Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good morning Guardians and all. Just when I was feeling a little low:( I received in the mail a package that really cheered me up:D. @Modoic ED gifted me these two beauties. :D
What a nice act of kindness and generosity.:thumbsup: Thank you Ed. There is a 2019 Guardians Knife (Rattail bolster and Ironwood covers) and another SFO by Jack Black Jack Black with Bagpipe Ebony.:thumbsup:
These two will be keeping my HHB company.
View attachment 1448502 View attachment 1448503

I'm glad your like them Bill Onebigbill Onebigbill . I thought they'd go nicely with your Hartshead and keep it company. Enjoy and rest easy.

It is indeed trying times for us all my friends! Lol Jack! I had to do a double take on the link! :eek: I didn’t realize y’all had a need for prisons in the UK! :rolleyes: :D

That only leaves 4 more Jack! ;) Looking very tasty! :D

Congratulations Bill! :cool: That’s two dandy lambs my friend! Well done Ed Modoc ED Modoc ED ! :thumbsup: :D
Thanks Ron. I'm excited to have them. I've been lusting after the Ironwood example and the Ebony is a real bonus. Both knives are very well made too. Almost forgot to mention that the photo of your HHB is very nice - great stag covers my friend.

Thanks for the compliment David! :) Sorry about the clouds! May you have brighter days ahead my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Not if our guvmnt have anything to do with it I won't. But cheers anyway. :thumbsup:

Great cup! I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those!

I hope everyone has a reasonably pleasant Monday. I'm going to try to get my errands done, so I can hunker down the rest of the week. Whatever happens, I expect to be hungover on Wednesday.

Cheers Rachel, a nice compliment coming from a southern lady like yourself. :D

O8vfovf.jpg

Yip. them's pants. :D:thumbsup:

I had to look that up to Jer, very interesting :thumbsup: I think the squirrel info might have been in a book by Jack Cox (who definitely deserves a wikipedia entry!). I'll see what I can turn up :thumbsup:

83W1ZUC.jpg

It's another dark, cold, and windy evening here in Yorkshire, and raining hard outside. Not even 7.00pm yet, but I'm glad to be snug indoors, and I just remembered I have some leftover blackberry crumble in the fridge, so I'll be having that with some custard shortly :) :thumbsup:

ogfbWyl.jpg

Now that ain't no squirrel stick. :D
That crumble looks delicious. It's certainly soup weather now.

This engraving from 1799 shows 'a group of gentlemen hunting squirrels by throwing sticks at them', but there's no info on the sticks :rolleyes:

il_1140xN.2210214195_227w.jpg

"John Wise writing in the early 1860s, and Gerald Lascelles, Deputy Surveyor of the New Forest, writing of the years between 1880 and 1914, noted a range of weaponry used to bring down red squirrels from the tree-tops during the old sport of squoyling. Scales, squoyles, squails and snogs - the names seem to have been interchangeably used - were relatively light sticks around 38 centimetres (15 inches) long, loaded at the tip with a pear-shaped ball of heavier, hard wood; and stouter sticks of similar length, loaded with lead.

At times, squoyling was a competitive social activity that seems to have been particularly well-supported around Christmas-time when squoyling parties would go out into the woods to see which would come back with the biggest bag of squirrels."

I think the book I read, which mentioned them, may have named the sticks as 'squalls' :thumbsup:

Something else, which may be of interest :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting all that Jack. I'd never heard of squoyling. I guess squirrels must of been a lot more numerous back in the day.

