Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

It struck me the other day that “lambsfoot” refers both to a recognized pattern (i.e., the classic Sheffield Lambsfoot Knife) and to said pattern’s main, or only, blade. So, we routinely talk here about lambsfoot knives and also knives with lambsfoot blades.

That’s not news to anyone who frequents this thread, but what surprises me is that I haven’t been able to think of any other knives where the exemplar pattern is named after the blade (or vice versa? which came first...?). We don’t tend, e.g., to say “he carried his clip point today” or “she sliced it with her spey” without also, at least implicitly, referring to the pattern, even if it’s just a jack knife.

Is the lambsfoot truly unique in this regard, or am I just failing to identify other examples?
That's an interesting observation.

Absolutely Ron, I'm very much enjoying Dan's pics too :) Well done Dan :) :thumbsup:

Smashing pic of your Rosewood Hartshead Barlow :)

Hi Guardians, I didn't quite get time to catch up and post my carry earlier, so it's mid afternoon here now. Hope everyone's Friday is going well :) I thought I'd treat myself to a Double Lambsfoot Day ;) :thumbsup:

UYMq06E.jpg

CN7TJHG.jpg
Thanks for the compliment Jack! :) A “Daily Double” is great any day but it’s Double nice on a Friday! ;) I hope you have a great weekend my friend! :D

Both beauties in Stag Gary but that Ashley sure is purdy;):thumbsup:
Your Man Jack is nice stag, GT... but your AC is fantastic! :thumbsup:
Two beautiful Stag Lambs, GT. :cool::thumbsup:
And very nice they are GT :) :thumbsup:

Yet another intriguing photo, Dan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Is that some kind of cast iron pipe?

That makes two of us Gary! :thumbsup: :D
;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

5K Qs 5K Qs Thank you GT. The background is in the Childrens’ portion of the park where they use chalk to draw on. When you shoot standing up, the surface looks much smoother. I like to get very close, on my knees, to show detail. Those Stag Lambfoot knives of yours makes for a winning pair.
Thanks for the stag compliment, Harvey. :)
Thanks also for the info about the background in one of your superb pics. :cool::cool: So the black is maybe asphalt and the orange is chalk?

Thank you, GT! And I agree with your perception. Very nice Stag duo!
irudXVD.jpg
Hearty amber ale and ebony lamb, Dylan! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
My perception about the two threads is rather garbled since I referred to "average post link" instead of "average post length"; sorry! :(:rolleyes:
Thanks for your stag kindness, too. :)

It struck me the other day that “lambsfoot” refers both to a recognized pattern (i.e., the classic Sheffield Lambsfoot Knife) and to said pattern’s main, or only, blade. So, we routinely talk here about lambsfoot knives and also knives with lambsfoot blades.

That’s not news to anyone who frequents this thread, but what surprises me is that I haven’t been able to think of any other knives where the exemplar pattern is named after the blade (or vice versa? which came first...?). We don’t tend, e.g., to say “he carried his clip point today” or “she sliced it with her spey” without also, at least implicitly, referring to the pattern, even if it’s just a jack knife.

Is the lambsfoot truly unique in this regard, or am I just failing to identify other examples?
Greg, isn't "Wharncliffe" a similar example of an adjective applied to both a specific pattern and a particular blade shape? Here's a link to something Jack Black Jack Black once posted regarding the Wharncliffe pattern:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ya-totin-today.547127/page-5775#post-18075278

Good morning, Guardians!
zEeJaPI.jpg
Jack and Vince, those are splendid shots of your stag HHBs! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Good morning Guardians, today with bone lime/lemon.;):thumbsup:

I like jigged bone lambsfoot knives; thanks, José and Matt! :):thumbsup::cool:

Man Jack demands more attention (maybe I should change his name to deMand Jack :rolleyes:):
MJ.pile.V.wisteria.jpg

- GT

Headed out in a few minutes to our local hospital for a couple more or three biopsies. I'm going to carry my Stag Hartshead Barlow just in case the surgeon forgets to bring his punch/scalpel.

R7KGnNF.jpg

All I've got to say is that they better have a lollipop/sucker for me after the surgery. The last time they were out of them and when they called yesterday to verify my appointment, I let them know in no uncertain terms that I wanted a sucker.

Your advice regarding the staff sounds familiar, Vince, and made me snort with food in my mouth. :thumbsup::thumbsup::D
There's no doubt that Jack is the watery king, but your pics are still impressive to a nonresident of Texas who equates "Texas" with "dry", regardless of how unfactual that may be. :rolleyes:
That's a creek in a park in the small town where I work. I should try to get more beach and bayfront pics from the city where I live.
kpr7o6M.jpg

OW0Kr5r.jpg

toPiXtO.jpg

Td8VZV6.jpg

All I've got to say is that they better have a lollipop/sucker for me after the surgery. The last time they were out of them and when they called yesterday to verify my appointment, I let them know in no uncertain terms that I wanted a sucker.
Take two, they owe you one from last time. Best wishes for your health.

