Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

IOzaOWG.jpg

Here's another shot from the day it arrived, it has since begun acquiring a nice patina.
Great photo David! :thumbsup::cool:

Good morning, Guardians!
0wdthD6.jpg

Cool pic Vince :thumbsup:

Took puppy out for a walk this is the front of the pub, you can see the top of our building in the background.
View attachment 1135688

That's handy Dave! :D :thumbsup:

Beautiful grain in that Ironwood Ron, your photo shows it off to perfection :thumbsup:

On this Memorial Day, I hope you will join me and take a moment to remember all the fallen men and women who fought valiantly to protect human freedom across the globe.
How about a baseball pic for Lambsfoot content? I figure Will the Thrill would carry Ebony ;)
View attachment 1135814
OG

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Once again with the Guardians 19.;):thumbsup:

23h7rww.jpg

Beautiful Jose :thumbsup:

View attachment 1135848 Fresh cut lawn feels good.

That's some nice black ebony Joshua :thumbsup:

This week I'll carry my Union Jack, the rosewood lambsfoot my wife and daughter bought for my in York when they visited the UK a couple of years ago:
View attachment 1135897

Always nice to see your Union Jack GT :) I am due a trip to Barnitt's, there are barely any good hardware stores left here o_O :thumbsup:

Lamb(foot) Vindaloo.:thumbsup::)

5TlJAbV.jpg

Another great pic, looks like you have built up some nice patina there :thumbsup:

Made an opps:oops:

Great looking knives David but I'm afraid it is NOT okay to post em. No knives except lambsfoot in this thread my friend.

Thank you Dwight, and thanks for editing your post David :thumbsup:

Fantastic Dwight :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, I can see how that could be mis-read. There will be no wedding(only lots of weeding) in my future...I'm one and done..."I Live Alone", Sonia Dada

I'm hoping to escape both Preston ;) :thumbsup:

:eek::oops: I am sorry, I'll edit it out, and repost another appropriate pic tomorrow :thumbsup:

Thank you David :thumbsup:

Worked hard all day fixing my son's Jeep and doing yard work.
It's a gorgeous evening... I'm relaxing on the back porch, enjoying the cool weather, watching the sunset, and reading a good book.

Sounds like a nice end to the day John :) :thumbsup:

Preston, look what I found this afternoon! :p Mackays Ice Cream Shop its been in business 70 years. :D How could I have missed it, right next to the bar?!;)
img_8401.jpg

Looks like you're enjoying exploring Dave! :D :thumbsup:

IOzaOWG.jpg

Here's another shot from the day it arrived, it has since begun acquiring a nice patina.

That's a nice pic :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, three-day weekends always mess up the following week for me a bit, I don't know if anyone else finds that? :rolleyes: I suppose starting the week on Tuesday makes Friday a day nearer :D I'm starting my week off we some ebony :) Have a good week folks :thumbsup:

cO9fgsF.jpg

The background to this pic is a traditional mourning handkerchief made in Belfast in (pre-partition) Ireland) early in the 20th century. One time, when I was in Ireland, I got a lift back from an event at Castle Espie in County Down, with some folks who had found a whole box of them, and were selling them off to raise money for charity :)

Morning Guardians, three-day weekends always mess up the following week for me a bit, I don't know if anyone else finds that? :rolleyes: I suppose starting the week on Tuesday makes Friday a day nearer :D I'm starting my week off we some ebony :) Have a good week folks :thumbsup:

cO9fgsF.jpg

The background to this pic is a traditional mourning handkerchief made in Belfast in (pre-partition) Ireland) early in the 20th century. One time, when I was in Ireland, I got a lift back from an event at Castle Espie in County Down, with some folks who had found a whole box of them, and were selling them off to raise money for charity :)
What a great background for an ebony knife. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Interesting handkerchief Jack Black Jack Black and good mourning to you too! :D

Sharpened my Lambsfoot again, so I'm ready for anything.:thumbsup:

I forgot my Lambsfoot at work last week, and figured I had lost it. I put it in my tool belt after using it, instead of into my pocket. I was so relieved to find it the next day. :)

G'day all!