The " white stuff has arrived " :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:...... :D

DHr3FUD.jpg

Better get ya skates on there Dan. :D:thumbsup:

Congratulations Bill :thumbsup:

The " white stuff has arrived " :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:...... :D

DHr3FUD.jpg

It was bound to happen sometime Dan :eek: ;) At least you'll be able to find your Lambsfoot easily if you drop it ;) :D :thumbsup:

It is indeed trying times for us all my friends! Lol Jack! I had to do a double take on the link! :eek: I didn’t realize y’all had a need for prisons in the UK! :rolleyes: :D

We have the highest per-capita incarceration rate in Europe Ron :eek:

That only leaves 4 more Jack! ;) Looking very tasty! :D

I've saved a couple for breakfast Ron ;) :D :thumbsup:

I felt the urge to carry stag today so my Hartshead got the nod! I hope y’all have a safe day out there! :) :thumbsup:

50563349356_3aaa29a590_c_d.jpg

I really like the stag on that one my friend :) :thumbsup:

Now that ain't no squirrel stick. :D
That crumble looks delicious. It's certainly soup weather now.

I thought I heard someone call for a priest! :eek: ;) :D Thanks mate :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting all that Jack. I'd never heard of squoyling. I guess squirrels must of been a lot more numerous back in the day.

According to the article, it was one of the main reasons red squirrels became LESS numerous :eek: It's an odd name isn't it? :thumbsup:

BTW screened porch screened porch has taken the squirrel discussion to the Lounge, if anyone is interested :thumbsup:

Topical pic my friend :thumbsup:

The word on the street is that the market won't be open this Thursday :( Which means I won't see my pal, and won't be able to borrow his angle-grinder for my latest slingshot project :rolleyes:

XgM7FNu.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Barrett, I've just been messing around changing band-sets, and sorting out some fibre-optic sights, which I don't intend to use! :D My AC helped out :) That sounds fun my friend, I suspect someone would call the cops if I got seen with a BB gun o_O Good for Eleanor :) :thumbsup:

When I was looking for backstop ideas on Google image search, one of the photos linked to a U.K. article titled, “Garden Airgunning — Is It Legal?” :rolleyes:

LOL! :D I cook with sherry, but I don't even like the good stuff :rolleyes:

The same guy that gave me the port or sherry or whatever it was once gave me a bottle of Hungarian Tokaji. That was some cloyingly sweet stuff!

I think he sang that when I saw him in Leeds Barrett :) :thumbsup:

I’d imagine so, Jack. He’s had two solo albums since splitting from Old Crow Medicine Show, so he doesn’t have a huge catalogue of songs. On the other hand, I also wouldn’t be surprised if he plays some old folk stuff that he hasn’t recorded when he does a live show. Unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to see him play live on his own. I had tickets to see him in Phoenix, but I bought them before we moved to MN, and the show was a month after we moved.

Thanks pal, I imagine that the sculptor didn't have a rosy future based on that example of their work :rolleyes: :D Apparently, it dates back to the early 19th century, and there was originally a copper cup mounted on a chain above the 'dog's head :thumbsup:

That was sculpted? :confused: I just assumed it was a natural formation that was named after something that it vaguely resembled. :D

Thanks for the compliment Barrett! I enjoyed the version of Midnight Special from your link. It’s great to see you and your Hartshead here my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed it, Ron! :thumbsup:

13, 12, 9, and 6 (7 on the 30th). They all love it and it is great. We started with little books when the oldest were young—Arnold Loebel, Bill Peet, C.S. Lewis, as well as some simple series like The Magic Tree House. We have also enjoyed the Redwall series, the Chronicles of Prydain series, all of the N. D. Wilson books, and my favorite—Tolkien. A surprise was Andrew Peterson’s Wingfeather Saga, which was really good.

My wife reads to my daughter (4) while I’m reading to the boys and my youngest son usually goes with her and then comes in with us. I’m looking forward to when my daughter is old enough to join in the bigger books, as she LOVES to be read to. She loves Beatrix Potter and pretty much any animal book.

That’s great, Joshua. I just recently started reading bits of longer books to Eleanor (4 years old) before bed every night. Our first was The Hobbit, which we finished last week.

