Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Having your own walk-in vault would be awesome!
I always worry about someone slamming the door on me.
My memory is like a sieve Harvey! :D :thumbsup:
More stars in your heavenly crown for not keeping score.

Speaking of which, it looks like Grantchester has gotten rid of the loathesomest protagonist I've ever been asked to care about. Sydney's going to America.
"Oh, how could Amanda marry a rich guy who loves her, when I've always accepted her gifts and refused to put out?"
"Oh, vestry meeting? I can't do what they pay me for; I'm busy hounding someone to the gallows."
"Oh, I hounded someone to the gallows, but it's Geordie's fault there's a death penalty."
"Oh, I couldn't help cheating on Amanda with that strange woman. She was a jazz afficionado!"
"Oh, I hate myself." At least he got one thing right.

And, the bounding cad never carried a lambsfoot.

I guess I have to admit I watched it, though.

July 2047, Yorkshire, England

The patrons nodded to the elderly gentleman as he entered the pub, removed his flat cap, and sat himself at his favorite seat at the bar. He ordered a pint of Real Ale and chatted with the young bartender as she pulled his Bitter from the cask. She was new here, having arrived from the US only a few weeks prior. But she and the old man had already struck up a friendship; she enjoying his stories and he appreciating her interest in the area’s history.

The man settled in with his pint and the daily paper. Around page three he noticed the young woman was struggling to make progress cutting up a pile of limes while also tending to the steady arrival of thirsty patrons and their drink orders.

“Hand them over here and I’ll help.”

“What?”

“The limes. Give them to me and I’ll help you catch up.”

“Oh! Thank you. Here you go.”

After pushing over the cutting board and bag of limes she began to pass him the knife. Casually waving it off, he said “thank you, but no need: I’ve brought my own.” He carefully withdrew a modest-sized folding knife from his right front pocket, opened it, and reached for a lime.

“This should be interesting,” she thought. But, before she could watch, a group of customers burst through the door and headed directly to the bar to place their order. Pints and chip butties for the lot. Frankly, she didn’t understand the appeal of the sandwiches, but they certainly were popular.

Returning her attention to the man, she was surprised to see a stack of neatly-cut lime wedges arranged on the cutting board. He was wiping the blade clean with a napkin, preparing to return the knife to his pocket.

“Wow! That must be quite a knife! What kind is it?”

“It is indeed. It’s called a lambsfoot. It’s my favorite style. This one is particularly special. It’s from a batch I had made thirty years ago.”

“Lambsfoot? Neat! I think it’s called a sheepsfoot in America. I love learning these regional differences in language.”

The man smiled at that.

“We call a sheepsfoot a sheepsfoot here, too, but a lambsfoot is different. Notice how the blade tapers as it gets towards to tip? That’s the defining characteristic. The spine of a sheepsfoot blade is parallel to the edge all the way down. It may seem like a small point, but, believe me, it makes a big difference.”

“I don’t know. Thirty years is a lot of use. How do I know it didn’t start out parallel and then get that taper as you sharpened it over the years?”

“Ah. Clever! You’ve got good wits about you. But, think about it: if that were the case the edge would trend up to the spine, but here the spine trends down to the tip.”

“Oh. Good point. Hmm.”

He deftly rotated the still-open knife in his hand so that he could present it to her handle-first. “Here, you don’t have to take my word for it. Take a look for yourself.”

She was puzzled at first, but then a smile appeared on her face just as she let out a good laugh.

“Real Lamb Foot! OK, Jack, you win! I’m sorry for doubting. Let me buy you a pint and you can tell me more about it.”

“Thank you. I’d love that, but it’ll have to wait until next time. I’m off to Sheffield in the morning and have some things to attend to first.”

With that, the man stood up from his seat, grabbed his hat, waved goodbye to the other patrons, and headed to the door.

“Real Lamb Foot. Who would have thought...” the bartender muttered to herself. She was going to have to find out more.

j8Xc1yDh.jpg

To be continued.

What a great piece, Greg, I really enjoyed reading that! Thanks for putting it together, and I look forward to any other posts you’ll write in that same vein.

