1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I must admit to having been ignorant of that fact despite having hung out here on the porch and trying to soak up information for a while now. Thank you, Gentlemen, for the education.

2. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    That's a nice IXL, do you know what the covers are? :thumbsup:

Thanks Bill, nice pic, I need to spend a couple of hours pulling bindweed off of my brambles :thumbsup:

Hope you had a great time Preston :thumbsup:

The same to you Dwight, smashing pic :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Mark :D That photo is definitely worth posting again :) :thumbsup:

I'm not surprised John :) :thumbsup:

Hey! Nice patina Rachel :cool: :thumbsup:

mitch4ging, pjsjr, donn and 7 others like this.
  3. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Darn kids always causing trouble :rolleyes::oops: The Totem is today's star, maybe I should just call it Tornado :p
    IMG_1165.JPG

peanutsxx, OLd_gUY, Pt-Luso and 15 others like this.
  4. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you very much my friend.

Very cool B&W composition.

Gracias amigo

Thank you Jack.

Smashing colorful Tornado Totem Titan.

mitch4ging, pjsjr, cigarrodog and 3 others like this.
  5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Sounds like a very good day. Glad you had fun. :cool::thumbsup:

cigarrodog, Jack Black and dc50 like this.
  6. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Making me want to bust out my ebony #93!!!

7. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    My bolsters are starting to look like that as well. So cool!

pjsjr, cigarrodog, Modoc ED and 5 others like this.
  8. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Thanks, Taylor. I'm so happy with the Ebony. :)

9. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    Tis True :thumbsup::p

mitch4ging, cigarrodog and Fodderwing like this.
  10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Not generally Christian, but a lot of folks read this thread, and admire the pictures, often thinking that the SFOs are Wright's standard production knives. One of the consequences of this is that one or two dealers are asking Wright's for 'Double A-side' horn because they have had folks contacting them about knives they've seen here, or because they've seen them themselves. However, for most of Wright's customers, I think price remains a major factor, and I think they (Wright's) will try to keep costs down :thumbsup:

Well said Christian. In the old days, the big cutlers had rooms full of quality stag, and employees whose sole job it was to purchase it, select it, store it, and cut it. There were also scores of firms in Sheffield who were 'scale cutters', and from whom small cutlers could obtain the scales or covers ready cut. Not just stag, but bone, ivory, MOP, etc. Sadly, many skills have now been lost :( :thumbsup:

Smashing Sheldon Knife Harvey :thumbsup:

From what I've seen, many of the old boys weren't great at sharpening, or at least they only had coarse stones or the edge of a curbstone. I don't think that the rounding of the tip is inevitable though Christian, and there are plenty of old Lambsfoot knives to demonstrate that. If I remember correctly, the two @r8shell has that have been sharpened almost punch-like still have their tips :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great pic Barry :) I just realised that is a different cap! :cool: :thumbsup:

Excellent Christian, I'm really looking forward to hearing how you get on with it long-term my friend :) :thumbsup:

LOL! Thanks pal :D :thumbsup: Cool pics :thumbsup:

Yes John, I sometimes think it would be easier just to have Delrin covers, then everyone gets the same, and there's no moaning! :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

Yes, just a tad my friend :) Yikes, stay safe brother! :eek: :thumbsup:

:cool: :D :thumbsup:

akaMatt, OLd_gUY, mitch4ging and 16 others like this.
  11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Fantastic pic Dave :) :thumbsup:

Thanks John, I even got coffee and cake, and a couple of pints :) No pics though I'm afraid :( :thumbsup:

:cool: :thumbsup:

12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you Gary, I'm very sorry you had to step in :( Hope everyone will take it on board :thumbsup:

13. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    I suppose a bit more care is in order.
    We're getting along famously Jack. There's something very endearing about an inexpensive, unpretentious, low-maintenance tool. If it dulls, so what? The straight edge is dead simple to hone. A few moments on a bench stone and it's back to being a fearsome cutter.

14. dc50

Aug 14, 2006
    Thank you, Jack. :)

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  15. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo Part time maker, very very part time Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 25, 2012
    I'm lovin that patina, especially on the bolsters. :thumbsup:

Barry, really nice job on the hat....your fingers must be worked to the bone. ;):D

Sticking with my current theme and Betty.
    [​IMG]

16. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I couldn't agree more Christian :) I'm glad you're getting along so well, I thought you would. Simple working men's knives, peasant knives, are always a great thing to get to know :) Those patterns didn't stay around because they are pretty, but because they work, and it's always interesting to experience that I think :thumbsup:

Fantastic pic Kevin! :cool: You have the agility of a cat my friend! :D :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

17. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    To be honest, when I requested my 2019 Guardians knife I didn’t expect it to see much use. Like everyone else here, I’m pretty well fitted for knives, and I didn’t really see a niche for this one.

I’m pleasantly surprised by the fact that this knife has supplanted my Victorinox Farmer as my “go-to” knife for most outdoor tasks. It has earned its keep again today, trimming “non-contorted” branches from my wife’s contorted filbert tree.

0C2EB146-FF32-4D64-A9AE-F9858D5878A3.jpeg

peanutsxx, akaMatt, OLd_gUY and 19 others like this.
  18. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Good morning, you asked what the covers were on Reaper Al's lamb foot, i am pretty sure they are polished rosewood. I have one and it looks identical to mine. Have a good Sunday mate.

Cambertree, dc50 and Jack Black like this.
  19. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    That's fantastic, great stuff :) Nice pic too :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info my friend, that's interesting :) Thanks a lot, you too pal :) :thumbsup:

cigarrodog and dc50 like this.
  20. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    I am no good with computers. I have been trying to work out how to post pics. Getting nowhere. I am going to try and get someone to show me. When i can, will post the picture of my knife so you can compare and see what you think.:thumbsup:

mitch4ging, Cambertree, dc50 and 2 others like this.