Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thanks GT. Aye I've heard a lot of ballyhoo about walls recently. We've got one in the north of England, built by the Romans to keep them pesky Scots out. :D
Not much of it left like.
David my Grandfather was from Scotland and told us about the wall with a proud twinkle in his eye.;) I'm thinking it was looked upon as a wee stumbling block.:p

Jack Black Jack Black Mighty nice looking Barlow’s, Jack. Are we ever fortunate.

Thank you for sharing a part of their War experiences. Because most of them didn’t say much, much gets lost over time. Being in a hit tank with all the shells, fuel, etc, is an invitation to stare Death in the Face.

Fodderwing Fodderwing Thank you Dwight.:) Is that nice Lambsfoot, Rosewood?

Good Morning Guardians. Here’s another oldie.
F9F60B35-4124-4DA9-814D-DED4CFA453BA_zpsy7dvvyww.jpeg

E2582E28-2085-4ABF-9C53-7DFDD1FEB64E_zpsvytooq3w.jpeg

2AB5ACE4-9DE2-46A9-A7F1-D154C0845C10_zpswkyxwu09.jpeg

12F2D41C-C481-4AA9-B7BE-48E6CCBBC2F8_zpszereln0z.jpeg

323B1E8A-4073-472C-A66E-70D3CB7730D1_zps7dmpu7qk.jpeg

Thank you Harvey, we are :) :thumbsup:

Bravery beyond measure :thumbsup:

Isn't that bone beautiful? :) I would have bought that one just for the tang stamp. Great piece of advertising there, well done for tracking it down :) :thumbsup:

A Glorious Oldie. :cool: :thumbsup:
The advertising for sheep dip makes it even more precious.

+1 :thumbsup:

I love the bolster stamp. The knives are beautiful Jack, really special.

Thank you my friend, they turned out even better than I had hoped :) :thumbsup:

I'd better get this post full of multi-quotes in here before I go for yet another eye procedure this afternoon. I'll probably walk out of there with restricted vision and an eye-patch - Arrgh! o_O:rolleyes:

Thanks for the correction, Dwight. :thumbsup::cool: I think I need a family pic of your lambsfoots to remind me of their impressive variety. ;)
Thanks for praising VJ. :)
Fantastic shot of your dignified ironwood! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

What a dandy DamSamLamb, Dylan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

:thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats, Joshua; I hope you and your family have delightful times this summer! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Wait, there's a movie with both Barbara Feldon AND Annette O'Toole? :eek::thumbsup::cool:
Did the zoo staff really carry lambsfoots in Cat People???

I hope you (and the dazzling Sköll :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:) enjoy plenty of summer R&R, John.

Dynamic duo in your daily double, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Sorry that some of my references are rather obscure, Dave. :(:rolleyes:

That inspires me to make sit-ups part of my daily routine! :D:thumbsup:

Dramatic shot of a desirable vintage lambsfoot, Harvey! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm sure it would be costly, but I'll bet we could find at least 28 different kinds of lambsfoot models posted in this enormous thread! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

What a distinguished and dapper duo, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I can see why you'd be devoted daily to that deluxe lambsfoot, @draggat! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the Valley Jack assessment, FBC. :)
Betty looks as dependable as ever! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: (I'd make my obligatory Bam-Ba-Lamb comment, but Dennis has it covered. :D)

Thanks, Dennis, for the kind words. :)
Thanks for sharing the commemorative photos. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Instantly identifiable knife, Taylor! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Hope your vacation is as vivid as your photo, Vince; leather and stag is a great combo! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the wall photos, David. :cool::thumbsup::cool: Is that what's called Hadrian's Wall?
I like the sign with your knife. Forewarned is forearmed! ;)

Ron and Dave, that's some decadently dark ebony for Friday! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the additional pics, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, John. :)

Kind of you to say so, Jack. :)

Thanks for regaling VJ with your "regal" remark, Dwight. :)
Your knife gleams in that photo! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Have you polished the wood with anything?

Thanks for pointing out another of those transatlantic differences in meaning, Jack. ;):cool:
I wondered if you had only prototypes of the Barlows so far, or had your entire order. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the size estimate, and for complimenting VJ. :)

Thanks, John. :)

Another pic of Valley Jack, back when it was cool:
View attachment 1140845

- GT

Good luck GT, hope it all goes well :thumbsup:

I carried the entire order today, and it was HEAVY! :eek: I think I'm going to go get a hot bath to try and ease my back a little! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

Fodderwing Fodderwing Thank you Dwight.:) Is that nice Lambsfoot, Rosewood
Thank you sir. I believe it is Rosewood.

