• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Great Eastern Cutlery Availability, Dealers, "Drops", Etc.: A Place for People to Vent

I’ve bought knives from Gary, from His website and off eBay,
I have always been happy:thumbsup:

That’s good.
I’m sure he’s not horrible- but selling your stock on eBay to get more profit instead of your fan base is pretty shady if you ask me.

And to be honest, your opinion on sellers does not mean much to me since you were the only one backing Mac before he was banned.

I’ve bought knives from Gary, from His website and off eBay,
I have always been happy:thumbsup:

From what I recall it wasn't necessarily bad business stuff, just him being an unpleasant person. I have some vague recollection of him showing up in a slipjoint FB group I was part of and reinforcing the impression that he was personally unpleasant.

your opinion on sellers does not mean much to me since you were the only one backing Mac before he was banned.

I actually bought a flipped knife off of Mac,
Love it, I knew it wasn't original price and I did not care,
I am one of the "Victims" of Mac...Lol

In my pocket still...

0ubusuY.jpg

Is it weird that I have a problem when scalpers set a really high "buy it now" price... But don't really have much of a problem when they set it as an auction style with the reserve around the MSRP of the knife and it ends up going for a lot. Idk... But that one little difference is important to me for some reason.

I actually bought a flipped knife off of Mac,
Love it, I knew it wasn't original price and I did not care,
I am one of the "Victims" of Mac...Lol

In my pocket still...

0ubusuY.jpg

Again- good for you, but after that fun thread I’ll pass on all of your advice regarding sellers.
And thanks for the bold lettering.

Is it weird that I have a problem when scalpers set a really high "buy it now" price... But don't really have much of a problem when they set it as an auction style with the reserve around the MSRP of the knife and it ends up going for a lot. Idk... But that one little difference is important to me for some reason.

I have absolutely no issue with people who put knives up for auction. Heck- the bidders are totally setting the price. But putting them up for buy it now prices of 100-200 more than msrp, that gets my goose. I’ve sold plenty of knives on eBay for auction. And some have been because I’ve tried to sell on forums and they don’t go.

That’s fair, lol
And for what it’s worth
I’m sorry old Mac beat you to the Smooth ivory bone BS:p

Last edited:
Pre-orders are generally frowned upon here. Too many instances of knifemakers taking money and not making/delivering knives.

precisely, or you get the redhill cutlery canal street revival debacle. accepted money in July 2018, knives didn't go out until 3/2019

Someone manages to buy a super-hot knife, maybe two or three, at retail. A day later they are all sold out at dealers. Many people are disappointed and clamoring for more which is unlikely to happen. Then that someone offers those hot knives for double what he paid and a few other people buy them because they can.

What’s the problem for everyone else? Seems they aren’t willing to pay market value and are righteously indignant.

Why bash the seller and the buyers?

Why don't dealers run a Dutch auction? No nightmare scramble, the price is set by the buyers, and the extra profit goes to the dealer.

Why don't dealers run a Dutch auction? No nightmare scramble, the price is set by the buyers, and the extra profit goes to the dealer.
That method works for A.G. Russell’s Cutting Edge knives.

I think the dealers are pretty happy. They sell all their inventory in minutes most of the time after they make it available

It seems to me the ethos of "The Porch" is more about a sense of community and appreciation of traditional knives instead of a greed is good motivation where a few grab as much as they can carry and leave others with a bare table. Maybe if those early birds held and used their knives there would be less push back vs. the folks who will grab as much as can be jammed in the cart and then list them on eBay before they've even had them in hand.

I'm slightly surprised it still took an hour. Priced anywhere near the $200mark and it would have been gone in minutes.

I'm also kind of surprised that's the first of the lambsfoot I've seen on the exchange.

Back