Got extra Survive! Knives supplies?

Anyone interested in a GSO 5.1 (Old Spec) Leather Sheath made by SkyStorm? I prefer the kydex with a dangler but it's in new condition.

Does anyone have an red linen scales? I'd be willing to trade that sky storm sheath or buy them: new 4.1, new 5.1, old 5.1, old 5???

This is a long shot, but does anyone have any black g-10 scales for the 2.7? I would buy or trade...I have a set of ghost jade and natural micarta.
Thanks!

I don't know what it is about me and black G10, I think it was Jonny's incredible pics of his 4.7. Because I've ALWAYS chosen black CANVAS Micarta because if it's grippieness over G10.
I would wager to say that a month after I got my hands on some black G10, that I'd be looking to trade it off.
Does that make me weird or a knife nut? Err, fanatic. :)
I wish the black canvas Micarta slabs were blacker. I wish they all had deeper tones. I know about mineral oil, but don't you have to keep reapplying?

I don't know what it is about me and black G10, I think it was Jonny's incredible pics of his 4.7. Because I've ALWAYS chosen black CANVAS Micarta because if it's grippieness over G10.
I would wager to say that a month after I got my hands on some black G10, that I'd be looking to trade it off.
Does that make me weird or a knife nut? Err, fanatic. :)
I wish the black canvas Micarta slabs were blacker. I wish they all had deeper tones. I know about mineral oil, but don't you have to keep reapplying?
You're totally not weird :D

I've been thinking for a few handles now they should rebrand the black micarta as Wolf Gray. One I've had for a year and it's darkened a bit from use, but if it is brand new and dry, it's totally dark gray.

All my original orders were some form of black handles and sheath, but now I'd be happy branching out to almost any color G10.

I used to steer away from the G10 because folks would say it's too slippery and they kept cutting their fingers off by accident, but now I can't get enough of the feel of microtextured G10.

You're totally not weird :D

I've been thinking for a few handles now they should rebrand the black micarta as Wolf Gray. One I've had for a year and it's darkened a bit from use, but if it is brand new and dry, it's totally dark gray.

All my original orders were some form of black handles and sheath, but now I'd be happy branching out to almost any color G10.

I used to steer away from the G10 because folks would say it's too slippery and they kept cutting their fingers off by accident, but now I can't get enough of the feel of microtextured G10.
The microtexturing is an excellent improvement to the feel of the G10.

The only downside to the g-10 slabs is the weight, they are noticeably heavier than the micarta ones and make the knives I have more handle heavy and not balance as well. Maybe in the future they can be hollowed out a bit to match the micarta weights ;)
I wish there were more of the supplies (handles) available on the website, I'd order g-10 textured for all my knives in all the colors!
That microtexture is next level for g-10

For a minute there I thought I had a new project, but then I realized that I don't have both G10 and micarta scales for the same model.
Sigh... Somebody else will have to post the relative weights.

I guess, once again, I've led a sheltered life and I've never felt the micro-textured ones. But, even at that, which ones are grippier wet or dry? Those or canvas micarta?
I mean, if you lived waaaaay out on a farm with no machinery and had to plow by hand, would you want a 10 like Kate Upton who couldn't pull a plow, or a 5 who could? o_O

The textured G10 has more bite than the canvas micarta, the feel is different and they are both good.
The canvas micarta stains more easily (absorbs liquids like oils from handling) but has a somewhat softer feel.
I haven't handled Survive's linen micarta (until my UB 4.1 or my 7/7 presale arrives) so I can't comment on how it feels.
The difference comes down to how the two materials are made and surface finished, the G10 contains glass fibers and the microtexture ridges are what improve the grip.
The canvas and linen micarta are left with a less polished surface texture and the exposed fabric is what improves the grip.
I've had really slippery handles in both materials from other (unnamed) knife makers but I really like both materials as done by Survive.

I have all 3 handle types with the microtexturing-
Canvas is the softest feel, you can feel the larger fibers. Grippy but with some give and a soft fuzzy surface. Most people have experience with rough finished micarta and it's pretty much as you would expect. Linen has a very fine\refined feel.. but different.. high grit sandpaper almost. Or a soft sharkskin like texture. I really like this material, even over the canvas micarta. Feels smoother yet grippier at the same time if that makes sense. G-10 with the texture is hard\dense. No give, smooth, but with the added 3d texture gives a unique feel that is hard to describe. Almost alien, like something from the future haha. I like G-10 the best followed by linen.

Kurpak now you have me all excited about the green linen UB 4.1 that I snapped up last week. Linen is the one material I haven't tried with the new texture yet. I really like the G-10 texture though, it is a huge grip improvement over non textured.

Wasn't it Standard78 Standard78 who was RIT dying the canvas to darken them? I wonder how they're holding up.
Yeah that's one of the tricks I think I learned from 91bravo on the old ESEE forum.
The dye lasts for a really long time when it's on canvas micarta but it seems to fade a bit on linen micarta after a bunch of use.

Yeah that's one of the tricks I think I learned from 91bravo on the old ESEE forum.
The dye lasts for a really long time when it's on canvas micarta but it seems to fade a bit on linen micarta after a bunch of use.

Maybe because the fibers are a little more open and so it's drawn in more? Hmmm. Sounds like a good process for the canvas scales though. Thanks for the update bud.

Kurpak now you have me all excited about the green linen UB 4.1 that I snapped up last week. Linen is the one material I haven't tried with the new texture yet. I really like the G-10 texture though, it is a huge grip improvement over non textured.

I was thinking the same thing. I haven't tried the linen on a GSO, and never textured linen on anything. I hope you'll post your thoughts on the scales on the Ugly Betty when you get her.

I don't know guys. What will happen to that dye if the knife happens to be left out in a hot 90 degree sun. Would it run or bleed in your sweaty palm?

RIT dye is a permanent fabric dye, so once it is cured and the excess is washed off it ought to be pretty stable.

I've rit dyed micarta and g-10. Haven't had any problems so far...the 4.7 stayed in the car for a week while at the beach. Melted the kydex sheath a little, but didn't mess with the scales. I used the rit dye for "synthetics" on the GSO 4.7..it used to be orange g-10 and you can still see a little orange peeking through.

Back