Wonderful rich and not-so-recent relic of renown Harvey. J CROOKES & "COOPERS DIP". :cool::cool::cool:

Thanks for the correction, Dwight. :thumbsup::cool: I think I need a family pic of your lambsfoots to remind me of their impressive variety. ;)
Thanks for praising VJ. :)
Fantastic shot of your dignified ironwood!
Gracias amigo.

Thanks for regaling VJ with your "regal" remark, Dwight. :)
Your knife gleams in that photo! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Have you polished the wood with anything?
If ever a rare and regal razor of ravishing repute regaled the porcheteers tis Valley Jack. I've never polished it GT but its been rubbed down a many a time with a rag. I must confess - It is in the capable & artistic hands of our very own Glennbad even as we speak. :cool: I wish you a speedy recovery from your eye procedure my friend. Take care.

Last edited:
Nice picture. I'm out of breath just looking at the angle of that sign. :D

LOL! You should of seen the state I was in when I got to the top. :oops: However it's amazing just how quick you recover when you remember that from there it's all downhill to the pub. :D

The Broadbents were one of the oldest families in Sheffield, and set up the town's first bank (though it went bust). I don't have a Sheffield telephone directory I'm afraid, but I do happen to have a list of Sheffield cutlers from 1624-1699 to hand (;)), and there is half a page of Broadbents. There have always been a lot of Quakers in Sheffield too, and in fact the central meeting house used to be just across the road from the Broadbent house. Obadiah Barlow was born in Yorkshire though, as was his father. He did have a Lancastrian connection though, in as much as he was a friend and business associate of William Stout (1665-1752), a well known Lancaster Quaker and ironmonger.

Ahhh thanks for posting that Jack; that settles it then. George Fox was only born in 1624 and he didn't do his famous climb up Pendle Hill in Lancashire until 1652? So the Broadbent name in Yorkshire easily pre-dates the Quakers. I wonder if a load of Broadbents moved to Lancashire then.

donn donn David, is that Hadrian’s Wall?.

F9F60B35-4124-4DA9-814D-DED4CFA453BA_zpsy7dvvyww.jpeg

E2582E28-2085-4ABF-9C53-7DFDD1FEB64E_zpsvytooq3w.jpeg

2AB5ACE4-9DE2-46A9-A7F1-D154C0845C10_zpswkyxwu09.jpeg

12F2D41C-C481-4AA9-B7BE-48E6CCBBC2F8_zpszereln0z.jpeg

323B1E8A-4073-472C-A66E-70D3CB7730D1_zps7dmpu7qk.jpeg

That just oozes quality doesn't it.
Yip it's Hadrian's Wall. :thumbsup:

I'd better get this post full of multi-quotes in here before I go for yet another eye procedure this afternoon. I'll probably walk out of there with restricted vision and an eye-patch - Arrgh! o_O

Thanks for the wall photos, David. :cool::thumbsup::cool: Is that what's called Hadrian's Wall?
I like the sign with your knife. Forewarned is forearmed! ;)

Another pic of Valley Jack, back when it was cool:
View attachment 1140845

- GT

Thanks GT. The hill was almost as steep as the valley side on your Valley Jack. :D
Good luck for the surgery. :thumbsup:

David my Grandfather was from Scotland and told us about the wall with a proud twinkle in his eye.;) I'm thinking it was looked upon as a wee stumbling block.:p

It was after the Romans upped and left. That's partly how I ended up where I am. :D

I thought it was built by the Scots to keep the English out of Edinburgh!

A bit like beer prices, roadworks on the A1(M) and those appalling Virgin Trains do now then...:D:D

Yip everyone it's Hadrian's Wall. Of course Hadrian's Wall has never actually sat in Scotland. Since the formation of the English and Scottish kingdoms the wall has only ever sat within England.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/hadrians-wall/

Wait, there's a movie with both Barbara Feldon AND Annette O'Toole? :eek::thumbsup::cool:
And Barbara Feldon and Annette O'Toole both carry lambsfoots all the time in real life!
Dreaming is free.
And I don't mind lying, if that's what it takes to give lambsfoot content to my derailments.

I thought it was built by the Scots to keep the English out of Edinburgh! Certainly didn't work more's the pity! :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:
I thought it was built by the Romans to keep the Picts out, when the Scots were still in Ireland.

Last edited:
I don't remember that part. :confused: The only thing I remember from that movie (aside from a pretty decent David Bowie song) is from back in my college days. One night, we were watching it on the big living room TV, and right at the moment Miss Kinsky transforms into a were-cat, our black cat came in through the little cat-door in the window screen and got her claw caught in the curtain. She was hanging there yowling, and everybody screamed, and I was almost laughing too hard to go unhook her.

Best of luck with the procedure.

