Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Pictures on the Guardians thread are always wonderful, but some on the last page were just fantastic. Great pictures as usual from tmd_87, Ramrodmb, and black mamba.
But the TEW picture from Jack brought back such good memories, flatblackcapo's Lambsfoot sitting on the V.W. brought a big smile to my face, and the gardening and Lambsfoot pictures from Padruig were just superb.
Thanks for so many great pictures everyone!!!

I carried this one on my hike today.
OnOn4av.jpg

In total agreement with you Dennis in regards to Charcoal, although I make a mean steak with propane:thumbsup: it was 92° yesterday with 86° humidity so the propane won out in regards to prep time;) my well seasoned grill almost eliminates any rub at all:thumbsup::D
Carried the Waynorth Cutlery today:thumbsup:
D0HONK.jpg

Nice shot, Paul! I can smell the steaks!:cool::thumbsup: We still use our charcoal grill (no propane!), and we bought a Traeger a couple of years ago, they are great! Fast as a propane, but better flavor!:thumbsup:

In total agreement with you Dennis in regards to Charcoal, although I make a mean steak with propane:thumbsup: it was 92° yesterday with 86° humidity so the propane won out in regards to prep time;) my well seasoned grill almost eliminates any rub at all:thumbsup::D
Carried the Waynorth Cutlery today:thumbsup:
D0HONK.jpg
Wow that Waynorth Cutlery is sure a beauty Paul !
Really love that jigging to :thumbsup:

It is indeed Dwight, if you remember he sent it over here for a month :) Great pic of your Waynorth
Thanks Jack.

@Foddering your Waynorth image is a fine one, Dwight.
Thanks Harvey.

You could be right Dwight,even Canada Customs can't stop them at the border
:D

Thanks for the heads up. You're the first one to mention that though.
Same here Christian. I too use the "dark format" which rendered your post all black. Just be aware of the effect.

Good Monday Guardians, busy today with a dental appt. and a bit of dog training. Training, again, tomorrow and will have Rosie with me, will try and get some pictures of the dogs and grounds.
IMG_1246.JPG

Had a nice drive up to McCloud through the mountains. Beautiful evening, took a walk around town and had a nice dinner. Drove out to check the river, now back at the hotel. I won't be on here too much in the next couple of days, so you'll have to excuse my limited "Quote and Respond."

The Hotel

The River

The Lamb
Enjoy your stay and visit, John, your absence and excuse certainly won't be hard to understand...just a bit of jealousy;)
Well, I'm about two (probably closer to three) weeks late posting both of these beauties, but hey... better late than never! o_O :D

TjOL3vt.jpg

I love the blade etch on both of these. The "REAL LAMBFOOT KNIFE" is simple and traditional, and the Hartshead Barlow etch is absolutely beautiful! :thumbsup:

EoYuNVv.jpg

I thought this was a particularly nice touch on Charlie's Lambsfoot. :cool:

RepOin8.jpg

To Jack Black Jack Black , @waynorth and the folks at Wright's and GEC -- well done all around! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Glad you got them, Barrett, they are special as are all the lambs from Jack's SFOs.
Hello Guardians!

Yes, a Potassium Permanganate solution would be my suggestion, gents. I often use it, applied with a fine artists paintbrush to ‘liven up’ a piece of dull stag or bone. I brush it on as if ‘shading’ the grooves, then leave it for a minute or two, and wipe off with tissue paper, then polish with a piece of buffing compound loaded scrap leather. PM me for details if you like. Also bear in mind that so called ‘natural stag’ antler has often already had that treatment applied to it before it has been sold to knifemakers. (But make sure the paintbrush is no longer used, as the PP solution will chew up and disintegrate the bristles.)

