Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Now, that would be a dystopian future for sure. Let's hope that doesn't come to pass.

I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash.:)

Update: guess I'm NOT out!
42um1Gv.jpg

Phew! The world didn't know how close a call that was for a minute. :D

David! Do you mean to tell me you only carry ONE Lambsfoot! And there I was, thinking what a top bloke you were! I’m surprised they let you into Yorkshire at all, mate! LOL!:D:p;)
I'm surprised they let me into Yorkshire. It's only after I promise to buy a few rounds do they let the drawbridge down...:D
And yes. Usually only one lambsfoot. The opposing pocket is where my wallet chain lives. You know, so it doesn't float off... :(

I found a place in Dandenong that makes them, David. I had an interesting chat with Rob the butcher who is from Newark Nottinghamshire, but worked at a butchers in Yorkshire. He said that Australian weather conditions mandate the use of cured pork, but apart from that, they are the definitely the genuine article. When I mentioned that a mate in Lancashire had put me onto the English Pork Pie, he said to tell you he does a great cheese and onion pie too - he said you’ll know what he means.;):thumbsup:

View attachment 1161606
View attachment 1161603
View attachment 1161601

LOL Chin! The southern hemisphere just went up in my estimation!:D That shop look fantastic but interesting about the climate and cured pork. Anyway I'm glad Australian Immigration has it's priorities right.
UK trained Staff Nurse. Nope.
UK Butcher and Pork Pie Meister Extraordinaire. Yip. :D:thumbsup:

Had a nice drive up to McCloud through the mountains. Beautiful evening, took a walk around town and had a nice dinner. Drove out to check the river, now back at the hotel. I won't be on here too much in the next couple of days, so you'll have to excuse my limited "Quote and Respond."

The Hotel

The River

The Lamb

Looks peaceful and relaxing.:thumbsup:

Thank you. I'm working with Scooter but she just doesn't seem to grasp the herding idea :rolleyes:
Pretty good at one on one, though ;)
KKoPpmV.jpg

That's cos cats are useless. Or extremely smart. Can never figure out which one...:D

My military one took me many miles in the Army in land nav. Then in the gulf war, ( to somewhat answer Onebigbill Onebigbill 's question), we did have GPS, and it was fairly new, and you would frequently loose a satellite, and since you need three to triangulate, and four to give you elevation, losing one could throw you off in a bad kind of way. Don't want to drive right up to the enemy when that's not the plan yet.
We wound up putting in fairly large maritime dash compasses, kill the light, and keep up with some dead reckoning with a map :)( :rolleyes: large tan sheets of paper with few terrain marks) and keeping track of the odometer reading. Good times!:D:thumbsup:

LOL! How long you got? :D ;) I don't get out as much as I did once, but I have always found it very satisfying being able to navigate over near featureless terrain, and get to an exact spot, which may just be a cairn or a spring. Not sure that would be possible with GPS, and I certainly wouldn't get the sense of satisfaction. I note that, while GPS manufacturers, still say the devices should be used in conjunction with map and compass, I see many folks wandering around lost because they just have a mobile phone o_O

When the first civilian GPS were being launched, as equipment editor of the UK's oldest outdoor publication, I was invited to a press launch in the English Lake District by one of the manufacturers. We listened through what was a rather tediously-presented and overly-long lecture before going out to field-test the UK's first civilian GPS. We walked halfway up one of the Lake District's better-known hills before our glorious leader turned on the device - only to find that the batteries were flat! :rolleyes: :D

One of my brothers' is a commercial airline pilot flying the holiday package routes in the Atlantic and Mediterranean, as far east as Cyprus. Over the past 12-18 months they've had multiple advisories and warnings regarding the disruption to and denial of the GNSS network that covers the eastern Med'. Now commercial airlines don't use GPS as their primary (or secondary or even tertiary) means of navigation, and some older aircraft don't even have it fitted, but it's interesting to know that folk out there have the means to turn all this tech off.

