Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thanks Gary. You and your college roommate have good taste in music.
Taylor is tellin the truth! It was only 103* today, a little cooler than yesterday.

I had the 2018 Guardian's Lambsfoot in my pocket today when I quit my job.
h07037.gif

48046993832_d5c1894468_h.jpg

Now I'm like ^
OG

Ongoing planning:
Back Label:

After a prodigious study of antique cutlery we feel we have developed the perfect handle for a Lamb Foot Knife. It comes to hand well to do the work required of it.

The Lamb Foot blade has a straight, easily sharpened edge with a tapered configuration, giving exquisite reach.

The tip is sharp yet reinforced, so not prone to breakage like a more tapered blade. Its gradual slope makes it unobtrusive in the pocket.

This blade is a favourite of gardeners and those engaged in animal husbandry throughout the United Kingdom. After hundreds of years it is time for this knife to come into the

American lexicon like other Sheffield designs before it.

So here we have the first American-produced Lamb Foot Knife.

With a tip of the hat to the highly evolved Joseph Rodgers Cutlery Company of a century ago, and a stroke of genius from a certain local cutler, we have an ancient knife for the current age.

Remember to oil the joints and keep your knife sharp and wiped.

Thanks for your support of this old pattern.

CC/JB

(Rough for back label of Lamb Foot)

Really glad to see you're up and around Charlie! I was absent when that all happened, but wish you the best along with what appears to be a speedy recovery!

Also hoping to see this knife in person. Should be about 1/8" shorter than this one..... will be interesting to have them side to side.

2572bdv.jpg

flatblackcapo flatblackcapo Looks like you're stuck with the heat for another day or so.

Thanks Gary. You and your college roommate have good taste in music.
Taylor is tellin the truth! It was only 103* today, a little cooler than yesterday.

h07037.gif

Now I'm like ^
Well Congratulations, then. It must have been a great feeling of relief to pull the plug on them.

I lost the quotes I'd previously set up, so starting again :(

Be safe out there and enjoy your visit.

Thanks John, as it turned out the weather forecast was a severe exaggeration of some light drizzle towards the end of the day :rolleyes:

Jack Black Jack Black - I hope you and Duncan have a great time Jack. Be sure to wear your lifejackets! :D Say hi to the Kiwi for me.

flatblackcapo flatblackcapo - I am a fan of Who but even more so "Guess Who". I just thought it was very clever - Add one "E" to "THE" and you were addressing Jack for sure. :D But then you are a consistently clever character... :D :D :D

View attachment 1142390

We had a great day thanks Dwight, such a pleasure to spend time in Duncan's company again :) That's an excellent photo my friend :) :thumbsup:

Those are beautiful Jack! :thumbsup: I appreciate all you do my friend! :) Please tell Duncan and Sue hello and I hope y’all have a fantastic visit! :cool:

This Ironwood beauty resides in Tennessee, USA! :eek: :D

33558286548_0474c7b4e0_b_d.jpg

Thanks Ron, great day :) Great pic there, love that Ironwood :) :thumbsup:

Starts June 10:eek:
38E64EDD-5635-4BC6-B907-13198328CB8F_zpsrcvovaal.jpeg

I know the guys that pilot those boats (previously Amsterdam river taxis, hence the names)! :eek: They run a shuttle service along the river from the Royal Armouries to Leeds railway station. Despite the fact that Leeds, unlike most UK towns and cities, charges for the central shuttle bus which operates between the train and bus stations, the river taxis were free because they were intended to transport yuppies from the swanky flats along the river to the railway station. Somewhat surprisingly the yuppies preferred more private transport, so the boats are used by sight-seers and families taking their kids out. I this money-raking city, it was rather nice they were free of charge, irrespective of the original reason for that. Charging for them will probably be the beginning of the end :(

Seems quite a jump from zero to 100p.

Yeah, particularly if you have several kids. It's a nice trip, but it only lasts 5 minutes! o_O

Carrying this one today.

