Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Great photo David! :thumbsup::cool:

2. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Nice Rosewood Gary.;):thumbsup:

3. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Cool pic Vince :thumbsup:

That's handy Dave! :D :thumbsup:

Beautiful grain in that Ironwood Ron, your photo shows it off to perfection :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Beautiful Jose :thumbsup:

That's some nice black ebony Joshua :thumbsup:

Always nice to see your Union Jack GT :) I am due a trip to Barnitt's, there are barely any good hardware stores left here o_O :thumbsup:

Another great pic, looks like you have built up some nice patina there :thumbsup:

Thank you Dwight, and thanks for editing your post David :thumbsup:

Fantastic Dwight :) :thumbsup:

I'm hoping to escape both Preston ;) :thumbsup:

Thank you David :thumbsup:

Sounds like a nice end to the day John :) :thumbsup:

Looks like you're enjoying exploring Dave! :D :thumbsup:

That's a nice pic :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, three-day weekends always mess up the following week for me a bit, I don't know if anyone else finds that? :rolleyes: I suppose starting the week on Tuesday makes Friday a day nearer :D I'm starting my week off we some ebony :) Have a good week folks :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

The background to this pic is a traditional mourning handkerchief made in Belfast in (pre-partition) Ireland) early in the 20th century. One time, when I was in Ireland, I got a lift back from an event at Castle Espie in County Down, with some folks who had found a whole box of them, and were selling them off to raise money for charity :)

donn, mitch4ging, TFBraden and 9 others like this.
  4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    What a great background for an ebony knife. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  5. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    Good Morning Guardians! Buffalo horn goes to the City. :D
    photo 1.JPG

6. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Good Morning Guardians
    [​IMG]

7. Cutfinger

Cutfinger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Interesting handkerchief @Jack Black and good mourning to you too! :D

Sharpened my Lambsfoot again, so I'm ready for anything.:thumbsup:

I forgot my Lambsfoot at work last week, and figured I had lost it. I put it in my tool belt after using it, instead of into my pocket. I was so relieved to find it the next day. :)

G'day all!

Michael image.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    donn, mitch4ging, TFBraden and 11 others like this.
  8. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Good morning, Guardians!
    [​IMG]

donn, mitch4ging, pjsjr and 10 others like this.
  9. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Jack! :)

It’s my Ironwood Bigun for me today! :thumbsup: :D

[​IMG]

donn, mitch4ging, TFBraden and 10 others like this.
  10. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Thank you, Jack! It is actually black linen micarta, with a matte finish, but it looks just like ebony in that picture.

11. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Good morning, Guardians.

I hope everyone had a pleasant weekend. Mine was rather cold but quite enjoyable all the same. I thought I would share a couple of pictures from my trip followed by the Lambsfoot that I have in my pocket today, paired with a new piece of kit. I'd have to say that this is my new favorite cup for wilderness excursions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

donn, mitch4ging, TFBraden and 13 others like this.
  12. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    When I was in the workforce, I couldn’t wait for such things as three day holidays. I guess this makes me a full blown curmudgeon, because as a retired person, I can’t wait for them to end.:) The site of long lines of traffic in the morning, as they head to work, while I peacefully walk with my Ari, brings a smile to my face.:) I know. I’m terrible.

Your Ebony Lambsfoot(everyone’s Ebony) is wonderful, and probably my most desired. Your handkerchief is quite nice.

@dc50 Two Beauties, David. The Ebony and the painting.

@JohnDF Very Nice image, John.

@Cutfinger I Happy for you that you found that precious Ebony Lambsfoot.

@Prester John Such a handsome Lambsfoot, Vince.

@Half/Stop Good look at your nice Ironwood Lambsfoot, Ron.

@Pàdruig What a peaceful and beautiful setting to drink in with your new cup, Dylan. As perfect as youR Dami Lambsfoot.

Good Morning Guardians.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    donn, mitch4ging, WDJ and 13 others like this.
  13. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    What a sensational photo Harvey. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jack Black and cigarrodog like this.
  14. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Thank you kindly, Dave.

dc50 likes this.
  15. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY

Feb 20, 2018
    Beautiful country :) Cascades, right? Where 'bouts? Did you carve the cup? Looks like a dandy :thumbsup:

Another great pic - grats. Like you, I'm very happy to be able enjoy a cup of coffee instead of having to gulp it down so I can join the rat-race ;)

16. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Thank you, Harvey. Excellent picture, as always!

Thank you! I reside in the Pacific Northwest and am fortunate to have access to all sorts of beautiful country. These pictures were taken in one of my favorite haunts, the Fire Camp Lakes located in the Mt. Jefferson wilderness.

The cup makes for an interesting topic. It is known by a number of names but the one I first learned was kuksa. Traditionally, it was (and I suspect still is) a cup that was carved by the Sami people in Northern Scandinavia. Carved out of birch burl, it was usually done on an individual basis by the would-be bearer.

Since I have respect for old traditions, I did not make this cup and did not opt to buy one that was hand made either. Traditionally, you would either carve your own or have one gifted to you. Since I have not the time and birch burl can be difficult to find, I opted to buy a modern version that is made in Finland from a wood fiber composite material. It is supposed to be environmentally friendly (if you care about such things), dishwasher safe, and pretty darn indestructible. Plus, its design prevents you from scorching your fingers and/or lips when drinking a hot beverage.

donn, Fodderwing, OLd_gUY and 2 others like this.
  17. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you John, I wish I had bumped into those people earlier in the day as I would have bought the whole box off of them :) I did buy a second for my Irish girlfriend at the time, and she wondered, rather irreverently, if the motif showed the pints of Guinness from the wake :rolleyes:

Fantastic pic Dave :) :thumbsup:

Lovely composition John :thumbsup:

Very sharp Michael :D :thumbsup: Glad you found your Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

Looking good Vince :) :thumbsup:

Nice choice Ron :) :thumbsup:

Sorry Joshua, that's my memory going! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Wow! That's some beautiful country Dylan, stunning pics :) :thumbsup: I was considering buying a kupilka just yesterday, my girlfriend brought me a nice wooden kuksa back from Finland, but it's a little on the small side. Great photo my friend :) :thumbsup:

I can appreciate that Harvey! :D I have been self-employed since 1991, and have been easing myself into semi-retirement these past few years, so three-day weekends just means I find everything kind of overcrowded! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Excellent photo, and I love the button (or cap) :) :thumbsup:

donn, mitch4ging, TFBraden and 6 others like this.
  18. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY

Feb 20, 2018
    Thanks for the interesting info. And yes, I care about and respect the environment. If you would, please PM me more info about where to get one?
    Thanks
    OG

mitch4ging and Jack Black like this.
  19. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    Thanks, Jack! :thumbsup::D

Jack Black likes this.
  20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    You certainly live in a beautiful part of the world Dylan :) I will take your post as a recommendation :) Here's my kuksa, it was made by a feller in a small town in the north of Finland, but as you can see it's a bit on the small side :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

If you search on 'Kupilka', you should be able to find them OG :thumbsup:

Pàdruig, donn, mitch4ging and 9 others like this.