Yes, that’s the best approach to have, I think, Rachel.:thumbsup:

Cheers Dwight!:)

Thank you kindly, Preston!:thumbsup:

Thanks Jack - no worries at all, I’m glad to see you out and about, my friend.:)

Thanks GT. OK, far be it from me to keep you in suspense, my friend.:p;):)

View attachment 1161140

This is a quick pic I took before meeting up with @cudgee to pass on his Waynorth Lambsfoot. These are really breathtaking knives. I’ll write a fuller review when I’ve had time to sharpen mine up and put it to a bit of use.

I’m glad to hear that Cudgee put his to work straight away!

I'm very grateful to Charlie, who graciously ensured that the Australian chapter of the Guardians were looked after.:thumbsup::cool::)

I pocketed mine for a weekend out in the bush:

View attachment 1161605

GT, I’d say that besides Cudgee and myself, there are two other Guardians in Oz. @meako is currently in delinquent member status :eek::D:p;) not having posted a Lambsfoot here for a while. However, old hands will recall, he is infamous for Ol’ Snotty (or Kermit), a named Lambsfoot which he dyed a certain shade of green, and which has done the rounds of a few Porch members. If I recall aright, it’s now with @redsparrow ?

Then there’s my friend 1500international, who no longer maintains an account here, I believe, but who is most certainly a Guardian of the Lambsfoot of the first order. When I started posting here, he contacted me privately and invited me to look over his marvellous collection. The Harrison Brothers and Howson Lambsfoot knife posted recently is from his collection, as well as the other extraordinary pieces linked in the quoted post.

David! Do you mean to tell me you only carry ONE Lambsfoot! And there I was, thinking what a top bloke you were! I’m surprised they let you into Yorkshire at all, mate! LOL!:D:p;)

I found myself with three in my pocketses, while I was up in the High Country this weekend, which is no doubt a bit excessive.;):eek: (The Hartshead and Waynorth were for photo opps, and the Ironwood 2019 is my current favourite user.)

View attachment 1161602

Thanks again, Dwight. ANZAC soldiers actually dug in at the pass at Thermopylae during the Greek campaign in WW2, fighting a delaying action against a German battle group.

Cheers fellas, ha ha it takes a long time. I’d say 90% of my posts are done on the phone!

My pleasure Bill. Good to see you enjoying your new Lambsfoot, and posting great photos like this:

Thanks Kevin, that FB Lambsfoot is lookin’ good. Are you going with a swayback handle shape, too?

Great knife, great album!:cool:

Outstanding, my friend. I hope you feel better soon. I’d love to see a Lambsfoot in 52100 steel. It takes a great edge, IMHO.

I found a place in Dandenong that makes them, David. I had an interesting chat with Rob the butcher who is from Newark Nottinghamshire, but worked at a butchers in Yorkshire. He said that Australian weather conditions mandate the use of cured pork, but apart from that, they are the definitely the genuine article. When I mentioned that a mate in Lancashire had put me onto the English Pork Pie, he said to tell you he does a great cheese and onion pie too - he said you’ll know what he means.;):thumbsup:

View attachment 1161606
View attachment 1161603

I followed your good advice Taylor!;):cool:
View attachment 1161600
View attachment 1161601
You are welcome, Chin, your posts are always full of interesting information to read and excellent photos.

@waynorth Thank you Charlie.

@dc50 Thank you Dave.

WhittlinAway WhittlinAway Thank you Greg for the book tip.

pjsjr pjsjr Thank you kindly Preston. another great looking compass.
Your welcome, and thanks, Harvey, it's a user. I've never had to use it to take a back azimuth, but it has the capability if I need it.
Nice collection of lambs there, Preston!
Thanks Matt, I like them all, especially the Waynorth ebony.
Had a nice drive up to McCloud through the mountains. Beautiful evening, took a walk around town and had a nice dinner. Drove out to check the river, now back at the hotel. I won't be on here too much in the next couple of days, so you'll have to excuse my limited "Quote and Respond."