1HZdMNS.jpg

Pacific Northwest Chapter checking in:

mq6LC2Y.jpg

TBALTDQ.jpg

Another picture of Guardians 19.;):thumbsup:

2gxr28j.jpg

Fab pics guys :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for your kind words and observations on the index, @JohnDF, Jack Black Jack Black , cigarrodog cigarrodog , and @Pàdruig. Much appreciated.

Today was a buffalo horn day. Its first task was opening up a package of hot links for lunch:

htheVXkh.jpg

Having completed its most important task of the day—hot links are tasty; cardboard and plastic are not: the hot links had to be freed—it got to relax a bit while I enjoyed some iced coffee on this very hot day:

I1gpzRuh.jpg

And, finally, because it's Monday and the recycling is picked up in the morning, it got to break down cardboard boxes. I'm pretty sure that's its favorite task:

QrnIr6dh.jpg

You can see from the light scratches in this last photo that this knife puts in a lot of work. It seems to love it, though, and just keeps on tackling more.

Have a great week, everyone.

Great to see your hard-working Lambsfoot at work Greg :) :thumbsup:

Dang it! I picked out these posts last night, but am only getting around to commenting now. What ever happened to my efficiency??

Harvey, I got a knot in the pit of my stomach when I read you couldn't find your senator! :eek::( But later I found a post in which what appears to be your senator appears with a cool flashlight. So the lost lamb has been found? :cool::cool::thumbsup:
That Crookes lambsfoot is a jewel on its bed of diamonds! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sounds like a good knife pic principle, John. :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
My lunch Saturday was very enjoyable, eating yellow tortilla chips with raspberry chipotle salsa my wife found somewhere. :):cool:

Somehow, I'm not buying that, Dave, but I love the lamb in sheepskin clothing! :p:D

Good advice, Harvey. :thumbsup::thumbsup::) I guess each of us is our own worst critic in knife photography (as well as plenty of other arenas).
I like those Cooper's Dip ads; I would have bought it! ;)

Thanks for the positive remarks, Jack. :)
Those Barlows and their britches are beguiling! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for all of your contributions to making this the best thread on the forums, Joshua, and I'm sure you'll be welcomed here again whenever you have an opportunity to visit! :):thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Numbers 6:24-26

That's a potent pair, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

:thumbsup::D:thumbsup: Skoll looks like a fire wolf in this shot!! :cool::cool::thumbsup::eek:

Not only are you a nice guy who knows knives and posts stunning photos, but you're also a "moth whisperer"?? :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Thanks for the support you give all of us, Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
That blond horn of yours is so distinctive; sure glad you decided to keep it! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks for the update! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: I hope your surgery/rehab is trouble-free. Your stag lambsfoot is handsome as heck!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

What a great story with a happy ending due to the global "reach" of Yorkshire! :p:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

And Jack survives a similar key escapade! :eek::thumbsup::D
Maybe we should expand the name of our august organization to Guardians of the Lambsfoot and Keepers of the Keys! :rolleyes:

OMG OG!! Breathtaking! :eek::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Glad you could get out for some reconnaissance, John. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: Thanks for the pics; it's good to see the rosewood on the river! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

RALF is looking better than ever, Jeff! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Whose idea was the hiatus, yours or RALF's?? ;)

I hope you have an enjoyable and memorable time with your visitors, Jack! :):):cool:

OK, the rest of you American Guardians can stop worrying - it was I! :(:oops::oops:
I can make up some excuses, though. (Let me know if any of them are plausible. :rolleyes:)
- before ordering, I happened to read both E.E. Hale's "The Man Without a Country" and K. Vonnegut's A Man Without a Country.
- I had heard that America had been made great again, so I thought my country needed no introduction.
- I ordered 2 days before my first cataract surgery, so I was somewhat preoccupied.
- I wanted to do something that would let me secure my place in the annals (anals?) of the Guardians.

