Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Mother Nature sure can cause some devastation can't she? :eek: Most of the trees on my street are very old, but every now and again, one will come crashing down, and it is quite alarming to see the damage they can do. Fortunately, I don't know anyone who has ever been hurt roundabouts. Great pics, as always, Dan :thumbsup:

CelloDan likes this.
  2. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks, Jack!

Jack Black likes this.
  3. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Roasting day!
    BFCDB603-9B09-4FA8-8F4C-7BCB12FEEEEF.jpeg

WHT, Half/Stop, flatblackcapo and 9 others like this.
  4. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    Duplicate, sorry.

5. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    JTB_5 likes this.
  6. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Your knife knowledge is amazingly comprehensive, Jack!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hilarious pic of Eleanor chilling with the paper! :D:thumbsup::cool:
    Barrett, I've never had a "Peanut Rounder", but I'll bet I'd like it! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm fond of peanut brittle, and often get some for Christmas. But as @cudgee and @Jack Black note, it's not a tooth-friendly treat. :(

Dan, I've been contemplating getting a scooter similar to yours for commuting to campus and moving around town at a pace a little faster than walking. I'm currently walking 8-9 miles per day, which takes me about 2.5 hours, so that's a substantial chunk of time. Can one travel on a scooter twice as fast as walking? Can I train myself to ride a scooter that far? How frequently do you "switch pushing legs" (every hour, every mile, every 5 pushes)? Any features you recommend I look for as I start shopping for a scooter?

Your ebony lamb looks exquisite! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on your new devices, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm not very familiar with camping equipment; what is the "box" on the left?

:D:thumbsup::cool: Great-looking stag HHB, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

That stew looks tasty, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Sorry to read that your lambsfoot wanted some. :rolleyes: That oaf fellow hasn't been lurking and infecting you with his knife-dropping symptoms, has he?? :eek:;)

During the winter, I walk with a Groucho Marx-like forward lean, so that my center of gravity is in front of my feet. I figure that if I slip, I'll fall forward instead of backward, and I'd rather break my wrists than my skull.

"Hello, darkness, my old friend ..."
    Ron and Joshua, I really admire the dark stag on your HHB and AC, respectively! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
    Joshua, hope the boys are feeling much better by now.

José, that's a dramatic display of your delightful dozen of lambsfoot knives! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Striking knife, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (Like a great white whale! ;))

Splendid stag lambsfoot, José! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :)
    Naming twins after a brutal Mongol raider/emperor seems like it would put a lot of pressure on the kids! :rolleyes:
    Glad to hear that Rachel seems to be resilient. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: My school's plan at the start of the semester was to start with in-person classes and try to make it until Thanksgiving, and switch to all online classes for the final 3 weeks of the semester so students didn't have to come back to campus after going home for Thanksgiving. (I didn't think we'd make it nearly that long before having to suspend in-person classes.) But the state health department outlawed all face-to-face secondary and postsecondary classes starting this past Wednesday, a week ahead of my institution's plans. Kind of a relief, to be honest!

Thanks for the clarification, Jack and Ron. :) So am I right in concluding that my lambsfoot senator does in fact have a rounder nose than all of my other lambsfoots except for my rosewood Union Jack that my wife and daughter bought for me in York?
    8lambs.mark.V.jpg

Hang in there, Bill. ;):thumbsup: I read that you plan to try some one-eyed painting; are you still golfing with one eye stitched closed??

How did you do that, Jack? :eek::D:thumbsup: As I read the thread this week, I was ecstatic to see that Harvey dropped in several times! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (My multi quotes in this post don't reach forward that far though.)

My wife and I will do Thanksgiving with just the 2 of us. And we advised our daughter last time we Skyped that her coming for Christmas was probably not a wise decision. :(

Thanks, José. :) The other side of the knife doesn't have stag as nice.

