Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I think some people who are newer to traditionals don't realize that the Mark side of a knife is the presentation side of the knife. As a result, some manufactures will put a very nice piece of stag on the Mark side with a lesser piece of stag on the Pile side. It wasn't long ago that some manufactures polished the Mark side of the blade and left a satin finish on the Pile side.

I think this Oxhorn example demonstrates that Wright's (and other manufacturers) traditionally saved the best horn for the Mark side, and used plainer horn on the Pile side.

B3ZcrBq.jpg

at9rmd2.jpg

I must admit to having been ignorant of that fact despite having hung out here on the porch and trying to soak up information for a while now. Thank you, Gentlemen, for the education.

View attachment 1164661 Good morning guardians starting the day of turning these little babies into breakfast home fries with the help of this lambsfoot

That's a nice IXL, do you know what the covers are? :thumbsup:

Jack, your post here really helps my understanding of knife manufacture. Being new to knife collecting I often have questions that I'm sure are common knowledge with the seasoned collectors. I appreciate the many fine comments to my sometimes sophomoric questions.

58446FEB-0CBC-43B6-ACD0-1FB8EC220F33_zpsiq33rmv5.jpeg

Good morning all. Getting a jump on cutting suckers from the trees in my yard before the heat gets too bad. My favorite knife at the ever ready. Glorious summer day.
View attachment 1164737

58446FEB-0CBC-43B6-ACD0-1FB8EC220F33_zpsiq33rmv5.jpeg

Thanks Bill, nice pic, I need to spend a couple of hours pulling bindweed off of my brambles :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, hope you all have a great Saturday. I'm heading to the range in a little while. Going to take a few of my favorite things:D:thumbsup::D
IMG_1259.JPG

Hope you had a great time Preston :thumbsup:

Those would most definitely be a few of my favorite things. :cool:

Have a great weekend allView attachment 1164763

The same to you Dwight, smashing pic :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:Thanks Jack!

Thanks Harvey. I look forward to seeing them all together.:thumbsup:

Great shot Jack! I would love to have a look through that book.

Kind of you to say Jose, thank you!

Thank you sir!:thumbsup:

Thanks Gary.;) Yes, the bolster is the tell but hard to notice if you're not looking for it.

Beautiful photo! What a knife!:cool:

@Cambertree -Apparently lost a couple quotes for you. Thanks for the specific recommendations on the sable brush with regards to adding color with PP as well as the buffing with leather. I will try both. I generally try to avoid the 'high spots" or lighter areas of Stag while adding color to the low or dark spots as I appreciate the contrast. I think a small brush would help to be more precise. I will be sure to borrow one of my wife's brushes that she is ok with not getting back.:)
Always enjoy reading your posts and your great photos, my friend. Hope you have a splendid weekend!:thumbsup:

I'm sure I have posted this pic before but I like it so here it goes again.
Have a great weekend Jack and all the Guardians!;)
33rQF2s.jpg

Thanks a lot Mark :D That photo is definitely worth posting again :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
I'm still in the honeymoon phase with this one...

I'm not surprised John :) :thumbsup:

Good morning, Guardians.
ssZnHOk.jpg

Hey! Nice patina Rachel :cool: :thumbsup:

That's one very Fancy Dancer, Dwight!
Imposing, immaculate ironwood, Dwight, and an inviting photo!
Thank you very much my friend.

Very cool B&W composition.

Dwight, your "little black lambsfoot" is just a picture of elegance and distinction!
Gracias amigo

The same to you Dwight, smashing pic
Thank you Jack.

Darn kids always causing trouble :rolleyes::oops: The Totem is today's star, maybe I should just call it Tornado :p
View attachment 1164914
Smashing colorful Tornado Totem Titan.

Are they doing that with their regular knives as well Jack? Surely that can be considered an improvement as long as they have increased prices to account for their increased costs.

Not generally Christian, but a lot of folks read this thread, and admire the pictures, often thinking that the SFOs are Wright's standard production knives. One of the consequences of this is that one or two dealers are asking Wright's for 'Double A-side' horn because they have had folks contacting them about knives they've seen here, or because they've seen them themselves. However, for most of Wright's customers, I think price remains a major factor, and I think they (Wright's) will try to keep costs down :thumbsup:

I think part of the issue is the renewed interest in slipjoints. There are some who are true connoisseurs, familiar with them and their idiosyncracies. Then there are those who are new to the type, and may not know that stag and other natural materials have their limitations. They think stag premium because of the higher prices asked for stag covered knives, but that's simply a reflection of the higher costs spent on the raw material. They aren't aware that the really premium stuff is limited in availability. Furthermore, it isn't simply a matter of having good stuff. The skill to properly haft stag has mostly been lost.

