1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    That is hilarious... and to answer your question...no. :p When I say I'm "dancing" I am using the term rather loosely. :D Although a little 40 Creek and I'm devastatingly fleet of foot. :cool:

Cambertree, donn, Jack Black and 6 others like this.
  2. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018

OG

Cambertree, JohnDF, dc50 and 5 others like this.
  3. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Now that's what I'm talking about. Hold my drink... now ... watch this...

Cambertree, dc50 and cigarrodog like this.
  4. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

dc50, cigarrodog and OLd_gUY like this.
  5. draggat

draggat Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Really glad to see you're up and around Charlie! I was absent when that all happened, but wish you the best along with what appears to be a speedy recovery!

Also hoping to see this knife in person. Should be about 1/8" shorter than this one..... will be interesting to have them side to side.

[​IMG]

@flatblackcapo Looks like you're stuck with the heat for another day or so.

donn, Half/Stop, tmd_87 and 9 others like this.
  6. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Well Congratulations, then. It must have been a great feeling of relief to pull the plug on them.

7. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Rock on Kevin :thumbsup::cool: I've done that a few times in my life, trust me, things always work out for the best.:thumbsup::D
    [​IMG]

Cambertree, donn, tmd_87 and 6 others like this.
  8. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I lost the quotes I'd previously set up, so starting again :(

Thanks John, as it turned out the weather forecast was a severe exaggeration of some light drizzle towards the end of the day :rolleyes:

We had a great day thanks Dwight, such a pleasure to spend time in Duncan's company again :) That's an excellent photo my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron, great day :) Great pic there, love that Ironwood :) :thumbsup:

I know the guys that pilot those boats (previously Amsterdam river taxis, hence the names)! :eek: They run a shuttle service along the river from the Royal Armouries to Leeds railway station. Despite the fact that Leeds, unlike most UK towns and cities, charges for the central shuttle bus which operates between the train and bus stations, the river taxis were free because they were intended to transport yuppies from the swanky flats along the river to the railway station. Somewhat surprisingly the yuppies preferred more private transport, so the boats are used by sight-seers and families taking their kids out. I this money-raking city, it was rather nice they were free of charge, irrespective of the original reason for that. Charging for them will probably be the beginning of the end :(

Yeah, particularly if you have several kids. It's a nice trip, but it only lasts 5 minutes! o_O

donn, cigarrodog, TFBraden and 3 others like this.
  9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Fab pics guys :) :thumbsup:

Great to see your hard-working Lambsfoot at work Greg :) :thumbsup:

Thank you for all the kind comments Gary, and sorry for the tease ;) It's great to see Black Jack again :) :thumbsup:

It certainly was ;) Here's the thread (though I'm afraid many of the pics are no longer hosted :( ): https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/interrupting-stan-shaws-marmalade-sandwich.1106897/

Great winter hill-walking fodder with all the fat and calories, but not recommended for daily consumption! :D :thumbsup:

That's interesting about the relatively high humidity David, I wasn't aware of that :thumbsup:

That's about all you could hear David! My mate's missus had to tell him to shut up and just order something else! :rolleyes: It's not like they were selling haute cuisine, so I've no idea why they didn't have any pies. I suspect heads will roll on the organising committee! :rolleyes: Nice pie, and your '19 is looking fantastic :thumbsup:

Yes, the Severe Weather Warnings were a tad unnecessarily to say the least! o_O I did at least expect it to be wet, and wore my boots accordingly, but after a day spent tramping largely dry pavement, my feet are suffering! o_O Great day though :) :thumbsup:

Cambertree, donn, OLd_gUY and 6 others like this.
  10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Wow! You guys have been knocking it out of the park with your Lambsfoot pics while I've been away :eek: :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks Dwight, beautiful photo :) :thumbsup:

Nice crisp pic John :) :thumbsup:

Scrumptious Harvey! :) :thumbsup:

Well done Barry, that's a great pic :thumbsup:

Lovely photo my friend, I love those Ironwood examples like that :) :thumbsup:

A work of art Dave :) :thumbsup:

Looking good Vince :) :thumbsup:

11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Me too my friend, I would never add ice to a good malt :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Vince :)

The pig probably snores less! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend :)

Thanks a lot GT :) :thumbsup:

Thanks pal, I like to think you were all with us there in spirit, and certainly in conversation :) We went into Barnitt's, and I was telling Duncan about your wife and daughter's visit. Wright's knives seem to be selling like hot cakes there, on the display stand, which holds about 50, there were only two knives left. They need to get re-stocking! :D :thumbsup:

These are shocking stories! :mad:They want keel-hauling, that's piracy on the high seas!! :thumbsup:

12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Momentous Charlie!! :cool: :cool: :thumbsup:

If I may be so bold, might I suggest, de-capitalizing cutlery company in favour of cutlery company? As an aside, you might not want to ignore the fact that the company who still own the Joseph Rodgers mark can be litigious :thumbsup:

Back in the late 70's, I was travelling with a pal, by train, from Rome to Paris. As often happened in those days, the train was actually a sleeper (a couchette), and so the guard required us to pay a supplement in addition to our tickets. We paid him in US Dollars, but later realised he had charged us an exorbitant amount. In the morning, as he walked past our compartment, four hands went out into the corridor, physically grabbed hold of him, and dragged him in. We recovered our dollars, which he still had in his pocket, and threw him out again, the crook! o_O :D

There's a thread?! :eek: o_O :rolleyes:

Great pic Barry, you're on a roll my friend :) :thumbsup:

I don't think anyone, anywhere, does better jigging than GEC at the moment :thumbsup:

