1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Jer :D Unfortunately, I have gifted folks the same thing more than once due to my poor memory :rolleyes:

Thanks pal, the Gilpin was given to me [email protected], who not only cleaned and polished it, but re-hafted it :) He also made me a small leather mask to protect the edge :thumbsup: I come across quite a lot of axes and hatchets myself (including a larger Gilpin at the weekend, but that was in an antiques centre, and it was expensive), and have gifted most of them to friends and neighbours. I see a lot with mushroomed polls too though :(

But definitely keep it away from nitric acid! :eek: :thumbsup:

I do love an oggie :) :thumbsup:

I'm definitely saving your recipe Chin, it looks marvellous :) Fantastic Lambsfoot content too ;) :thumbsup:

Hmmm...:rolleyes:

It's packaged up, and will be on its way soon Dennis :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Mark, excellent pic of your '19 :) :thumbsup:

Sounds like you make a great team Bill :) :thumbsup:

Great pic :) :thumbsup:

Glad you're having a great time John, thanks for taking us along :) :thumbsup:

mitch4ging, TFBraden, pjsjr and 8 others like this.
  2. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Ron, you too my friend :) Great pic of your Hartshead Barlow :thumbsup:

Cool pic Vince :D :thumbsup:

TFBraden, Ramrodmb, dc50 and 3 others like this.
  3. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I live in a walk-in vault! Imagine the state of my nerves.

Actually, the only walk-in vault I have much to do with is at an antique mall. That vendor would need to have some pretty cool knives to induce me to step over the threshold.

pjsjr, dc50, Cambertree and 3 others like this.
  4. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    :D Tis true... tis true... :D

Thanks brother!

Ain't it so... :D

What a beauty! Jack is this the knife Rob acquired?

Thank you Jack.

Dave I think the fire ants, the armadillos and the tornados are all slowly migrating north.

Thank you Chin. :) Love the recipe you shared!

Thank you Mark. :)

IMG_3993.jpeg

5. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    It is indeed Dwight, if you remember he sent it over here for a month :) Great pic of your Waynorth :) :thumbsup:

Fodderwing, Ramrodmb, dc50 and 2 others like this.
  6. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Thank you, Jack. My Guardian Friends are always with me as long as I'm totin' a Lambsfoot. :)

Ramrodmb, Prester John, dc50 and 3 others like this.
  7. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @mitch4ging Thank you Dennis. Anything worn that is comfortable, is something I would be loath to discard. Your biggest compass image is a fine one.

@Jack Black Thank you Jack. That older two bladed Lamb Image is rip roaring nice. That older TEW double bladed Barlow is a honey.

@dc50 So glad you’re safe Dave. Always a pleasure seeing your Guardian Ebony.

@Cambertree If you wrote a Bog, I would subscribe to it. Very enjoyable. As there are so many beautiful Lambsfoot knives, so are there some vey fine writers here.

That image with the Lambsfoot on top of the veggies is brilliant.

@Ramrodmb I will do so as soon as possible. Thank you for asking, Mark. Great look at your Ironwood Lambsfoot.

@JohnDF enjoyed seeing a bit of your fishing exploits, John.

@Prester John Loved your humerous Lambsfoot and Man’s best friend image, Vince.

@Foddering your Waynorth image is a fine one, Dwight.

God Morning Guardians.
    0F21CFEC-69D7-4437-A405-D90A37387AFE.jpeg

8. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Very true brother :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Harvey, you just reminded me, I need to dig it out and take a comparison pic with my Hartshead Barlow :) I think Rob managed to find a second model too, great finds :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

@Cambertree very kindly brought me this superb book from Australia :) :thumbsup:

Scrumptious pic Harvey! :) :thumbsup:

glennbad, mitch4ging, donn and 14 others like this.
  9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Another look at the two I'm carrying today :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    @Jack Black Thank you Jack. Lovely trio of Lambsfoot knives.

dc50, JohnDF and Jack Black like this.
  11. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thank you Jack! :)

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Not much in the width, but the Needham is definitely weightier than the Hartshead :eek: It's a great knife though I think, and a very generous gift from my friend @Campbellclanman :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plenty of good Sheffield steel there :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

13. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Harvey :) :thumbsup:

cigarrodog likes this.
  14. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Thanks, Harvey. A police dog sitting on my desk.

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  15. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Thank you, Harvey. :)

cigarrodog likes this.
  16. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Thanks, Dennis it used to be just hail, now for added exciment, they throw in the odd twister.:eek:
    Thank you, my friend, we sure will :D
    Will do Jack,:thumbsup::p
    Rosie that's the sign of a positive day Ron. :thumbsup:;)
    You could be right Dwight,even Canada Customs can't stop them at the border.:p
    Thank you kindly Harvey,:D

17. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Question @Jack Black - Given how easy it is to hone these various lambsfoot knives, do you maximize their sharpness or simply maintain the bevels they originally came with?

Cambertree likes this.
  18. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Chin, thank you for the kind words and most especially for the mouth watering recipe and accompanying photos. I'll be trying it out soon!

I owe you (and others) some other replies. I hope to get to that today. In the meantime I hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

19. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Yes it is Dave! I hope you have one too my friend! :)

dc50, cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    It depends Christian. The factory edges aren't bad at Wright's these days, and they tend to be ground even, but some prefer less steel behind the edge. On the advice of @Cambertree and @WhittlinAway I reprofiled my Rosewood Big 'Un to 15 DPS, and it certainly works OK, but those guys use their knives a lot harder than I do these days. I also think that I'm less obsessed with the sharpness of my knives than I was a few years ago, when I wouldn't have dreamed of carrying a trad knife without first sharpening it to shaving sharp. Of course I also have a lot more knives to take care of! :D These days, so long as a new knife is sharp, I'm happy to carry it for a while before putting a better edge on it. Most of my knives I sharpen at 20 DPS or thereabouts, and that really works OK for me. I've had LF knives from other manufacturers in the past, which I've re-profiled because I wasn't happy with the grind. It's certainly a lot easier to do with a straight-edged blade than one with some belly :thumbsup:

Cambertree, mitch4ging, donn and 13 others like this.