Hope everyone has had superb weekend :) Think I'm going to start off the week with these two :) :thumbsup:

Deb9kV1.jpg

vD6UpTH.jpg
Great pics Jack. That Gilpin hatchet looks like a rare find. Many of the old axes you find here have mushroomed polls and flared eyes from sledging fenceposts.:eek:

Thanks Dwight, I like the way the damascus ‘raindrop’ patterning echoes the rippled water. An exceptional photo, my friend.:):thumbsup:

Thanks for the details, Chin, I intend to do it. Now I just gotta find the PP.

Any drugstore should have Potassium Permanganate crystals Jeff. It’s also known as Condy’s Crystals. It’s commonly used as a wound disinfectant. It’s actually also very useful to keep in survival kits. A teaspoon of PP crystals and the same quantity of glycerin or antifreeze will chemically react to start a fire. A very small amount will also reliably sterilise water for drinking.:thumbsup:

Great photo of a wonderful pair of aces, Chin!:):thumbsup:

Thanks Dennis! I agree, they really are stunning knives.:cool:

"What does it have in it's pocketses":p:thumbsup:
At least you have a backup just in case while up there! Handsome foto, Chin!:thumbsup:

Definitely my friend. Three is two, two is one...

Ah but I’d be heartbroken to lose any of my Preciousessss!;):D

A cracking post, full of great information and fantastic photos, as always, my friend :) I love the title 'Victorian Sausage King'! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks my friend. Now that David @donn has got me onto those delicious pork pies, I’m going to have to try out those Cornish Pasties next time!:thumbsup:

NCIEdveh.jpg

Lambsfoot meets lamb kofta kebab. I didn’t have any harissa, so sambal had to do. :)
Feel free to make that public if you want mate ;) :D :thumbsup:
And, yes, please! I'd love to have your recipe for harissa.

Ok, thanks for the waiver, Jack - I’m going to have to start this recipe off with a couple of disclaimers.

Firstly, the Lambsfoot pics are for illustration only, and may not represent this actual recipe!

Secondly, if you are familar with traditional North African harissa, this is not that, but my own modified version.

I can however vouch for the fact that a Lambsfoot knife works well to prep the ingredients and the end product is absolutely delicious as a sauce, dip or marinade for meat or vegetables. (The harissa itself is vegetarian.)

‘Chillies’ are the same as what are called ‘Peppers’ in the US. Don’t get hung up on acquiring the exact same chilli peppers, just use whatever you have available in your area and whatever quantity takes you to the heat level you are comfortable with. Dried or fresh are both fine, the only proviso being they should be red in colour.

The green herbs are optional. Mint would be traditional in North Africa, but I quite like a little coriander/cilantro. I like to see some small green specks suspended in each spoonful of harissa, but you can leave it out if you want the harissa to last longer.

32XlDwh.jpg

Chin's Harissa

12 dried red Kashmiri chillies
6 fresh red Thai chillies
6-10 garlic cloves
1 small onion
1 tbs cumin seeds
1 tbs coriander/cilantro seed
1 tbs caraway seed
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
1/2 cup good quality olive oil
Fresh mint or parsley or coriander/cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon and some zest of same.
6 cherry tomatoes or 1 tbs tomato paste
Salt
Optional - 1 red capsicum/red bell pepper for a milder blend

Cover dried chillies with just boiled water and soak in the cooling liquid for about 20 minutes.

Toast coriander seeds, cumin, caraway seeds in a pan on medium to low heat (preferably cast iron).

Grind toasted spices with mortar and pestle.

Add spices, soaked red chillis, fresh chillis, garlic, onion, green herbs, olive oil, salt and lemon juice/lemon zest to blender.

Blend until smooth.

