Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Nice line-up Tim :thumbsup:

Thanks Gary, my mate with the tool-stall had the can, so I took a photo opportunity ;) Congratulations on your mammoth post my friend :thumbsup:

Great pic :) :thumbsup:

I actually thought of you when I was eating the mushrooms Vince! :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan, you guys make the the thread special :) Great seeing your ebony Lambsfoot out and about :) :thumbsup:

I thought that was a 'beverages' post at first! :eek: Sorry to hear about your ailments Willie, particularly at such a young age :( I am going to have to do some research into lineament :thumbsup:

I lived in the Middle East for a couple of years, though Turkish Delight was not new to me. The type with pistachios is about the best I've had, but none of it is very exciting, and I can't remember the last time I had it. Maybe it tasted better if you'd just crossed the Sahara on a camel? When I was a kid, one of the old British confectionery companies heavily advertised a chocolate-covered sickly-sweet product they called Turkish Delight - "Full of Eastern Promise"! :D

You should see if they'll sponsor you Harvey! :D :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, I hope all our US members enjoy celebrating George Washington's Birthday, and that everyone else has a gentle start to the week. Here's something to blow the cobwebs away! ;) :thumbsup:

And I thought I'd start my week off with my Hartshead Barlow ;) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

2. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Many thanks, Gary.:):thumbsup:

3. donn

donn Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 14, 2002
    It's been shut for the past 4 years apparently because of 'difficult trading conditions'. As to what's difficult about owning a gold-mine of a pub which sits on one of the busiest cross-Peak roads in the Peak District I don't know. :rolleyes:
    What I do know is that the brewery didn't want to spend money on it. I've got it on good authority that they'd allowed it to deteriorate to such a poor condition snow used to blown in around the window frames, the water system would freeze, the oil fired heating system would freeze and you literally couldn't swing a cat in the kitchen. And the less said about the state of the roof the better.:rolleyes:
    But apparently it's going to be fully renovated and reopen under a partnership of the brewery and a local distillery, though I'm assuming the work is beginning in the spring.

Just after it was shut.:(
    [​IMG]

A finer tour of your local bakery :D:thumbsup:

Thanks Dennis. There 'Snowdrops' which flower January/February.
    It looks like you need to plant some in your garden there. :):thumbsup:
    And I envy your fire.:(

Only 188 calories! You'd think more wouldn't you. I guess it's skate it off, drink it back on again. :D
    Great shots as always. :thumbsup:

What a beautiful picture. I'm not sure what you guys call that but here in the UK when ice forms like that it's called 'ryme'.

Aye they did, but I reckon it's a mite extreme for the flu. :D
    [​IMG]

2 stone lighter and wearing 34inch jeans I reckon...:D

Consider my cobwebs blown. :thumbsup:

A random recycled picture for today's carry.
    [​IMG]

I hope everyone's week begins smoothly. :thumbsup:

4. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Just be sure to avoid the area marked in the top left corner of the map you have shown. You might find some fellow knife collectors there. :confused::confused::confused:

Ramrodmb, mitch4ging, donn and 3 others like this.
  5. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Thanks Jack. It's pretty much par for the course in my line of work (and anyone who has a difficult job physically). It could always be worse. At least rubbing a little ointment on and popping a couple of aspirin pretty much take care of it... 1581942134252920578934.jpg
    Have a good one everyone.

6. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Basic Member Basic Member

May 21, 2019
    Good morning Guardians. It's manic Monday for me. 1st order of business is to get my HHB out and about. IMG_1292.JPG

[​IMG]

7. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    If we have to talk you into it, it's probably not the pattern for you. ;)

There's something familiar about that old fellow, maybe it's the nose. ;):thumbsup:

Fixed it for you, Jack. :D

8. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Good Morning Guardians
    It's the start of a new week and I'm ready for some adventure.
    [​IMG]

9. Wild Ben

Wild Ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Time for the Extraordinary Linus to get cleaned up! First, a little sharpening on the diamond hone, IMG_1982.JPG then a nice smooth edge on the black Arkansas stone. IMG_1987.JPG Just a spot o' nice linseed oil rubbed in gently to keep his ebony from drying out. IMG_1989.JPG And not seen: a drop of lubricating oil in the joint. Ahhhh! IMG_1988.JPG Ready for action!!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  10. SnackPack

SnackPack

Nov 21, 2019
    I’ve been working with a shop out of Llanrwst to get an ebony A. Wright. They’ve been very responsive and are willing to help pick me out one with good blade centering and spring gaps etc. Hoping to get a good one, looking forward to it and grateful they are willing to do that since I’m a few thousand miles away...

11. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Where's your sonic screwdriver, John?
    :D:D:D

cigarrodog, mitch4ging and Jack Black like this.
  12. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Linus is getting spoiled... Nice work. :cool::thumbsup:

Sadly, I left it at work on my desk. :(

13. donn

Sep 14, 2002
    Haha not any more.:D It's been sold off to be developed into the inevitable swanky executive apartments which will be sold at prices that would make your eyes water. :rolleyes:

14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    That's terrible! o_O I hope it re-opens soon David, when I was a lad, The Cat & Fiddle was a really famous pub with ramblers :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

I think I've got about a dozen pairs in a suitcase on top of my wardrobe! :rolleyes:

I thought you might like that :D A lot better than the buskers we get in Leeds :rolleyes: Nice horn David :cool: :thumbsup:

Lunatic asylum's seem to be a common feature of old maps here! :eek:

I hope it doesn't get worse as you get older my friend :thumbsup:

Nice colour to that Sambar stag Bill :thumbsup:

Thanks John :D :thumbsup:

Wishing you happy adventures my friend, excellent pic :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for taking such great care of Linus Ben, it looks like he's been well and truly coddled! :D Cool pics :thumbsup: Mark has checked in today (might have been yesterday, as my settings are set to UK time), so hopefully he'll see your post before too long :) :thumbsup:

Hope you get a good one :) As per my first post and the sub-forum guidelines though, we talk about the knives here, not the buying process, particularly as this is not a BF-supporting business :thumbsup:

15. SnackPack

SnackPack

Nov 21, 2019
    :thumbsup:

Jack Black likes this.
  16. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Thanks, Jack. I haven't even left the house yet, but I'm prepared if I do. :D

mitch4ging and Jack Black like this.
  17. donn

Sep 14, 2002
    It still would be today. It's also always been a huge bikers pub but the A537 is busy enough with all kinds of traffic for it to be successful. In the 10 minutes I was stood their when I took that snowy picture about a dozen cars must of pulled into the car park then driven off when they saw it was closed.
    I love those old pictures.:thumbsup: That building at the bottom is now a tearoom or cafe type of thing.

I admire your optimism. :D I admitted defeat and dumped all mine in a charity clothes bin...:(

cigarrodog and mitch4ging like this.
  18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    The photos are from Poucher's Peak & Pennines, which introduced me to some great walks as a kid. Sadly I no longer have the first edition, which contains advice (with photos) on boot-nailing patterns :D :thumbsup:

You might be mistaking optimism for Yorkshire tight-fistedness mate :D Actually, when I think about it, I have given the 34's away, but I have just as many 36's! :rolleyes:

19. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I’ve been working this morning adding some pull out cabinet organizers to a couple of our bottom cabinets. I decided to have lunch with a Lambsfoot! ;) Hope y’all have a great day. :D

[​IMG]

20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Great choice Ron :) I'm looking forward to Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras) tomorrow :) :thumbsup:

These are what I had, with Lucy, last year, but I'm definitely going to be going elsewhere for my pancakes this year :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]