Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Aren't those armadillos funny looking things. Reminds me of a dinosaur.:D
Hedgehogs are supposedly becoming endangered in the UK (probably because people keep driving over them :rolleyes:) but we have I think three in our back garden. They are though nocturnal so it's hard to keep track of them.
'Dillos are odd prehistoric looking things. I don't think they're endangered, but I lived here for years without seeing a live one. Lots and lots of dead ones in the road, though. :(

pXjrCpz.jpg
Cool old tool, David. :cool::thumbsup:
Is it marked off in standard degrees or metric? ;)

'Dillos are odd prehistoric looking things. I don't think they're endangered, but I lived here for years without seeing a live one. Lots and lots of dead ones in the road, though. :(

Aye that's the same for the hedgehog. People keep arguing about what's causing the decline in their numbers. But for me there's no mystery; when I'm out cycling I come across dozens of squashed hedgehogs.:(

Cool old tool, David. :cool::thumbsup:
Is it marked off in standard degrees or metric? ;)

Oh it's very old though I'm not sure just how old. It was given to me by my grandad when I was a kid. It appears to be marked off in Imperial 16th's but it could be degrees?
oKA1kCl.jpg

That's very cool, thanks for sharing it. :cool::thumbsup:

Your welcome. I've always thought that there probably for maritime navigation but never had any proof. But I saw some very similar when I visited both the Historic Dockyards in Portsmouth and the preserved battlecruiser HMS Belfast on the Thames in London.

Nice pics with your granddad's dividers David :thumbsup:

Your welcome. I've always thought that there probably for maritime navigation but never had any proof. But I saw some very similar when I visited both the Historic Dockyards in Portsmouth and the preserved battlecruiser HMS Belfast on the Thames in London.

I've seen them referred to as Naval Dividers or Maritime Dividers, but I think they were in more general use. My mate occassionally has them on his tool stall :thumbsup:

I guess I'm equipped to go hiking with this Rosewood "Big-un". A compass to guide the way and the Morse Code on a Zippo lighter to send a message in case of trouble and build a fire for comfort while I wait for help.

YqQ45n9.jpg

Disclaimer: What with my bad knees etc., I don't do any hiking anymore but it's always nice to be prepared.

I guess I'm equipped to go hiking with this Rosewood "Big-un". A compass to guide the way and the Morse Code on a Zippo lighter to send a message in case of trouble and build a fire for comfort while I wait for help.

YqQ45n9.jpg

Disclaimer: What with my bad knees etc., I don't do any hiking anymore but it's always nice to be prepared.

As you say Ed, it's always nice to be prepared :) :thumbsup:

YqQ45n9.jpg

Throw in a whistle and you're all set.
But let's hope you never need them in emergency. :)

Nice pics with your granddad's dividers David :thumbsup:
I've seen them referred to as Naval Dividers or Maritime Dividers, but I think they were in more general use. My mate occassionally has them on his tool stall :thumbsup:

Thanks for clearing that up Jack :thumbsup: I've no proof but I reckon my grandad acquired them at one of the various auctions the U.S military held at RAF Burtonwood after WWII. :thumbsup:

YqQ45n9.jpg

Looks like your all set there. But I've got to admit that I only take my rosewood lambsfoot out on my walks to slice the pie I take for my lunch. :D:thumbsup:

The Extraordinary Adventures of Linus the Lambsfoot!

Well my time with Linus has come to an end. Enjoyed carrying him around and using him. He did help with putting out deer blocks one day.
IMG_2256 1.jpg

And now off to his next adventure with @Wild Ben
IMG_2289 1.jpg

Thanks to @Pàdruig for the opportunity and I look forward to where else he gets to go and do.

Due to some new arrivals, I feel I've been neglecting my flock a bit. Going to change that tomorrow. I've got the HHB ready to go for the morning.

See ya later, Alligator...
N0gIJih.jpg

...After a while, Crocodile :D

Jack Black Jack Black - Much thanks Jack. Such a wonderful place for you to traipse around with your Hartshead and your three assault weapon guarding lady friends.

JohnDF JohnDF - Thank you John. Always a pleasure to see your African Rosewood Lamb.

donn donn - Thank you David. What beautiful old tool that your grandfather gifted you with. I’m ceratainly no expert, but in my attempt to research, it seems that it is a Pexto #8 machinist wing divider compass. A gorgeous antique.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_(drawing_tool)#Variants

https://archive.org/details/PeckStowAndWilcoxCatalogueNo20/mode/2up

Last edited:
Back