GEC Q & A! keep it clean, NO discussion! for beginners, advanced and experts

You stirin the pot or what, lol. Loaded question right there. I have a feeling I know the direction you'd lean.....where is that beautiful 73?

Hahaha...the #73 is definitely a contender with its square and flush joint. And that stag #73 is my most treasured knife. But I don't think it's GEC's best pattern. That title goes to the #93 WAYNORTH lamsbsfoot. In terms of traditional spring knives, that knife is The One.

That title goes to the #93 WAYNORTH lamsbsfoot.
A very respectable choice.
While the Charlie Lamb is a great knife, I could not put it anywhere near the top of GEC patterns for me.
Collectability is off the charts, and it's one of my most treasured knives, but the angle of the blade ranks it lower in use-ability... and that trumps all.
I hope they run the pattern again, and i hope they fix that slight problem, and then I'll agree with you... it will be a knife that probably never leaves my pocket.

Last edited:
Very nice! Now, can we confirm GEC was doing their own scale dye/jigging in 2006? Or, were they using Culpepper dyed/jigged bone? I thought I remembered some gator jigged bone or serpent jigged bone 73's that were Culpepper. Maybe I'm mistaken.

They were doing there own right from the start. I remember that was a big part of the attraction back then, especially with the diamondback and horsecut being so unique. Of course they likely had a bit of Culpepper thrown in as well but for the most part it was their own.

2006 was their first produced knife, is that when the business was started? Or had Bill been working at it for a couple few years? Maybe gathering equipment for a decade? I'm curious not being a smart ###.

All the 2006's came out in 2006. The only exception was the primitive bone. Those were made right at the cusp of 2006-2007 so some were tang stamped "2006" and some were stamped "2006-2007" as transition knives.

I believe they were setting up the shop in 2005, maybe even 2004. Some of the equipment came from the Schrade auction.

Eric

Last edited:
is the acorn shield likely to be used on a folder again or is the acorn bolster going to be the new standard for SS?

A very respectable choice.
While the Charlie Lamb is a great knife, I could not put it anywhere near the top of GEC patterns for me.
Collectability is off the charts, and it's one of my most treasured knives, but the angle of the blade ranks it lower in use-ability... and that trumps all.
I hope they run the pattern again, and i hope they fix that slight problem, and then I'll agree with you... it will be a knife that probably never leaves my pocket.

Lol...I think the design is on point as is. I wouldn't like it as much if it had the blade droop that you prefer.

black mamba black mamba Thanks Jeff! It's a very pretty knife and I was amused that it arrived in a giant tube to house the sheath etc. As for rarities, your collection is a benchmark of taste.

Regards, Will

What is your FAVOURITE GEC frame and why?

For me, it's the 38. Why? They're all beautiful, unusual, different and there's still future potential for a truly great Big Penknife

I guess those 2 Old Codgers won't be there anymore , but I sure hope you and your young men make it for as long as you can . Those were Good Times my friend .

Harry
Fact is Harry, IF I were not pathologically afraid of flying, IF unlimited money came my way making an ocean liner trip possible, IF this Covid crap hadn't messed up life&situations then I'd come and be your chauffeur for the next Rendezvous :) That's a lot of IFs but you never know...if only.

Regards, Will

Fact is Harry, IF I were not pathologically afraid of flying, IF unlimited money came my way making an ocean liner trip possible, IF this Covid crap hadn't messed up life&situations then I'd come and be your chauffeur for the next Rendezvous :) That's a lot of IFs but you never know...if only.

Regards, Will
If YOU will be there , I will find a Way my friend . I have always wanted to meet you and just sit and talk .

Harry

The #53 Cuban Stockman, of course!

1yYyPWJ.jpg

Ho5Qfee.jpg

UhnIJ0H.jpg
Those Slant Bolsters are Bees Knees :cool: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

is the acorn shield likely to be used on a folder again or is the acorn bolster going to be the new standard for SS?
I would imagine we will see the acorn shield again. The 89 was kinda skinny for it, they stopped putting shields on stag, and the 05 was too small for it anyway. Shields on Barlows are wrong, but the 86 kept with the acorn theme.

I would expect it may be some time until we see the acorn shield again, though.

They were doing there own right from the start. I remember that was a big part of the attraction back then, especially with the diamondback and horsecut being so unique. Of course they likely had a bit of Culpepper thrown in as well but for the most part it was their own.

All the 2006's came out in 2006. The only exception was the primitive bone. Those were made right at the cusp of 2006-2007 so some were tang stamped "2006" and some were stamped "2006-2007" as transition knives.

I believe they were setting up the shop in 2005, maybe even 2004. Some of the equipment came from the Schrade auction.

Eric
Thanks Eric. That's what I was hoping to learn about. How long were they "setting up". I figured there would be a logistics time even though they were "in business". Does anyone know exactly when Bill separated from Queen? Was there a distict break or was he ramping up GEC and working at Queen? This is the stuff that collectors 100 years from now will want to know.

the general age dynamic of the attendees has shifted since my first rendezvous, its now literally an all night bash. hotter than a sneaker line up or ticket concert camping. Ive seen the footage. Folks did ask where was I, I was trying to get some sleep at Cross Creek :rolleyes:šŸ˜‚
You missed a lot that night my dude.

A question for those GEC aficionados who by far more knowledgeable than me, does the new AB2 qualify as a Granddaddy Barlow? šŸ¤·

Back