1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Gayle Bradley Hard Use

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Andrew Colglazier, Feb 9, 2010.

1. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    GB1 is on the larger side for my preference so the GB2 is just a giant to me. GB1 also has my favorite feature, a forward finger choil. Its on my to-get list.

2. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Is it true that the solid liner GB1 has a harder HRc M4? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Also, while we're at it, is it true that the original design for the GB2 was to have Ti liners ?

3. blanex1

blanex1

Feb 11, 2015
    truly one of spyderco's odd ball folders i think!but i collected three GB 1's that i still have,my thought was/still is one of there best (hard use)folder on the market!no after market scales and deep carry clip would dress this guy up or even be needed hear,what you see is what you got for a hard use folder,some loved it/some hated it,i loved mine,shine on spyderco.

4. Officer's Match

Officer's Match Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2013
    I have heard that too, but don't know for sure. I've had 4 or so GB1's, and the one I kept is a solid liner. It was the best of the bunch, although all were/are superb. Just some extra refinement-mojo-juice sprinkled on this one (the non-patina-inducing mojo juice).

5. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    First post of 2018

[​IMG]

After owning both GB1 and GB2
    I have come to like the GB1 because of the way the handle fills my hand.

Two things I don't like....
    Ass heavy.
    The liner lock Mod was necessary.

If Spyderco does a CQI on the GB2.
    Compression lock.
    For now. The GB1 is king.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  6. Razor

Razor Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 1999
    I got a new GB1 I will sell at a good price.

7. skwurll

skwurll

Oct 12, 2008
    Think the earlier solid liners were ~64

8. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    The solid liner supposed higher RC was nothing but a rumor. And frankly a really silly rumor. Spyderco optimizes their heat treat. If they changed the heat treat it was an improvement IMO...
    I've owned both and I would choose the drilled liners because it's lighter and more importantly it has a better balance. They're both handle heavy.

uxo2 likes this.
  9. skwurll

skwurll

Oct 12, 2008
    Coulda sworn Sal was the one that mentioned the earlier higher HRC. Couldn't find it.

10. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Sal -

Our plan was about 62/63. Gayle Tested one and he said it was closer to 65. CPM-M4 can take the higer hardness if that's so. We'll be doing a sample testing next week.

sal

https://bladeforums.com/threads/bradley-rc.702204/

That was it and people have assumed a lot since then without any confirmation.

skwurll and Chris "Anagarika" like this.
  11. blanex1

blanex1

Feb 11, 2015
    the one gets my vote for best beefy hard use knife.

12. dcycleman

dcycleman

Feb 16, 2009
    I'm a carpenter, and I use the Gb1 everyday as my go to work knife. I'm constantly using it to finish coping moldings , sharpen pencils , gouge out stuff. It really was designed as the perfect hard user knife. Its for people who actually need a work knife, not one to fondle and play with. The gb2 strikes me as a different animal entirely with the lack of the finger choil allowing the hand toget right up on the edge, thinner liner stock, different blade geometry ect. i feel it should have been called something else entirely. hopefully they will bring back the 1 one day.

13. uxo2

Oct 3, 2013
    Free flower pot was to tall for what I needed.

[​IMG]

14. uxo2

Oct 3, 2013
    No hard work. Easy day right now[​IMG]

Filoso, luke2236, Knifeoholic and 3 others like this.
  15. NJBillK

NJBillK Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications.

Mar 27, 2014
    This.

I understand the nature of the knife is going to lend to weight. I also get why the liner lock is so recessed. But, since I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep my GB1, I didn't want to mod it like you did.

I will likely own another, but this is why it would be necessary for me to mod... This was after two days...
    2018-04-03 16.29.09.jpg
    The flat pad of my thumb does not work for disengaging the lock, so I have to use the tip... I am sure it is about technique,but I gave it a solid week of trying different ways of manipulation, and nothing satisfactory was found. However, I did feel that a notch would make this Much better/easier for my personal manipulation of the lock bar.

uxo2 likes this.
  16. uxo2

Oct 3, 2013
    Light duty today. Carving up some old jeans into rags.

[​IMG]

17. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Chris "Anagarika" and uxo2 like this.
  18. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    Long living thread from 2010 ... :thumbsup:

luke2236, uxo2, mb> and 1 other person like this.
  19. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    "sigh"...now another one added to my "want to buy" list...:(

uxo2 likes this.
  20. vilePossum

vilePossum

Jan 14, 2015
    I think the gb1 is a genius knife design, and personally I never really had much of an issue with the lock.

However, having sold my first gb1 in a moment of supreme stupidity/money need, I had another issue with my second... and third one (don't ask) they were all much more prone to developing small rust spots than the first one.
    No clue why. Maybe I carried the first one in my pocket by itself and afterwards always carried a pen and a flashlight I the pocket with my knife. No clue, can't recall.