Good Morning! Yesterday afternoon we had a Tornado warning, it came down North of us 30 miles away. The tornado missed the local town it was near, it was the hail that came with it, that flattened a large area of crops, estimated to be in the millions damage.
Todays Lambsfoot is the Black Prince :D have a great day Guardians.
View attachment 1161740

Crikey Dave! I never associate tornados with Canada. Stay safe sir. :thumbsup:

Well the Heartshead is a unique exception!:cool::thumbsup:

That's very interesting David, I'll have to say how mine compares to my Needham, which has certainly, hitherto, been the beast of my collection. Albeit a beautiful beast! :D

Not much in the width, but the Needham is definitely weightier than the Hartshead

YAgUBcw.jpg

ly1e8rz.jpg

Plenty of good Sheffield steel there :thumbsup:

Mgcr0cW.jpg

Hi chaps. After saying the Hartshead weighed more than the twin-blade I thought..."really?" So I actually put them on my cheapo kitchen scales. They seem to weigh about the same; a smidge over 5oz. :)

NjGZK5C.jpg

Some people are put off by the smell of tomato plants. I absolutely love it. It is fresh, invigorating, and gives promise of wonderful fruit.

You certainly have green fingers sir! What a great crop and a superb knife to harvest it with. :thumbsup: How can anyone not like the smell of tomato plants though. :confused:

BEEP BEEP
48286109031_a500ed096c_k.jpg

:D

Your knives sure are well traveled. :thumbsup:

So were not so keen on the twin-bladed lambsfoot. But this one with the synthetic covers is definitely useful for when your messing about with cars and brake fluid. :thumbsup:
OvzszAi.jpg

Great shots everyone. I hope Monday wasn't to cruel to you all. :thumbsup:

Hi chaps. After saying the Hartshead weighed more than the twin-blade I thought..."really?" So I actually put them on my cheapo kitchen scales. They seem to weigh about the same; a smidge over 5oz. :)
Don't have my scale handy, but I seem to recall weighing my stag Hartshead Barlow, and it was close to 3oz. Will have to reweigh when I get home.

Thanks Gary, I remember sharing some of the story before via pmo_O
Paul, I remember that (with none of the stolen car info at that time :eek:), but for some reason I got confused and thought you were talking about your horn Guardians knife. :rolleyes:

Wow! I never woulda thunk of that. Nine equal slices, like making a tic-tac-toe grid?

View attachment 1160989
Exactly, Vince. :thumbsup::thumbsup: (And, of course, it only takes 4 cuts to do it. :cool:)

GT Your a man of intelligence charm and whit :thumbsup: I could just about agree with you that peanut butter is of the gods. ;) As I have claimed before its SPAM that's the Ambrosia for mankind. :p:D
Thanks, Dave, but you must be thinking of someone else. ;)
SPAMbrosia, eh?? :p:cool:

Grand shot of UJ, Gary!:):thumbsup:
Even UJ needs a vaca!:D:thumbsup: Nice pictorial!
Union Jack and I belatedly thank you for your attention, Dennis! :)

I might have to GT, with the rate this thread goes at, I'm not getting much work done lately! :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

Thank you my friend :) :thumbsup:

Such a granddad thing to do! :D :thumbsup:

Union Jack looks tanned and relaxed Gary :) :thumbsup:
Your replies are much appreciated, Jack. :)

Thanks Gary, you have a good memory my friend :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack, but probably more accurate to use "had" rather than "have". ;):thumbsup:

I meant to carry something different today, maybe try out Charlie's sweet ebony Lambsfoot, but I ended up with these two, simply because they were still in my pockets from yesterday :D Have a great Sunday Guardians :thumbsup:

0MNcR6F.jpg

Wt8evHF.jpg
Inertia isn't necessarily a bad thing, Jack, if it leads to another day with that blessed pair! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Your Union jack is very photogenic, GT!:)
Thanks, Gary. :):thumbsup: I find my taste buds seem to get more dull every year too!
Of course, I would love to compare them for you but I must confess, the lower one in the pic is the pile side of my first Ironwood. It looks just like Ebony. I'll admit I was a tad disappointed that it didn't have some of the beautifully figured Ironwood like some of the others, at first. I have since come to appreciate how closely it resembles the Ebony I missed out on!:D
Happy Sunday Guardians! Enjoy the last of the weekend!
oWSpy8r.jpg
Thanks, Mark, for the Union Jack props and for gently correcting me on misidentifying one of your ironwoods. :):thumbsup: (The bolster should have tipped me off! :eek:) Splendid pic of your diverse pair of 2019 Guardians lambsfoots! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good morning, afternoon and evening all. Three days of rain on the way. I LOVE IT. :DView attachment 1161189
Another striking pair of very distinguished ironwood lambsfoots! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I'm already ready for Fall GT!

