Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

After the snow, we had a hard freeze. Sun is out now though, so I hope the parsley will bounce back...
oLwMnz8.jpg

Good morning Guardians! I hope y’all have a safe Halloween and don’t eat too much candy! ;) I’m carrying a wee Sambar this morning. Hopefully I won’t need anything larger later on! :eek:

50093836447_1c458990f7_o_d.jpg

Stay safe Ron! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

I didn't think it as possible to make a blank post :confused:

I never did get around to carving that pumpkin. Maybe I'll freeze it before I throw it out.
lImmY7p.jpg

Save it for next year mate ;) :thumbsup:

Going camping today with my three older boys and some men and sons from the school. Should be fun!

View attachment 1446814

Have a great time Joshua :) :thumbsup:

Ace pic Dwight :cool: :) :thumbsup:

After the snow, we had a hard freeze. Sun is out now though, so I hope the parsley will bounce back...
oLwMnz8.jpg

Fingers crossed Dave :thumbsup:

Nice to see your '19 Kevin :) :thumbsup:

Will give a report when it lobs, hopefully before Christmas, which by the way ins not too far off. And i must admit, Candle-end's are my favorite handles on a knife, i just like em' and they feel really comfortable in the hand, but that is just me.o_O:rolleyes::thumbsup:

I generally prefer a Swayback, but I enjoy carrying my Hartshead Barlow of course ;) :) :thumbsup:

From what I heard on the radio this morning, it sounds like we are going into a half-assed national lockdown on Monday - schools, colleges, and universities exempt o_O I'm not sure it'll make a huge difference to me :rolleyes: I ended up sticking with my Hartshead Barlow today, helped me finish off the slingshots I've been working on :) Hope everyone is having a good Halloween :) :thumbsup:

QLZ3gku.jpg

Txp2Fgz.jpg

Stay safe Ron! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

I generally prefer a Swayback, but I enjoy carrying my Hartshead Barlow of course ;) :) :thumbsup:

From what I heard on the radio this morning, it sounds like we are going into a half-assed national lockdown on Monday - schools, colleges, and universities exempt o_O I'm not sure it'll make a huge difference to me :rolleyes: I ended up sticking with my Hartshead Barlow today, helped me finish off the slingshots I've been working on :) Hope everyone is having a good Halloween :) :thumbsup:

QLZ3gku.jpg

Txp2Fgz.jpg
Nice slingshots Jack! :thumbsup: I heard on our news channel this afternoon that there were several European countries that were going under lockdown starting Monday. :( Stay safe my friend! :)

How are you getting on with it Dave?
I carried it for a week when it first came in, and a couple times since. I do like the blade shape and overall feel of the knife in hand. Rather disappointed in the edge retention though. To the point I question the heat treat.

I wanted to get one last trip to the high country before the snow comes, so I went to Mitchell Peak in Kings Canyon NP. And what good is a walk in the wilds without a lambsfoot in your pocket?
fNwrJgk.jpg

The wildfire smoke wasn't as bad as I was expecting, it was only a problem in the views toward the east and south.
00GTNLH.jpg

IhL6uek.jpg

cdklWX6.jpg

qHDDnnu.jpg

I wanted to get one last trip to the high country before the snow comes, so I went to Mitchell Peak in Kings Canyon NP. And what good is a walk in the wilds without a lambsfoot in your pocket?
fNwrJgk.jpg

The wildfire smoke wasn't as bad as I was expecting, it was only a problem in the views toward the east and south.
00GTNLH.jpg

IhL6uek.jpg

cdklWX6.jpg

qHDDnnu.jpg
Simply fantastic scenery and photos.:p:cool::thumbsup:

I wonder how our friend Harvey @cigarrodog is doing, I don't recall seeing him here for a while :( Sure hope he's doing OK :thumbsup: Few other absent Guardians too, hope they're all doing well. mitch4ging mitch4ging , you're due a check-in Dennis ;) :thumbsup:
I’ve noticed Harvey and Dennis both missing.
Howdy all!!
Back in the saddle again. Been an interesting couple of weeks! :confused:

