1. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Wondrous loot, Jack, how long are they closed?

Jack Black likes this.
  2. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I'll look forward to that Dave :) You have got to make it past the pub, bakery, pizza shop sometime! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Harvey :) My paternal grandfather was a builder, and spent much of the war training Home Guard units, and building anti-tank defences on the Yorkshire coast. I say he never left England, and I don't think he did, but it is possible I am wrong. Those old boys never shared too much, particularly when there were kids about. When I would ask, both grandfathers would just tell me the funny stories, in the case of my maternal grandfather, these were mainly from his time in Egypt and Palestine towards the end of his service. Bill, my dad's uncle, told me a few things when I was an adult, but I mainly know about the battles he was in because my father and uncle used to track his position from the letters he'd send home, and even remember one of his tanks was called 'Grackle', after which my dad named his dog. My mother also told me more about her father's service than he ever did himself, but she was just a young girl in the war, so perhaps didn't know so much. Your dad must have been tough Harvey, you are really down in the bowels of a tank as a driver. Bill had a very small stature, and that may have saved his life when his tanks were hit. He served with quite a few Americans, and always spoke very highly of them, but it was rare he said much about anything, he was a very quiet man, and never married.

Those baguettes are winners Dave :) :thumbsup:

Those slugs look MEAN! :thumbsup: Nice pic John :thumbsup:

Incredible! :) That campaign was a tough fight :eek: Big respect to your dad my friend :) :thumbsup:

Cool pic (and tunes) GT :D :thumbsup:

Great to see you here buddy, and that great-looking Lambsfoot :) Those pins are certainly hammered by hand :) :thumbsup:

Excellent pic Harvey :) :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot pal, striking photo :) :thumbsup:

Good for you Taylor :thumbsup: Lovely pic of your '19 :) :thumbsup:

mitch4ging, Dschal, OLd_gUY and 8 others like this.
  3. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Fantastic photos as always David. Most interesting.

Always amazed and impressed at the utter BLACKNESS of your ebony Ron!

Beautiful Dave.

Thank you GT. :)

:D

The Valley Jack is always regal.

@Jack Black - @cigarrodog - Thank you gentlemen for sharing the experiences of your father, grandfather and other kinfolk who served their country.

IMG_9138.jpeg

4. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    @WHT - It is simply remarkable what these young men endured, were exposed to, experienced. No wonder their generation moved mountains metaphorically and literally.

Cambertree, donn, dc50 and 3 others like this.
  5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    dc50 and cigarrodog like this.
  6. Fodderwing

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you my friend.

cigarrodog and JohnDF like this.
  7. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    How did I miss this post. You must have snuck it in there. :)
    They did a wonderful job, the fit on everything looks great!

8. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you Dennis, and thank you for sharing those historic photos too, that's a great composition my friend :thumbsup:

Great post Harvey, those men did extraordinary things, but didn't seem to think of themselves as anything more than ordinary guys :thumbsup:

Hope you're having a great time Vince :) :thumbsup:

Definitely Dennis :) :thumbsup:

The Broadbents were one of the oldest families in Sheffield, and set up the town's first bank (though it went bust). I don't have a Sheffield telephone directory I'm afraid, but I do happen to have a list of Sheffield cutlers from 1624-1699 to hand (;)), and there is half a page of Broadbents. There have always been a lot of Quakers in Sheffield too, and in fact the central meeting house used to be just across the road from the Broadbent house. Obadiah Barlow was born in Yorkshire though, as was his father. He did have a Lancastrian connection though, in as much as he was a friend and business associate of William Stout (1665-1752), a well known Lancaster Quaker and ironmonger.

That's a cool pic David! :D :thumbsup:

You too Ron, that looks tip-top :) :thumbsup:

Nice contrast Dave :) :thumbsup:

Looking good John :) :thumbsup:

Great name GT! :D Here, pigs in blankets are sausages roasted in bacon :)

Thanks my friend, I'm afraid I had to carry back a lot more than two of them! :eek: If I wasn't so thrilled, I'd be here moaning about my back! :D Excellent shot of your Valley Jack :thumbsup:

Thanks Jeff, I make them 3 5/8" :thumbsup:

Well said :) :thumbsup:

I wish I knew more than I did Dwight, nobody left to ask now unfortunately :( :thumbsup:

Wonderful photo :thumbsup:

mitch4ging, Dschal, OLd_gUY and 5 others like this.
  9. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Thank you, Jack. :)

