1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Great Eastern Cutlery Availability, Dealers, "Drops", Etc.: A Place for People to Vent

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by stevekolt, Jun 21, 2019.

1. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    You’re right, Ray. He should have made it $400.:)

@jkwithawave I think there has been a great deal of interest in the Lambsfoot, and because of the deserved reverence for Charlie.

Kiteman72 and jkwithawave like this.
  2. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I thought I had gotten skunked on the 93 Lamb SFO, with a stroke of luck, my favorite dealer was able to hook me up.

I feel so fortunate, it would never occur to me to part with this particular knife at any price.

cigarrodog, jkwithawave and mb> like this.
  3. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    It’s still there. That rubbed me the wrong way too. It’s odd that the GEC sales kind of have an accepted value increase...over time. But the immediate flip of one so desired by so many folks...just didn’t sit well with me.

In a completely OPPOSITE spirit, a very cool and thoughtful member reached out to sell me one at cost the other night. That blew me away. THAT is what makes this a great place to hang out. Heck, you might even say that builds a sense of community huh?

FWIW, I believe you can do whatever the heck you want with your stuff. I usually don’t even bother commenting on this subject. But I just saw both extremes of the spectrum in a matter of days...so there you go. :cool:

bbk357, Ramrodmb, Kiro and 5 others like this.
  4. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    the take away is to remember that there are good eggs out there. I remember a few drops back for the 77 barlow single blade micarta, i had walked out the hospital and went to the gym after work and missed the release email and thus the release. Someone reached out and sold his extra one to me at cost + shipping which I was more than happy to pay. Some dealers are constantly working hard to make it fair for us while other dealers are less scrupulous and are after the profit. It all works itself out in the end

5. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    What were the Lambsfoot sfos going for at retail?

6. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    $135/$145-155 +tax and shipping, depending. The bone was the higher of course.

Norcaldude likes this.
  7. Kiro

Kiro Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I see Oily Creek's sitting at a couple dealers. Maybe a bit of that initial frenzy has worn off? All though I expect the Northfields to be quite popular.

8. Behr95

Behr95 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2018
    You should put this kind of effort into purchasing your knives.

9. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Oh, I do. A couple of mouse clicks doesn't take much effort. ;)

Ramrodmb likes this.
  10. steelnut

steelnut Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    33 Cocobolo gone in 2 minutes
    Swoosh!

BigKurtHaze likes this.
  11. BigKurtHaze

BigKurtHaze

Aug 2, 2015
    And silly me, comparing pics of different grain patterns. :rolleyes:

Elgatodeacero and Kiteman72 like this.
  12. cigarrodog

May 18, 2014
    I give them credit for giving an advanced heads-up on the drop. Allowing a much sought after 93 two per customer not so much. Despite the constant cart sniping, I was fortunate in getting one.

steelnut, BigKurtHaze and Kiteman72 like this.
  13. steelnut

Jan 9, 2007
    I did not look at all until after I paid!

cigarrodog and BigKurtHaze like this.
  14. Kiteman72

Jan 22, 2015
    I have to admit being straight up mystified at the crazy popularity of the Ramfoot. Could it be the fairly low (for GEC) price?

I mean, the Lamb Foots I get, but I just don't see how the 93 isn't just a glorified 47. With no lanyard tube! ETA: the new pic in the Ramfoot thread does help.

willc likes this.
  15. cigarrodog

May 18, 2014
    Some are excited by a new model. There is also a pent up demand, especially if you couldn’t land a lamb. The crazed desire for something new is a phenomena that I have observed and have been guilty of myself in the Traditionals.

Kiteman72 likes this.
  16. Kiteman72

Jan 22, 2015
    Great observations!

I'll be very interested to see if any "frenzy" carries over to the also-new 29 Humpback coming up. I suspect it will cost a bit more for sure, but I think production numbers should be similar to the Ramfoot.

cigarrodog likes this.
  17. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Some times you just have to laugh. I am old and have very limited computer skills. Was set up to try and get a Cocobolo Ramsfoot right on release time, now i know i had more chance of putting on a superman cape and flying to the moon and back, and i was right, they were all gone before i could get one into my cart. Was funny, it was like me trying to beat Usain Bolt in a foot race. o_Oo_Oo_O:D:D:D

18. natchezz

natchezz Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2006
    @cudgee , Sounds like you could use a proxy buyer! :p

19. steelnut

Jan 9, 2007
    I have not seen any of the authorized eBay GEC dealers list any cocobolo yet?
    I was checking all day

20. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I was sitting in the library this morning. An email from a certain dealer pinged my phone. I touched the email link, dropped one into the cart, touched the pay with PayPal, entered the secret code, said “ok”, back to the dealer it went and I concluded the deal. Should be here Friday whilst I’m getting another chemo session. Something to look forward to when I get home. Took about three or four minutes. Sometimes you get lucky.

palonej and cigarrodog like this.