Michaelimage.jpg

Last edited:
Cool pic Vince :thumbsup:

That's handy Dave! :D :thumbsup:

Beautiful grain in that Ironwood Ron, your photo shows it off to perfection :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Beautiful Jose :thumbsup:

That's some nice black ebony Joshua :thumbsup:

Always nice to see your Union Jack GT :) I am due a trip to Barnitt's, there are barely any good hardware stores left here o_O :thumbsup:

Another great pic, looks like you have built up some nice patina there :thumbsup:

Thank you Dwight, and thanks for editing your post David :thumbsup:

Fantastic Dwight :) :thumbsup:

I'm hoping to escape both Preston ;) :thumbsup:

Thank you David :thumbsup:

Sounds like a nice end to the day John :) :thumbsup:

Looks like you're enjoying exploring Dave! :D :thumbsup:

That's a nice pic :) :thumbsup:

cO9fgsF.jpg

Thank you, Jack! It is actually black linen micarta, with a matte finish, but it looks just like ebony in that picture.

Good morning, Guardians.

I hope everyone had a pleasant weekend. Mine was rather cold but quite enjoyable all the same. I thought I would share a couple of pictures from my trip followed by the Lambsfoot that I have in my pocket today, paired with a new piece of kit. I'd have to say that this is my new favorite cup for wilderness excursions.

JC4fh2Q.jpg

tN6PfUf.jpg

9AtlUys.jpg

wpi8HSu.jpg

pjNKpGq.jpg

VDrZnQf.jpg

cO9fgsF.jpg

When I was in the workforce, I couldn’t wait for such things as three day holidays. I guess this makes me a full blown curmudgeon, because as a retired person, I can’t wait for them to end.:) The site of long lines of traffic in the morning, as they head to work, while I peacefully walk with my Ari, brings a smile to my face.:) I know. I’m terrible.

Your Ebony Lambsfoot(everyone’s Ebony) is wonderful, and probably my most desired. Your handkerchief is quite nice.

dc50 dc50 Two Beauties, David. The Ebony and the painting.

JohnDF JohnDF Very Nice image, John.

Cutfinger Cutfinger I Happy for you that you found that precious Ebony Lambsfoot.

Prester John Prester John Such a handsome Lambsfoot, Vince.

Half/Stop Half/Stop Good look at your nice Ironwood Lambsfoot, Ron.

Pàdruig Pàdruig What a peaceful and beautiful setting to drink in with your new cup, Dylan. As perfect as youR Dami Lambsfoot.

Good Morning Guardians.
96D43141-583A-4145-A36A-54198DE4F4CD_zpszcag33hh.jpeg

Last edited:
When I was in the workforce, I couldn’t wait for such things as three day holidays. I guess this makes me a full blown curmudgeon, because as a retired person, I can’t wait for them to end.:) The site of long lines of traffic in the morning, as they head to work, while I peacefully walk with my Ari, brings a smile to my face.:) I know. I’m terrible.

Your Ebony Lambsfoot(everyone’s Ebony) is wonderful, and probably my most desired. Your handkerchief is quite nice.

Cutfinger Cutfinger I Happy for you that you found that precious Ebony Lambsfoot.

Prester John Prester John Such a handsome Lambsfoot, Preston.

Pàdruig Pàdruig What a peaceful and beautiful setting to drink in with your new cup, Dylan. As perfect as youR Dami Lambsfoot.

Good Morning Guardians.
What a sensational photo Harvey. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good morning, Guardians.

I hope everyone had a pleasant weekend. Mine was rather cold but quite enjoyable all the same. I thought I would share a couple of pictures from my trip followed by the Lambsfoot that I have in my pocket today, paired with a new piece of kit. I'd have to say that this is my new favorite cup for wilderness excursions.

JC4fh2Q.jpg

tN6PfUf.jpg

9AtlUys.jpg

wpi8HSu.jpg

pjNKpGq.jpg

VDrZnQf.jpg
Beautiful country :) Cascades, right? Where 'bouts? Did you carve the cup? Looks like a dandy :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians.
Another great pic - grats. Like you, I'm very happy to be able enjoy a cup of coffee instead of having to gulp it down so I can join the rat-race ;)

Thank you, Harvey. Excellent picture, as always!

Beautiful country :) Cascades, right? Where 'bouts? Did you carve the cup? Looks like a dandy

Thank you! I reside in the Pacific Northwest and am fortunate to have access to all sorts of beautiful country. These pictures were taken in one of my favorite haunts, the Fire Camp Lakes located in the Mt. Jefferson wilderness.

