1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    @Pàdruig Dylan, thanks for your post! I really enjoyed all the photos of your new Waynorth Jigged Bone Lambsfoot. The garden looks great! :thumbsup: I know y’all will surely enjoy the bounty it will provide! :)

2. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Pictures on the Guardians thread are always wonderful, but some on the last page were just fantastic. Great pictures as usual from tmd_87, Ramrodmb, and black mamba.
    But the TEW picture from Jack brought back such good memories, flatblackcapo's Lambsfoot sitting on the V.W. brought a big smile to my face, and the gardening and Lambsfoot pictures from Padruig were just superb.
    Thanks for so many great pictures everyone!!!

mitch4ging, donn, Half/Stop and 11 others like this.
  3. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    I carried this one on my hike today.
    [​IMG]

4. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    In total agreement with you Dennis in regards to Charcoal, although I make a mean steak with propane:thumbsup: it was 92° yesterday with 86° humidity so the propane won out in regards to prep time;) my well seasoned grill almost eliminates any rub at all:thumbsup::D
    Carried the Waynorth Cutlery today:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

5. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks, herder, I keep looking at that TEW and thinking about a modern rendition of it. It would be perfect on a GEC #74 frame, with clip behind and lambfoot in front, both with mark side nicks.

6. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Wow that Waynorth Cutlery is sure a beauty Paul !
    Really love that jigging to :thumbsup:

paulhilborn and cigarrodog like this.
  7. Wild Ben

Wild Ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2016
    IMG_1309.JPG Great posts today, everyone! Carrying a Sheffield veteran with lots of character today! Razor sharp with amazing walk and talk.

8. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks Jack.

Thanks Harvey.

:D

Same here Christian. I too use the "dark format" which rendered your post all black. Just be aware of the effect.

9. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    She certainly does. :thumbsup:

Jack Black likes this.
  10. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Good Monday Guardians, busy today with a dental appt. and a bit of dog training. Training, again, tomorrow and will have Rosie with me, will try and get some pictures of the dogs and grounds.
    [​IMG]
    Enjoy your stay and visit, John, your absence and excuse certainly won't be hard to understand...just a bit of jealousy;)
    Glad you got them, Barrett, they are special as are all the lambs from Jack's SFOs.
    You are welcome, Chin, your posts are always full of interesting information to read and excellent photos.

11. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Your welcome, and thanks, Harvey, it's a user. I've never had to use it to take a back azimuth, but it has the capability if I need it.
    Thanks Matt, I like them all, especially the Waynorth ebony.
    Enjoy your stay and visit, John, your absence and excuse certainly isn't hard to understand... but, witjust a bit of jealousy;)
    Yes it does, thank you Dennis.
    Thanks Jack, yes we are. I don't mind at all, it's good to see the dogs improve and run well at the trials, knowing I might have had a hand in that.
    Great photos, I enjoy catching fish, small or large...look forward to seeing the big one!
    Jack, those two bladed barlow lambsfoot are interesting, I glad you went with a single blade for the HHB. You are an incredible wealth of information, thanks.
    Great post and photos, Dylan. Your garden looks wonderful, enjoy the resulting veggies. I don't garden, but, have friends who do and share. There is no comparison in taste and texture to store bought.

mitch4ging, Cambertree, donn and 4 others like this.
  12. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Jeff I’d definitely be having one of those in my collection! :):thumbsup::cool:

That’s a great old Lambsfoot Wild Ben! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Jack Black likes this.
  13. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Trying to keep this blade clean and pretty for now:
    [​IMG]
    But got a patina going on this one:
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, chuck4570, pjsjr and 21 others like this.
  14. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016

Thank you all so much for the kind words, they are all very much appreciated. I forgot to mention that I have a pumpkin that I planted elsewhere that doesn't seem to be doing quite as well but it hasn't died yet... All the same, it has been good getting back to my roots (no pun intended (or was it? :D)). I am looking forward to the continued harvest, it has been very enjoyable thus far.

I am capping my day off with one of my favorite brown ales.

Slàinte!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    peanutsxx, chuck4570, pjsjr and 18 others like this.
  15. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    You guys and gals sure know how to get the Guardian of the Lambfoot juices flowing !
    I’ve probably only browsed the last 15 or 20 pages and don’t think I’ve ever seen so many beautiful pictures and posts on one thread .
    I thank you .... I think :)

16. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    @Pàdruig, what an enjoyable post! Thanks for taking the time to write it. I completely understand your time predicament with this thread and respect your solution. Well done.

17. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Lambsfoot Experience Report: Breaking Down Whole Chickens
    Whole chickens were on sale at the market today and I purchased two to break down and stock up our freezer. I have a Japanse Honesuki knife that I usually use for that task, but today I decided to see what would happen if I tackled it with my lambsfoot instead. Some of you may be wondering what's up, given that I've said in the past that I don't tend to favor pocket knives (even a lambsfoot) for extensive kitchen duty. That's still true, but, hear me out, there was method to this madness.

The Honesuki has a relatively straight edge, a pointy angular nose, and gets wider from the nose as it nears the handle. Sound familiar? The nose angle is actually fairly close to that of a lambsfoot, so I thought, "why not?" and decided to give it a try. For lambsfoot science, of course.

Step 1 — Removing the Leg Quarters
    The lambsfoot did quite well here and the pointy nose was able to mimic the performance of the Honseuki in deftly removing the "oyster" along with the thigh. With a bit more practice I think I could be equally adept at this task with either knife.

Step 2 — Separating the Leg and Thigh
    I was concerned that the relatively short blade of the lambsfoot might make it harder to slice apart the leg and the thigh. That actually didn't prove to be much of a hindrance. Being able to rest my index finger on the spine helped as I guided the blade through the joint. So far, so good.

Step 3 — Removing the Wings
    This required a different technique with the lambsfoot as I usually use the heal of the Honesuki blade for this task. Separating the wing was more challenging with the tip of the lambsfoot. It worked, but the Honesuki is faster here and gives slightly better results.

Step 4 — Removing the Breast from the Bones
    We mostly use boneless chicken breasts and I wanted the bones to make stock, so I opted for boneless, skin-on breasts. This is where I had the most problem with the lambsfoot. The results were not as clean as I can get with the Honesuki. I suspect this is because the wider blade of the Honesuki makes it easier to follow the keel bone. Or maybe it's the angle of the handle. I'm not quite sure. But this was the most challenging task for the lambsfoot, at least being wielded by my hand.

Step 5 — Removing the Leg Meat from the Bones

We don't tend to eat a lot of chicken legs, so I like to grind the meat and use it in recipes that call for ground chicken. I actually preferred the lambsfoot for this task, mostly because I thought I had better control with my index finger running along the spine.

So there you have it: you can break down a chicken with a lambsfoot and it does an admirable job. It was actually a pleasant experience. I don't think I'll being doing it again soon, though, mostly because I don't want to have to go to the trouble of deep cleaning it afterwards and then drying and oiling it. In a pinch, though, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    peanutsxx, pjsjr, mitch4ging and 12 others like this.
  18. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Thank you Greg for your fascinating real world in the kitchen account. Well done. Your testing gives one the confidence that in a pinch, a good, sharp Lambsfoot knife will suffice for kitchen duty needs.

19. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Looks great!!!

20. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Thanks, Taylor. I wonder how the Spam and peanut butter sandwich I'm going to make soon will affect the patina?

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.