Yep, I should've turned it with the stag grain parallel to the log. :)

If Union Jack keeps hanging out at the docks he may become Marine Jack with piercings and tattoos! :D
Dwight, I'm still hoping to get at least 2 full months of summer yet. (Intense pop-up downpour right now - oops, done already!) I hope Union Jack doesn't feel the need to try to improve on his God-given body that's already a work of art! ;)

Your stag lambsfoot HHB is looking very handsome, Bill! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 1161217 Good day guardians I have been waiting to post this because it took some searching to put this pair together as they should be.Charlie did a great job making this happen
Congrats, AL!! :cool::cool::thumbsup: You must be a fast learner to find a way to come up with that glorious pair after only a couple of months on The Porch!! :)

July 2047, Yorkshire, England
To be continued.
Very cool time travel story, Greg! ;):cool::cool: (Thinking about time travel always makes my head hurt, though. :rolleyes:)

Hope y'all are having a nice relaxing Sunday. I'll be back a little later to catch up on quotes , comments and the like.
48275943617_80ce651e63_h.jpg
Hook 'em, Horn! ;) Great horn on that lambsfoot, FBC! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Here's the herd
AY5BnGs.jpg
First-rate flock, OG! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks chaps for your comments.:thumbsup: However, I think I may, yet again, of been talking pants.:) I just so happened to have my twin blade and my Hartshead together and thought I'd compare.
And what do you know. My Hartshead is both thicker and heavier than my twin-blade.:)
46PGHY6.jpg

Thanks for the interesting and, to me, surprising comparison, David. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, I'm about two (probably closer to three) weeks late posting both of these beauties, but hey... better late than never! o_O :D
I love the blade etch on both of these. The "REAL LAMBFOOT KNIFE" is simple and traditional, and the Hartshead Barlow etch is absolutely beautiful! :thumbsup:

EoYuNVv.jpg

To Jack Black Jack Black , waynorth waynorth and the folks at Wright's and GEC -- well done all around! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
W:eek:W, Barrett, in your fishing terms, I'd say you caught yourself a couple of trophy bunkers there!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks GT. OK, far be it from me to keep you in suspense, my friend.:p;):)
I pocketed mine for a weekend out in the bush:

View attachment 1161605
I found myself with three in my pocketses, while I was up in the High Country this weekend, which is no doubt a bit excessive.;):eek: (The Hartshead and Waynorth were for photo opps, and the Ironwood 2019 is my current favourite user.)

View attachment 1161602
I found a place in Dandenong that makes them, David. I had an interesting chat with Rob the butcher who is from Newark Nottinghamshire, but worked at a butchers in Yorkshire.
View attachment 1161606
View attachment 1161603
Chin, thanks for the photos of those exquisite Waynorth jigged bone lambsfoots, and for the rundown on Australian Guardians!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
The meat pie info was also very interesting, including the photo of Rob the Butcher's wares. I'll soon be going on vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and a "signature food" of that region is pasties, both Cornish and Finnish (one includes carrots, one doesn't, but I don't remember which is which). Looks like Rob has them, and I'd recommend them! :thumbsup::thumbsup: The Yoopers (residents of the U. P.) say they should be served with only ketchup as a "topping", although they usually offer gravy for tourists.

Had a nice drive up to McCloud through the mountains. Beautiful evening, took a walk around town and had a nice dinner. Drove out to check the river, now back at the hotel. I won't be on here too much in the next couple of days, so you'll have to excuse my limited "Quote and Respond."
Thanks for giving us a little peek at where you are, John. :cool::cool: Hope you have a positively memorable time there! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My Lambsfoot of the Week is Valley Jack, my 2019 Guardians ironwood lambsfoot:
VJ.pile.Vopen.knothole.jpg

- GT

Hi Guardians, hope everyone is having a good day :) 7.30pm here, and I've not been back home long after what actually turned out to be a pretty good hike :) The weather has been great too :thumbsup:

Just thought I'd post a few pics before I try to catch up :thumbsup:

XRtTBx6.jpg

ZGpRy1g.jpg

GpSvPpf.jpg

yYjKuze.jpg

semPWoe.jpg

lHfkhlW.jpg

foongQF.jpg

oD39UCE.jpg

Great pic Mark :) :thumbsup:

Pictures on the Guardians thread are always wonderful, but some on the last page were just fantastic. Great pictures as usual from tmd_87, Ramrodmb, and black mamba.
But the TEW picture from Jack brought back such good memories, flatblackcapo's Lambsfoot sitting on the V.W. brought a big smile to my face, and the gardening and Lambsfoot pictures from Padruig were just superb.
Thanks for so many great pictures everyone!!!

