Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Oew9gC0.jpg

Even Daleks like Hartshead Barlows!

They can be sweetened up Rachel, but I think the pen is probably a more useful addition to a Big 'Un, like this William Rodgers Charlie gifted me some years back :) :thumbsup:

OF9woxS.jpg

That's good you can pinch open all your Lambsfoot knives :) I do think a lot of it is just down to practice, I doubt I have particularly strong fingers (I haven't climbed for 20 years now or done a manual job for longer), but I've been pinching open knife blades since I was a kid, and have no problem pinching open my Lambsfoot blades. It's even easier with the candle-end models, such as the Hartshead Barlow :thumbsup:
Oh, that's a lovely Rodger's, Jack.
I'm sure there are others with different opinions Dave, sometimes you need diamonds because of the steel, or because you're re-profiling the angle of the edge, but particularly with pocket knives, I find the 'grittiness' of diamonds slightly irritating. I've been using ceramics ever since Sal G sent me a couple of the flat Spyderco ceramic stones in the early 90's, and I've been experimenting with strops lately, but I'm a run-of-the-mill sharpener compared to our experts here :thumbsup:
I feel the same way about the diamond stones. The ceramics have a smoother feel, and I don't have to worry if I happen to use too much pressure.

My Dutch immigrant grandfather tried to convince me this could be done as we brought in a newborn calf from the pasture when I was about 8 or 10. :rolleyes: I had no idea it was actually an ancient Greek legend about an athlete (who apparently knew Pythagoras)!
I take it you didn't fall for it? And yet, after all these years, you find yourself adding a knife or two to each week's carry. Soon you'll be able to lift a steel girder.
Thanks, Rachel. Your HHB is looking well loved. :thumbsup:
Indeed it is. I even took it out for a junk food snack this afternoon. :D
SoxbHJ9.jpg

(hey, everyone! They are giving away a A.W.&.S at A&W's!) :p

Arkansas stones are just fine. There are so many materials available to sharpen knives that it is impossible to say which one is best. Many times it's not the stone but the person that determines a good outcome.

Right. These lambsfoot knives are made from simple carbon steel. The straight edge profile is the easiest of all blade shapes to sharpen. Any cheap grocery store stone should be able to put an edge on. If having trouble, the focus should be on improving technique not on upgrading equipment.

Milo of Crotona, was it? I believe he died getting stuck in a tree he was trying to split with his bare hands.

I have a small stockman with a lambsfoot instead of a sheepfoot, a Utica made in Japan.

I was going to ask if you hunt those little things, but ...
No hunting this little fella, he's so well behaved:)

Paul, my friend, I’m so glad you got your beautiful Ebony Lambsfoot back home! :thumbsup: That’s a great story to boot! :D :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! :) It’s shaping up to be a double Lambsfoot day for me! I hope y’all have a great weekend! :D :thumbsup:

48220153551_8d6ebe78c1_b_d.jpg
Thanks Ron, it's had some interesting days in it's brief history;) great duo:thumbsup:

gRCU1bk.jpg

Mine isn't that bad. Certainly no worse than the large rosewood which although looser than what it was is still something I regard as a bit of a nailbreaker. The thing with the that twin-blade though is that it's a really thick knife for something with just two blades. It's a real tank of a knife but it's the one I carry the least as I just think the pen blade just doesn't add that much to it.

x5Wykns.jpg

I've been watching our bird feeder for a couple of years now and I've come to the conclusion birds are cleverer than humans. :D

I always enjoy your libation shots. :)

I'm recovering today as I feel that yesterday at the Wolverhampton 44th Beer Festival I actually drank all the beer...:D
Xs0eodM.jpg

sK6pgP8.jpg

Which I then washed down with even more beer whilst waiting for the train in the Great Western pub.
FK7CzKO.jpg

RhYyVSm.jpg

Hope everyone has a great weekend lined up. :cool::thumbsup:
Totally agree donn, these local finches are fun little daredevils to watch:thumbsup:

Love the knife and the slip. Can you tell me if A Wright and Son still make that knife with the fluted bolster?
Bill, a release of Jacks so I'm uncertain of it's availability on a production level:(