I was hoping to see some that have been away, hope Harvey, DC50 Dave and Old_Guy are ok.
Good morning Guardians! :thumbsup: Rosie and I are enjoying our coffee while listening to the rain from Tropical Storm Zeta as it moves through the area! Y’all have a safe day! :) :thumbsup:

46015669214_a75a76f365_b_d.jpg
Rosie is looking great, Ron!:thumbsup:
Glad Zeta didn't hit you guys too hard! The gulf coast has had a bad season of hurricanes this year!:(
Hope everyone is having a good day :) I was down in the market for 7.30am today, and it has rained all day, but it was good to get out of the house and have some social contact :) :thumbsup:

vbktzIu.jpg
Glad you got out for a bit, Jack! Love the shot of your HHB!;):thumbsup:

With the cold and rain outside, I'm warming up with a hot pie! ;) :D :thumbsup:

T6kTkcN.jpg
Now you're talking! Great looking combo, Jack!:D:thumbsup:
Getting ready for a COVID-19 audit today.
View attachment 1445774
Hope your audit went well Chuck! Be glad when this thing finally dies out!!:mad:
Have a great day y'all.
img_5409-jpeg.1445782
Awsome shot, Dwight! Great looking DamRam!:):thumbsup:
Good evening Guardians. Finally finished up on my eye surgeries. Go back to the surgeon to have stitches removed, etc. Thank God it's pretty much over:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. A couple of posts ago I asked if anyone knew what this plant (below) was. I figured it out...a Confederate Rose:D. Not a rose at all but a member of the Hibiscus family.:)
Here's the photo again:
View attachment 1445908
Glad your surgery went well and you're about done with it all!:)
Tried and true trio, José!
You should be able to see the wear and smoothing of the scales so it just feels really nice in the hand, and have only stropped it in 15 months and it has not even got close to have to be taken to a stone. That is the sign of a really good knife. Look after yourselves everyone.:).

6b2gWtD.jpg
Great looker for sure!
I think a lot of us use the pocket knives we're carrying as worry stones or "spinners", which could certainly help in the pocked worn thing.
It's also unlikely I'll be able to have some beers round the fire-pit with my mate before stricter lockdown measures come into force here at 12.01am on Monday :( I have a few things to do today, but if I get a chance I'm going to spend some time working on the two slingshot forks I cut recently. Have a good Friday Guardians :thumbsup:

X4uxPTY.jpg
Say it ain't so, Jack! Is there no end to the horror this virus brings!:mad::D Well, cheers anyway!
Nice looking photo, José!
Great photo of your HHB, David!
Here's a nice old jigged bone Lambsfoot I was gifted by a fellow Guardian :) :thumbsup:

4pS2Ouz.jpg
Wow, such great looking texture on that bone, Jack! Must have been someone's favorite!:thumbsup:
My Hartshead Barlow has been hard at it this morning, but the edge has held up tremendously :cool:

95IMHCG.jpg
Great looking project so far! What kind of wood is that!
My youngest son turns 7 today. AC with me to celebrate.

View attachment 1446290
Happy belated birthday to your son, Joshua!
Good morning Guardians! It’s Friday and it’s not raining! :thumbsup: I believe I’ll celebrate by carrying some Ebony! ;) Y’all have a safe weekend! :)

50344894686_c7112c241c_c_d.jpg
Ummp! Love the ebony, Ron!;):thumbsup:
"[That] land you knew will still be singing, when you [go] home again to Wales."
vxklIjv.jpg

(The slate beer-mats are from Pennsylvania, and Capel Cerrig is in the village of Remsen in New York.)
Awsome, love the beer mats! :)
Have a great weekend Guardians :thumbsup:

ZgbvE3U.jpg
You too, Jack! Hope you had a great date with the blond!:D

View attachment 1446570
Ezra asked for some Mahi Mahi too, and it was in the budget so now Cod, Salmon, and Mahi Mahi
That looks great, Ezra has good tase! And the Lambsfoot looks handy!
Going camping today with my three older boys and some men and sons from the school. Should be fun!

