1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I always worry about someone slamming the door on me.
    More stars in your heavenly crown for not keeping score.

Speaking of which, it looks like Grantchester has gotten rid of the loathesomest protagonist I've ever been asked to care about. Sydney's going to America.
    "Oh, how could Amanda marry a rich guy who loves her, when I've always accepted her gifts and refused to put out?"
    "Oh, vestry meeting? I can't do what they pay me for; I'm busy hounding someone to the gallows."
    "Oh, I hounded someone to the gallows, but it's Geordie's fault there's a death penalty."
    "Oh, I couldn't help cheating on Amanda with that strange woman. She was a jazz afficionado!"
    "Oh, I hate myself." At least he got one thing right.

And, the bounding cad never carried a lambsfoot.

I guess I have to admit I watched it, though.

donn, pjsjr, cigarrodog and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    What a great piece, Greg, I really enjoyed reading that! Thanks for putting it together, and I look forward to any other posts you’ll write in that same vein.

Great pics Jack. That Gilpin hatchet looks like a rare find. Many of the old axes you find here have mushroomed polls and flared eyes from sledging fenceposts.:eek:

Thanks Dwight, I like the way the damascus ‘raindrop’ patterning echoes the rippled water. An exceptional photo, my friend.:):thumbsup:

Any drugstore should have Potassium Permanganate crystals Jeff. It’s also known as Condy’s Crystals. It’s commonly used as a wound disinfectant. It’s actually also very useful to keep in survival kits. A teaspoon of PP crystals and the same quantity of glycerin or antifreeze will chemically react to start a fire. A very small amount will also reliably sterilise water for drinking.:thumbsup:

Thanks Dennis! I agree, they really are stunning knives.:cool:

Definitely my friend. Three is two, two is one...

Ah but I’d be heartbroken to lose any of my Preciousessss!;):D

Thanks my friend. Now that David @donn has got me onto those delicious pork pies, I’m going to have to try out those Cornish Pasties next time!:thumbsup:

Ok, thanks for the waiver, Jack - I’m going to have to start this recipe off with a couple of disclaimers.

Firstly, the Lambsfoot pics are for illustration only, and may not represent this actual recipe!

Secondly, if you are familar with traditional North African harissa, this is not that, but my own modified version.

I can however vouch for the fact that a Lambsfoot knife works well to prep the ingredients and the end product is absolutely delicious as a sauce, dip or marinade for meat or vegetables. (The harissa itself is vegetarian.)

‘Chillies’ are the same as what are called ‘Peppers’ in the US. Don’t get hung up on acquiring the exact same chilli peppers, just use whatever you have available in your area and whatever quantity takes you to the heat level you are comfortable with. Dried or fresh are both fine, the only proviso being they should be red in colour.

The green herbs are optional. Mint would be traditional in North Africa, but I quite like a little coriander/cilantro. I like to see some small green specks suspended in each spoonful of harissa, but you can leave it out if you want the harissa to last longer.

[​IMG]

Chin's Harissa

12 dried red Kashmiri chillies
    6 fresh red Thai chillies
    6-10 garlic cloves
    1 small onion
    1 tbs cumin seeds
    1 tbs coriander/cilantro seed
    1 tbs caraway seed
    1 tsp sweet paprika
    1 tsp vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
    1/2 cup good quality olive oil
    Fresh mint or parsley or coriander/cilantro
    Juice of 1 lemon and some zest of same.
    6 cherry tomatoes or 1 tbs tomato paste
    Salt
    Optional - 1 red capsicum/red bell pepper for a milder blend

Cover dried chillies with just boiled water and soak in the cooling liquid for about 20 minutes.

Toast coriander seeds, cumin, caraway seeds in a pan on medium to low heat (preferably cast iron).

Grind toasted spices with mortar and pestle.

Add spices, soaked red chillis, fresh chillis, garlic, onion, green herbs, olive oil, salt and lemon juice/lemon zest to blender.

Blend until smooth.