Welcome to the Guardians Chuck, what a nice gift :) :thumbsup:

You may have Bill :) Might be some index entries on this topic :thumbsup:

Wright's do left-handed versions, quite unusual these days :thumbsup:

That is certainly the case with my Wright's two-blade John, the pull on the pen (more like a spear) is just silly. I have other two-blades where the pull is reasonable though. I always thought this would be my ideal knife, but I find the pen blade totally unnecessary with a Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

I couldn't agree more Dylan, well said :thumbsup:

LOL! :D Cool pic John :cool: I took this one for you earlier ;) :thumbsup:

b2uIsf3.jpg

They can be sweetened up Rachel, but I think the pen is probably a more useful addition to a Big 'Un, like this William Rodgers Charlie gifted me some years back :) :thumbsup:

OF9woxS.jpg

That's good you can pinch open all your Lambsfoot knives :) I do think a lot of it is just down to practice, I doubt I have particularly strong fingers (I haven't climbed for 20 years now or done a manual job for longer), but I've been pinching open knife blades since I was a kid, and have no problem pinching open my Lambsfoot blades. It's even easier with the candle-end models, such as the Hartshead Barlow :thumbsup:

The Lambsfoot Work-out! You heard it here first! :D :thumbsup:

Nice Vince :) :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

Thank you for relating that great story here Paul, your lucky ebony '18 doesn't look to have fared baddly, but I'm glad you have it back again :) :thumbsup:

I just knew we were related Paul, that sounds just like MY brother! :eek: :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Great pics Paul :) :thumbsup:

Great stuff :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, glad I didn't take any notice of our doom-laden weather forecast :rolleyes: Turned out to be a lovely sunny day :thumbsup:

Fantastic pic Dylan :) :thumbsup:

You too Kevin! :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Tell me about it mate, I'm struggling myself! :D Thanks for the kind words :) :thumbsup:

I had a link to a better site Dennis, but it is no longer there unfortunately. It was an excellent resource :thumbsup: Thank you very much my friend :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, we all need a moral compass ;) That's perfect Dennis, cool pic :) :thumbsup:

Looking good Dave :) :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack, he's a wonderful brother but lucky he is not, some "you reap what you sow" and just UNLUCKY in most every other aspect in life. I love him dearly even with the frustration I deal with in regards to his often times poor decision making:)

Looks interesting, Jack; considering a career change?? ;):thumbsup::cool:

Enjoyable ebony. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Phenomenal pair! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Mark. :) The Henderson's is OK, but I seem to want a little more "kick" to my seasonings in my old age. :rolleyes:
Quality shot of your lambsfoot quartet! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: If you ever have the time and inclination, I'd like to see a compare/contrast of the 2 ebony knives on the ends of your display. ;)

Another praiseworthy pic from your urban forest, Matt! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Legend of the Fall, Dwight! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

:D:thumbsup::thumbsup: I admire your and Jiki's fruit/vegetable whittling!

John and Vince, it's like you two had a stag HHB mind meld! ;):cool::cool:

Exquisite ebony, Ron! :eek::cool::cool:

Gonna have to ask my doctor about blood pressure meds to use when I look at this thread! :rolleyes: Gorgeous photo of an obsession-inducing knife, Glenn! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Breathtaking black stag, Dave! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Sensational, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dwight, your AC is Almost Camouflaged in that pic! :thumbsup:;):thumbsup:

Superb photo of an unforgettable knife, FBC! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Such an eye-catching photo, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: With the wear on the blade stamp, you could convince someone that you have one of the extremely rare "REAL LAMP BOOT" knives. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the lambsfoot, sir! :):cool::thumbsup: Horn handle?

What kind of time travel or holographic trickery are you pulling here, John?!? :cool::cool::thumbsup:;)

My Dutch immigrant grandfather tried to convince me this could be done as we brought in a newborn calf from the pasture when I was about 8 or 10. :rolleyes: I had no idea it was actually an ancient Greek legend about an athlete (who apparently knew Pythagoras)!

