it,i loved mine,shine on spyderco.

Is it true that the solid liner GB1 has a harder HRc M4? I thought I heard that somewhere.
I have heard that too, but don't know for sure. I've had 4 or so GB1's, and the one I kept is a solid liner. It was the best of the bunch, although all were/are superb. Just some extra refinement-mojo-juice sprinkled on this one (the non-patina-inducing mojo juice).

First post of 2018

xwfZI5S.jpg

After owning both GB1 and GB2
I have come to like the GB1 because of the way the handle fills my hand.

Two things I don't like....
Ass heavy.
The liner lock Mod was necessary.

If Spyderco does a CQI on the GB2.
Compression lock.
For now. The GB1 is king.

Last edited:
The solid liner supposed higher RC was nothing but a rumor. And frankly a really silly rumor. Spyderco optimizes their heat treat. If they changed the heat treat it was an improvement IMO...
I've owned both and I would choose the drilled liners because it's lighter and more importantly it has a better balance. They're both handle heavy.

Coulda sworn Sal was the one that mentioned the earlier higher HRC. Couldn't find it.

Coulda sworn Sal was the one that mentioned the earlier higher HRC. Couldn't find it.

Sal -

Our plan was about 62/63. Gayle Tested one and he said it was closer to 65. CPM-M4 can take the higer hardness if that's so. We'll be doing a sample testing next week.

sal

https://bladeforums.com/threads/bradley-rc.702204/

That was it and people have assumed a lot since then without any confirmation.

I'm a carpenter, and I use the Gb1 everyday as my go to work knife. I'm constantly using it to finish coping moldings , sharpen pencils , gouge out stuff. It really was designed as the perfect hard user knife. Its for people who actually need a work knife, not one to fondle and play with. The gb2 strikes me as a different animal entirely with the lack of the finger choil allowing the hand toget right up on the edge, thinner liner stock, different blade geometry ect. i feel it should have been called something else entirely. hopefully they will bring back the 1 one day.

Two things I don't like....
Ass heavy.
The liner lock Mod was necessary.
This.

I understand the nature of the knife is going to lend to weight. I also get why the liner lock is so recessed. But, since I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep my GB1, I didn't want to mod it like you did.

I will likely own another, but this is why it would be necessary for me to mod... This was after two days...
2018-04-03 16.29.09.jpg
The flat pad of my thumb does not work for disengaging the lock, so I have to use the tip... I am sure it is about technique,but I gave it a solid week of trying different ways of manipulation, and nothing satisfactory was found. However, I did feel that a notch would make this Much better/easier for my personal manipulation of the lock bar.

I think the gb1 is a genius knife design, and personally I never really had much of an issue with the lock.

However, having sold my first gb1 in a moment of supreme stupidity/money need, I had another issue with my second... and third one (don't ask) they were all much more prone to developing small rust spots than the first one.
No clue why. Maybe I carried the first one in my pocket by itself and afterwards always carried a pen and a flashlight I the pocket with my knife. No clue, can't recall.

Back