OK, moving on to my Lambsfoot of this Week ... The schedule says we're back to the start of the alphabet, so Black Jack, the 2018 ebony Guardians Lambsfoot is my sidekick for the week. (Special Honor: Black Jack will accompany me to the 50-year reunion of my high school graduating class.)
View attachment 1142722

- GT

Thank you for all the kind comments Gary, and sorry for the tease ;) It's great to see Black Jack again :) :thumbsup:

Orange marmalade, I hope :D

It certainly was ;) Here's the thread (though I'm afraid many of the pics are no longer hosted :( ): https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/interrupting-stan-shaws-marmalade-sandwich.1106897/

It definately is! I also love shortbread! In fact I like it so much I don't keep any in the house :(

Great winter hill-walking fodder with all the fat and calories, but not recommended for daily consumption! :D :thumbsup:

95 years! Wow!. Looking at the knife reminded me of something I read years ago. They always assumed that if they find Sandy Irving's body, they'll find the camera they were carrying, which could prove once and for all whether the pair achieved the summit. However, apparently, because of a quirk of meterology the air on Everest is far more humid than should be the case at those altitudes. This means that if ever anyone was to find the camera there's little chance the film will of survived as the moisture will of destroyed it. On any other mountain range that knife would probably of been virtually rust free but not on Everest.
Thanks for posting the pictures. :thumbsup:

That's interesting about the relatively high humidity David, I wasn't aware of that :thumbsup:

No.....pies...??? No....PIES...???!!! Is Leeds no longer part of Yorkshire??:confused::D

It's always exaggerated Jack. :eek: Probably by the same sort of folk who hold beer pie-less beer festivals. :rolleyes:

No pie....:rolleyes: Disgraceful....:rolleyes:
OdbSBRg.jpg

That's about all you could hear David! My mate's missus had to tell him to shut up and just order something else! :rolleyes: It's not like they were selling haute cuisine, so I've no idea why they didn't have any pies. I suspect heads will roll on the organising committee! :rolleyes: Nice pie, and your '19 is looking fantastic :thumbsup:

Yes, the Severe Weather Warnings were a tad unnecessarily to say the least! o_O I did at least expect it to be wet, and wore my boots accordingly, but after a day spent tramping largely dry pavement, my feet are suffering! o_O Great day though :) :thumbsup:

Wow! You guys have been knocking it out of the park with your Lambsfoot pics while I've been away :eek: :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks Dwight, beautiful photo :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians

Nice crisp pic John :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians. No pies @donn, but this will have to suffice.:)
View attachment 1142917

Scrumptious Harvey! :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! I recently upgraded to a smart phone and am learning to navigate and post photos with it. I hope to be better able to keep up with this thread with this new (to me) technology. This is my first attempt so here goes!

eECjJSy.jpg

Well done Barry, that's a great pic :thumbsup:

Sometimes the rotation gets stuck like an old record player. If you remember that you're old.View attachment 1142941

Lovely photo my friend, I love those Ironwood examples like that :) :thumbsup:

A work of art Dave :) :thumbsup:

G'day, Guardians!
cFkPEjh.jpg

Looking good Vince :) :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:
Very good choice (IMHO) for those who like peaty taste. Personally I prefer to drink my whisky without ice. And such a nice knife :thumbsup:

Me too my friend, I would never add ice to a good malt :) :thumbsup:

Pleasant dreams, Jack!

Thank you Vince :)

The pig probably snores less! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend :)

Heavenly Hartshead Barlows, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Looking up postal codes was a good idea! Interesting results. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
+5K to @r8shell's bolded remark!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Nice shot of your ironwood, FBC! :cool::cool::thumbsup: A college roommate had that album and it was one of my favorites at the time, with the song Vince mentioned being one of my favorite cuts. Taylor seems to have a reasonable objection to the lyric! :D

Dwight & Vince, I'm in awe of your clever wordplay!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::p I have to confess it took me a while to "catch" what each of you was doing, but it was well worth my slow effort! :rolleyes: And what little Spanish vocabulary I've inherited from my daughter made me go listen to this after reading Dwight's Spanish comment:

Some extremely handsome horn, @lambertiana and @Pàdruig !! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Good way to describe an aspect of the evolution of this thread, Greg! :eek::D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great to see you stop in and give a report! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Man, your AC seems to have turned into a vicious Angry Cutter, Vince! :eek::(:thumbsdown: Hope you heal clean and quickly! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I like your cantina story (and it made me go listen to an online version of Marty Robbins "El Paso" :rolleyes:).

