Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I lost the quotes I'd previously set up, so starting again :(
I sure wish I didn't understand this!!!! I have my computer back, they couldn't find anything wrong. It keeps doing the same for my at home, but couldn't get it to do it in the shop...very frustrating.

Anyway, I have a lot of catching up to do, reading wise, don't think I'l be able to do much in the reply/quote dept.

Have a great hump day Guardians.
IMG_1171.JPG

Ongoing planning:
Back Label:

After a prodigious study of antique cutlery we feel we have developed the perfect handle for a Lamb Foot Knife. It comes to hand well to do the work required of it.

The Lamb Foot blade has a straight, easily sharpened edge with a tapered configuration, giving exquisite reach.

The tip is sharp yet reinforced, so not prone to breakage like a more tapered blade. Its gradual slope makes it unobtrusive in the pocket.

This blade is a favourite of gardeners and those engaged in animal husbandry throughout the United Kingdom. After hundreds of years it is time for this knife to come into the

American lexicon like other Sheffield designs before it.

So here we have the first American-produced Lamb Foot Knife.

With a tip of the hat to the highly evolved Joseph Rodgers Cutlery Company of a century ago, and a stroke of genius from a certain local cutler, we have an ancient knife for the current age.

Remember to oil the joints and keep your knife sharp and wiped.

Thanks for your support of this old pattern.

CC/JB

(Rough for back label of Lamb Foot)
It's very exciting to see this project happening here in the US.
It's even more exciting to see you back working on it after your layup.

Well, I think I finally got caught up - with this thread at least - so morning Guardians, and thanks for all the kind thoughts and good wishes. I had an absolutely fantastic day with Duncan, who barely let me get my hand in my pocket once! The day absolutely flew, as it did during our last meeting, but will stay with me forever. What a great guy :) Patient too, he had to wait even longer for his 2019 Guardians knives than Dave dc50 dc50 ! :D :thumbsup:

oZujWWK.jpg
I'm glad the weather smiled on you and that you had a good visit with your friend Duncan.

My Rosewood Hartshead Barlow seeing the sights ;) :thumbsup:

HgWmMQM.jpg

Have a great day Guardians :) :thumbsup:

Now, I just have to reply to some PMs, and start in on my bulging e-mail folder! :eek: o_O :rolleyes:
Such a classic looking Barlow. :cool: :thumbsup:

Oh man what a day yesterday was!!

Jack thank you my friend for taking the time out of your very busy schedule once again to spend the day with me- again it was SUCH a fantastic day!
Weather was threatening to do its best to try and ruin the day - but it settled down rather quickly to stay simply overcast - although the Wind was pretty cold at first!
Where Jack took the above photo was a welcome stop as it was cold then so it was a great Cappuccino that went down.......,
Sounds like you had a great visit with our friend Jack. Can't wait to see all the pictures. :cool: :thumbsup:

Great posts, Jack! So glad you had a good visit with Duncan. Just beginning my day.
R1dFw7z.jpg
Coffee and Lamb... Starting your day right, Vince. :cool: :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
I had a super busy day yesterday. Luckily my chores kept me out of the 100+ degree heat for the most part. Went and saw the movie, Godzilla. It was a fun and very exciting movie, I recommend it to all the monster movie fans. Then I drove my son down to the Bay Area to drop him off for the Summer. He will be competing in a Drum and Bugle Corp and touring California to compete against other bands from across the U.S. I know he's going to have fun, but 12 hours a day is going to be tough in this heat with a Contra (tuba) on his shoulder. Hope all you Guardians have a fantastic day. :cool: :thumbsup:

Oh man what a day yesterday was!!

Jack thank you my friend for taking the time out of your very busy schedule once again to spend the day with me- again it was SUCH a fantastic day!
Weather was threatening to do its best to try and ruin the day - but it settled down rather quickly to stay simply overcast - although the Wind was pretty cold at first!
Where Jack took the above photo was a welcome stop as it was cold then so it was a great Cappuccino that went down.......,

You travelled a lot further than I did Duncan! And I know you are on a very busy schedule yourself, so I am grateful to have been able to spend time with you, it was a real treat my friend :)

It was like Christmas all over again- I had a few Knives that I had ordered - and Jack being the extremely generous soul that he is- gifted me some OUTSTANDING knives.