Fascinating story and splendid ebony lambsfoot, Paul; congrats on its return after all this time! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Magnificent knife, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Yet another irresistible photo of this stunning lambsfoot!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Terrific shot, Dennis! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for your impressive commentaries! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

Another shot of Union Jack on vacation last summer:
View attachment 1160876

- GT
Thanks Gary, I remember sharing some of the story before via pmo_O

Shoot, one of my multi quotes isn't here!

Back in my pocket today:)
npowbN.jpg

Last edited:
Another incredible shot, Preston!!
Also loved the mulies the other day!:cool::thumbsup:

Nice, John! Simply elegant!:):thumbsup:

Nice, Vince!! What a way to start the day!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Indeed!!
A terrific shot, Ron!!:eek::thumbsup:

Beautiful!! The background wood really sets off the lamb!:):thumbsup:

Very nice acquisition!:):thumbsup: Hard to beat 'em!:thumbsup:

:eek: I'm glad that one was seen! Incredible colors, Dave!;):thumbsup:

Great way to end the day, Jack! :):thumbsup: As long as they're not mean drunks!:D:thumbsup:

Man you take good photos, Dwight!:):thumbsup:

Great photo, a real hoot!!:cool::thumbsup: Lovely!

With that stag, you have the right to brag!! Nice, Vince!:cool::thumbsup:

A great looker, nice photo Ron!:cool::thumbsup:

A real dandy, Bill! Congratulations!:cool::thumbsup:

Cool, Jack! Handy in case you get a little lost!;):thumbsup: Got one similar I'll post.

Well, you're leaving your mark, Preston!:D Nice photo!!

Such in great condition, Harvey! Beautiful bone!:eek::thumbsup:

Great photo!:eek::thumbsup:
Your going down the rabbit hole now! It really is a great pattern!:thumbsup:

:) Nice photo, John! Wood elfs?:D

A Solid Saturday Selection, Vince!!;):thumbsup:

Hey, a Lego Lamb!:D:thumbsup:
Thanks for inserting a little levity!;)

Great story, Paul!:eek::thumbsup: Congratulations on your "new" Lambsfoot!:cool::thumbsup:

Lovely (Lucky?) Lamb!

Classic! Nice, Taylor!!:):thumbsup:

Another nice setup for youtyour photo, Dylan!:cool::thumbsup:

Awsome, FBC!! Hope you can get some playing or hammerin in!:cool::thumbsup:

:D:thumbsup:! I just had a '63 Dodge pickup with a 318.... and an old Honda 125 endura.:confused::D

Mine today.
Repurposing Jack's tin, I call it my "Jack in the box", for when Life and Lamb are at stake! Or if you're on the Lamb! :Do_O:rolleyes:
WQNUnnW.jpg
Ahhhh, here's my quote that slipped by!!! thanks Dennis and a great video from back when MTV actually played music video's:eek: I remember when cable TV came to our little town in 1980 and this was a great video back in the day (circa 1982):cool::thumbsup:

Also thanks for the inspiration for my photo today;):)

Good morning Guardians! :) It’s shaping up to be a double Lambsfoot day for me! I hope y’all have a great weekend! :D :thumbsup:

48220153551_8d6ebe78c1_b_d.jpg
I was just intending to carry this one today...

H63ENGx.jpg

But ended up pocketing Charlie Lamb too :D ;) :thumbsup:

QJFcSti.jpg
Dynamite double lambsfoots, Ron & Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Guardian groupthink going on? :rolleyes::D

OF9woxS.jpg

Thanks for the photos of 2-blade lambsfoot knives, David & Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Great picture, GT. :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks GT. Great pic of Union Jack. Rich and crisp.
Thanks, John and Dwight. :)

Thank you very much Gary :) I've never even looked at an Arabic dictionary, and imagine the translation service is a little weird. I spoke Arabic fluently when I was young, but that was a very long time ago, and now it's beyond broken! o_O :rolleyes: It was a pleasure to be able to assist a little GT, I hope you can come over to Yorkshire yourself sometime :) Great to see Union Jack with a little patina my friend :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack, for the interesting commentary. :) I thought I recalled that you had mentioned that you spoke Arabic years ago, so I thought I'd put an Arabic "thank you" in a comment to you.