:):thumbsup: I'll have to try counting sometime.

Stunning stag, Steve! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I can certainly relate to your anxiety over trying to deal with the pace of the thread! :eek::rolleyes:

Harry, I've often heard that eye witness testimony is famously unreliable, but I trust that your old TEW is VERY trustworthy! ;):thumbsup::cool:

Dave, I'm gonna go out on a limb and note that your stag is a champ! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Good analysis, Greg, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the situation described in your conclusion! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

A couple of excellent points about posting rates and about the nature of the thread index and its creator! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)
I like this "Double Vs for Victory" shot of your Barlows!! :cool::cool::)

- GT

Thanks a lot GT :) :thumbsup:

Glad you could have a great time together, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::)

What a cute little pig in lamb jams! :p:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Black Jack has a butt crack; don't we all? :D:rolleyes:
View attachment 1143126

- GT

Thanks pal, I like to think you were all with us there in spirit, and certainly in conversation :) We went into Barnitt's, and I was telling Duncan about your wife and daughter's visit. Wright's knives seem to be selling like hot cakes there, on the display stand, which holds about 50, there were only two knives left. They need to get re-stocking! :D :thumbsup:

That happened to Linda and I on our first Visit Puerto Vallarta he took the $50 and never came back. :eek: We were pretty new to travel at the time and didn't want to cause a problem so let it go. :rolleyes:

These are shocking stories! :mad:They want keel-hauling, that's piracy on the high seas!! :thumbsup:

Ongoing planning:
Back Label:

After a prodigious study of antique cutlery we feel we have developed the perfect handle for a Lamb Foot Knife. It comes to hand well to do the work required of it.

The Lamb Foot blade has a straight, easily sharpened edge with a tapered configuration, giving exquisite reach.

The tip is sharp yet reinforced, so not prone to breakage like a more tapered blade. Its gradual slope makes it unobtrusive in the pocket.

This blade is a favourite of gardeners and those engaged in animal husbandry throughout the United Kingdom. After hundreds of years it is time for this knife to come into the

American lexicon like other Sheffield designs before it.

So here we have the first American-produced Lamb Foot Knife.

With a tip of the hat to the highly evolved Joseph Rodgers Cutlery Company of a century ago, and a stroke of genius from a certain local cutler, we have an ancient knife for the current age.

Remember to oil the joints and keep your knife sharp and wiped.

Thanks for your support of this old pattern.

CC/JB

(Rough for back label of Lamb Foot)

Momentous Charlie!! :cool: :cool: :thumbsup:

If I may be so bold, might I suggest, de-capitalizing cutlery company in favour of cutlery company? As an aside, you might not want to ignore the fact that the company who still own the Joseph Rodgers mark can be litigious :thumbsup:

While in Rome, I got short changed at a restaurant near the Vatican. When I went back and called them on it; they gave me the correct change. I am sure that it was deliberate as I got no resistance at all when I called them on it.

Back in the late 70's, I was travelling with a pal, by train, from Rome to Paris. As often happened in those days, the train was actually a sleeper (a couchette), and so the guard required us to pay a supplement in addition to our tickets. We paid him in US Dollars, but later realised he had charged us an exorbitant amount. In the morning, as he walked past our compartment, four hands went out into the corridor, physically grabbed hold of him, and dragged him in. We recovered our dollars, which he still had in his pocket, and threw him out again, the crook! o_O :D

Looking forward to seeing the product of your labors, Charlie. The previous response was to the HS reunion-gambling ship thread.