Enjoy!:)

YpU1Pqz.jpg

9yJSRLS.jpg

Good morning and good week to all the Guardians.:):thumbsup:

15dn9yc.jpg
Looks like a beautiful morning in your neighborhood! Great grain showing up on your lamb!:cool::thumbsup:
It took me a while to find the 'safe place' where I had put it, but I found your compass, and it will be on its way to you soon
Well thank you Jack! Your generosity will not be forgotten my friend!:eek::thumbsup:
Good Morning! Yesterday afternoon we had a Tornado warning, it came down North of us 30 miles away. The tornado missed the local town it was near, it was the hail that came with it, that flattened a large area of crops, estimated to be in the millions damage.
Todays Lambsfoot is the Black Prince :D have a great day Guardians.
View attachment 1161740
Glad it wasn't in your vicinity, Dave!:eek: Stay safe up there! I hate tornado season!:mad::thumbsdown:, and the hail is so destructive!
Great photo of the Black Prince, Dave!:cool::thumbsup:
Such priorities!:D
wGBMyPN.jpg
wGBMyPN.jpg
Very cool photo this morning! :thumbsup:
‘Chillies’ are the same as what are called ‘Peppers’ in the US.
It does get confusing! We also call them chili peppers to clarify the chili pods as opposed to the meal Chili con carne. And it's getting close to harvesting time here!:D:thumbsup:
but I quite like a little coriander/cilantro
Love to grind up some coriander, coffee and chilies for a flank steak marinade!:cool::thumbsup:
Thank you very much for posting your recipe, and Jack for the ok to do so!!:):thumbsup:

Very nice picture Mark. Being retired as I am, I'm happy to say every day is Sunday! Have an awesome Sunday.

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg
Thank you kindly, Bill! Hope you have yourself a fine Sunday today then too!:thumbsup:

Beautiful pic Dave. Lovely composition.

Thank you Dennis.

Great pic!

Thank you Mark. Fantastic lamb duo. Yes, Dave's English pub coverage is one of my favorites! :cool:

Have a great time communing with the mountains and streams my friend.

Good morning, afternoon and evening all. Three days of rain on the way. I LOVE IT. :DView attachment 1161189
Enjoy the rain showers, Dwight and what a great photo of your Ironwoods!:cool:

Stellar Duo Mark:thumbsup:

Great duo as well Dwight:cool:

Awesome pic Ron, is there a Pam influence there;):thumbsup:

Great read Greg and love the diversity in the horn:cool:

Thanks David, great Stag on your HHB:cool::thumbsup:
Porterhouse for Nanc (yep, her's is bigger):eek::D and ribeye for me:thumbsup: I won a Traeger last summer, but just can't part with this old Char Broil:oops:
Ebony worked fantastic to check medium rare:thumbsup:
52ACdX.jpg

JusDMw.jpg

zTkVYT.jpg
Thanks Paul. The steaks look grand and your Ebony even better!!:thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - loved the pics of the 3 you sharpened up.
@WhittlinAway- enjoyed your story, Greg, and look forward to more. Beautiful Horn!:cool:
@cigarrodog- thanks Harvey, you're too kind. I would love to see a group shot of your older Lambfoots!:)
@dc50- Thanks alot, Dave! Appreciate your nice words, sir.:thumbsup:

Hello Guardians!

Yes, a Potassium Permanganate solution would be my suggestion, gents. I often use it, applied with a fine artists paintbrush to ‘liven up’ a piece of dull stag or bone. I brush it on as if ‘shading’ the grooves, then leave it for a minute or two, and wipe off with tissue paper, then polish with a piece of buffing compound loaded scrap leather. PM me for details if you like. Also bear in mind that so called ‘natural stag’ antler has often already had that treatment applied to it before it has been sold to knifemakers. (But make sure the paintbrush is no longer used, as the PP solution will chew up and disintegrate the bristles.)
Thanks for the advice and directions, Chin.:thumbsup: I have used a similar strategy to spruce up some Stag handles in the past and it worked very well. Loved the pictures of your and Cudgee's Waynorth Lambs, especially the one with your boomstick and snaps from your hike (also the pies);)

I'll try to catch a photo of the worker's vault. It's huge and has thousands of non-locking safety deposit boxes. It's very cool.

