Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I still had boxes of high quality boots from my testing days, but the sole units of some of them have just disintegrated, apparently it can happen within 5 years of them being manufactured.

Two years ago that happened to a pair of mine while backpacking. Chunks of the midsole just started coming off. The sole of one of my companions’ boots also delaminated. By the time we finished the trip we’d run through all of our emergency duct tape and resorted to paracord to hold our boots together.

dkaXvmHh.jpg

The next year, the sole of one of my other companion’s boots failed on the trail. All three of us now have new boots. Hopefully we’ll be OK for several years. But, with all of our purchases aligned in time, perhaps we are setting ourselves up for an epic boot failure in a future trip... :eek:

Good thinking, Greg! :cool::thumbsup::cool: My wife has stored a couple of things in the oven that ended up getting ruined when we forgot they were there and started to preheat the oven. One was a dozen big deli bagels in a plastic bag, and the other was a fancy birthday cake for our daughter when she was quite young (cake was still OK, but all the icing melted off it).

Let’s just say that the idea was born from past experience in my case as well.... :D

Twice-baked birthday cake... now that has a ring to it! Why should it just be for potatoes?

It's about time! (and dimension):p:thumbsup:
Bazinga... :D:thumbsup:

Cool photo my friend!:cool::thumbsup:
Thank you, Dennis. :)

Your WCLF is looking great!;)

We had camping reservations with our trailer, but the campgrounds closed!:mad:
That's the way it's been going.
I'm very sorry you had to cancel your plans.
I know getting out and doing some camping and fishing is your zen.
Hopefully by Summer time things will start returning to normal, or there may be a revolt. ;)

What weight are you using? 4/5ish?
I believe it's 5/6 oz.
I tried some 3/4 oz., but it was too thin.

Looking real good, John!

Weapons through the ages... :cool::thumbsup:

The food looks amazing, as does the Hartshead. :cool::thumbsup:

John that looks great; you've got some talent there sir. :thumbsup:
Thank you, David. :)
I did it for a living years ago, it's taking a short while to get back in practice.

That's incredible lacing, John! :cool::thumbsup::cool: What's that kind of stitch called?
Thank you, GT. :)
The method I used on that one is a Double Loop.
There is Single, Double, and Triple depending on the thickness of the project.

Tremendous triumvirate of lambs foots, John! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Thank you, GT. :)

Hope Lamb Jack served you well, GT. :cool::thumbsup:

They do make an excellent mayonnaise! :D It’s a bit hard to find up here in MN, but there are a few places that carry it. Thankfully I’m stocked up; I think I may put some of it to good use next week and make some pimento cheese (as long as everyone else hasn’t panic-bought the other ingredients I need!) :confused:

We may have to change the name of this thread to “Guardians of the Lambsfoot; Bread, Boots and Condiments discussed, also.” ;) :D I swear this one was unintentional; I hadn’t caught up on all the condiment talk when I snapped this pic of my HHB with the tastiest part of a sort of hodgepodge dinner we had tonight — pigs in blankets (British-style) with some English mustard. :thumbsup:

ykOoIHH.jpg
I'm surprised they sell Dukes that far north Barrett! Since it's an old time southern brand from North Carolina. :thumbsup: Those pigs look delicious and the Rosewood Hartshead fits right in there! :cool: :)

Great Grains, Ron!:):thumbsup:

Have a great Sunday, Guardians!:thumbsup:

6bjzaca.jpg
Thanks for the kind words! :) Looking good this morning Dennis! :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is doing OK and keeping well :) No bread for my toast this morning, but I managed ;) Enjoy your Sunday folks :thumbsup:

a6JIoq4.jpg
Jack, not only do the Guardians have excellent taste in Cutlery, it appears we all have some keen Culinary talents! :thumbsup: The stag HHB is right at home in any setting! :thumbsup: :D

The clowns aren't running the circus. The clowns are just running around the circus. There's a difference. :rolleyes::D
Indeed there is David! ;) :D

Potato pancake is what my grandmother used to call them. She would have leftover mashed potatoes and make them up somehow...I never got the recipe:(. I've tried to make them various ways but they just fall apart on me:mad:. I remember how good they were when I was just a kid:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

I wonder if she used flour too, as some folks too? When I was a kid, they were usually a way of using up leftover mashed potato and vegetables. I'm sure you could find a recipe online. I do recall once using flour some years ago, but that was to make more of a bread. I just usually squash everything together into a ball, flatten it down into a 'cake', and fry both sides. As long as the mash isn't too moist, it usually works fine, but I guess you could always try using one of those burger presses? :thumbsup:

Two years ago that happened to a pair of mine while backpacking. Chunks of the midsole just started coming off. The sole of one of my companions’ boots also delaminated. By the time we finished the trip we’d run through all of our emergency duct tape and resorted to paracord to hold our boots together.

dkaXvmHh.jpg

The next year, the sole of one of my other companion’s boots failed on the trail. All three of us now have new boots. Hopefully we’ll be OK for several years. But, with all of our purchases aligned in time, perhaps we are setting ourselves up for an epic boot failure in a future trip... :eek:

Let’s just say that the idea was born from past experience in my case as well.... :D

Twice-baked birthday cake... now that has a ring to it! Why should it just be for potatoes?