Hey, JohnDF JohnDF ! Talk about successful marketing! I saw these today and had to buy them just because Doctor Who likes them. :D

ipafdwp.jpg

Afternoon Guardians, I've only been back home a few minutes, but I thought you guys might like to see a few hastily-taken snaps of my loot! :) :thumbsup:
Thank you again and again for bringing these to us.:thumbsup::cool:

ou guys are killing me with the ebony beauties. Nice picture, Dave. :cool:
John,its kind of like when I see a young fella drive by in a brand spanking new black Dodge Ram truck.;)

I'll look forward to that Dave :) You have got to make it past the pub, bakery, pizza shop sometime! :D :thumbsup:
I have been invited to come to a father, Son, Grandfather fishing get together on fathers day on the 15th :thumbsup:

Beautiful Dave.
Thank you, Dwight. :)
Nice contrast Dave :) :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack.:)

Dynamic duo in your daily double, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Sorry that some of my references are rather obscure, Dave. :(:rolleyes:

That inspires me to make sit-ups part of my daily routine! :D:thumbsup:
Thanks GT your a good soul. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I thought it was built by the Scots to keep the English out of Edinburgh! Certainly didn't work more's the pity! :rolleyes: ;)
haha I know this is off subject a wee bit but it reminds me of Alberta being the only province that is rat free. There are pest control men all along the eastern border between Alberta and Saskatchewan keeping the rats out :eek: :thumbsup::thumbsup: On our western border, the Rocky Mountains serve as a natural barrier.

I carried the entire order today, and it was HEAVY! :eek: I think I'm going to go get a hot bath to try and ease my back a little! :rolleyes:
That darn back is a real thorn in the flesh Jack, I'm so sorry it flared up again. :(

It was after the Romans upped and left. That's partly how I ended up where I am.
David,if you didn't live there we wouldn't be privy to all the fantastic photos and history you post for us neophytes. :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Ahhh thanks for posting that Jack; that settles it then. George Fox was only born in 1624 and he didn't do his famous climb up Pendle Hill in Lancashire until 1652? So the Broadbent name in Yorkshire easily pre-dates the Quakers. I wonder if a load of Broadbents moved to Lancashire then.

It goes back a fair few years before 1624 in Sheffield David, and is widely recorded all over Yorkshire, from at least the mid 16th century (and going back to the beginning of the century). Like Barlow though, it is a locational name, referring in Old English (circa 7th C) to an area of land where reeds or rushes grow. So, again, like Barlow (and the linked surname of 'Barley'), it may have sprung up in different areas without the people carrying the name being related. Sometimes, of course, folks were named for the place they lived, and this is seen with Norman knights being given land. There is a Broadbent near Oldham, and some would have certainly taken their name from it. It may even have originated there, but I suspect that, like most names, Broadbent, and other various forms of the name, were not limited to one specific place. The surname is also recorded in Staffordshire in the 17th century. Banker Broadbent did not move away from Sheffield after his bank failed, but some of his family might have done so from shame! There is a story (in all likelihood probably not true) about when the bank went bust. Supposedly, on a Saturday morning, Broadbent was knocked up by a farmer from Derbyshire. Broadbent berated him, asking him why he didn't know the bank only did business on weekdays. However, when the farmer mentioned he had a large deposit to make, Broadbent took the money, and promptly shut up shop on the Monday! :rolleyes: While the family certainly suffered reputational damage from the bank's collapse, they still seem to have been among the wealthiest in the town at the time, building a large house and estate on the edge of Sheffield, close to where Firth Park stands today. Poor old bankers eh?! :rolleyes:

A bit like beer prices, roadworks on the A1(M) and those appalling Virgin Trains do now then...:D:D

I don't remember that part. :confused: The only thing I remember from that movie (aside from a pretty decent David Bowie song) is from back in my college days. One night, we were watching it on the big living room TV, and right at the moment Miss Kinsky transforms into a were-cat, our black cat came in through the little cat-door in the window screen and got her claw caught in the curtain. She was hanging there yowling, and everybody screamed, and I was almost laughing too hard to go unhook her.

Best of luck with the procedure.

Hey, JohnDF JohnDF ! Talk about successful marketing! I saw these today and had to buy them just because Doctor Who likes them. :D

ipafdwp.jpg

That's hilarious Rachel! :D Yay! Jammie Dodgers! :) :D :thumbsup:

Thank you again and again for bringing these to us.:thumbsup::cool:

Thanks Dave, if at some future point, I begin to talk about it as easy and straightforward, please call me out on it! :rolleyes: I am very satisfied with the result though :) :thumbsup:

I have been invited to come to a father, Son, Grandfather fishing get together on fathers day on the 15th :thumbsup:

That sounds pretty good :) :thumbsup:

haha I know this is off subject a wee bit but it reminds me of Alberta being the only province that is rat free. There are pest control men all along the eastern border between Alberta and Saskatchewan keeping the rats out :eek: :thumbsup::thumbsup: On our western border, the Rocky Mountains serve as a natural barrier.