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I slipped it in when you were looking the other way John ;) I am very pleased with them, they look great with the steel liners and bolsters, a really solid knife :) :thumbsup:

Pàdruig, mitch4ging, OLd_gUY and 6 others like this.
  11. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    :D :thumbsup:

cigarrodog likes this.
  12. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool::cool::cool:

dc50, cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  13. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    No apologies, necessary. Gorgeous knife. :thumbsup:

Fodderwing, dc50, cigarrodog and 2 others like this.
  14. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks for the compliment John! :)

Thanks Gary! :)

Thanks Dwight! That one is a very dark black Ebony! :)

Thank you Jack! :)

15. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    That is the patch which I have, plus one of his two Purple Hearts. You must have some stories to tell, Dennis. Thank you for all you have done. Stay safe.

@donn David, is that Hadrian’s Wall?

I will definitely check out “The World at War.” As for Ken Burns, every one of historical documentaries is a brilliant.

@Jack Black Mighty nice looking Barlow’s, Jack. Are we ever fortunate.

Thank you for sharing a part of their War experiences. Because most of them didn’t say much, much gets lost over time. Being in a hit tank with all the shells, fuel, etc, is an invitation to stare Death in the Face.

@Fodderwing Thank you Dwight.:) Is that nice Lambsfoot, Rosewood?

Good Morning Guardians. Here’s another oldie.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pàdruig, mitch4ging, Dschal and 11 others like this.
  16. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    A Glorious Oldie. :cool: :thumbsup:
    The advertising for sheep dip makes it even more precious.

17. cigarrodog

May 18, 2014
    Thank you kindly, John.

dc50 likes this.
  18. WDJ

WDJ Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 13, 2018
    I love the bolster stamp. The knives are beautiful Jack, really special.

19. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I'd better get this post full of multi-quotes in here before I go for yet another eye procedure this afternoon. I'll probably walk out of there with restricted vision and an eye-patch - Arrgh! o_O:rolleyes:

Thanks for the correction, Dwight. :thumbsup::cool: I think I need a family pic of your lambsfoots to remind me of their impressive variety. ;)
    Thanks for praising VJ. :)
    Fantastic shot of your dignified ironwood! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

What a dandy DamSamLamb, Dylan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

:thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats, Joshua; I hope you and your family have delightful times this summer! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Wait, there's a movie with both Barbara Feldon AND Annette O'Toole? :eek::thumbsup::cool:
    Did the zoo staff really carry lambsfoots in Cat People???

I hope you (and the dazzling Sköll :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:) enjoy plenty of summer R&R, John.

Dynamic duo in your daily double, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Sorry that some of my references are rather obscure, Dave. :(:rolleyes:

That inspires me to make sit-ups part of my daily routine! :D:thumbsup:

Dramatic shot of a desirable vintage lambsfoot, Harvey! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm sure it would be costly, but I'll bet we could find at least 28 different kinds of lambsfoot models posted in this enormous thread! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

What a distinguished and dapper duo, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I can see why you'd be devoted daily to that deluxe lambsfoot, @draggat! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the Valley Jack assessment, FBC. :)
    Betty looks as dependable as ever! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: (I'd make my obligatory Bam-Ba-Lamb comment, but Dennis has it covered. :D)

Thanks, Dennis, for the kind words. :)
    Thanks for sharing the commemorative photos. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Instantly identifiable knife, Taylor! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Hope your vacation is as vivid as your photo, Vince; leather and stag is a great combo! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the wall photos, David. :cool::thumbsup::cool: Is that what's called Hadrian's Wall?
    I like the sign with your knife. Forewarned is forearmed! ;)

Ron and Dave, that's some decadently dark ebony for Friday! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the additional pics, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, John. :)

Kind of you to say so, Jack. :)

Thanks for regaling VJ with your "regal" remark, Dwight. :)
    Your knife gleams in that photo! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Have you polished the wood with anything?

Thanks for pointing out another of those transatlantic differences in meaning, Jack. ;):cool:
    I wondered if you had only prototypes of the Barlows so far, or had your entire order. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Thanks for the size estimate, and for complimenting VJ. :)

Thanks, John. :)

Another pic of Valley Jack, back when it was cool:
    IJ.pile.closed.snow.onback.jpg

- GT

20. cigarrodog

May 18, 2014
    Thank you GT. My wish for you is a quick recovery from your procedure today. Whether you want to admit it or not, I think your images show a real flair, like your Valley Jack shown today.

Prester John and dc50 like this.