Well said Christian. In the old days, the big cutlers had rooms full of quality stag, and employees whose sole job it was to purchase it, select it, store it, and cut it. There were also scores of firms in Sheffield who were 'scale cutters', and from whom small cutlers could obtain the scales or covers ready cut. Not just stag, but bone, ivory, MOP, etc. Sadly, many skills have now been lost :( :thumbsup:

Smashing Sheldon Knife Harvey :thumbsup:

Has anyone ever seen an old lambfoot that was properly maintained? I ask because I just tipped my rosewood Wright's. The loss of material is miniscule, a person looking at the blade for the first time might think it came that way from the factory, but it's there and it happened on my watch. Maybe it's because I like a fine edge (a fine edge comes with a fine point), but I hope the old rounded lambfoot isn't inevitable.

From what I've seen, many of the old boys weren't great at sharpening, or at least they only had coarse stones or the edge of a curbstone. I don't think that the rounding of the tip is inevitable though Christian, and there are plenty of old Lambsfoot knives to demonstrate that. If I remember correctly, the two @r8shell has that have been sharpened almost punch-like still have their tips :thumbsup:

lNadv0h.jpg

IYWONMq.jpg

Happy Saturday Guardians!

dRFHKpO.jpg

Great pic Barry :) I just realised that is a different cap! :cool: :thumbsup:

I'm using this knife as it was intended to be used, as an inexpensive cutting tool. My other, more glamorous knives get doted on. This one will be treated like an English sodbuster -- use, dull, sharpen, repeat. As long as the damage isn't too bad I'll work around it. Doing otherwise would just waste precious steel.

Excellent Christian, I'm really looking forward to hearing how you get on with it long-term my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack; Valley Jack is VERY photogenic, doubly so because of his two different, but both appealing, sides. :)
I have to admit that, while I rejoice with others over their enjoyment of almost any knife, a LOT of those knives are probably not my personal "cup of tea". :rolleyes:
I think it's rather shameful the way Lucy snuggles up to that poor celibate Monk, showing off her charms. :eek::p

Don't forget knives and family, John! ;):thumbsup: All those interests must keep you BUSY!

As I said in your other related thread, John, congrats and it's hard for me to imagine a more fitting recipient! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:
Boola! Boola! Boola! to ED for his thoughtful beneficence!! :):thumbsup::cool::cool:

I forgot that you are not only talented in the art of scrimshaw, but also quite a fan of unmarked smooth white bone handles! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for the hot advice! ;):cool::cool:
Cool pic: the shadows on the rosewood handle of your HHB look sort of like a random scripting pattern! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I appreciate your saying so, Harvey. :)

Dwight, your "little black lambsfoot" is just a picture of elegance and distinction! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Dennis, I'm honored that you were influenced by me in the way you post here. :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Now the tables are turned! :rolleyes::cool::cool:
I'm glad you kept that blond horn knife with its blemish instead of returning it! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks for your compliment on my Valley Jack, here and in your following post. :)

The bold "chevron" feathering on your big horn lambsfoot is noteworthy, Dennis! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Black Power, Jack!! ;):cool::thumbsup:

The bolsters on your HHB are such a bonus, José! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I enjoy your ebullience over your ebony lambsfoot, John! :thumbsup::cool::cool:;)

That's one very Fancy Dancer, Dwight! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Imposing, immaculate ironwood, Dwight, and an inviting photo! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Valley Jack claims that I must post a pic of him EVERY day he's carried, even if it's 7 consecutive days :rolleyes:. I'll teach him who's boss by posting "warm" and "noir" filtered photos!
View attachment 1164853
View attachment 1164854

- GT

LOL! Thanks pal :D :thumbsup: Cool pics :thumbsup:

I also think that a lot of the newer traditional knife buyers are coming from a modern knife background. They are used to well-matched and machined parts, they are not accustomed to old world production techniques and the other attributes of slip joint knives. Many of us here are older and grew up with slip joint knives, we know what to expect and accept when we inspect. :D