View attachment 1446814
Nice! We went last week, but I think we're done for the winter, will go again in the spring. Have a great trip, great memories!:):thumbsup:
Very cool foto, Dwight!:cool::thumbsup:
oLwMnz8.jpg
Hope you don't loose the parsley! Such great looking stag on your HHB, Dave!:):thumbsup:
Always a pleasure to see that one, José
Looking good, Kevin!:cool::thumbsup:
I ended up sticking with my Hartshead Barlow today, helped me finish off the slingshots I've been working on :) Hope everyone is having a good Halloween :) :thumbsup:

QLZ3gku.jpg
Did come out nice, Jack! :cool::thumbsup: What are you using for bands?
I spent most of the day in the kitchen.
Qpom6ZI.jpg
All looks great, Dave! Now I'm hankering a PBJ, with maybe orange marmalade!:thumbsup:
fNwrJgk.jpg
Just plain stunning terrain!:eek::thumbsup:

We left on the 18th to go camping for two weeks. A real mix of weather, cool and cloudy, then ~89" and humid, and finally a couple of nice days, all in the first week. Then the forecast looked ugly for week two, so we came home last Sunday. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday was nothing but cold weather and ice storm! A lot of trees and limbs came down, and a lot of folks lost power, and still quite a few still out. We had a 5kw generator ready to go, but we didn't need it, so we took it to a young couple we know who have two young ones, they are still using it.
So we've been doing lots of cleanup, probably will be helping out some that are elderly or who don't have a chainsaw.

Henry ready to go!
KLDbIYL.jpg

Campsite set up.
duA4P7z.jpg

The little trailer our son made, it's maiden voyage.
GlqaWZP.jpg

HpYbC1e.jpg

e0Ds3hC.jpg

Little walks we took...
pLqeYYm.jpg
1kjDbW3.jpg

Big'un hanging around...
tO0Pnzc.jpg
Refreshments, then a fire.
4ZYmoxR.jpg

WSIeosI.gifv

EV3xVPP.jpg

Have a great Sunday!

Last edited:
Nice slingshots Jack! :thumbsup: I heard on our news channel this afternoon that there were several European countries that were going under lockdown starting Monday. :( Stay safe my friend! :)

Thanks Ron, one of them is made from a fork I took from a branch of this old ash tree :)

g8QzYbx.jpg

It's a confusing situation here o_O Leeds is currently subject to what they're calling "Tier 2" restrictions", but was due to go into "Tier 3" on Monday. That's now been cancelled, and we'll remain in Tier 2 until Thursday, when we'll go into a "national lockdown", though that varies significantly from the previous "national lockdown", and there are different restrictions in England to Scotland and Wales, for example. I doubt one person in 20 understands what they are and aren't supposed to do o_O Thanks my friend, I'll try :) :thumbsup:

I spent most of the day in the kitchen.
Qpom6ZI.jpg

Looks like you had a productive time Dave, that bread looks wonderful, great shot :) I made a blackberry crumble, but forgot to take pics :( :thumbsup:

I carried it for a week when it first came in, and a couple times since. I do like the blade shape and overall feel of the knife in hand. Rather disappointed in the edge retention though. To the point I question the heat treat.

That's disappointing to hear Dave :( The steel is C70, and generally good, but Wright's QC is variable at best. The problem may be with the HT, but it could be that the 'cutler' burned the edge, and so you may find that taking some steel off the edge by sharpening it a few times gets you down to some better steel. Not something you should have to do of course, but others have reported the same, and that this helps. There may even be entries about the matter in the thread index :thumbsup:

fNwrJgk.jpg

00GTNLH.jpg

IhL6uek.jpg

cdklWX6.jpg

qHDDnnu.jpg

Thank you for sharing these fabulous photos :) It looks like you had a wonderful day :) Sorry to see there's still some wildfire smoke around :( :thumbsup:

Howdy all!!
Back in the saddle again. Been an interesting couple of weeks! :confused:

I was hoping to see some that have been away, hope Harvey, DC50 Dave and Old_Guy are ok.