Yes, tell me about it! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

:eek: :cool: :thumbsup:

LOL! :D I think you deserve a gift my friend, I have something in mind ;) :) :thumbsup:

Charlie is unstoppable! :) LOL! :D :thumbsup:

donn, Cambertree, TFBraden and 6 others like this.
  13. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    That should be a nice size :) That Wright is a looker too :) :thumbsup:

It's a great feeling! :D When I was a youngster, I once quit a job on the back of a postcard from Rome, the guys in the garage were talking about it for years after! :D :thumbsup:

Well, I think I finally got caught up - with this thread at least - so morning Guardians, and thanks for all the kind thoughts and good wishes. I had an absolutely fantastic day with Duncan, who barely let me get my hand in my pocket once! The day absolutely flew, as it did during our last meeting, but will stay with me forever. What a great guy :) Patient too, he had to wait even longer for his 2019 Guardians knives than Dave @dc50 ! :D :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

My Rosewood Hartshead Barlow seeing the sights ;) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Have a great day Guardians :) :thumbsup:

Now, I just have to reply to some PMs, and start in on my bulging e-mail folder! :eek: o_O :rolleyes:

Cambertree, donn, TFBraden and 12 others like this.
  14. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Oh man what a day yesterday was!!

Jack thank you my friend for taking the time out of your very busy schedule once again to spend the day with me- again it was SUCH a fantastic day!
    Weather was threatening to do its best to try and ruin the day - but it settled down rather quickly to stay simply overcast - although the Wind was pretty cold at first!
    Where Jack took the above photo was a welcome stop as it was cold then so it was a great Cappuccino that went down.......,

15. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    It was like Christmas all over again- I had a few Knives that I had ordered - and Jack being the extremely generous soul that he is- gifted me some OUTSTANDING knives.
    Please , please forgive me for not being able to show and tell as I will have to wait till I get home and take some Photos- but included in Jacks Gifts were a gorgeous Stag handled Peach Pruner - These are super cool Knives - Paul Hilborn gifted a gorgeous Horn handled Peach Pruner - and now with this Stag handled one its pretty much the most gorgeous pair of this pattern a happy man could have.
    That one knife alone by Jack was simply fantastic- he didn’t stop reaching into his bag of gifts!!!!! :eek:...,,. ( to be continued)

I must watch my spelling when using my Phone to post- apologies in advance - fat finger tips and predictive txting are not a good mix!

16. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Sitting with Jack in the Cafe was humbling as this great guy handed me over another beautiful knife - Gorgeous Horn handled a large Pruner - a pattern which I very much like and love to carry, by the way every knife that I ordered and that Jack gifted me was an A Wright & Son Ltd- I can tell that the quality of these knives is spectacular! The fit and finish on the knives are right up there with anyone.
    This Pruner is really really nice - The Horn is just beautiful- this Pruner also is finished nicely with a Brass Butt Plate - I personally think this makes a knife extremely classy!

Note; All the edges from factory were very very nice and Sharp!! :eek: :thumbsup:

17. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    I was lucky enough to be able to obtain the 2019 Lambsfoot knives - actually two - one for me and one for Mr Hilborn.
    The wood from what I have seen here with our lucky Guardians and the awesome photos The wood has been outstanding- such strong Vibrant colours and Grain in this Particular Wood - I can tell you that this is what came out and really struck me with these two knives - just so so attractive- as I said earlier the fit and finish on these knives is very good!
    The Bolster work is great - pinched Bolsters that are Threaded are perfect.
    I don’t know if this sounds silly? But I really appreciate the Stove pipe Kicks - brings you back to the very early day Sheffield’s!
    Again nice factory edges!
    I like the curvature of the Spine on these knives - simply a very well thought out and planned knife and I suspect greatly Mr Black is 100% behind every detail and the success of these lovely Lambsfoots.

Cambertree, donn, OLd_gUY and 10 others like this.
  18. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    I will catch up with everyone with the other gifts that Jack gave me - including an amazing Stag Handled Ashley’s Choice!
    I’m just a bit scared of hogging the lane - so I will report in a bit later with photos.

I’m sorry for going on but I am so grateful, excited and proud of these knives and extremely grateful to Jack and for Jack.

For anyone who has not met Jack in person- he is the same as he is known in the forums as being the most prolific gifting person because he is such the generous person of rightfully being proud of where he is from and such a great Historian of his Native Land.

On top of this Jacks just a great guy and as we go through life we meet some people who remain in your thoughts- Jack is this person.

We have a couple of people in the Traditional forum place who personally gave uplifted from the grave certain patterns of a knife - both Charlie and Jack are these people, and Jack personally I think is responsible for the revival of the Lambsfoot.

Quite an accomplishment.

19. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    I was just saying to my wife - again - last night that the news is all about people behaving badly. :( I don't watch the news. I choose to come here and sit on the Porch a spell, listening to you all telling your stories, sharing your knives, and caring about one another. Yes some of the guys in the rockers can get a bit windy ;) but it's all well intentioned and based on passion and caring. You won't hear me complain.

And so we have Duncan visiting with Jack - all good news of people behaving splendidly. Glad to be able to tune in. :cool: Looking forward to more photos Duncan. Thank you guys for taking care of each other. And thank you Jack for creating this enduring thread. My lamb foot is incoming (as I keep saying). Meanwhile I appreciate you indulging my hanging around. :)

Ray

20. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Great posts, Jack! So glad you had a good visit with Duncan. Just beginning my day.
    [​IMG]

Cambertree, donn, draggat and 10 others like this.