We left on the 18th to go camping for two weeks. A real mix of weather, cool and cloudy, then ~89" and humid, and finally a couple of nice days, all in the first week. Then the forecast looked ugly for week two, so we came home last Sunday. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday was nothing but cold weather and ice storm! A lot of trees and limbs came down, and a lot of folks lost power, and still quite a few still out. We had a 5kw generator ready to go, but we didn't need it, so we took it to a young couple we know who have two young ones, they are still using it.
So we've been doing lots of cleanup, probably will be helping out some that are elderly or who don't have a chainsaw.

Henry ready to go!
KLDbIYL.jpg

Campsite set up.
duA4P7z.jpg

The little trailer our son made, it's maiden voyage.
GlqaWZP.jpg

HpYbC1e.jpg

e0Ds3hC.jpg

Little walks we took...
pLqeYYm.jpg
1kjDbW3.jpg

Big'un hanging around...
tO0Pnzc.jpg
Refreshments, then a fire.
4ZYmoxR.jpg

WSIeosI.gifv

EV3xVPP.jpg

Have a great Sunday!

Great photos, Dennis! Sounds like a good time! :thumbsup:

It's a confusing situation here o_O Leeds is currently subject to what they're calling "Tier 2" restrictions", but was due to go into "Tier 3" on Monday. That's now been cancelled, and we'll remain in Tier 2 until Thursday, when we'll go into a "national lockdown", though that varies significantly from the previous "national lockdown", and there are different restrictions in England to Scotland and Wales, for example. I doubt one person in 20 understands what they are and aren't supposed to do o_O Thanks my friend, I'll try :) :thumbsup:

Turns out we're going into a "national lockdown" on Thursday now instead Dennis o_O Hard to know what's going on from day to day :confused: It certainly hasn't been an easy year has it?! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Who’s on first? :confused:

Morning Guardians. It's Monday.
Trying to spool myself up with a brew.
Hope everyone's well.:thumbsup:

jbE5tkV.jpg

Yeah, I was expecting a mug you needed an engine jack to pick up, so was quite surprised when I got it home, opened the box, and it almost floated off. :D
They do cake deals like that on Leigh market. I should drag myself over there before it all goes to pants.:rolleyes:

I like that mug, David! :thumbsup: :D

It looks a bit similar to this mug I ordered from Laphroaig a few years back, which was also thinner/lighter than I’d usually prefer.

01psqOO.jpg

I love Henderson's, but as a company, I think they're idiots! :rolleyes:

:D :D

Historically, weighted sticks were very traditional for hunting squirrels here. You can still shoot them with a catapult if you have the permission of the landowner I think. When I was a kid, the park-keeper would pay you ten bob a tail! ;) I just read there's discussion about reintroducing the bounty in Wales, but paying £1 :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

It’s too bad they can’t regrow their tails like a lizard, you could have a replenishing income source (assuming you could catch ‘em alive, of course). ;)

I had to look that up to Jer, very interesting :thumbsup: I think the squirrel info might have been in a book by Jack Cox (who definitely deserves a wikipedia entry!). I'll see what I can turn up :thumbsup:

83W1ZUC.jpg

Hey, if you get some extra time on your hands with the lockdown, you could always write one! ;) :D

Talking of 'trying times', a supermarket delivery error left me me with a pack of half a dozen jam doughnuts :eek: I thought I better make a start :rolleyes: Those doughnuts won't eat themselves :D ;) :thumbsup:

ku8UU3e.jpg

It’s been a while since I had any kind of donut. I don’t usually go for the filled ones, but right now it sounds pretty good! :thumbsup:

DHr3FUD.jpg

The horror! :eek: ;) If that was back home in Arkansas, the schools would all be closed, cars would be abandoned in ditches and there wouldn’t be a single loaf of bread, gallon of milk or carton of eggs left on the store shelves (pandemic or no). :D

Last edited:
When I was looking for backstop ideas on Google image search, one of the photos linked to a U.K. article titled, “Garden Airgunning — Is It Legal?” :rolleyes:

:eek: I'm going to have to check that one out! :D :thumbsup:

When I was about 7, another lad in my class shot his neighbour in the backside with an air-rifle. The police were called. They told his mother she ought to take the gun off him and give it him back when he was a little older. Times have changed o_O

The same guy that gave me the port or sherry or whatever it was once gave me a bottle of Hungarian Tokaji. That was some cloyingly sweet stuff!

