GEC new #43 pattern, who’s excited?

Had a Gec lock back think it was a 72 can’t remember . Really liked it except they were known to have Blade play up and down . Drove me nuts so I got rid of it . Nice knife except for that .

I have a few GEC lockbacks. Almost all of them exhibit a tiny amount of vertical blade play. Maybe a little more in my oldest 72. But GEC has definitely improved in that regard over the years. My last 72 from 2016 had almost an imperceptible amount of vertical blade, and my last Mudbug had zero blade play.

I have a few GEC lockbacks. Almost all of them exhibit a tiny amount of vertical blade play. Maybe a little more in my oldest 72. But GEC has definitely improved in that regard over the years. My last 72 from 2016 had almost an imperceptible amount of vertical blade, and my last Mudbug had zero blade play.
I really liked my 72 but that was a deal breaker for me . It definitely shied me away from any other Gec lock backs . I’d rather have a weak back spring then blade play in any direction but that’s just me and my preference:)

Rust red jigged bone shipped from Oklahoma on Saturday, received on Monday in LA (Lower Alabama) so none of the shipping delays mentioned elsewhere in the thread. I have had the knife in hand for a couple of days now and must say I am extremely pleased with it! I had prepared myself for the weak pull and lack of walk and talk but was pleasantly surprised to find none of these issues with the one I received. Although the pull is not stiff it is certainly not disappointing. I would say it is around a 5.5 or a 6 on a scale of 1-10. The knife is also pretty "snappy" as far as the walk and talk goes. I haven't even flushed the joint. I guess I was just fortunate to get one those "10%" knives that Mike mentioned. The fit and finish is outstanding! Blade is dead center, no gaps or blade rub, smooth transition from cover to bolster, blade is razor sharp (sharpest GEC factory edge I've seen). The only negative I could find (and I had to get really knit picky) is there is a variation in the satin finish on bade. There is one spot, when you hold it a certain way in the light, that looks a little different that the rest of the blade. Certainly not an issue for me as I plan on this being a knife I carry and use a lot! Just thought I would add my 2 cents as I think this a great pattern.

Rust red jigged bone shipped from Oklahoma on Saturday, received on Monday in LA (Lower Alabama) so none of the shipping delays mentioned elsewhere in the thread. I have had the knife in hand for a couple of days now and must say I am extremely pleased with it! I had prepared myself for the weak pull and lack of walk and talk but was pleasantly surprised to find none of these issues with the one I received. Although the pull is not stiff it is certainly not disappointing. I would say it is around a 5.5 or a 6 on a scale of 1-10. The knife is also pretty "snappy" as far as the walk and talk goes. I haven't even flushed the joint. I guess I was just fortunate to get one those "10%" knives that Mike mentioned. The fit and finish is outstanding! Blade is dead center, no gaps or blade rub, smooth transition from cover to bolster, blade is razor sharp (sharpest GEC factory edge I've seen). The only negative I could find (and I had to get really knit picky) is there is a variation in the satin finish on bade. There is one spot, when you hold it a certain way in the light, that looks a little different that the rest of the blade. Certainly not an issue for me as I plan on this being a knife I carry and use a lot! Just thought I would add my 2 cents as I think this a great pattern.
Well I think we’re both in the better percent :)
Congrats on your new 43 there a real sweetie !!

Mine showed up on time 30 miles south...now its 400 miles to the north and drove right through my town to get there..lol. funny my bills always show up on time.

My rust red showed up today. No shipping delays. While a little light compared to other GEC’s, the pull is ok. Mine is barely lazy on the action but very smooth. I’ll still flush it well. I didn’t inspect it too close, but nothing jumped out to me. One of the sharper GEC’s I’ve gotten but still not to my standard. I’ll profile and sharpen it in the next couple days or so.

I did get my first pin ever in the tube!

DC9D617B-3674-4CE5-9C6A-E83076AE86B1.jpeg

43 cocobolo paid for. Can't wait to see what covers I will get...now I'm interested in the orange camal bone. It looks good so far. I might have to grab one if those too...

Last edited:
Had ole rusty out in the sun and she looks like a piece of licorice :D
C8cWYHz.jpg

I do like the red that it came out. Glad I got it as I don’t care for the deep green nor the jogging on the NF.

I do like the red that it came out. Glad I got it as I don’t care for the deep green nor the jogging on the NF.
Totally agree with you on the jigging on the green . I had a 74 with that jigging and gave it away . It was a very nice knife but even better gifted. IMHO : That is not jigging but better called gouging . Some like it and some of us do not .

Harry

Last edited:
I have 8-9 GEC now and have never received a pin :(

I am very pleased with my knives though, especially this natural canvas micarta 43. It's crazy awesome.

The more I've handled the micarta 43, the more I'm happy with the action. Either I got a lucky number, or maybe others have just been very unlucky, but the action works just fine--enough walk and talk for me and I don't notice the "lighter" pull. I will say that I'm really digging the satin bolster. I think I just like satin finishes better than polished.

Now I'm not sure about the green. It looks like that first one didn't take in enough color. I hope this isn't the best example they had to show.
whm-4.jpg
Where are these being sold? I loved bulls as a kid growing up. Would be fun to have to things I loved wrapped in one package and the 43 is a great pattern IMO. Thanks

Back