Happy memories indeed my friend :) :thumbsup:

I carried this one on my hike today.
OnOn4av.jpg

Hope you enjoyed your hike as much as I did mine today Dave :) :thumbsup:

Carried the Waynorth Cutlery today:thumbsup:
D0HONK.jpg

Fine choice Paul :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, herder, I keep looking at that TEW and thinking about a modern rendition of it. It would be perfect on a GEC #74 frame, with clip behind and lambfoot in front, both with mark side nicks.

It's easy to see why those two blades were combined for the Australian market (Lambsfoot and a 'Bunny' blade), particularly if the pattern was commissioned by the Australian retailer, as I believe may have been the case. In hand, I didn't find the combination entirely satisfactory though, the folded Clip spoiled the ergonomics of the knife when using the Lambsfoot, and while the knife appeared to have seen plenty of carry, the blades didn't actually look to have seen much use :thumbsup:

q5fvTxY.jpg

View attachment 1162092 Great posts today, everyone! Carrying a Sheffield veteran with lots of character today! Razor sharp with amazing walk and talk.

Smashing Ben :) :thumbsup:

Good Monday Guardians, busy today with a dental appt. and a bit of dog training. Training, again, tomorrow and will have Rosie with me, will try and get some pictures of the dogs and grounds.
IMG_1246.JPG

Enjoy your stay and visit, John, your absence and excuse certainly won't be hard to understand...just a bit of jealousy;)

Glad you got them, Barrett, they are special as are all the lambs from Jack's SFOs.

You are welcome, Chin, your posts are always full of interesting information to read and excellent photos.

Hope your dental appointment went OK Preston, your Lambsfoot is showing some character :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack, yes we are. I don't mind at all, it's good to see the dogs improve and run well at the trials, knowing I might have had a hand in that.

Jack, those two bladed barlow lambsfoot are interesting, I glad you went with a single blade for the HHB. You are an incredible wealth of information, thanks.

I'm sure it is very rewarding my friend :) Thank you, I certainly wouldn't have wanted a secondary blade on the Barlow :thumbsup:

Trying to keep this blade clean and pretty for now:
yBXjzfc.jpg

But got a patina going on this one:
VKyhpjy.jpg

Excellent pics Vince :) :thumbsup:

I am capping my day off with one of my favorite brown ales.

Slàinte!

xM38LNF.jpg

A lot of coincidences here lately! I finished my hike in a small West Yorkshire market town, where I saw there was an beer shop. I just had time to dash in for a couple of cans of beer before my bus came, and grabbed two more or less at random. Never seen this beer before, or even heard of it, it was only when I saw your pic Dylan, I realised one of the beers was this one! :cool: Nice to be able to taste one of your favourites :) :thumbsup:

vaycZjA.jpg

Lambsfoot Experience Report: Breaking Down Whole Chickens
Whole chickens were on sale at the market today and I purchased two to break down and stock up our freezer. I have a Japanse Honesuki knife that I usually use for that task, but today I decided to see what would happen if I tackled it with my lambsfoot instead. Some of you may be wondering what's up, given that I've said in the past that I don't tend to favor pocket knives (even a lambsfoot) for extensive kitchen duty. That's still true, but, hear me out, there was method to this madness.

The Honesuki has a relatively straight edge, a pointy angular nose, and gets wider from the nose as it nears the handle. Sound familiar? The nose angle is actually fairly close to that of a lambsfoot, so I thought, "why not?" and decided to give it a try. For lambsfoot science, of course.

Step 1 — Removing the Leg Quarters
The lambsfoot did quite well here and the pointy nose was able to mimic the performance of the Honseuki in deftly removing the "oyster" along with the thigh. With a bit more practice I think I could be equally adept at this task with either knife.

Step 2 — Separating the Leg and Thigh
I was concerned that the relatively short blade of the lambsfoot might make it harder to slice apart the leg and the thigh. That actually didn't prove to be much of a hindrance. Being able to rest my index finger on the spine helped as I guided the blade through the joint. So far, so good.