I actually posted a thread about the issue 7 years ago! It's even weirder when you pull out a new-looking pair of boots, and you can just push your fingers into the sole/midsole. They look fine, apart from having a slightly wet-looking sheen, but they're as tough as cottage cheese! o_O Considering how much these boots cost, that's a pretty shocking tale Greg. It happened to me last year, I was heading out for a walk about 30 miles away, and had gone for something to eat in a small local town first. I looked down and my boot soles were hanging off because the midsoles had dissolved :eek: I managed to buy a pair of Salomon trail-running shoes in order to complete the walk, but I could only get the size below, so I paid £55 for a pair of shoes I wore once o_O :thumbsdown:

The food looks amazing, as does the Hartshead. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you John, it was quite tasty :)

Good Morning Guardians
If I hear, "I've got you Babe" one more time... :mad::p:D
My office mug... I'm glad I brought it home to be washed before we were told not to go back.

LOL! :D I was going to post one of the numerous 'waking up' compilations from Groundhog Day yesterday, but frankly, they were all too depressing! :rolleyes:

Cool pic John :cool: :thumbsup:

Jack, not only do the Guardians have excellent taste in Cutlery, it appears we all have some keen Culinary talents! :thumbsup: The stag HHB is right at home in any setting! :thumbsup: :D

Thanks buddy :D :thumbsup:

AZTJFtC.jpg

Last edited:
A little sharpening was on the agenda this morning.

View attachment 1315994

I've been enjoying using this little Worksharp @Reaper AL kindly gifted me a while back :) I keep it on my coffee table in a small canvas bag, and it allows me to touch up my knives without having to get all my sharpening gear out :thumbsup:

I believe I'll carry my Waynorth Cutlery jigged bone Lambsfoot today! ;) Please be safe out there Guardians! :) :thumbsup:

49477557827_0a5d2dbdbc_o.jpg

Nice Sunday Special Ron ;) :thumbsup:

Boy, it sure takes a while to catch up here, even more than usual!
Indeed!:cool::thumbsup:
Great shot Vince!;)
Thanks, Dennis!

I've always had the impression that Paul Simon is quite clever. ;)
Yes, I think so too. And we share a birthday (different year).
What about Art Garfunkel, with that 'high-forehead' and preppy look?! :D :thumbsup:
Him too, I guess. I remember on his website, he had a list of every book he's read, I think going back to the 1960's, at least. Not a lot of fluff on the list.

That looks fantastic Dan :cool: :thumbsup:

Beautiful!

Beautiful Coco-bowl-o, Dan! :thumbsup: :D

Beautiful shot, Dan! Definitely some good looking terrain!:):thumbsup:

Another awsome photo my friend!:thumbsup:

Stunning photo, Dan!:eek::thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians :)
Thank you for the kind words :)

OuAAVEp.jpg

Today I plan on organizing my shop and perhaps start some turning.
Trying to decide between an ambrosia maple and a mahogany blanks for my first bowl of 2020.

VJeAija.jpg

Now you've gone and jinxed it... :D

:D

I actually posted a thread about the issue 7 years ago! It's even weirder when you pull out a new-looking pair of boots, and you can just push your fingers into the sole/midsole. They look fine, apart from having a slightly wet-looking sheen, but they're as tough as cottage cheese! o_O Considering how much these boots cost, that's a pretty shocking tale Greg. It happened to me last year, I was heading out for a walk about 30 miles away, and had gone for something to eat in a small local town first. I looked down and my boot soles were hanging off because the midsoles had dissolved :eek: I managed to buy a pair of Salomon trail-running shoes in order to complete the walk, but I could only get the size below, so I paid £55 for a pair of shoes I wore once o_O :thumbsdown:

Infuriating, isn't it? I suppose at one point the manufacturers could be excused for not having long term data on how the materials hold up. Now, though, I think it may be chalked up to planned obsolescence or consumers now replacing things for shinier new models before they hit this point.

Edit to add: or likely a combination of the two: consumers not being willing to pay for something that will last when they think they'll replace it before the end of its life for other reasons.

Back