GEC new #43 pattern, who’s excited?

Didn’t hurt my feelings and I think it’s great that everyone posts there feelings about the one they have . That’s partially what this thread is all about .
Again I will try and be more clear .
I just didn’t want folks that were on the fence reading a few somewhat negative opinions in areas stop them from getting what I think is a great knife .

No worries. I think there are consistencies with this pattern that aren't necessarily bad, but not for me. Which sucks, because as I said before this would be an absolutely perfect pattern to me. To the point where I would risk the wrath of my darling wife to get every single variation. I love the pattern, but the one I received is.....meh. The positive responses outnumber the not-so-positive ones by a mile, so there must be something to that...

No worries. I think there are consistencies with this pattern that aren't necessarily bad, but not for me. Which sucks, because as I said before this would be an absolutely perfect pattern to me. To the point where I would risk the wrath of my darling wife to get every single variation. I love the pattern, but the one I received is.....meh. The positive responses outnumber the not-so-positive ones by a mile, so there must be something to that...

Never keep a knife that is "meh". Even if your "meh" is not the next guys "meh" - no sense keeping it. Return it; then order another with order notes to the seller that say "No blade play - Fill or Kill".

Again this is a review of one not them all but a great review of his it was :thumbsup:
Agreed, I have the Micarta Tidioute #43 and it has a very nice snappy W&T with very nice F&F! Overall I can't speak highly enough of the fantastic example that I received:thumbsup:...I was only on the fence with regards to getting a second one in the Northfield trim due to other pending knife purchases. Perhaps a noted improvement in consistency amongst the BF members may be just the little nudge I need to push me over the top.:D

Never keep a knife that is "meh". Even if your "meh" is not the next guys "meh" - no sense keeping it. Return it; then order another with order notes to the seller that say "No blade play - Fill or Kill".

I thought about that, but unfortunately I don't think any will be what I want it to be. That's just the nature of the beast in this case, which is ok with me. And now I'm gonna beat the breaks off this knife and really use the hell out of it. Which I might not have done if it was perfect....

Thanks Joshua and Mark. I appreciate the input. It's such a shame about this pattern. I fell in love with the looks of Queen's mountain man a long time ago, but never had one, and this is very similar. The size, shape, lanyard tube...all of this is perfect to me but I reckon we can't have it all...

I’ve never had much luck with Queen Mountain Man lockbacks. Too many QC issues for me to ever want to carry one. But there is a non-locking version of the Mountain Man that is positively exceptional. A little larger that the GEC 42 or 43, and it even has a far thinner grind than the locking version of the Mountain Man. Queen’s amazing D2 steel to boot, and a pull of about 6 or 7 with no half stop. I’m a big GEC fan, but in this rare case, I’d consider the non-locking Mountain Man to be an overall upgrade. Look for one on the secondary market.

HCcQXSvh.jpg

I’ve never had much luck with Queen Mountain Man lockbacks. Too many QC issues for me to ever want to carry one. But there is a non-locking version of the Mountain Man that is positively exceptional. A little larger that the GEC 42 or 43, and it even has a far thinner grind than the locking version of the Mountain Man. Queen’s amazing D2 steel to boot, and a pull of about 6 or 7 with no half stop. I’m a big GEC fan, but in this rare case, I’d consider the non-locking Mountain Man to be an overall upgrade. Look for one on the secondary market.

HCcQXSvh.jpg

Annnnnd there it is. That, Buzz, is exactly what made me so excited for the 43. That is probably as close to a perfect knife as I'm going to see. The similarity to the 43 is exactly what made me so excited for this pattern.

Annnnnd there it is. That, Buzz, is exactly what made me so excited for the 43. That is probably as close to a perfect knife as I'm going to see. The similarity to the 43 is exactly what made me so excited for this pattern.

Yep. It’s a flat out amazing knife. I’m usually quite critical of Queen’s QC, especially in comparison to GEC, but the #3 is the exception to the rule.

Agreed, I have the Micarta Tidioute #43 and it has a very nice snappy W&T with very nice F&F! Overall I can't speak highly enough of the fantastic example that I received:thumbsup:...I was only on the fence with regards to getting a second one in the Northfield trim due to other pending knife purchases. Perhaps a noted improvement in consistency amongst the BF members may be just the little nudge I need to push me over the top.:D
Must admit it has made me take caution for another but I have to keep reminding myself what I am saying and thinking .
It helps that I Received 4 that are keepers to my standards anyway .
Maybe not to some here but that’s not as important to me :)

Nice knives. Since this is a larger knife, you would think the pull would be at a 6 or 7. This beaver is about a 4.5 and red is at 5. With the blade extended I could push down on the spine easily on the beaver. I don't like that. Thank heavens for that half stop.
Zooh2fl.jpg

Keep in mind that someone earlier flushed there’s very well with water and oiled and it got rid of the lazy action.