The Hotel

The River

The Lamb
Enjoy your stay and visit, John, your absence and excuse certainly isn't hard to understand... but, witjust a bit of jealousy;)
The thread does move at light speed! Now that's a roll-o-fun!! Nice photo!:):thumbsup:
Yes it does, thank you Dennis.
It sounds like you and Dutch are going to be even busier Preston :) Nice photo my friend :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack, yes we are. I don't mind at all, it's good to see the dogs improve and run well at the trials, knowing I might have had a hand in that.
Good Morning Guardians
Spent the first hour of the morning fishing a little creek. Caught a ton of really small fish.
I will hunt down some bigger fish this evening...But the little guys were a ton of fun to catch.

Great photos, I enjoy catching fish, small or large...look forward to seeing the big one!
Not much in the width, but the Needham is definitely weightier than the Hartshead :eek: It's a great knife though I think, and a very generous gift from my friend @Campbellclanman :) :thumbsup:

YAgUBcw.jpg

ly1e8rz.jpg

Plenty of good Sheffield steel there :thumbsup:

Mgcr0cW.jpg
Jack, those two bladed barlow lambsfoot are interesting, I glad you went with a single blade for the HHB. You are an incredible wealth of information, thanks.
Good afternoon, folks.

I have had to reevaluate how I approach this thread. With the steaming locomotive that this discussion/community has become, I have had to resign myself to mostly lurking. Those of you who have the time and stamina to quote everyone and offer kind words, you have my respect and gratitude, I honestly do not know how you do it. With that said, if I have missed anything that has been directed towards me, you all have my apologies. I have mostly skimmed over the quote posts, spent more time on the history and picture posts, and used the "like" button somewhat liberally.

Rather than drop in with a picture now and then, I thought I might use my limited time to make my posts here a bit more meaningful. Taking a page out of Chin's book, so to speak.

The past several days has seen me with a Waynorth Lamb Foot in my pocket. If any of you recall, I was having some trouble deciding which variant I wanted to make a regular user out of. Ebony is among my very favorite cover materials, it rates up there with good red bone and excellent Stag. However, I have found that with a fine wood clad knife, I am less inclined to toss it in my pocket without some sort of slip. Bone and Stag are materials that, for whatever reason, seem to instill a bit more confidence when it comes to their surface durability. I know that this is perhaps largely in my head but it is this line of thinking that has led me to choose the Jigged Bone version of Charlie's Lamb Foot as my regular user.

With that decision out of the way, I look forward to how the patina will begin to progress. I am a big fan of steel bolsters and liners and am looking forward to how they darken with use and such.

Today began pretty much in the same manner it always begins - with copious amounts of good black coffee. It is in the middle of July and we are experiencing unseasonably cool and wet weather. I am not complaining... I hate the heat.

UPlD2oq.jpg

I mentioned some time ago that I was tending a garden. It continues to grow - and grow - and grow... With my morning coffee, I tend to go inspect the plants, make sure the bugs aren't taking too much of a toll (I don't use chemical pesticides), and pull a few of the larger weeds that might have encroached since the day prior. I haven't tended a garden since I was a kid so it has been very rewarding to see these plants flourish.

NjGZK5C.jpg

I LOVE fresh tomatoes and I am looking forward to these more than any of the other produce, which includes peppers, zucchini, squash, beans, cucumbers, and cilantro (already harvested). Some people are put off by the smell of tomato plants. I absolutely love it. It is fresh, invigorating, and gives promise of wonderful fruit.

5BDFANY.jpg

jrnxH7I.jpg

bLw0wau.jpg

The beans are the first to be ready, followed closely by the squash and zucchini. All are wonderful in just about anything from stir fries to stews, to grilling, etc.

1ZAgh5r.jpg

Phoenix sneaked in on that first pic...

df2b2HO.jpg

My first bounty!

LUtvfFk.jpg

Followed by more coffee and a snack. The blade length is superbly useful for apples on this Waynorth.