You guys have ruined me. I see lamb feet everywhere! (note the non-parallel edges)

RW74Yhll.jpg

5K Qs 5K Qs Here ya go GT. My original post was supposed to be a pun (1 tip + 2 lamb tips). Then I realized I had 3 word tips in the photo. ;)

T32uJ60.jpg
Thanks for the "unobstructed hints", Mark. :thumbsup::cool::) Olive oil for a baseball glove is a new one for me; I've always been a neatsfoot oil guy. ;)

Thank you, Jack, :thumbsup: At least your breakfast had beans much better than my peanut butter and jam on toast. :p
Ambrosia, Dave! :thumbsup::D I had a special treat this morning. I toasted a couple slices of bread, put red raspberry jam on both, used Union Jack to cut each into 9 small pieces, and then used a fork to stab toast pieces and wipe them around inside an "empty" peanut butter jar to get the very last of the peanut butter out! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Extraordinary, Taylor! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gary your Union Jack has some nice grain on its pile side! :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Ron. :) The mark side also has distinctive stripes. That was one of the first things I noticed about the knife, and led to my naming it Union Jack (with both horizontal and diagonal stripes).

Cough, cough...That's a "M"... ;):D
It is looking like UJ is seeing it's fair share of work. :thumbsup:

I'm off to eat some breakfast and try to get goin' .....yeah, I know it is almost noon. :rolleyes::D
48268975926_053568ef99_b.jpg
OK, "M"; I often don't know which way is up. :rolleyes:
When Union Jack is not scheduled for pocket carry, he's on the kitchen counter, so he cuts lots of fruits/vegetables.
Good to see your 2017 horn Guardians lambsfoot; looks great! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (I'm reading a novel in which a couple of robots are major characters, while you actually live with them! ;))

A stored special, it's time for this Lambsfoot to go for a ride!! Too lonesome as a "Safe Queen"!!!! Off we go!!View attachment 1160808 View attachment 1160809
I think you'll like that Ashley's Choice stag lambsfoot, Charlie! :cool::cool::thumbsup: I sure like mine! :)

Thank you, Sir. A rather spiffy looking, Union Jack.
Thanks, Harvey. :)

I AM half-Vulcan, you know.

Live long and prosper!
That would explain it, Vince! :D
Peace and Long Life!

Yes sir it is horn, quite nice. Today is the first day that I carried it, the pull on it is quit heavy hope it gets better with use.
Thanks for the info. :) I hope you get used to the stiffer than average pull most lambsfoot knives seem to have.

I take it you didn't fall for it? And yet, after all these years, you find yourself adding a knife or two to each week's carry. Soon you'll be able to lift a steel girder.

Indeed it is. I even took it out for a junk food snack this afternoon. :D
SoxbHJ9.jpg

(hey, everyone! They are giving away a A.W.&.S at A&W's!) :p
Your knife analogy is a good one! :D:thumbsup:
Good try to catch us off guard with your little schemes by running them in the off-season, but I still didn't fall for it! :p

View attachment 1160963 Nice pictures today folks! Here's mine helping me in the yard today. Cheers!
Ben
That blond horn gets me every time, Ben! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Ambrosia, Dave! :thumbsup::D I had a special treat this morning. I toasted a couple slices of bread, put red raspberry jam on both, used Union Jack to cut each into 9 small pieces, and then used a fork to stab toast pieces and wipe them around inside an "empty" peanut butter jar to get the very last of the peanut butter out! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
Wow! I never woulda thunk of that. Nine equal slices, like making a tic-tac-toe grid?
That would explain it, Vince! :D
Peace and Long Life!
77A43DCC-674C-4CBB-BD2D-D765FAB47237.jpeg

GT Your a man of intelligence charm and whit :thumbsup: I could just about agree with you that peanut butter is of the gods. ;) As I have claimed before its SPAM that's the Ambrosia for mankind. :p:D

Back