• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Great Eastern Cutlery Availability, Dealers, "Drops", Etc.: A Place for People to Vent

I was sitting in the library this morning. An email from a certain dealer pinged my phone. I touched the email link, dropped one into the cart, touched the pay with PayPal, entered the secret code, said “ok”, back to the dealer it went and I concluded the deal. Should be here Friday whilst I’m getting another chemo session. Something to look forward to when I get home. Took about three or four minutes. Sometimes you get lucky.
Beautiful, well done. You need some good luck to go your way, hope everything works out well for you.

Beautiful, well done. You need some good luck to go your way, hope everything works out well for you.
Thanks. Going ok so far. Not curable, but so far manageable. Each day at a time. GEC knives make me smile, so that’s good. I will post some photos in the GEC 97/Lamb Foot thread.

Great observations!

I'll be very interested to see if any "frenzy" carries over to the also-new 29 Humpback coming up. I suspect it will cost a bit more for sure, but I think production numbers should be similar to the Ramfoot.

I doubt it, but you never know. Now the upcoming 86.. that's going to be a hot one.

I doubt it, but you never know. Now the upcoming 86.. that's going to be a hot one.
I'm stoked to see the options for the 86.
I find it interesting to see which patterns are the big movers.

I also think it a bit odd that the forum wasn't offered a 29 pattern option for the forum knife. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Several places on GEC dealers list have not released yet
send me a message if you need help
Thank very much, really appreciated. But with the time difference it is really difficult, especially the time zone areas over there, You look after yourself mate and you try and get what you really want. Thanks again for your generous offer.

They keep dropping while I'm at work and by the time I can check my email all gone. :( Wanted a blue but will keep trying for a cocobolo

I have to admit being straight up mystified at the crazy popularity of the Ramfoot. Could it be the fairly low (for GEC) price?

I mean, the Lamb Foots I get, but I just don't see how the 93 isn't just a glorified 47. With no lanyard tube! ETA: the new pic in the Ramfoot thread does help.

There are a lot of things going for the 93 right now.
  1. It is a single blade Jack, that is an immensely popular configuration. Plus as much as we might gripe about how many straight edged blades GEC produces, it is a very useful blade and it has proven to pair very well with a swayback frame.
  2. The production pictures show an alluringly beautiful knife. That drives a lot of interest.
  3. Interesting cover choices (that Cocobolo is just fire).
  4. A very hot SFO accompanying the run and driving up the exposure.
  5. You wouldn't know it from the secondary prices... But the retail prices hit a nice sweet spot for GEC knives. Under $90 in most cases (not counting SFOs).
I will also add that when folks see a knife that retails under 100 buck (ish) and that they can easily turn it around by tacking an additional 60, 80, 100+ dollars and get a tidy profit, that drives up the pseudo popularity as well.

I'm stoked to see the options for the 86.
I find it interesting to see which patterns are the big movers.

I also think it a bit odd that the forum wasn't offered a 29 pattern option for the forum knife. Not a complaint, just an observation.

I am also pretty excited to see the 86. I am hoping for some excellent cover choices.

You can expect the #29 to fetch well over $100 retail with it being a 3-blade knife. Since the forum knife guidelines suggest keeping it under or as close to $100 as possible, it would not be feasible or attractive to suggest the #29 as a forum option, especially with all of the demands that we would make of it in terms of features.

There are a lot of things going for the 93 right now.
  1. It is a single blade Jack, that is an immensely popular configuration. Plus as much as we might gripe about how many straight edged blades GEC produces, it is a very useful blade and it has proven to pair very well with a swayback frame.
  2. The production pictures show an alluringly beautiful knife. That drives a lot of interest.
  3. Interesting cover choices (that Cocobolo is just fire).
  4. A very hot SFO accompanying the run and driving up the exposure.
  5. You wouldn't know it from the secondary prices... But the retail prices hit a nice sweet spot for GEC knives. Under $90 in most cases (not counting SFOs).
I will also add that when folks see a knife that retails under 100 buck (ish) and that they can easily turn it around by tacking an additional 60, 80, 100+ dollars and get a tidy profit, that drives up the pseudo popularity as well.

I am also pretty excited to see the 86. I am hoping for some excellent cover choices.

You can expect the #29 to fetch well over $100 retail with it being a 3-blade knife. Since the forum knife guidelines suggest keeping it under or as close to $100 as possible, it would not be feasible or attractive to suggest the #29 as a forum option, especially with all of the demands that we would make of it in terms of features.
Lots of good observations.

I think that "flipability" and low retail are huge factors for the 93, plus like you said, the CC SFO that most missed.

I think its about time that the 100 dollar cap be reconsidered, regarding the forum knife.

Back