Great Movie Knives

The Fremen Crysknife from Dune. Hatori Hanzo Sword. Any of em from KIll Bill Vol I and II>

there's a good foreign film on Netflix called Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale about an evil, ancient Santa being unearthed and the protagonists are Scandinavian reindeer Hunters.

One of the Hunters was making a spike pit trap for wolves, he was shaping the wooden spikes with an interesting machete type blade that has a sudden forward hook near the tip, and a long handle.

he also butchers some game with a large ax. At another point they are getting ready to butcher another creature and they have some nice, old school skinning knives that are quite long.

there's a good foreign film on Netflix called Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale about an evil, ancient Santa being unearthed and the protagonists are Scandinavian reindeer Hunters.

One of the Hunters was making a spike pit trap for wolves, he was shaping the wooden spikes with an interesting machete type blade that has a sudden forward hook near the tip, and a long handle.

he also butchers some game with a large ax. At another point they are getting ready to butcher another creature and they have some nice, old school skinning knives that are quite long.

Good call!

The highly descriptive knife tactics and fights in the actual book were fantastic. :thumbup:
Lots of knife content in the movie version. The Atreides carried Fairbairn and Sykes daggers, and I believe the Harkonens carried Gerber daggers (MK2's I think, with gold painted handles). And the emperor had a different knife alltogether (custom prop I'm sure).

The story of the crysknife was interesting. They were made from the teeth of giant sandworms. There were two types of crysknives (I can't remember the exact terms, something like "treated" and "untreated", or "stabilized" and "unstabilized"), one had to be kept in proximity to a human body at all times otherwise it would decay and disintegrate. The other was safe for storage.

"May thy blade chip and shatter".

:D

Last edited:

It's Finnish movie, and machete type knife is actually pretty good definition because they are commonly used here in machete type jobs. In Finland they call them "vesuri", and in English I believe they are called billhooks. I'm not sure how common they are in US for instance.

It's Finnish movie, and machete type knife is actually pretty good definition because they are commonly used here in machete type jobs. In Finland they call them "vesuri", and in English I believe they are called billhooks. I'm not sure how common they are in US for instance.

Pretty common

billhook_zpsaea0335f.gif

I quite like this one though

billhook1_zps0d588f72.jpg

I took my daughter to see ”Oz the great and powerful” and he made good use if an oversized prop sak several times throughout the movie.

I was pleased with how they are showing the younger generation what a useful tool a knife can be.

The new Entertainment Weekly has Fast and Furious 6 featured on the cover...Letty(Michelle Rodriguez) has a knife VERY prominently clipped to the front of her pants...looks to be a stainless Spyderco of some sort.

I watched "Olympus has fallen" a little while back and there were some cool OTF autos, I don't know if they were good ones or just cheap props.

Watched Friday the 13th part 5 last night. Anyone know what kind of knife Tommy had in that one? It looks kind of similar to a Buck, but I'm guessing its a older Kershaw.

Just watched a German movie yesterday called "Hell" set in a Book of Eli-ish post-apocalyptic world where, in one scene, these three people stop at an abandoned gas station and then their car won't start again. A fourth person shows up and at first he attacks them, then helps them with the car. There's a brief shot of him poking under the hood with a Vic SwissTool of some kind.

Back