:D :thumbsup:

I’d imagine so, Jack. He’s had two solo albums since splitting from Old Crow Medicine Show, so he doesn’t have a huge catalogue of songs. On the other hand, I also wouldn’t be surprised if he plays some old folk stuff that he hasn’t recorded when he does a live show. Unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to see him play live on his own. I had tickets to see him in Phoenix, but I bought them before we moved to MN, and the show was a month after we moved.

That's a shame mate, I think I remember you mentioning that Phoenix show before :thumbsup:

That was sculpted? :confused: I just assumed it was a natural formation that was named after something that it vaguely resembled. :D

LOL! :D Yeah, you should see the bloke they used to build the roads round here! :D :thumbsup:

It’s too bad they can’t regrow their tails like a lizard, you could have a replenishing income source (assuming you could catch ‘em alive, of course). ;)

Yeah, ten bob was a decent sum when I were a lad! :D I was looking up the history of the bounty, and according to what I read, it was dropped a couple of years before I was born! So, I don't know if there was just a local scheme, or if it was the park-keeper who felt sorry for us! :D :thumbsup:

Hey, if you get some extra time on your hands with the lockdown, you could always write one! ;) :D

:D :thumbsup:

It’s been a while since I had any kind of donut. I don’t usually go for the filled ones, but right now it sounds pretty good! :thumbsup:

I also prefer ring-doughnuts Barrett, but I generally eschew doughnuts of all kinds - because I can eat a lot of them! :eek: :D :thumbsup: At the time we first went to lockdown here back in March, I had given up both alcohol and sugar....Hmmm :rolleyes:

The horror! :eek: ;) If that was back home in Arkansas, the schools would all be closed, cars would be abandoned in ditches and there wouldn’t be a single loaf of bread, gallon of milk or carton of eggs left on the store shelves (pandemic or no). :D

It's just like that here! :D :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron. I'm excited to have them. I've been lusting after the Ironwood example and the Ebony is a real bonus. Both knives are very well made too. Almost forgot to mention that the photo of your HHB is very nice - great stag covers my friend.
Thanks Bill! Again, congratulations on your new additions! :)

Not if our guvmnt have anything to do with it I won't. But cheers anyway. :thumbsup:
:eek: ;) :D

We have the highest per-capita incarceration rate in Europe Ron :eek:

I've saved a couple for breakfast Ron ;) :D :thumbsup:

I really like the stag on that one my friend :) :thumbsup:
I was only kidding about the prisons Jack! I actually had no idea about the incarceration rates. :( I’m very fond of the stag on my Hartshead Jack! :) :thumbsup:

I was only kidding about the prisons Jack! I actually had no idea about the incarceration rates. :( I’m very fond of the stag on my Hartshead Jack! :) :thumbsup:

Oh, no worries Ron, I knew you were joking :) Historically, the main reason incarceration rates increased was that there were no colonies left for the British Crown to deport people to! :eek: :D ;) :thumbsup:

:D:D:D:D:D:D That is how we kicked off, you blokes sending the overflow over here.:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Yes indeed! :rolleyes: Transportation from Britain was originally to the Americas (and to Africa), not just for convicts, but for ordinary people who were 'spirited away' from villages and country lanes all over England, Ireland, Wales, and Scotland. The American Revolution presented a problem in this (and obviously other) respect, and we see the growth in incarceration in the UK, and transportation to Australia and Van Diemen's Land. A good few Sheffield cutlers went that way. A few even came back! :rolleyes: You seem to have done alright from it mate, a total lack of snobbishness (from what I can see), and a rich culture and language :) :thumbsup:

Back