Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I wanted to get one last trip to the high country before the snow comes, so I went to Mitchell Peak in Kings Canyon NP. And what good is a walk in the wilds without a lambsfoot in your pocket?
fNwrJgk.jpg

The wildfire smoke wasn't as bad as I was expecting, it was only a problem in the views toward the east and south.
00GTNLH.jpg

IhL6uek.jpg

cdklWX6.jpg

qHDDnnu.jpg

Wow! I wish I had a back drop like that to take lambsfoot photos of. :thumbsup:

We left on the 18th to go camping for two weeks. A real mix of weather, cool and cloudy, then ~89" and humid, and finally a couple of nice days, all in the first week. Then the forecast looked ugly for week two, so we came home last Sunday. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday was nothing but cold weather and ice storm! A lot of trees and limbs came down, and a lot of folks lost power, and still quite a few still out. We had a 5kw generator ready to go, but we didn't need it, so we took it to a young couple we know who have two young ones, they are still using it.
So we've been doing lots of cleanup, probably will be helping out some that are elderly or who don't have a chainsaw.

Henry ready to go!
KLDbIYL.jpg

Campsite set up.
duA4P7z.jpg

The little trailer our son made, it's maiden voyage.
GlqaWZP.jpg

HpYbC1e.jpg

e0Ds3hC.jpg

Little walks we took...
pLqeYYm.jpg
1kjDbW3.jpg

Big'un hanging around...
tO0Pnzc.jpg
Refreshments, then a fire.
4ZYmoxR.jpg

WSIeosI.gifv

EV3xVPP.jpg

Have a great Sunday!

Great shots Dennis; looks like a great time away.
And I'm not a dog person but Henry could make me one. :D

...an election

An election?? I hadn't heard. Which ones that then? :D

I still don't have a lot to say, but I picked some semi-random posts that I thought were interesting from my hiatus to respond to below.

David, I always enjoy the posts with photos of your travels, and pics of your food and drink, too! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I picked out this post because I was fascinated by the discussion about various types of squirrels and how they came to be in various locations.

Is that a desert ironwood Guardians lambsfoot with the chorizo?

- GT

Hey GT good to see you back here; you always have lots to say as far as I'm concerned. :thumbsup:
Yip, thanks, that was my ironwood. Just fancied a savoury calorie bomb. :D
Good to see your Black Jack again.:thumbsup:

Morning Guardians. It's Monday.
Trying to spool myself up with a brew.
Hope everyone's well.:thumbsup:

jbE5tkV.jpg

jbE5tkV.jpg

Morning David, that's a great mug, much better than the ones I've seen before :cool: Nice pic of your Hartshead Barlow too :) I'm feeling in need of a pick-me-up myself, so having some cake with my strong mid-morning coffee :D Have a good week mate :thumbsup:

HTtteKj.jpg

Morning David, that's a great mug, much better than the ones I've seen before :cool: Nice pic of your Hartshead Barlow too :) I'm feeling in need of a pick-me-up myself, so having some cake with my strong mid-morning coffee :D Have a good week mate :thumbsup:

HTtteKj.jpg

Cheers Jack, it's not a thick northern mug at all though; quite light and dainty. But it gets it's message across. :D
Hope you enjoyed your cake. You got me thinking about lunch now.

Cheers Jack, it's not a thick northern mug at all though; quite light and dainty. But it gets it's message across. :D
Hope you enjoyed your cake. You got me thinking about lunch now.

That's a shame David, particularly considering the 'Strong & Northern' tagline :rolleyes: One gets the impression of a lumbering out-of-date who have latterly employed some clueless spivs to do their marketing o_O Thanks pal, Cherry Madeira cake picked up in Leeds market on Thursday (3 different cakes for £1)! :D :thumbsup:

I just got a package from Europe, and thought the sticker was a nice touch :)

4JAAH5Y.jpg

That's a shame David, particularly considering the 'Strong & Northern' tagline :rolleyes: One gets the impression of a lumbering out-of-date who have latterly employed some clueless spivs to do their marketing o_O Thanks pal, Cherry Madeira cake picked up in Leeds market on Thursday (3 different cakes for £1)! :D :thumbsup:

I just got a package from Europe, and thought the sticker was a nice touch :)