As many of us know, first-hand, here, Duncan's generosity is as legendary as his modesty, but this is the LAMBSFOOT thread, so JUST LAMBSFOOT KNIVES here please :) :thumbsup:

I was lucky enough to be able to obtain the 2019 Lambsfoot knives - actually two - one for me and one for Mr Hilborn.
The wood from what I have seen here with our lucky Guardians and the awesome photos The wood has been outstanding- such strong Vibrant colours and Grain in this Particular Wood - I can tell you that this is what came out and really struck me with these two knives - just so so attractive- as I said earlier the fit and finish on these knives is very good!
The Bolster work is great - pinched Bolsters that are Threaded are perfect.
I don’t know if this sounds silly? But I really appreciate the Stove pipe Kicks - brings you back to the very early day Sheffield’s!
Again nice factory edges!
I like the curvature of the Spine on these knives - simply a very well thought out and planned knife and I suspect greatly Mr Black is 100% behind every detail and the success of these lovely Lambsfoots.

I'm very glad you're pleased with them Duncan, you have been very patient in waiting for them, and it was much nicer handing them over to you in person than having to ship them in the post :) Thank you for your very kind words my friend, I hope we can meet up again before too long :) :thumbsup:

an4n1I7.jpg

I was telling York about how regularly the City of York floods, here's a photo taken from that same bridge on another occasion :eek: :thumbsup:

K17tkoU.jpg

We had lunch in the same old (15th century) pub as I ate lunch with @herder a couple of year's back :)

https://www.blackswanyork.com/

I was just saying to my wife - again - last night that the news is all about people behaving badly. :( I don't watch the news. I choose to come here and sit on the Porch a spell, listening to you all telling your stories, sharing your knives, and caring about one another. Yes some of the guys in the rockers can get a bit windy ;) but it's all well intentioned and based on passion and caring. You won't hear me complain.

And so we have Duncan visiting with Jack - all good news of people behaving splendidly. Glad to be able to tune in. :cool: Looking forward to more photos Duncan. Thank you guys for taking care of each other. And thank you Jack for creating this enduring thread. My lamb foot is incoming (as I keep saying). Meanwhile I appreciate you indulging my hanging around. :)

Ray

LOL! :D Thanks to all our fine contributors Ray :) :thumbsup:

Great posts, Jack! So glad you had a good visit with Duncan. Just beginning my day.
R1dFw7z.jpg

Thanks buddy, I was just enjoying a nice strong cup of coffee myself when I first saw your post :) :thumbsup:

I sure wish I didn't understand this!!!! I have my computer back, they couldn't find anything wrong. It keeps doing the same for my at home, but couldn't get it to do it in the shop...very frustrating.

Anyway, I have a lot of catching up to do, reading wise, don't think I'l be able to do much in the reply/quote dept.

Have a great hump day Guardians.
IMG_1171.JPG

It is so frustrating Preston :( That is a beautiful photo though my friend :) :thumbsup:

I'm glad the weather smiled on you and that you had a good visit with your friend Duncan.

Such a classic looking Barlow. :cool: :thumbsup:

Sounds like you had a great visit with our friend Jack. Can't wait to see all the pictures. :cool: :thumbsup:

Coffee and Lamb... Starting your day right, Vince. :cool: :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
I had a super busy day yesterday. Luckily my chores kept me out of the 100+ degree heat for the most part. Went and saw the movie, Godzilla. It was a fun and very exciting movie, I recommend it to all the monster movie fans. Then I drove my son down to the Bay Area to drop him off for the Summer. He will be competing in a Drum and Bugle Corp and touring California to compete against other bands from across the U.S. I know he's going to have fun, but 12 hours a day is going to be tough in this heat with a Contra (tuba) on his shoulder. Hope all you Guardians have a fantastic day. :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot John, it could have smiled a wee bit more! :D But it was still a lovely day, and one I am sure I will remember for year's to come :) :thumbsup:

Cool pic :cool: :thumbsup:

Hi Jack.
Oooops I did get a bit carried away by describing the non Lambsfoots Jack. Apologies my friend :oops:

Thank you for the kind words- once I get home I can take photos and post them up :D :thumbsup:

The Hartshead wee story Jack is a great one supplied with those gorgeous Barlow’s.
what superbly built Knives!! Gorgeous Stag too!
Everything that has been done on these Barlow’s is done well.

The Bolsters that have a Satin/ Dark finish is a handsome touch superbly finished with Wright’s etching. What I REALLY like is the very deep Hartshead Etching on that lovely Blade!!!

Whoa!!!!!!! I see what you mean about the Flood waters Jack!!!

Thank you again Jack!