The cup makes for an interesting topic. It is known by a number of names but the one I first learned was kuksa. Traditionally, it was (and I suspect still is) a cup that was carved by the Sami people in Northern Scandinavia. Carved out of birch burl, it was usually done on an individual basis by the would-be bearer.

Since I have respect for old traditions, I did not make this cup and did not opt to buy one that was hand made either. Traditionally, you would either carve your own or have one gifted to you. Since I have not the time and birch burl can be difficult to find, I opted to buy a modern version that is made in Finland from a wood fiber composite material. It is supposed to be environmentally friendly (if you care about such things), dishwasher safe, and pretty darn indestructible. Plus, its design prevents you from scorching your fingers and/or lips when drinking a hot beverage.

What a great background for an ebony knife. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Thank you John, I wish I had bumped into those people earlier in the day as I would have bought the whole box off of them :) I did buy a second for my Irish girlfriend at the time, and she wondered, rather irreverently, if the motif showed the pints of Guinness from the wake :rolleyes:

Good Morning Guardians! Buffalo horn goes to the City. :D
View attachment 1136053

Fantastic pic Dave :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians

Lovely composition John :thumbsup:

Interesting handkerchief Jack Black Jack Black and good mourning to you too! :D

Sharpened my Lambsfoot again, so I'm ready for anything.:thumbsup:

I forgot my Lambsfoot at work last week, and figured I had lost it. I put it in my tool belt after using it, instead of into my pocket. I was so relieved to find it the next day. :)

G'day all!

MichaelView attachment 1136067

Very sharp Michael :D :thumbsup: Glad you found your Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

Good morning, Guardians!
WESCTHM.jpg

Looking good Vince :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! :)

It’s my Ironwood Bigun for me today! :thumbsup: :D

33652199128_be608d6cc5_b_d.jpg

Nice choice Ron :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack! It is actually black linen micarta, with a matte finish, but it looks just like ebony in that picture.

Sorry Joshua, that's my memory going! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Good morning, Guardians.

JC4fh2Q.jpg

tN6PfUf.jpg

9AtlUys.jpg

wpi8HSu.jpg

pjNKpGq.jpg

VDrZnQf.jpg

Wow! That's some beautiful country Dylan, stunning pics :) :thumbsup: I was considering buying a kupilka just yesterday, my girlfriend brought me a nice wooden kuksa back from Finland, but it's a little on the small side. Great photo my friend :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians.

I can appreciate that Harvey! :D I have been self-employed since 1991, and have been easing myself into semi-retirement these past few years, so three-day weekends just means I find everything kind of overcrowded! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Excellent photo, and I love the button (or cap) :) :thumbsup:

Thank you! I reside in the Pacific Northwest and am fortunate to have access to all sorts of beautiful country. These pictures were taken in one of my favorite haunts, the Fire Camp Lakes located in the Mt. Jefferson wilderness.

The cup makes for an interesting topic. It is known by a number of names but the one I first learned was kuksa. Traditionally, it was (and I suspect still is) a cup that was carved by the Sami people in Northern Scandinavia. Carved out of birch burl, it was usually done on an individual basis by the would-be bearer.

Since I have respect for old traditions, I did not make this cup and did not opt to buy one that was hand made either. Traditionally, you would either carve your own or have one gifted to you. Since I have not the time and birch burl can be difficult to find, I opted to buy a modern version that is made in Finland from a wood fiber composite material. It is supposed to be environmentally friendly (if you care about such things), dishwasher safe, and pretty darn indestructible. Plus, its design prevents you from scorching your fingers and/or lips when drinking a hot beverage.
Thanks for the interesting info. And yes, I care about and respect the environment. If you would, please PM me more info about where to get one?
Thanks
OG

You certainly live in a beautiful part of the world Dylan :) I will take your post as a recommendation :) Here's my kuksa, it was made by a feller in a small town in the north of Finland, but as you can see it's a bit on the small side :thumbsup:

7qNdJd1.jpg

Thanks for the interesting info. And yes, I care about and respect the environment. If you would, please PM me more info about where to get one?
Thanks
OG

If you search on 'Kupilka', you should be able to find them OG :thumbsup:

Back