Edit - Sorry folks, just reading on my phone, and I missed this page, and GT's reply to Greg's post. I'll edit out my own reply, the less said about that other straight-edge pattern here the better ;) :D :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hooray, it's officially the weekend down here in Oz and I've caught up on the thread too!

Thanks very much for the comments on my last post, my friends - I'll refrain from taking you all in the Wayback Time Machine, by multiquoting from back then, though.:oops:

Nice to see Rachel's smooth white bone suggestion for a future Guardians run getting some traction.

I'd favour camel bone too - I think it tends to be denser and stronger than cattle bone. Might I suggest that steel fittings and liners be considered again in that case? All I can think of when I look at a white bone covered knife with brass pins and liner scales, is how they will eventually be marred by ugly verdigris stains.

It's great to see all the quality contributions from new members recently, as well as the Guardians stalwarts.

Dennis, I hope you're feeling better and you've got things stable again, my friend.

Jeff, I'm glad you had your op, and it seems to have been successful. Heal up well, I'm sure you'll be back to fighting fit in no time.

Dave, please pass along my best wishes to Linda, and that I hope she gets some relief soon.

Fantastic walking sticks, Mark and Jack. Thanks for those links on Diamond Willow and the Loess Hills, Mark - they made for fascinating reading.

Vince, you made me burst out laughing with your Robin Hood style pate smiting comment!

I carry a Lambsfoot because it's a handy, high calibre, cutting companion!

XQ1BYAx.jpg

How 'bout you?;)

Hooray, it's officially the weekend down here in Oz and I've caught up on the thread too!

Thanks very much for the comments on my last post, my friends - I'll refrain from taking you all in the Wayback Time Machine, by multiquoting from back then, though.:oops:

Nice to see Rachel's smooth white bone suggestion for a future Guardians run getting some traction.

I'd favour camel bone too - I think it tends to be denser and stronger than cattle bone. Might I suggest that steel fittings and liners be considered again in that case? All I can think of when I look at a white bone covered knife with brass pins and liner scales, is how they will eventually be marred by ugly verdigris stains.

It's great to see all the quality contributions from new members recently, as well as the Guardians stalwarts.

Dennis, I hope you're feeling better and you've got things stable again, my friend.

Jeff, I'm glad you had your op, and it seems to have been successful. Heal up well, I'm sure you'll be back to fighting fit in no time.

Dave, please pass along my best wishes to Linda, and that I hope she gets some relief soon.

Fantastic walking sticks, Mark and Jack. Thanks for those links on Diamond Willow and the Loess Hills, Mark - they made for fascinating reading.

Vince, you made me burst out laughing with your Robin Hood style pate smiting comment!

I carry a Lambsfoot because it's a handy, high calibre, cutting companion!

XQ1BYAx.jpg

How 'bout you?;)
Great post and great pic, Chin! :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians - hope everyone has a great Friday with a wonderful weekend to follow.
For some strange reason, I woke up thinking of that line in The Blues Brothers where they are in Bob's Country Bunker and Belushi asks "What kind of music do you have here, ma'am?" She says "Oh - we have both kinds, Country and Western" ;)
8_23_FlashFri_AAuto_Crop_FF_HDR.jpg

The wharncliffe?

Headed out in a few minutes to our local hospital for a couple more or three biopsies. I'm going to carry my Stag Hartshead Barlow just in case the surgeon forgets to bring his punch/scalpel.

R7KGnNF.jpg

Sending you smoke and best wishes for a good outcome today, Ed. If you can, please show an image of a Lambsfoot with a lolipop(s).:):thumbsup: A fine image of your Hartshead Barlow.

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thanks GT. Yes...Simply chalk and park-friendly asphalt. One can never get enough of Man Jack. Trust me.:)

Prester John Prester John - You live in beautiful surroundings. Perfect for images of your fine Lambsfoot collection, Vince.

JohnDF JohnDF - Spot on image of your Lambsfoot.

@CelloDan - Great images.

Cambertree Cambertree - G’day Chin. Great ideas.

Jack Black Jack Black - Thank you Jack. You are well equipped with your brace of Lambs.

Good Morning Guardians. Here’s to a great weekend for all.
0EB379BD-9B43-44AD-A70A-1CDD03BE94D0_zpspmzr6bey.jpeg

Great post and great pic, Chin! :thumbsup:
Thank you kindly Vince, it's just a quick post, before I go to sleep. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll wake up tomorrow morning and the Guardians Express will have steamed off over the horizon again!:oops::D

I've got some serious Lambsfoot slicin', Pie 'n' Pasty eatin', investigative reportage to file with GT and the rest of y'all too.:D;)

It's all David's @donn fault!:D:p:)

Quick pic for now:

e7lblQj.jpg

P.S. Greg - not to get too far OT regarding other patterns, but if I'm not mistaken, the Ettrick is referred to as a blade type as well as a pattern by Sheffield cutlers too.;)

Ed, I hope things go well with your procedure too.

Last edited:
Back