There's a thread?! :eek: o_O :rolleyes:

Cant wait for the 93 lamb foot Charlie!

vaUP7U5.jpg

Great pic Barry, you're on a roll my friend :) :thumbsup:

Simply perfect as the your Lambsfoot will be, Charlie. I saw an image of the jigged bone hafts, and my first thought was that it looked as someone in Sheffield, a long time ago, did the jigging. To your good health.

I don't think anyone, anywhere, does better jigging than GEC at the moment :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, it's good to be back. Trying to keep up! BTW, those Hartshead Barlows are amazing!

Thanks! I'm sure yours will be excellent as well! I actually have another one of the 'same' knife. I put that in quotes because when it comes to stag, none are quite the same. These two actually feel very different in hand. Can't wait to see yours! Both of mine were luck of the draw so to speak.

33cujae.jpg

n5gd2t.jpg

Thanks! Barely able to get through this one post!! Thank you very much, a beautiful pair :) :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your eye problems. I have glaucoma too. :thumbsdown: one month of eye drops could be a new knife :(

Hopefully more to come later, but if not, have a great night Guardians!

Yes, tell me about it! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

h07037.gif

Now I'm like ^

:eek: :cool: :thumbsup:

Thank you, Dwight.....Do you know this one? :D;)
soul-train-3.gif

LOL! :D I think you deserve a gift my friend, I have something in mind ;) :) :thumbsup:

It is GREAT to see your post and even better to know that you have recovered enough to give us this update. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Really looking forward to it!
It's pretty obvious that you've been putting in a lot of work with the Physical Terrorist. Grats and keep on keepin' on.
OG

Charlie is unstoppable! :) LOL! :D :thumbsup:

Really glad to see you're up and around Charlie! I was absent when that all happened, but wish you the best along with what appears to be a speedy recovery!

Also hoping to see this knife in person. Should be about 1/8" shorter than this one..... will be interesting to have them side to side.

2572bdv.jpg

flatblackcapo flatblackcapo Looks like you're stuck with the heat for another day or so.

That should be a nice size :) That Wright is a looker too :) :thumbsup:

Rock on Kevin :thumbsup::cool: I've done that a few times in my life, trust me, things always work out for the best.:thumbsup::D
images

It's a great feeling! :D When I was a youngster, I once quit a job on the back of a postcard from Rome, the guys in the garage were talking about it for years after! :D :thumbsup:

Well, I think I finally got caught up - with this thread at least - so morning Guardians, and thanks for all the kind thoughts and good wishes. I had an absolutely fantastic day with Duncan, who barely let me get my hand in my pocket once! The day absolutely flew, as it did during our last meeting, but will stay with me forever. What a great guy :) Patient too, he had to wait even longer for his 2019 Guardians knives than Dave dc50 dc50 ! :D :thumbsup:

oZujWWK.jpg

My Rosewood Hartshead Barlow seeing the sights ;) :thumbsup:

HgWmMQM.jpg

Have a great day Guardians :) :thumbsup:

Now, I just have to reply to some PMs, and start in on my bulging e-mail folder! :eek: o_O :rolleyes:

Oh man what a day yesterday was!!

Jack thank you my friend for taking the time out of your very busy schedule once again to spend the day with me- again it was SUCH a fantastic day!
Weather was threatening to do its best to try and ruin the day - but it settled down rather quickly to stay simply overcast - although the Wind was pretty cold at first!
Where Jack took the above photo was a welcome stop as it was cold then so it was a great Cappuccino that went down.......,

It was like Christmas all over again- I had a few Knives that I had ordered - and Jack being the extremely generous soul that he is- gifted me some OUTSTANDING knives.
Please , please forgive me for not being able to show and tell as I will have to wait till I get home and take some Photos- but included in Jacks Gifts were a gorgeous Stag handled Peach Pruner - These are super cool Knives - Paul Hilborn gifted a gorgeous Horn handled Peach Pruner - and now with this Stag handled one its pretty much the most gorgeous pair of this pattern a happy man could have.
That one knife alone by Jack was simply fantastic- he didn’t stop reaching into his bag of gifts!!!!! :eek:...,,. ( to be continued)

I must watch my spelling when using my Phone to post- apologies in advance - fat finger tips and predictive txting are not a good mix!