Step 3 — Removing the Wings
This required a different technique with the lambsfoot as I usually use the heal of the Honesuki blade for this task. Separating the wing was more challenging with the tip of the lambsfoot. It worked, but the Honesuki is faster here and gives slightly better results.

Step 4 — Removing the Breast from the Bones
We mostly use boneless chicken breasts and I wanted the bones to make stock, so I opted for boneless, skin-on breasts. This is where I had the most problem with the lambsfoot. The results were not as clean as I can get with the Honesuki. I suspect this is because the wider blade of the Honesuki makes it easier to follow the keel bone. Or maybe it's the angle of the handle. I'm not quite sure. But this was the most challenging task for the lambsfoot, at least being wielded by my hand.

Step 5 — Removing the Leg Meat from the Bones

We don't tend to eat a lot of chicken legs, so I like to grind the meat and use it in recipes that call for ground chicken. I actually preferred the lambsfoot for this task, mostly because I thought I had better control with my index finger running along the spine.

So there you have it: you can break down a chicken with a lambsfoot and it does an admirable job. It was actually a pleasant experience. I don't think I'll being doing it again soon, though, mostly because I don't want to have to go to the trouble of deep cleaning it afterwards and then drying and oiling it. In a pinch, though, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Excellent report Greg, thank you :) We learn about knives by using them I think, and the kitchen is a good place to start. Sounds like the Lambsfoot did OK :) :thumbsup:

Pàdruig Pàdruig , what an enjoyable post! Thanks for taking the time to write it. I completely understand your time predicament with this thread and respect your solution. Well done.

Thank you, Greg! I enjoyed your kitchen post as well. I am fond of looking at pictures of these fine knives as much as any of us but experiencing real world use through others is something else altogether.

You certainly have green fingers sir! What a great crop and a superb knife to harvest it with. :thumbsup: How can anyone not like the smell of tomato plants though. :confused:

Thank you, David. 'Tis a mystery on the tomato plants and their unique scent. My mother is one who doesn't care for it but she also does not care for anything with a strong smell. She has an extraordinarily sensitive nose.

Hi Guardians, hope everyone is having a good day :) 7.30pm here, and I've not been back home long after what actually turned out to be a pretty good hike :) The weather has been great too :thumbsup:

XRtTBx6.jpg

ZGpRy1g.jpg

GpSvPpf.jpg

yYjKuze.jpg

semPWoe.jpg

lHfkhlW.jpg

foongQF.jpg

oD39UCE.jpg

Thank you for taking us along with you, Jack. The hike looked spectacular, you live around some beautiful country!

A lot of coincidences here lately! I finished my hike in a small West Yorkshire market town, where I saw there was an beer shop. I just had time to dash in for a couple of cans of beer before my bus came, and grabbed two more or less at random. Never seen this beer before, or even heard of it, it was only when I saw your pic Dylan, I realised one of the beers was this one! :cool: Nice to be able to taste one of your favourites :) :thumbsup:

A coincidence indeed! And how did you find the ale? Unfortunately, browns are not a popular style over here and it is rather rare to come across one, let alone a decent one. Rogue's Hazelnut Brown is one of the only ones that are regularly available, though I think we can get the Newcastle Brown as well.

Unfortunately, the big one got away. My wife was ready wirh the camera, but he shook the fly before I could land him. :oops:

I'll get 'em next time. :D

Good attitude John :) :thumbsup:

How does the steel on that knife get so dark? I have plenty of carbon steel knives, and apart from a few pepper spots, they all seem to patina to light grey and stay there.

The blades only look to have seen light use, but who knows what they were used on - there are all sorts of unusual flora and fauna in the Antipodes, which most of us are unfamiliar with! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks. I was mostly curious about, and motivated by, the similarities in shape between those two knives. There are differences, too, of course.

The whole experience does have we wondering about the utility of a fixed blade lambsfoot, perhaps with a slightly longer blade, in the kitchen. Perhaps @Cambertree has some thoughts to share, or we will get some experience reports from @flatblackcapo and @mitch4ging once they’ve completed theirs. Regardless, I’m excited that more folks with the skills to produce them have fixed blade Lambsfoots underway or on the list of things to make.