Great to see you back in the saddle Dennis! :D Hope you're doing OK pard'ner. That's a mammoth post! :cool: :thumbsup:

I always worry about our old regulars, and it's great when they call in, but it must be over a year since Dave DC50 was last here, and he's no longer even a member :( The last time I heard from Dave, he and his wife were both expecting test results, and were worried about them. That's not something I've previously shared here, since it was private, but now seems the right time to. I hope that both of them are well, and enjoying life. And that Dave has a Lambsfoot in his pocket :thumbsup:

Glad you got out for a bit, Jack! Love the shot of your HHB!;):thumbsup:

Now you're talking! Great looking combo, Jack!:D:thumbsup:

Thanks a lot pal :) :thumbsup:

Say it ain't so, Jack! Is there no end to the horror this virus brings!:mad::D Well, cheers anyway!

Turns out we're going into a "national lockdown" on Thursday now instead Dennis o_O Hard to know what's going on from day to day :confused: It certainly hasn't been an easy year has it?! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Wow, such great looking texture on that bone, Jack! Must have been someone's favorite!:thumbsup:

Thanks my friend :) Someone saved a small fortune on Therapy' with that one! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Great looking project so far! What kind of wood is that!

Thanks :) First I've made since I was a kid, and they turned out OK :D The one with the bark on is Ash, the other I'm not sure about :thumbsup:

You too, Jack! Hope you had a great date with the blond!:D

Shhhh! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Did come out nice, Jack! :cool::thumbsup: What are you using for bands?

I've put fairly light flat-bands on both of them as they'll probably mainly be used for firing clays. The de-barked one has been claimed by my girlfriend :rolleyes: It has very light tapered GZK bands, and the other has tapered Theraband Gold :thumbsup:

We left on the 18th to go camping for two weeks. A real mix of weather, cool and cloudy, then ~89" and humid, and finally a couple of nice days, all in the first week. Then the forecast looked ugly for week two, so we came home last Sunday. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday was nothing but cold weather and ice storm! A lot of trees and limbs came down, and a lot of folks lost power, and still quite a few still out. We had a 5kw generator ready to go, but we didn't need it, so we took it to a young couple we know who have two young ones, they are still using it.
So we've been doing lots of cleanup, probably will be helping out some that are elderly or who don't have a chainsaw.

Henry ready to go!
KLDbIYL.jpg

Campsite set up.
duA4P7z.jpg

GlqaWZP.jpg

HpYbC1e.jpg

e0Ds3hC.jpg

Little walks we took...
pLqeYYm.jpg
1kjDbW3.jpg

Big'un hanging around...
tO0Pnzc.jpg
4ZYmoxR.jpg

WSIeosI.gifv

EV3xVPP.jpg

Have a great Sunday!

Sounds like you've been busy Dennis! Those are stunning photos my friend, really great to see you here :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, what a photographic feast to wake up to today! :) I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend :) I was expecting a grocery delivery this morning, but they've managed to cock it up o_O Don't worry, I won't starve! ;) No exciting Halloween stories I'm afraid, but I did visit a few spirits ;) Have a good day Guardians :) :thumbsup:

Thought I'd carry some Damascus today :) :thumbsup:

6QDua3a.jpg

Henry ready to go!
KLDbIYL.jpg

Campsite set up.
duA4P7z.jpg

GlqaWZP.jpg

HpYbC1e.jpg

e0Ds3hC.jpg

Little walks we took...
pLqeYYm.jpg
1kjDbW3.jpg

Big'un hanging around...
tO0Pnzc.jpg
4ZYmoxR.jpg

WSIeosI.gifv

EV3xVPP.jpg