Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Nice little 1000 acre impoundment:

5V2pY55.jpg
Looks very peaceful, Barry.

You need and deserve a pint to go with that bath. Here’s to your aches easing shortly.

Thank you. The covers are beautiful. The interesting thing about this Lambsfoot is how solid and substantial the feel and heft is. The other interesting note is that it was far easier to find information on Cooper’s Dip than on the knife.

Thanks buddy, I didn't have time to buy beer, or even bread, but I found a few cans in the fridge anyway :) Since I won't have any bread in the morning, I might have to go out for breakfast ;) :thumbsup:

I imagine so Harvey, and advertising can be helpful in terms of dating a knife, sometimes at least :thumbsup:

@mitch4ging Dennis, you asked me about the patch. I just wanted to share this with you. My apologies to the rest of you, because I feel like I’ve been going on and on.
View attachment 1140936

From one of my many books on the Battle of The Bulge.
View attachment 1140937

Fascinating Harvey :) :thumbsup:

It goes back a fair few years before 1624 in Sheffield David, and is widely recorded all over Yorkshire, from at least the mid 16th century (and going back to the beginning of the century). Like Barlow though, it is a locational name, referring in Old English (circa 7th C) to an area of land where reeds or rushes grow. So, again, like Barlow (and the linked surname of 'Barley'), it may have sprung up in different areas without the people carrying the name being related. Sometimes, of course, folks were named for the place they lived, and this is seen with Norman knights being given land. There is a Broadbent near Oldham, and some would have certainly taken their name from it. It may even have originated there, but I suspect that, like most names, Broadbent, and other various forms of the name, were not limited to one specific place. The surname is also recorded in Staffordshire in the 17th century. Banker Broadbent did not move away from Sheffield after his bank failed, but some of his family might have done so from shame! There is a story (in all likelihood probably not true) about when the bank went bust. Supposedly, on a Saturday morning, Broadbent was knocked up by a farmer from Derbyshire. Broadbent berated him, asking him why he didn't know the bank only did business on weekdays. However, when the farmer mentioned he had a large deposit to make, Broadbent took the money, and promptly shut up shop on the Monday! :rolleyes: While the family certainly suffered reputational damage from the bank's collapse, they still seem to have been among the wealthiest in the town at the time, building a large house and estate on the edge of Sheffield, close to where Firth Park stands today. Poor old bankers eh?! :rolleyes:

:D :thumbsup:

Thanks for taking the time to write all that Jack, it's very interesting. I knew about the meaning of the name Bent as I have relatives who are Bent's, again a surname I've only seen rarely outside of the northwest. For example as a kid (1970's) there were I think 3 Bents in the whole of Greater London, and I was related to 2 of them.
Saying that there is John Bent, who founded Massachusetts, whose forefathers were from Hampshire in England and whose descendant Charles Bent set up Bent's Fort (now Bent's Old Fort) in Colorado.
I like the banking story. Same tricks, different century...:D

LOL! :D Scotland is a spectacularly beautiful country, with warm, friendly people, and a rich history.

And midges.
You can't forget the midges. :eek:

Thanks for taking the time to write all that Jack, it's very interesting. I knew about the meaning of the name Bent as I have relatives who are Bent's, again a surname I've only seen rarely outside of the northwest. For example as a kid (1970's) there were I think 3 Bents in the whole of Greater London, and I was related to 2 of them.
Saying that there is John Bent, who founded Massachusetts, whose forefathers were from Hampshire in England and whose descendant Charles Bent set up Bent's Fort (now Bent's Old Fort) in Colorado.
I like the banking story. Same tricks, different century...:D

And midges.
You can't forget the midges. :eek:

No trouble David :) That's very interesting, I went to school in Sheffield near a place called Bent's Green (it wasn't Bent's Green school though!) :thumbsup:

Definitely! :rolleyes:

No trouble David :) That's very interesting, I went to school in Sheffield near a place called Bent's Green (it wasn't Bent's Green school though!) :thumbsup:

Definitely! :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of Bent's Green shops a couple of years before I started secondary school. The fence on the left of the photo is the fence around the school. You will notice the conveniently-situated off-license right next to it, and though you probably can't make it out on the photo, a few yards away, outside the post office, again conveniently situated, the cigarette machine. Vaulting that fence, and sprinting across 'No Man's Land' kept me fit as a lad! :D :thumbsup:

c1b415a2f62af3099908e0a76496ac10.jpg

That's hilarious Rachel! :D Yay! Jammie Dodgers! :) :D :thumbsup:
True story! :D
Oh wow! didn't know you could get them over the pond! Enjoy! :):thumbsup:
Here in the U.S.???
I'm on the hunt... I'll take a case of 'em. :cool: :thumbsup:
edit... Found them on The Big River site. Thanks.

I was at Anderson's Coffee Roasters; they have fancy imported sweets up at the counter for impulse buying. I'd never seen Jammie Dodgers in person before, and knew I had to grab a box in case they never stock them again.
Cheers Guardians :) :thumbsup:

gk6qnMb.jpg
Oh boy, Jack, that does look like a heavy load of goodness! Is it too soon to ask which you prefer: the stag or the rosewood?

True story! :D

I was at Anderson's Coffee Roasters; they have fancy imported sweets up at the counter for impulse buying. I'd never seen Jammie Dodgers in person before, and knew I had to grab a box in case they never stock them again.

Oh boy, Jack, that does look like a heavy load of goodness! Is it too soon to ask which you prefer: the stag or the rosewood?

The best ones usually are :) Jammie Dodgers were a children's party favourite when I was a kid, but I think it may be a very long time since I last had one :) I'm real pleased with it Rachel, and if I'd known how good the rosewood would look I would have certainly ordered more. The stag is special though :thumbsup:

Cheers Guardians :) :thumbsup:

gk6qnMb.jpg
You are most certainly a busy man, Jack.

You'll have to let us know what you think of them. If it were me, I'd have bought their stock as surely my boys would want their share.

if I'd known how good the rosewood would look I would have certainly ordered more. The stag is special though :thumbsup:
The rosewood is certainly getting my attention. I know... shocking, right? :D

You are most certainly a busy man, Jack.

You'll have to let us know what you think of them. If it were me, I'd have bought their stock as surely my boys would want their share.

The rosewood is certainly getting my attention. I know... shocking, right? :D

Hmmmm...! :rolleyes: :D I have just added 'Jammie Dodgers for JohnDF' to my shopping list! :D :thumbsup:

Back