Enjoy!:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Looks like a Baker's Dozen to me. ;)

Ramrodmb, dc50, cigarrodog and 2 others like this.
  4. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    You are correct, sir! I swear I counted 10 times and would loose track eveey time!:mad: but it was late:confused::rolleyes:

Cambertree, Ramrodmb, dc50 and 2 others like this.
  5. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Such things are just not done Jack. ;)

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  6. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    Looks like a beautiful morning in your neighborhood! Great grain showing up on your lamb!:cool::thumbsup:
    Well thank you Jack! Your generosity will not be forgotten my friend!:eek::thumbsup:
    Glad it wasn't in your vicinity, Dave!:eek: Stay safe up there! I hate tornado season!:mad::thumbsdown:, and the hail is so destructive!
    Great photo of the Black Prince, Dave!:cool::thumbsup:
    Very cool photo this morning! :thumbsup:
    It does get confusing! We also call them chili peppers to clarify the chili pods as opposed to the meal Chili con carne. And it's getting close to harvesting time here!:D:thumbsup:
    Love to grind up some coriander, coffee and chilies for a flank steak marinade!:cool::thumbsup:
    Thank you very much for posting your recipe, and Jack for the ok to do so!!:):thumbsup:

TFBraden, pjsjr, dc50 and 5 others like this.
  7. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    ...and great lamb posts!:D:thumbsup:
    Enjoy!:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Hairy Clipper, donn, pjsjr and 11 others like this.
  8. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Thank you kindly, Bill! Hope you have yourself a fine Sunday today then too!:thumbsup:

Enjoy the rain showers, Dwight and what a great photo of your Ironwoods!:cool:

Thanks Paul. The steaks look grand and your Ebony even better!!:thumbsup:

@Jack Black - loved the pics of the 3 you sharpened up.
    @WhittlinAway- enjoyed your story, Greg, and look forward to more. Beautiful Horn!:cool:
    @cigarrodog- thanks Harvey, you're too kind. I would love to see a group shot of your older Lambfoots!:)
    @dc50- Thanks alot, Dave! Appreciate your nice words, sir.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice and directions, Chin.:thumbsup: I have used a similar strategy to spruce up some Stag handles in the past and it worked very well. Loved the pictures of your and Cudgee's Waynorth Lambs, especially the one with your boomstick and snaps from your hike (also the pies);)

Looks like a fine time, John! I absolutely LOVE a weekend getaway with the wifey. Enjoy it thoroughly, we'll be right here when you return.:)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm a man of means by no means. Bomp, bomp.... King of the Road.:D

Thank you Dennis, my friend. Love that Blonde horn!:D

Cool pic, Dave! The Black Prince is very dapper. Lay low when those twisters come through, buddy.:eek:

Chin, fascinating post my friend! Thanks so much for sharing your Harissa recipe! It sounds delightful and offers many opportunities to use that lovely Lambfoot blade.
    The colors of the vegetables and the beauty of your Lambfoots come together for some wonderful images.:thumbsup:
    Potassium Permanganate is a fascinating substance and a very useful piece of "kit" as you eluded to. I carry some and have used it for most of those things you mentioned. I've not found the need to use as a wound dressing, yet (thank goodness), but water purification AND a fire starter in one lightweight powder?! What could be better?;):D
    I quit smoking with the help of an e-cig, 5 years ago, so I happen to routinely have the glycerin with me as well.:eek:

Now, to go back through and find the quotes that were lost...:mad:

mitch4ging, TFBraden, dc50 and 7 others like this.
  9. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Love my Ironwood.:)

[​IMG]

10. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I never tire of looking at photos of beautiful knives.

11. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    Great pic!

12. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Good Morning all...
    Had to cut out a big mud wasp nest from the from landing of the house. Man, were those little buggers ticked off! But the Hartshead made short work of it along with some spray cleaner and I made it out of there unscathed.

IMG_1253.JPG

[​IMG]

13. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    Good morning Guardians! Lots of great posts to catch up on this morning! :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

14. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Good Morning Guardians
    Spent the first hour of the morning fishing a little creek. Caught a ton of really small fish.
    I will hunt down some bigger fish this evening...But the little guys were a ton of fun to catch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, donn, Pt-Luso and 21 others like this.
  15. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Hang onto your hat my friend! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D Nice TEW Jer :thumbsup:

mitch4ging, dc50 and cigarrodog like this.
  16. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks. I did a less bad job of cropping its nose than I thought at the time. Only about 1/8", I think.

Jack Black and cigarrodog like this.
  17. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thank you Dennis! :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack! Have a great day my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Beautiful Ironwood José! :) :thumbsup:

@Cambertree Thanks for the recipe Chin! :thumbsup: :)

Good morning Guardians! I do believe that everything is coming up Rosie this morning! :thumbsup: :)

[​IMG]

18. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    John I'm jealous! :p Great photos and what a beautiful stream. Enjoy your visit my friend! :D :thumbsup:

mitch4ging, dc50, Jack Black and 2 others like this.
  19. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Do you have a walk-in vault? :eek:

:thumbsup:

Jack Black, JohnDF and cigarrodog like this.
  20. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Good morning, Guardians!
    [​IMG]