0sf5Iym.jpg

wIIzWBv.jpg

I hope you all are having a terrific Monday so far! Not much to complain about on my end, it has been a particularly pleasant morning.
Great post and photos, Dylan. Your garden looks wonderful, enjoy the resulting veggies. I don't garden, but, have friends who do and share. There is no comparison in taste and texture to store bought.

Thanks, herder, I keep looking at that TEW and thinking about a modern rendition of it. It would be perfect on a GEC #74 frame, with clip behind and lambfoot in front, both with mark side nicks.
Jeff I’d definitely be having one of those in my collection! :):thumbsup::cool:

View attachment 1162092 Great posts today, everyone! Carrying a Sheffield veteran with lots of character today! Razor sharp with amazing walk and talk.
That’s a great old Lambsfoot Wild Ben! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Pàdruig Pàdruig That was an enjoyable post to read. Thank you Dylan

A most enjoyable post Dylan, looks like you've got green fingers (as we say here) :) :thumbsup:

Gratifying read Dylan I like your (and Chin's) format!! I too can't cover the number of posts fast enough and appreciate the meaningful tales you have posted. I felt like I toured your garden!!
Happy patinas ahead!!

A super high quality post, Dylan. :cool::thumbsup:

Pàdruig Pàdruig Dylan, thanks for your post! I really enjoyed all the photos of your new Waynorth Jigged Bone Lambsfoot. The garden looks great! :thumbsup: I know y’all will surely enjoy the bounty it will provide! :)

Pictures on the Guardians thread are always wonderful, but some on the last page were just fantastic. Great pictures as usual from tmd_87, Ramrodmb, and black mamba.
But the TEW picture from Jack brought back such good memories, flatblackcapo's Lambsfoot sitting on the V.W. brought a big smile to my face, and the gardening and Lambsfoot pictures from Padruig were just superb.
Thanks for so many great pictures everyone!!!

Great post and photos, Dylan. Your garden looks wonderful, enjoy the resulting veggies. I don't garden, but, have friends who do and share. There is no comparison in taste and texture to store bought.

Thank you all so much for the kind words, they are all very much appreciated. I forgot to mention that I have a pumpkin that I planted elsewhere that doesn't seem to be doing quite as well but it hasn't died yet... All the same, it has been good getting back to my roots (no pun intended (or was it? :D)). I am looking forward to the continued harvest, it has been very enjoyable thus far.

I am capping my day off with one of my favorite brown ales.

Slàinte!

xM38LNF.jpg

Last edited:
Lambsfoot Experience Report: Breaking Down Whole Chickens
Whole chickens were on sale at the market today and I purchased two to break down and stock up our freezer. I have a Japanse Honesuki knife that I usually use for that task, but today I decided to see what would happen if I tackled it with my lambsfoot instead. Some of you may be wondering what's up, given that I've said in the past that I don't tend to favor pocket knives (even a lambsfoot) for extensive kitchen duty. That's still true, but, hear me out, there was method to this madness.

The Honesuki has a relatively straight edge, a pointy angular nose, and gets wider from the nose as it nears the handle. Sound familiar? The nose angle is actually fairly close to that of a lambsfoot, so I thought, "why not?" and decided to give it a try. For lambsfoot science, of course.

Step 1 — Removing the Leg Quarters
The lambsfoot did quite well here and the pointy nose was able to mimic the performance of the Honseuki in deftly removing the "oyster" along with the thigh. With a bit more practice I think I could be equally adept at this task with either knife.

Step 2 — Separating the Leg and Thigh
I was concerned that the relatively short blade of the lambsfoot might make it harder to slice apart the leg and the thigh. That actually didn't prove to be much of a hindrance. Being able to rest my index finger on the spine helped as I guided the blade through the joint. So far, so good.

