Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thank you saying 'Hello' :) That's very interesting, when did you get to have a look at Mallory's knife, can you tell us anymore about it? I visited Kent many times when I was younger, decades ago, but have not been for a while, except for passing through. I hope you're getting better weather than we are in Yorkshire this week :rolleyes: Hopefully you can find yourself a decent Lambsfoot, maybe even an older one with some history (the modern Sheffield jigged bone models lack character). If you've not yet discovered it, the early part of this thread is indexed to make it easier to find posts, with the posts on Mallory's knife here :thumbsup:

Here's a nice old jigged bone Lambsfoot I was gifted by a fellow Guardian :) :thumbsup:

4pS2Ouz.jpg

Lovely pic David :) :thumbsup:
I saw Mallory's knife at the Royal Geographical Society along with other artefacts retrieved when his body was found.

"[That] land you knew will still be singing, when you [go] home again to Wales."
vxklIjv.jpg

(The slate beer-mats are from Pennsylvania, and Capel Cerrig is in the village of Remsen in New York.)

Nice composition Jer :thumbsup:

It's good for the fabric.

I'm not worried about the fabric, I'm worried about looking incontinent! :eek: o_O :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack! Hope you’re having a good day too my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Surviving thanks Ron ;) :thumbsup:

I saw Mallory's knife at the Royal Geographical Society along with other artefacts retrieved when his body was found.

That must have been fantastic :) I'm a former climber myself, and have a stack of books on Mallory. I was a fan of the Lambsfoot pattern long before his body was found, and so the discovery was important to me in several ways. I'd love to try and recreate it, but working with the Sheffield cutlers isn't straightforward unfortunately.

Very nice. I wonder if there are any knives made in Wales?

So far as I know, Wales has no history of cutlery manufacture. Once Sheffield became established as a cutlery capital, even cutlery production in other established centres, such as London and Shrewsbury went into decline, since it was difficult for them to compete. There may be custom knife makers in Wales though :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack! I've really enjoyed toting the AC (although it hasn't been many days in a row yet). It is such a good size.

Glad you're enjoying carrying it Joshua :) While the blade is only fractionally smaller than on its bigger brothers, the smaller frame makes for a very different carry doesn't it? I was pretty lukewarm about the small size Lambsfoot prior to the ACs, but I really warmed to it :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1446570
Ezra asked for some Mahi Mahi too, and it was in the budget so now Cod, Salmon, and Mahi Mahi

Looks like your AC has had a busy day Joshua :) Hope Ezra is having a great birthday :) I can remember my 3rd birthday, and my 5th, but my 7th kind of just fades in with all the rest :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

but working with the Sheffield cutlers isn't straightforward unfortunately.
Very interesting mate, as you well know cutlery is so hard to purchase down here in the Antipodes, so just by pure coincidence i was only informed by email this morning that i will have a 3-4 week wait while a cutting implement is made for me. Be interesting to see how it turns out.
1sGi7T3.jpg

Just to justify my post.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;).

Another shot of my sole lambsfoot.
1070190682_o.jpg

How are you getting on with it Dave? :thumbsup:

Very interesting mate, as you well know cutlery is so hard to purchase down here in the Antipodes, so just by pure coincidence i was only informed by email this morning that i will have a 3-4 week wait while a cutting implement is made for me. Be interesting to see how it turns out.
1sGi7T3.jpg

Just to justify my post.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;).

Hope you get a good one Leon :) Nice to see your Snakewood Candle-end :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, hope everyone is having a good Halloween weekend :) Not sure we'll get any Trick Or Treaters this year, but I might watch a couple of Hammer Horror films later ;) Carrying my Hartshead Barlow for now, but maybe I'll switch to something darker this evening :D Have a great day Guardians :) :thumbsup:

QUPqqvQ.jpg

On the way back from Portland, Oregon yesterday, I picked up a couple of pints of "Everclear" at a liquor store in Klamath Falls, Oregon. This stuff i"ll knock your socks off!!:eek:
Lol 2 questions 1 How do you drink this stuff and not loose your knife and 2 Have you recovered yet

CclbOUV.jpg

Back