I’m ok with a little light pull as long as it’s not too lazy. I do not want to have to push the blade into position. We’ll find out Thursday I hope when mine arrives!

Keep in mind that someone earlier flushed there’s very well with water and oiled and it got rid of the lazy action.

I’m ok with a little light pull as long as it’s not too lazy. I do not want to have to push the blade into position. We’ll find out Thursday I hope when mine arrives!
My rusty red snaps to half stop now from fully opened after a flush and couch time :)

My rusty red snaps to half stop now from fully opened after a flush and couch time :)

My beaver is confused, lazy & insolent (approx 4 to 5 pull) :p

Where this knife shines is during use -- extremely sharp right out of the tube.

The blade profile & size of the knife is amazing for slicing & dicing fruit & veggie-tables.

Great value & certainly worth a purchase -- Nice Knife :D

Quick question about the #43 Beaver Tail, does it come with a collector's pin? Mine arrived today with no pin. I just throw them in the tube anyway but if there's supposed to be one I would like to have it since it'll hurt the trade value without. Online descriptions don't seem to mention one but some photos show one alongside the knife.

As for the knife itself fit is spot on with perfect centering and just the level of walk and talk I like on a folder this size. Finish is a bit spotty with uneven staining of the wood and some rough edges. Once I'm sure it's a keeper I'll sand it a bit and oil the wood. No big deal but really shouldn't be required for an over 80 dollar knife.

Last edited:
I personally don't mind a "gentle" walk and talk as long as the blade reports to is position. When I have to push it completely into position, that is a minor issue in finish to me. I have found no play in these #43 blades; to be honest I think the factory was trying to eliminate any play and just went too tight for the spring provided. But, the vast majority of the #43's I have handled have had light action (walk and talk). The pull strength is light, but acceptable (at a 4 on my scale). The gauged pull pressure to go from full open to half stop is light, but acceptable (at 1.15 - 1.25lbs). It is mainly the flow action that is light. Probably 10% of the ones I have handled have needed pressure all the way into position and went out at a discount. Maybe 10% have actually come out of the tube a bit snappy (good snap). After handling several I believe they will break-in to better action as they start getting used; but a spa would definitely speed the process. I have had many people already report back that they are a welcomed surprise due to arthritis, etc. and I have had many people already report back that they are too light for their preferences. But, if you are looking for stand up and salute snap, this is probably not your model at this point.

Oh man, if a knife doesn't close on its own aka have a preference to get to and stay in the closed position that's about as serious an issue as I can think of for me. It makes it a safety hazard. It can fool you into thinking it works correctly, then when it's not closed because it doesn't function right it can stab or cut. It's a silent killer!

What does "Fill or Kill" mean? Fill the order as stated or cancel the order?

Quick question about the #43 Beaver Tail, does it come with a collector's pin? Mine arrived today with no pin. I just throw them in the tube anyway but if there's supposed to be one I would like to have it since it'll hurt the trade value without. Online descriptions don't seem to mention one but some photos show one alongside the knife.

As for the knife itself fit is spot on with perfect centering and just the level of walk and talk I like on a folder this size. Finish is a bit spotty with uneven staining of the wood and some rough edges. Once I'm sure it's a keeper I'll sand it a bit and oil the wood. No big deal but really shouldn't be required for an over 80 dollar knife.

I think that they don't all come with a pin and it's random. At least that's been the case on some other runs.

Oh man, if a knife doesn't close on its own aka have a preference to get to and stay in the closed position that's about as serious an issue as I can think of for me. It makes it a safety hazard. It can fool you into thinking it works correctly, then when it's not closed because it doesn't function right it can stab or cut. It's a silent killer!

Although my post made no reference to not staying closed, that would be a problem. Not one I have ever seen on a GEC knife.

What does "Fill or Kill" mean? Fill the order as stated or cancel the order?

An old stock trading criteria. Means if you can't meet the criteria in full, cancel the order with no communication required.

I understand pins are completely random.

Generally, correct. As with everything else there are exceptions - for example some patterns they decide to put a pin in EVERY tube. But if you don't get one, 99% chance they are random for that run.

Back