Sitting with Jack in the Cafe was humbling as this great guy handed me over another beautiful knife - Gorgeous Horn handled a large Pruner - a pattern which I very much like and love to carry, by the way every knife that I ordered and that Jack gifted me was an A Wright & Son Ltd- I can tell that the quality of these knives is spectacular! The fit and finish on the knives are right up there with anyone.
This Pruner is really really nice - The Horn is just beautiful- this Pruner also is finished nicely with a Brass Butt Plate - I personally think this makes a knife extremely classy!

Note; All the edges from factory were very very nice and Sharp!! :eek: :thumbsup:

I was lucky enough to be able to obtain the 2019 Lambsfoot knives - actually two - one for me and one for Mr Hilborn.
The wood from what I have seen here with our lucky Guardians and the awesome photos The wood has been outstanding- such strong Vibrant colours and Grain in this Particular Wood - I can tell you that this is what came out and really struck me with these two knives - just so so attractive- as I said earlier the fit and finish on these knives is very good!
The Bolster work is great - pinched Bolsters that are Threaded are perfect.
I don’t know if this sounds silly? But I really appreciate the Stove pipe Kicks - brings you back to the very early day Sheffield’s!
Again nice factory edges!
I like the curvature of the Spine on these knives - simply a very well thought out and planned knife and I suspect greatly Mr Black is 100% behind every detail and the success of these lovely Lambsfoots.

I will catch up with everyone with the other gifts that Jack gave me - including an amazing Stag Handled Ashley’s Choice!
I’m just a bit scared of hogging the lane - so I will report in a bit later with photos.

I’m sorry for going on but I am so grateful, excited and proud of these knives and extremely grateful to Jack and for Jack.

For anyone who has not met Jack in person- he is the same as he is known in the forums as being the most prolific gifting person because he is such the generous person of rightfully being proud of where he is from and such a great Historian of his Native Land.

On top of this Jacks just a great guy and as we go through life we meet some people who remain in your thoughts- Jack is this person.

We have a couple of people in the Traditional forum place who personally gave uplifted from the grave certain patterns of a knife - both Charlie and Jack are these people, and Jack personally I think is responsible for the revival of the Lambsfoot.

Quite an accomplishment.

I was just saying to my wife - again - last night that the news is all about people behaving badly. :( I don't watch the news. I choose to come here and sit on the Porch a spell, listening to you all telling your stories, sharing your knives, and caring about one another. Yes some of the guys in the rockers can get a bit windy ;) but it's all well intentioned and based on passion and caring. You won't hear me complain.

And so we have Duncan visiting with Jack - all good news of people behaving splendidly. Glad to be able to tune in. :cool: Looking forward to more photos Duncan. Thank you guys for taking care of each other. And thank you Jack for creating this enduring thread. My lamb foot is incoming (as I keep saying). Meanwhile I appreciate you indulging my hanging around. :)

Ray

That should be a nice size :) That Wright is a looker too :) :thumbsup:

It's a great feeling! :D When I was a youngster, I once quit a job on the back of a postcard from Rome, the guys in the garage were talking about it for years after! :D :thumbsup:

Well, I think I finally got caught up - with this thread at least - so morning Guardians, and thanks for all the kind thoughts and good wishes. I had an absolutely fantastic day with Duncan, who barely let me get my hand in my pocket once! The day absolutely flew, as it did during our last meeting, but will stay with me forever. What a great guy :) Patient too, he had to wait even longer for his 2019 Guardians knives than Dave dc50 dc50 ! :D :thumbsup:

oZujWWK.jpg

My Rosewood Hartshead Barlow seeing the sights ;) :thumbsup:

HgWmMQM.jpg

Have a great day Guardians :) :thumbsup:

Now, I just have to reply to some PMs, and start in on my bulging e-mail folder! :eek: o_O :rolleyes:
Great posts, Jack! So glad you had a good visit with Duncan. Just beginning my day.
R1dFw7z.jpg

Back