I find it a fascinating subject Greg, I've always thought I'd need to have a blade with some belly for certain tasks, and yet for most of mankind's history, we mainly used straight-edged blades, and seem to have managed perfectly well with them. I haven't hunted in years, but I've been using the 'Frostfoot' @Cambetree very kindly gifted me in the kitchen, and find it at least as useful as my other kitchen knives. It has some similarities with the Lambsfoot blade, but is obviously wider. I'd love to know how Chin is getting on with his 'Lambshank' :thumbsup:

CG1QvU5.jpg

This is a traditional Norwegian pattern, which is specifically designed for processing fish.

rh4Ruo2.jpg

I doubt we'll ever know exactly how the Lambsfoot blade actually came about, but each time I use mine, I marvel at the design :thumbsup:

Lovely photo of your Hartshead Dwight :) :thumbsup:

Gx4Ag1Lh.jpg

All for one, one for all.

What a great pic Greg! :D :cool: :thumbsup:

Totin my Ironwood Damascus today. :) Forgive the recycled photo. By the time I got home from the Y this morning the sun was hitting my outdoor photo lab a little too much! ;) Hope all of you Guardians have a great day! :D

47643050672_83ef7a2af8_b.jpg

She's a beauty Ron :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
Heading back home soon, it's been a wonderfully refreshing trip. :cool::thumbsup:

Fantastic John, thank you for taking us (and your Hartshead Barlow) along with you my friend :) :thumbsup:

Cup of Columbian coffee
View attachment 1162336
Happy Tuesday Guardians!

Nice cup Taylor :) :thumbsup:

Delicious Harvey! :D :thumbsup:

Made in England. :D

zYsS1Gp.jpg

Cool pic Barrett :) :thumbsup:

XRtTBx6.jpg

ZGpRy1g.jpg

GpSvPpf.jpg

yYjKuze.jpg

semPWoe.jpg

lHfkhlW.jpg

foongQF.jpg

oD39UCE.jpg
Really great photos Jack. Looks like the formation of patina on the HHB.

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

Thank you, PJ. :)

Unfortunately, the big one got away. My wife was ready wirh the camera, but he shook the fly before I could land him. :oops:

John, Where do you fly fish? I took this shot of a smallie Rainbow that I caught on a #16 tan Caddis emerger whilst fishing the Red Bank Creek in Brookville, PA. Just a beautiful fish. Was a catch and release. However, we keep a few for fish-fry-Wednesday and I use my Victorinox Pioneer Alox to clean them.
Fishing 2010 006.jpg

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

I'm surprised they let me into Yorkshire. It's only after I promise to buy a few rounds do they let the drawbridge down...:D
And yes. Usually only one lambsfoot. The opposing pocket is where my wallet chain lives. You know, so it doesn't float off... :(

LOL Chin! The southern hemisphere just went up in my estimation!:D That shop look fantastic but interesting about the climate and cured pork. Anyway I'm glad Australian Immigration has it's priorities right.
UK trained Staff Nurse. Nope.
UK Butcher and Pork Pie Meister Extraordinaire. Yip. :D:thumbsup:

Looks peaceful and relaxing.:thumbsup:

That's cos cats are useless. Or extremely smart. Can never figure out which one...:D

One of my brothers' is a commercial airline pilot flying the holiday package routes in the Atlantic and Mediterranean, as far east as Cyprus. Over the past 12-18 months they've had multiple advisories and warnings regarding the disruption to and denial of the GNSS network that covers the eastern Med'. Now commercial airlines don't use GPS as their primary (or secondary or even tertiary) means of navigation, and some older aircraft don't even have it fitted, but it's interesting to know that folk out there have the means to turn all this tech off.

Crikey Dave! I never associate tornados with Canada. Stay safe sir. :thumbsup:

Your knives sure are well traveled. :thumbsup:

So were not so keen on the twin-bladed lambsfoot. But this one with the synthetic covers is definitely useful for when your messing about with cars and brake fluid. :thumbsup:
OvzszAi.jpg

Great shots everyone. I hope Monday wasn't to cruel to you all. :thumbsup:

LOL! That picture tells a story my friend! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

I forget to tell you about the Eccles Cake I bought in Knaresborough on Saturday - £1.45!!! And it was SMALL! And RUBBISH! o_O

Don't have my scale handy, but I seem to recall weighing my stag Hartshead Barlow, and it was close to 3oz. Will have to reweigh when I get home.