LOL! :D Scotland is a spectacularly beautiful country, with warm, friendly people, and a rich history. As I have many friends there, I have occasionally thought that it would be a wonderful place to live :) But I figure they already have to put up with enough sassenachs (most of whom - the posh ones - live in Edinburgh)! o_O :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

That darn back is a real thorn in the flesh Jack, I'm so sorry it flared up again. :(

It is for sure Dave, but those Barlows are hefty knives, and I had to carry a lot of them. Probably only about the weight I was curling a few years ago, but I'm getting old! :D I'm hoping I'll be OK my friend, the 'crunch' will be in the morning! :eek: :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

I thought it was built by the Romans to keep the Picts out, when the Scots were still in Ireland.

Your absolutely right of course Jer. :thumbsup: The Picts came from what is now Scotland. The Scotti came from what is now Ireland. After the Romans left in 410AD the Picts and Scotti started raiding (or increased their raids of) northern Britain. The story is the Romano-Britons then invited Anglo-Saxon mercenaries over to help fight the Picts and Scotti. The Anglo-Saxons initially did just that but then liked what the saw and decided to take it for themselves.
Hadrian's Wall was not so much a definate barrier as more of a border and customs control. Given the number of gates through the wall it would appear the southern Picts and Romano-Britons were probably in constant contact and trade. Though certainly in the 2nd Century AD during and in the years after the walls construction, there is plenty of documentary evidence to suggest there was regular fighting at the wall and in it's hinterlands, with high Roman casualties indicating just how fierce the fighting was.

ipafdwp.jpg

Oh wow! didn't know you could get them over the pond! Enjoy! :):thumbsup:

David,if you didn't live there we wouldn't be privy to all the fantastic photos and history you post for us neophytes. :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Your welcome Dave! I actually don't live anywhere near Hadrian's Wall :( but wish I did as the north of England is stunning and particularly empty of people.:):thumbsup: I do though get up into the north quite regularly.

Here in the U.S.???
I'm on the hunt... I'll take a case of 'em. :cool: :thumbsup:
edit... Found them on The Big River site. Thanks.

Your absolutely right of course Jer. :thumbsup: The Picts came from what is now Scotland. The Scotti came from what is now Ireland. After the Romans left in 410AD the Picts and Scotti started raiding (or increased their raids of) northern Britain. The story is the Romano-Britons then invited Anglo-Saxon mercenaries over to help fight the Picts and Scotti. The Anglo-Saxons initially did just that but then liked what the saw and decided to take it for themselves.
Hadrian's Wall was not so much a definate barrier as more of a border and customs control. Given the number of gates through the wall it would appear the southern Picts and Romano-Britons were probably in constant contact and trade. Though certainly in the 2nd Century AD during and in the years after the walls construction, there is plenty of documentary evidence to suggest there was regular fighting at the wall and in it's hinterlands, with high Roman casualties indicating just how fierce the fighting was.

Seeking better weather no doubt! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Sassenachs! My new word of the day :confused:"The term SASANACH is a Scottish and Irish Gaelic term for the name Saxon" thanks Jack.:thumbsup::D

Enjoy Dave! :D :thumbsup:

Thank you Harvey, we are :) :thumbsup:

Bravery beyond measure :thumbsup:

Isn't that bone beautiful? :) I would have bought that one just for the tang stamp. Great piece of advertising there, well done for tracking it down :) :thumbsup:

+1 :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend, they turned out even better than I had hoped :) :thumbsup:

Good luck GT, hope it all goes well :thumbsup:

I carried the entire order today, and it was HEAVY! :eek: I think I'm going to go get a hot bath to try and ease my back a little! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

You need and deserve a pint to go with that bath. Here’s to your aches easing shortly.

Thank you. The covers are beautiful. The interesting thing about this Lambsfoot is how solid and substantial the feel and heft is. The other interesting note is that it was far easier to find information on Cooper’s Dip than on the knife.

Thank for the consuming effort that you are and will expend.

donn donn David, your recommendation is outstanding. Thank you.

Fodderwing Fodderwing Thank you Dwight. You have my vote for the Guardians’ Bard position.:)

@mitch4ging Dennis, you asked me about the patch. I just wanted to share this with you. My apologies to the rest of you, because I feel like I’ve been going on and on.
3C43245D-3D27-4CA0-AC46-50C0A575F296.jpeg

From one of my many books on the Battle of The Bulge.
799EAC1B-74FC-40DF-B603-4B7A0BED4B91.jpeg

Back