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouraging words, Preston.:) I think many of us here, including you, take quite a personal approach in our responses to posts :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:. Maybe that's why the traditional sub-forum is often called The Porch. ;) I never use the "like" button, partly because I'd just end up doing it for almost every post I read, and partly because I have this weird phobia about "like" buttons being too impersonal. So I try to make up for that by investing some time in responding more personally to a few posts each day, somewhere on BF. :rolleyes:

What an impressive vista, Preston, with apparently limitless horizon!! :eek::cool::cool:
Very thoughtful of you to consider your neighbors' sleep before mowing. :cool::thumbsup: My wife always reminds me of that when I want to mow in the cool of the morning, and I reluctantly take her advice, but I tell her I'd prefer to give the neighbors an opportunity to share the joy and promise of a fresh new day with me! :rolleyes:

+ 5K! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Preach it, Brother Preston! :cool::thumbsup::)

- GT
Gary, I know this is ancient...in terms the Lambsfoot thread of today. I just got my computer back and while not right I'm going to try and respond. Thank you for being so diligent in your replies and making them personal...I understand your feelings of the 'like' button...you are a fine person!

An ebony Lambsfoot is a beauty in its own right. :)
View attachment 1143527

Great-looking ebony Dave :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack. Sounds like you and Duncan had a perfect visit. :cool:

Campbellclanman Campbellclanman - Great posts Duncan. Safe travels!

View attachment 1143528

It would have been nice to have had a little sunshine Dwight - bearing in mind it is June :rolleyes; But, apart from that it was a perfect day my friend :) Poor Duncan had to get up at 5.30am to make the journey (an hour later for me), so we got to spend a full day together :) :thumbsup:

Hi Jack.
Oooops I did get a bit carried away by describing the non Lambsfoots Jack. Apologies my friend :oops:

Thank you for the kind words- once I get home I can take photos and post them up :D :thumbsup:

The Hartshead wee story Jack is a great one supplied with those gorgeous Barlow’s.
what superbly built Knives!! Gorgeous Stag too!
Everything that has been done on these Barlow’s is done well.

The Bolsters that have a Satin/ Dark finish is a handsome touch superbly finished with Wright’s etching. What I REALLY like is the very deep Hartshead Etching on that lovely Blade!!!

Whoa!!!!!!! I see what you mean about the Flood waters Jack!!!

Thank you again Jack!

Looking forward to seeing your pics Duncan, you take great photos :) I am really pleased with the Barlows :) Here's my other pic from yesterday :) :thumbsup:

Vk9wlle.jpg

What a beauty!

Thanks Vince, I have been so busy that I haven't been able to find time to take many outdoor pics. I snapped a couple on the wall outside my house on the way to the post office :thumbsup:

f1OLdDb.jpg

Cool tribute pic Taylor :cool: :) :thumbsup:

:eek: yowza that's a great knife there!

Thank you :) :thumbsup:

You are now my idol!:D:thumbsup:

An angelic glow!:eek: Purdy, Jack!:cool::thumbsup:

Nice photo on the photo block, John!:cool::thumbsup:

^
This! :):thumbsup:

Dandy, Dave!
Glad you guys are getting settled it.....and becoming a valued patron of a couple of local establishments!:D:thumbsup:

Very nice, Ron! The stag and wood go wonderfully!:):thumbsup:

Great photo! Looks like a reliable friend!:thumbsup:

Great shot, Dwight! Very rugged looking!:):thumbsup:

Great Flashback Friday Foto, OG!:cool::thumbsup: I always enjoy them!:thumbsup:

Lovely, Vince! I can smell the jasmine from here! :):thumbsup: Love jasmine, honeysuckle, and miss our magnolia tree!

Absolutely beautiful, Harvey!! A real gem to behold!:eek::thumbsup:

Great photo, Preston! Incredible covers, and the PW goes nicely!:cool::thumbsup:

A GREAT looking pair to be sure, Jack!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Enjoy your fresh air time!:cool:

Great trio's from both of you gents!:):thumbsup:

:D Nice, John!
I'm not calling anyone names here, but somewhere, or sometime, Nerd Alerts are sounding!:p:thumbsup:
Did you make it?

Very lovely shot, Gary! Just need a little lemonade and some easy guitar playing!:):thumbsup:

Since I'm hopelessly behind, I'll start up from today. I think the worst is over, and I hope any and that might have been affected by the tornadoes and flooding, recover quickly, and our prayers are with you.
Here is a photo from western Oklahoma, super cell close to tornadoing...
View attachment 1138025
Flooding around Tulsa area.
View attachment 1138026 View attachment 1138027

My carry today, and a page taken from Dave's book of photography :D
View attachment 1138035
Thanks Dennis, glad you're safe. That is an incredible photo of that super cell...so scary. We've had some threatening weather(tornado watch and warnings) the past few weeks, but, nothing like that and I hope we don't! Stay safe.
I just hate not being able to catch up and comment on so many great posts!:thumbsup:
Mother Nature at her worst can be so devastating and destructive.

Back