I reckon you've got better scales than David Vince! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Inertia isn't necessarily a bad thing, Jack, if it leads to another day with that blessed pair! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Mark, for the Union Jack props and for gently correcting me on misidentifying one of your ironwoods. :):thumbsup: (The bolster should have tipped me off! :eek:) Splendid pic of your diverse pair of 2019 Guardians lambsfoots! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another striking pair of very distinguished ironwood lambsfoots! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Dwight, I'm still hoping to get at least 2 full months of summer yet. (Intense pop-up downpour right now - oops, done already!) I hope Union Jack doesn't feel the need to try to improve on his God-given body that's already a work of art! ;)

Your stag lambsfoot HHB is looking very handsome, Bill! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats, AL!! :cool::cool::thumbsup: You must be a fast learner to find a way to come up with that glorious pair after only a couple of months on The Porch!! :)

Very cool time travel story, Greg! ;):cool::cool: (Thinking about time travel always makes my head hurt, though. :rolleyes:)

Hook 'em, Horn! ;) Great horn on that lambsfoot, FBC! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

First-rate flock, OG! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the interesting and, to me, surprising comparison, David. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

W:eek:W, Barrett, in your fishing terms, I'd say you caught yourself a couple of trophy bunkers there!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Chin, thanks for the photos of those exquisite Waynorth jigged bone lambsfoots, and for the rundown on Australian Guardians!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
The meat pie info was also very interesting, including the photo of Rob the Butcher's wares. I'll soon be going on vacation in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and a "signature food" of that region is pasties, both Cornish and Finnish (one includes carrots, one doesn't, but I don't remember which is which). Looks like Rob has them, and I'd recommend them! :thumbsup::thumbsup: The Yoopers (residents of the U. P.) say they should be served with only ketchup as a "topping", although they usually offer gravy for tourists.

Thanks for giving us a little peek at where you are, John. :cool::cool: Hope you have a positively memorable time there! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My Lambsfoot of the Week is Valley Jack, my 2019 Guardians ironwood lambsfoot:
View attachment 1162420

- GT

Thank you Gary :) That's interesting about the Michigan pasties, I bet a splash of Henderson's would go with them a treat ;)

Great pics, Jack. That beer is making me thirsty!

Thanks Vince :) :thumbsup:

Pictures are worth thousands of words, Jack!! Thanks for the lovelies today!!!

Thank you Charlie, your Lambsfoot is very photogenic :) :thumbsup:

MPj4QWX.jpg

Jack Black Jack Black Glad you enjoyed your hike Jack! :) Thanks for all the great photos. :thumbsup: It looks like your Lambsfoot companions worked up a thirst! ;)

Thanks Ron :) :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black The glimpses of your hiking adventures was great fun. Cheers.

I also wanted to commend you for a true photojournalist, successful effort to get the TEW shot, perfectly.

Thank you very much Harvey :D :thumbsup:

A coincidence indeed! And how did you find the ale? Unfortunately, browns are not a popular style over here and it is rather rare to come across one, let alone a decent one. Rogue's Hazelnut Brown is one of the only ones that are regularly available, though I think we can get the Newcastle Brown as well.

Very pleasant Dylan :) Though that small can cost me about $6, which I imagine is somewhat more than it sells for where you are my friend. Brown ale is not as popular a style here as it once was (except in the North-East), but I think it may be due a revival :) Newcastle Brown is not the beer it was I don't think, though I still drink it occasionally. I like Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale, and am also eager to try Timothy Taylor's Brown Ale :thumbsup:

Quite some time ago, some of you might recall that I decided to undertake the making of a "proper" chip butty. It was an interesting experience and I replicated it on a number of occasions afterwards. I haven't made one for quite some time though, as I've been trying to cut back on my gross carb intake (beer doesn't count :p).

Well, inspired by Greg's chicken processing and the wonderful performance of the Waynorth jigged at simply cutting up an apple, I decided to make a chip butty for breakfast this morning. However, this time, I was going to put my own spin on it. It definitely will not be a traditional chip butty but it will certainly be inspired by one. Of course, a Lambsfoot will be responsible for all of the food prep.

First, like always, we kick things off with some strong coffee.