Edit:
I found a picture of it on-line. Just think of the knife collection you could have stored here? :cool: :thumbsup:

Looks like a fine time, John! I absolutely LOVE a weekend getaway with the wifey. Enjoy it thoroughly, we'll be right here when you return.:)

..............Thank you very much, Mark!:cool::thumbsup:

Fantastic Foto's, Mark!:eek::thumbsup:...........
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

.......I smoke old stogies I have found, short but not too big around...:D:thumbsup:
I'm a man of means by no means. Bomp, bomp.... King of the Road.:D

My biggestes compass!:D
Dhx1RbP.jpg
Thank you Dennis, my friend. Love that Blonde horn!:D

Good Morning! Yesterday afternoon we had a Tornado warning, it came down North of us 30 miles away. The tornado missed the local town it was near, it was the hail that came with it, that flattened a large area of crops, estimated to be in the millions damage.
Todays Lambsfoot is the Black Prince :D have a great day Guardians.
View attachment 1161740
Cool pic, Dave! The Black Prince is very dapper. Lay low when those twisters come through, buddy.:eek:

Any drugstore should have Potassium Permanganate crystals Jeff. It’s also known as Condy’s Crystals. It’s commonly used as a wound disinfectant. It’s actually also very useful to keep in survival kits. A teaspoon of PP crystals and the same quantity of glycerin or antifreeze will chemically react to start a fire. A very small amount will also reliably sterilise water for drinking.:thumbsup:

Ok, thanks for the waiver, Jack - I’m going to have to start this recipe off with a couple of disclaimers.

Firstly, the Lambsfoot pics are for illustration only, and may not represent this actual recipe!

Secondly, if you are familar with traditional North African harissa, this is not that, but my own modified version.

I can however vouch for the fact that a Lambsfoot knife works well to prep the ingredients and the end product is absolutely delicious as a sauce, dip or marinade for meat or vegetables. (The harissa itself is vegetarian.)

‘Chillies’ are the same as what are called ‘Peppers’ in the US. Don’t get hung up on acquiring the exact same chilli peppers, just use whatever you have available in your area and whatever quantity takes you to the heat level you are comfortable with. Dried or fresh are both fine, the only proviso being they should be red in colour.

The green herbs are optional. Mint would be traditional in North Africa, but I quite like a little coriander/cilantro. I like to see some small green specks suspended in each spoonful of harissa, but you can leave it out if you want the harissa to last longer.

32XlDwh.jpg

Chin's Harissa

12 dried red Kashmiri chillies
6 fresh red Thai chillies
6-10 garlic cloves
1 small onion
1 tbs cumin seeds
1 tbs coriander/cilantro seed
1 tbs caraway seed
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
1/2 cup good quality olive oil
Fresh mint or parsley or coriander/cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon and some zest of same.
6 cherry tomatoes or 1 tbs tomato paste
Salt
Optional - 1 red capsicum/red bell pepper for a milder blend

Cover dried chillies with just boiled water and soak in the cooling liquid for about 20 minutes.

Toast coriander seeds, cumin, caraway seeds in a pan on medium to low heat (preferably cast iron).

Grind toasted spices with mortar and pestle.

Add spices, soaked red chillis, fresh chillis, garlic, onion, green herbs, olive oil, salt and lemon juice/lemon zest to blender.

Blend until smooth.

Enjoy!:)

YpU1Pqz.jpg

9yJSRLS.jpg
Chin, fascinating post my friend! Thanks so much for sharing your Harissa recipe! It sounds delightful and offers many opportunities to use that lovely Lambfoot blade.
The colors of the vegetables and the beauty of your Lambfoots come together for some wonderful images.:thumbsup:
Potassium Permanganate is a fascinating substance and a very useful piece of "kit" as you eluded to. I carry some and have used it for most of those things you mentioned. I've not found the need to use as a wound dressing, yet (thank goodness), but water purification AND a fire starter in one lightweight powder?! What could be better?;):D
I quit smoking with the help of an e-cig, 5 years ago, so I happen to routinely have the glycerin with me as well.:eek:

Now, to go back through and find the quotes that were lost...:mad:

Good Morning Guardians
Spent the first hour of the morning fishing a little creek. Caught a ton of really small fish.
I will hunt down some bigger fish this evening...But the little guys were a ton of fun to catch.

Back