1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

3. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Great Eastern Cutlery Availability, Dealers, "Drops", Etc.: A Place for People to Vent

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by stevekolt, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    \]

Ahhhh.....well....that seems a bit unsavory.

2. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018

And now that the thread was moved, it was Kifer Cutlery.

Ramrodmb and Norcaldude like this.
  3. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seems like I have heard some unpleasant things about that seller in the past. Don't remember what it was, but it was enough to put em on my mental 'don't buy from' list.

Ramrodmb and bbk357 like this.
  4. steelnut

steelnut Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I’ve bought knives from Gary, from His website and off eBay,
    I have always been happy:thumbsup:

5. bbk357

Mar 12, 2018

That’s good.
    I’m sure he’s not horrible- but selling your stock on eBay to get more profit instead of your fan base is pretty shady if you ask me.

And to be honest, your opinion on sellers does not mean much to me since you were the only one backing Mac before he was banned.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  6. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    From what I recall it wasn't necessarily bad business stuff, just him being an unpleasant person. I have some vague recollection of him showing up in a slipjoint FB group I was part of and reinforcing the impression that he was personally unpleasant.

bbk357 likes this.
  7. steelnut

Jan 9, 2007
    I actually bought a flipped knife off of Mac,
    Love it, I knew it wasn't original price and I did not care,
    I am one of the "Victims" of Mac...Lol

In my pocket still...

[​IMG]

8. Fixall

Fixall Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Is it weird that I have a problem when scalpers set a really high "buy it now" price... But don't really have much of a problem when they set it as an auction style with the reserve around the MSRP of the knife and it ends up going for a lot. Idk... But that one little difference is important to me for some reason.

9. bbk357

Mar 12, 2018

Again- good for you, but after that fun thread I’ll pass on all of your advice regarding sellers.
    And thanks for the bold lettering.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  10. bbk357

Mar 12, 2018

I have absolutely no issue with people who put knives up for auction. Heck- the bidders are totally setting the price. But putting them up for buy it now prices of 100-200 more than msrp, that gets my goose. I’ve sold plenty of knives on eBay for auction. And some have been because I’ve tried to sell on forums and they don’t go.

11. steelnut

Jan 9, 2007
    That’s fair, lol
    And for what it’s worth
    I’m sorry old Mac beat you to the Smooth ivory bone BS:p

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  12. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I’m glad I got into customs because no GEC is worth half of what I’ve paid for 1 of a kind orders.

SVTFreak and mrknife like this.
  13. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    precisely, or you get the redhill cutlery canal street revival debacle. accepted money in July 2018, knives didn't go out until 3/2019

14. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Someone manages to buy a super-hot knife, maybe two or three, at retail. A day later they are all sold out at dealers. Many people are disappointed and clamoring for more which is unlikely to happen. Then that someone offers those hot knives for double what he paid and a few other people buy them because they can.

What’s the problem for everyone else? Seems they aren’t willing to pay market value and are righteously indignant.

Why bash the seller and the buyers?

15. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Why don't dealers run a Dutch auction? No nightmare scramble, the price is set by the buyers, and the extra profit goes to the dealer.

16. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    That method works for A.G. Russell’s Cutting Edge knives.

17. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I think the dealers are pretty happy. They sell all their inventory in minutes most of the time after they make it available

It seems to me the ethos of "The Porch" is more about a sense of community and appreciation of traditional knives instead of a greed is good motivation where a few grab as much as they can carry and leave others with a bare table. Maybe if those early birds held and used their knives there would be less push back vs. the folks who will grab as much as can be jammed in the cart and then list them on eBay before they've even had them in hand.

Ramrodmb, mb>, gaj999 and 2 others like this.
  18. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Ramrodmb and joeradza like this.
  19. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    SPF, in less than 1 hour, Harvey @cigarrodog - no matter the price. :eek: :rolleyes:

Ray

20. jkwithawave

jkwithawave ..... Platinum Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I'm slightly surprised it still took an hour. Priced anywhere near the $200mark and it would have been gone in minutes.

I'm also kind of surprised that's the first of the lambsfoot I've seen on the exchange.