5Av0xtS.jpg

Since the potatoes take the longest to cook, I prepped them first. A couple of things to note here: Not only does the length of the Waynorth Lambsfoot facilitate easy processing of the potatoes, the thin blade just sails through them. I made short work of these red potatoes (these are a household staple), cutting them up in slices that would lay flat on bread.

7ZBVeJd.jpg

Here is the beginning of my own "spin". I cut up a number of veggies, including the squash and zucchini that I harvested from my garden, setting them aside for now until the potatoes had progressed a bit more. The knife sailed through all of the veggies. The mushrooms posed a bit of a problem in that they had a tendency to stick to the blade.

iIidoOr.jpg

After the potatoes and veggies were finished, I toasted some bread, grated some extra sharp white cheddar (made right here in Oregon), and brought out a number of appropriate condiments.

115e7C7.jpg

Breakfast is served! An open faced chip butty with fresh cooked veggies, spices, extra sharp white cheddar. Topped with a couple of sunny side up eggs and a few liberal dashes of Henderson's. Pretty tasty, if I do say so myself. The Lambsfoot performed its tasks admirably, it is a slicing machine!

ETwSj5J.jpg

Quite some time ago, some of you might recall that I decided to undertake the making of a "proper" chip butty. It was an interesting experience and I replicated it on a number of occasions afterwards. I haven't made one for quite some time though, as I've been trying to cut back on my gross carb intake (beer doesn't count :p).

Well, inspired by Greg's chicken processing and the wonderful performance of the Waynorth jigged at simply cutting up an apple, I decided to make a chip butty for breakfast this morning. However, this time, I was going to put my own spin on it. It definitely will not be a traditional chip butty but it will certainly be inspired by one. Of course, a Lambsfoot will be responsible for all of the food prep.

5Av0xtS.jpg

Since the potatoes take the longest to cook, I prepped them first. A couple of things to note here: Not only does the length of the Waynorth Lambsfoot facilitate easy processing of the potatoes, the thin blade just sails through them. I made short work of these red potatoes (these are a household staple), cutting them up in slices that would lay flat on bread.

7ZBVeJd.jpg

Here is the beginning of my own "spin". I cut up a number of veggies, including the squash and zucchini that I harvested from my garden, setting them aside for now until the potatoes had progressed a bit more. The knife sailed through all of the veggies. The mushrooms posed a bit of a problem in that they had a tendency to stick to the blade.

iIidoOr.jpg

After the potatoes and veggies were finished, I toasted some bread, grated some extra sharp white cheddar (made right here in Oregon), and brought out a number of appropriate condiments.

115e7C7.jpg

Breakfast is served! An open faced chip butty with fresh cooked veggies, spices, extra sharp white cheddar. Topped with a couple of sunny side up eggs and a few liberal dashes of Henderson's. Pretty tasty, if I do say so myself. The Lambsfoot performed its tasks admirably, it is a slicing machine!

ETwSj5J.jpg

WOW! :eek: What a feast Dylan! :) Great pics too my friend :) :thumbsup:

I have just spotted this! :eek:

Hendersons_Relish_1024x1024.jpg

My HHB weighs:
90.6 grams or 3.195 ounces

Thank you Mark :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, herder, I keep looking at that TEW and thinking about a modern rendition of it. It would be perfect on a GEC #74 frame, with clip behind and lambfoot in front, both with mark side nicks.

That could work.

48301616657_c98cbb4fa1_b.jpg

It's easy to see why those two blades were combined for the Australian market (Lambsfoot and a 'Bunny' blade), particularly if the pattern was commissioned by the Australian retailer, as I believe may have been the case. In hand, I didn't find the combination entirely satisfactory though, the folded Clip spoiled the ergonomics of the knife when using the Lambsfoot, and while the knife appeared to have seen plenty of carry, the blades didn't actually look to have seen much use :thumbsup:

I'm with Jack though. But then again, I vastly prefer single blade knives for both carry and actual use. Should I need a choice between different blades, I simply take that as an opportunity to carry multiple knives. :thumbsup:

I reckon you've got better scales than David Vince! :D ;) :thumbsup:
I reckon I do too!

5Av0xtS.jpg

7ZBVeJd.jpg

iIidoOr.jpg

115e7C7.jpg

ETwSj5J.jpg
Great post, Dylan. Everything looks good (except for the fungi! :eek:).

Back