Yes John, I sometimes think it would be easier just to have Delrin covers, then everyone gets the same, and there's no moaning! :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

Good evening, Jack, it looks like there is a wee bit of patina on the blade. :) two more tornados yesterday farther South this time.:eek:

Yes, just a tad my friend :) Yikes, stay safe brother! :eek: :thumbsup:

Linda says Hi back :D :thumbsup:

:cool: :D :thumbsup:

Come on guys! This is the second time, in a pretty short span of time, that folks needed this reminder.
I know this kind of post is not Jack's favorite thing to do. Not mine either, but it's my task. Let's keep some Lambsfoot knife content, please.

Thank you Gary, I'm very sorry you had to step in :( Hope everyone will take it on board :thumbsup:

I don't think that the rounding of the tip is inevitable though Christian, and there are plenty of old Lambsfoot knives to demonstrate that. If I remember correctly, the two @r8shell has that have been sharpened almost punch-like still have their tips :thumbsup:
I suppose a bit more care is in order.
Excellent Christian, I'm really looking forward to hearing how you get on with it long-term my friend :) :thumbsup:
We're getting along famously Jack. There's something very endearing about an inexpensive, unpretentious, low-maintenance tool. If it dulls, so what? The straight edge is dead simple to hone. A few moments on a bench stone and it's back to being a fearsome cutter.

We're getting along famously Jack. There's something very endearing about an inexpensive, unpretentious, low-maintenance tool. If it dulls, so what? The straight edge is dead simple to hone. A few moments on a bench stone and it's back to being a fearsome cutter.

I couldn't agree more Christian :) I'm glad you're getting along so well, I thought you would. Simple working men's knives, peasant knives, are always a great thing to get to know :) Those patterns didn't stay around because they are pretty, but because they work, and it's always interesting to experience that I think :thumbsup:

Sticking with my current theme and Betty.
48327318517_f786743d30_h.jpg

Fantastic pic Kevin! :cool: You have the agility of a cat my friend! :D :thumbsup:

8hadnVG.jpg

To be honest, when I requested my 2019 Guardians knife I didn’t expect it to see much use. Like everyone else here, I’m pretty well fitted for knives, and I didn’t really see a niche for this one.

I’m pleasantly surprised by the fact that this knife has supplanted my Victorinox Farmer as my “go-to” knife for most outdoor tasks. It has earned its keep again today, trimming “non-contorted” branches from my wife’s contorted filbert tree.

0C2EB146-FF32-4D64-A9AE-F9858D5878A3.jpeg

That's a nice IXL, do you know what the covers are? :thumbsup:

Thanks Bill, nice pic, I need to spend a couple of hours pulling bindweed off of my brambles :thumbsup:

Hope you had a great time Preston :thumbsup:

The same to you Dwight, smashing pic :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Mark :D That photo is definitely worth posting again :) :thumbsup:

I'm not surprised John :) :thumbsup:

Hey! Nice patina Rachel :cool: :thumbsup:
Good morning, you asked what the covers were on Reaper Al's lamb foot, i am pretty sure they are polished rosewood. I have one and it looks identical to mine. Have a good Sunday mate.

To be honest, when I requested my 2019 Guardians knife I didn’t expect it to see much use. Like everyone else here, I’m pretty well fitted for knives, and I didn’t really see a niche for this one.

I’m pleasantly surprised by the fact that this knife has supplanted my Victorinox Farmer as my “go-to” knife for most outdoor tasks. It has earned its keep again today, trimming “non-contorted” branches from my wife’s contorted filbert tree.

View attachment 1165087

That's fantastic, great stuff :) Nice pic too :) :thumbsup:

Good morning, you asked what the covers were on Reaper Al's lamb foot, i am pretty sure they are polished rosewood. I have one and it looks identical to mine. Have a good Sunday mate.

Thanks for the info my friend, that's interesting :) Thanks a lot, you too pal :) :thumbsup:

That's fantastic, great stuff :) Nice pic too :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info my friend, that's interesting :) Thanks a lot, you too pal :) :thumbsup:
I am no good with computers. I have been trying to work out how to post pics. Getting nowhere. I am going to try and get someone to show me. When i can, will post the picture of my knife so you can compare and see what you think.:thumbsup:

Back