4JAAH5Y.jpg

Yeah, I was expecting a mug you needed an engine jack to pick up, so was quite surprised when I got it home, opened the box, and it almost floated off. :D
They do cake deals like that on Leigh market. I should drag myself over there before it all goes to pants.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I was expecting a mug you needed an engine jack to pick up, so was quite surprised when I got it home, opened the box, and it almost floated off. :D
They do cake deals like that on Leigh market. I should drag myself over there before it all goes to pants.:rolleyes:

I know the sort you mean mate, they're not cheap those Henderson's mugs either :rolleyes: Why would you put your highly successful, somewhat niche, brand on an lower quality overpriced mug? o_O I love Henderson's, but as a company, I think they're idiots! :rolleyes:

It might be the same bloke! :D Yeah, get yourself over David :) :thumbsup:

I forgot I was going to google grey squirrels. The foxes are the big ones.

Is this 'em? I must have seen half a dozen this morning (though I probably saw the same 2 or 3 more than once)! :D :thumbsup:

grey-squirrel-eating-nuts-alamykp50jm-sandra-standbridge.jpg

I know the sort you mean mate, they're not cheap those Henderson's mugs either :rolleyes: Why would you put your highly successful, somewhat niche, brand on an lower quality overpriced mug? o_O I love Henderson's, but as a company, I think they're idiots! :rolleyes:

It might be the same bloke! :D Yeah, get yourself over David :) :thumbsup:

Is this 'em? I must have seen half a dozen this morning (though I probably saw the same 2 or 3 more than once)! :D :thumbsup:

grey-squirrel-eating-nuts-alamykp50jm-sandra-standbridge.jpg
I think so, though that one looks a little hoary.
Man, I miss the days when I could make them dance with my Red Ryder BB gun without worrying about being shot by the police.

We don't have any laws against throwing sticks.
There might be some ideas for unorthodox projectiles in my Dan Beard Boys' Handy books.
tdk9S4h.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you had a chance to get away, Ron; thanks for sharing the first-rate pics!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Thanks Gary! We had a great time! :) :thumbsup:

Black Jack has been with me for a week. Monday is rotation day.
View attachment 1447874

- GT
Looking good as usual Gary! :) :thumbsup:

Yes Gary, such a smashing guy. I hope both he and his wife are OK. I felt very sorry for them having to move from their idyllic former home, but then they seemed to be settling into a nice new town. I always enjoyed Dave's posts, and I'm sure he's missed by many here :( :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words :) I'm glad that, for the most part, this overcrowded isle has been able to maintain some 'green belt' between our towns and cities :) I think the ash slingshot may need a little fine-tuning, no problem hitting a tin-can, but I generally shoot at much smaller targets. I didn't know that about baseball bats, but it doesn't surprise me, ash is great wood, and the wood of choice for spears, most famously Odin's! I have an ash walking staff :D :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, wishing everyone a safe and peaceful week :thumbsup: A pic from last Thursday ;) :thumbsup:

G7yf7oP.jpg
Sorry to hear about Dave! I have missed his posts and contributions, but I didn’t realize it had been so long. I hope they are well! Great photos Jack! :) :thumbsup:

jbE5tkV.jpg
Love that mug David. Your Hartshead is looking great my friend! :) :thumbsup:

I think so, though that one looks a little hoary.
Man, I miss the days when I could make them dance with my Red Ryder BB gun without worrying about being shot by the police.

We don't have any laws against throwing sticks.

Historically, weighted sticks were very traditional for hunting squirrels here. You can still shoot them with a catapult if you have the permission of the landowner I think. When I was a kid, the park-keeper would pay you ten bob a tail! ;) I just read there's discussion about reintroducing the bounty in Wales, but paying £1 :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! This thread is moving a lot faster than I am this morning! :rolleyes: Pam and I were just texting about the Covid situation here. It’s getting bad again, maybe worse than before! :( She was telling me about an employee at a nearby plant that worked 3 days knowing they had a positive test. Absolutely no concern for their fellow employees! :thumbsdown: One thing that is steadfast and dependable is a Big Ebony Lambsfoot in the pocket! Y’all please be careful and try to stay safe out there! :):thumbsup:

50558053958_a3357efc8a_o_d.jpg

Good morning Guardians! This thread is moving a lot faster than I am this morning! :rolleyes: Pam and I were just texting about the Covid situation here. It’s getting bad again, maybe worse than before! :( She was telling me about an employee at a nearby plant that worked 3 days knowing they had a positive test. Absolutely no concern for their fellow employees! :thumbsdown: One thing that is steadfast and dependable is a Big Ebony Lambsfoot in the pocket! Y’all please be careful and try to stay safe out there! :):thumbsup:

50558053958_a3357efc8a_o_d.jpg

Sorry to hear that Ron :( That's pretty rubbish about that feller, and not uncommon I would think (we had a Member of Parliament who behaved much the same) :thumbsdown: You can rely on Big Eb! :cool: Great pic Ron :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron, one of them is made from a fork I took from a branch of this old ash tree :)

g8QzYbx.jpg

It's a confusing situation here o_O Leeds is currently subject to what they're calling "Tier 2" restrictions", but was due to go into "Tier 3" on Monday. That's now been cancelled, and we'll remain in Tier 2 until Thursday, when we'll go into a "national lockdown", though that varies significantly from the previous "national lockdown", and there are different restrictions in England to Scotland and Wales, for example. I doubt one person in 20 understands what they are and aren't supposed to do o_O Thanks my friend, I'll try :) :thumbsup:

Looks like you had a productive time Dave, that bread looks wonderful, great shot :) I made a blackberry crumble, but forgot to take pics :( :thumbsup:

That's disappointing to hear Dave :( The steel is C70, and generally good, but Wright's QC is variable at best. The problem may be with the HT, but it could be that the 'cutler' burned the edge, and so you may find that taking some steel off the edge by sharpening it a few times gets you down to some better steel. Not something you should have to do of course, but others have reported the same, and that this helps. There may even be entries about the matter in the thread index :thumbsup:

Thank you for sharing these fabulous photos :) It looks like you had a wonderful day :) Sorry to see there's still some wildfire smoke around :( :thumbsup:

Great to see you back in the saddle Dennis! :D Hope you're doing OK pard'ner. That's a mammoth post! :cool: :thumbsup:

I always worry about our old regulars, and it's great when they call in, but it must be over a year since Dave DC50 was last here, and he's no longer even a member :( The last time I heard from Dave, he and his wife were both expecting test results, and were worried about them. That's not something I've previously shared here, since it was private, but now seems the right time to. I hope that both of them are well, and enjoying life. And that Dave has a Lambsfoot in his pocket :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot pal :) :thumbsup:

Turns out we're going into a "national lockdown" on Thursday now instead Dennis o_O Hard to know what's going on from day to day :confused: It certainly hasn't been an easy year has it?! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Thanks my friend :) Someone saved a small fortune on Therapy' with that one! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks :) First I've made since I was a kid, and they turned out OK :D The one with the bark on is Ash, the other I'm not sure about :thumbsup:

Shhhh! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I've put fairly light flat-bands on both of them as they'll probably mainly be used for firing clays. The de-barked one has been claimed by my girlfriend :rolleyes: It has very light tapered GZK bands, and the other has tapered Theraband Gold :thumbsup:

Sounds like you've been busy Dennis! Those are stunning photos my friend, really great to see you here :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, what a photographic feast to wake up to today! :) I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend :) I was expecting a grocery delivery this morning, but they've managed to cock it up o_O Don't worry, I won't starve! ;) No exciting Halloween stories I'm afraid, but I did visit a few spirits ;) Have a good day Guardians :) :thumbsup:

Thought I'd carry some Damascus today :) :thumbsup:

6QDua3a.jpg
My cousin in York is in Hospice. His wife is visiting him every day until Thursday, then who knows. Must be terrible to be locked up with no visitors, or to have someone locked up and unvisitable. [No condolences necessary for me; I've met him about three times and her once.]
before it all goes to pants
I haven't heard that expression before. Obviously a bad thing.

I love Henderson's, but as a company, I think they're idiots! :rolleyes:

That'll be the reason they changed the label on their bottles. 'Cos they couldn't read the old one probably. :rolleyes:

Love that mug David. Your Hartshead is looking great my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron. That cracking ebony you have there is almost as dark as the clouds over my house right about now. :rolleyes::D

I also miss Dave. He always posted funny cartoons that always hit the nail on the head.

Back