Step 3 — Removing the Wings
This required a different technique with the lambsfoot as I usually use the heal of the Honesuki blade for this task. Separating the wing was more challenging with the tip of the lambsfoot. It worked, but the Honesuki is faster here and gives slightly better results.

Step 4 — Removing the Breast from the Bones
We mostly use boneless chicken breasts and I wanted the bones to make stock, so I opted for boneless, skin-on breasts. This is where I had the most problem with the lambsfoot. The results were not as clean as I can get with the Honesuki. I suspect this is because the wider blade of the Honesuki makes it easier to follow the keel bone. Or maybe it's the angle of the handle. I'm not quite sure. But this was the most challenging task for the lambsfoot, at least being wielded by my hand.

Step 5 — Removing the Leg Meat from the Bones

We don't tend to eat a lot of chicken legs, so I like to grind the meat and use it in recipes that call for ground chicken. I actually preferred the lambsfoot for this task, mostly because I thought I had better control with my index finger running along the spine.

So there you have it: you can break down a chicken with a lambsfoot and it does an admirable job. It was actually a pleasant experience. I don't think I'll being doing it again soon, though, mostly because I don't want to have to go to the trouble of deep cleaning it afterwards and then drying and oiling it. In a pinch, though, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Last edited:
Lambsfoot Experience Report: Breaking Down Whole Chickens
Whole chickens were on sale at the market today and I purchased two to break down and stock up our freezer. I have a Japanse Honesuki knife that I usually use for that task, but today I decided to see what would happen if tackled it with my lambsfoot instead. Some of you may be wondering what's up, given that I've said in the past that I don't tend to favor pocket knives (even a lambsfoot) for extensive kitchen duty. That's still true, but, hear me out, there was method to this madness.

The Honesuki has a relatively straight edge, a pointy angular nose, and gets wider from the nose as it nears the handle. Sound familiar? The nose angle is actually fairly close to that of a lambsfoot, so I thought, "why not?" and decided to give it a try. For lambsfoot science, of course.

Step 1 — Removing the Leg Quarters
The lambsfoot did quite well here and the pointy nose was able to mimic the performance of the Honseuki in deftly removing the "oyster" along with the thigh. With a bit more practice I think I could be equally adept at this task with either knife.

Step 2 — Separating the Leg and Thigh
I was concerned that the relatively short blade of the lambsfoot might make it harder to slice apart the leg and the thigh. That actually didn't prove to be much of a hindrance. Being able to rest my index finger on the spine helped as I guided the blade through the joint. So far, so good.

Step 3 — Removing the Wings
This required a different technique with the lambsfoot as I usually use the heal of the Honesuki blade for this task. Separating the wing was more challenging with the tip of the lambsfoot. It worked, but the Honesuki is faster here and gives slightly better results.

Step 4 — Removing the Breast from the Bones
We mostly use boneless chicken breasts and I wanted the bones to make stock, so I opted for boneless, skin-on breasts. This is where I had the most problem with the lambsfoot. The results were not as clean as I can get with the Honesuki. I suspect this is because the wider blade of the Honesuki makes it easier to follow the keel bone. Or maybe it's the angle of the handle. I'm not quite sure. But this was the most challenging task for the lambsfoot, at least being wielded by my hand.

Step 5 — Removing the Leg Meat from the Bones

We don't tend to eat a lot of chicken legs, so I like to grind the meat and use it in recipes that call for ground chicken. I actually preferred the lambsfoot for this task, mostly because I thought I had better control with my index finger running along the spine.

So there you have it: you can break down a chicken with a lambsfoot and it does an admirable job. It was actually a pleasant experience. I don't think I'll being doing it again soon, though, mostly because I don't want to have to go to the trouble of deep cleaning it afterwards and then drying and oiling it. In a pinch, though, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Thank you Greg for your fascinating real world in the kitchen account. Well done. Your testing gives one the confidence that in a pinch, a good, sharp Lambsfoot knife will suffice for kitchen duty needs.

Back