You beat me to Joshua's post by several hours, Jack, but I DID think something very similar when I saw it! :rolleyes::p

Love that rambling rose, Ron! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks, Dwight. :)
    Did you put together your model trucks, or did they come fully assembled? Do they represent vehicles with which you've had personal experience? Very cool! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats on another lovely lambsfoot, Rob! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

- GT

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Onebigbill, WHT, peanutsxx and 12 others like this.
  7. rockman0

rockman0 Basic Member Basic Member

May 5, 2013
    Thanks Gary, appreciate it:thumbsup: I need to sharpen it and give it pocket time.

Jack Black likes this.
  8. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    You're very kind Gary :) I have to say, it's getting to the point where I'd be happy to swap some obscure knife history knowledge for knowledge of where I've put my reading glasses/wallet/house-keys :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

I'm very fond of it too my friend, and its dental impact has been such that I now reserve it for a very occasional treat :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

During our first lockdown, when the roads were quiet, I was thinking of getting an electric scooter, but a lot of other folks had the same idea, so they were hard to get hold of. The roads have been back to their usual horrendous state for months now, so it's less appealing. If you get one of the regular scooters, be sure to change your 'pushing leg' from time to time Gary, otherwise you'll forever be walking round in circles, like a Scottish Haggis walking round a hill! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Thanks mate, I have far more than I need :rolleyes: That there is a twig stove, of which I already have a number :rolleyes: This one is a fairly simple design, which folds flat, is quick to assemble, and since it's made from titanium, very light in weight :) :thumbsup:

Thanks again Gary :) Yikes! I sure hope things never get quite THAT bad!! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

It's probably more aero-dynamic too! ;) :D Do you smoke a cigar as you go GT? :D :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D Thanks :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Having hippy parents called Cactus and Gnome, I suspect they may have had a number of life challenges :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks Gary :) Kind of a crazy situation here, particularly with families with multiple kids, since every time one kid in the class sneezes, the rest have to go home for a fortnight. Most of the parents I know are struggling with childcare. My neighbour was telling me that her daughter was sent home with 'symptoms', tested negative, but then my neighbour's employer told her she has to self-isolate for 2 weeks, and won't get paid. I'm sure that must have been a relief Gary, and I dare say we'll end up doing the same when someone in government wakes up to what's going on o_O :thumbsup:

Great pic of your flock GT :cool: Yeah, that's it, although Union Jack should have an angular nose too :thumbsup:

I think it must have been the magic word my friend - 'Doughnut'! :D Great to see Harvey here :) :thumbsup:

Sad, but true :( :thumbsup:

LOL! I bet you did! :D :) :thumbsup:

9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Rachel is off doing her lesson-plans for her return to the chalk-face next week, which means I can have a romantic evening in! :p:D :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

WHT, peanutsxx, Half/Stop and 9 others like this.
  10. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I have one of those. It's very important to keep them scrupulously clean.
    [​IMG]

WHT, JohnDF, r8shell and 8 others like this.
  11. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    :D :thumbsup:

scrteened porch likes this.
  12. herder

herder Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Everytime is the right time for a Hartshead Barlow. :)

While there is certainly some wonderful creations of art nouveau from the late 1800s up to WWI, I really prefer the art deco era roughly dating between WWI and WWII.
    Some knives (especially one off customs) can show some beautiful flowing art nouveau characteristics, but most traditional knives present an art deco look, and well before art deco was established as a specific art form.

A fine compliment of geometry in these two.

BF Wright Hartshead and Clock .jpg

Onebigbill, WHT, Jack Black and 12 others like this.
  13. JTB_5

Oct 6, 2017
    @5K Qs

Thanks Gary! Simon and Garfunkel have a way of making a dark lyric sound appealing musically, don’t they? The boys are all better now, thanks!

14. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Seeing you back in this thread can't be beat, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
    Sorry to read about your wife's health issues, but I'm happy she's improving. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    We've missed your superb images of fascinating old knives! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
    The jigging on your Unity takes a back seat to no knife! ;):thumbsup::cool:

I suppose I'll NEVER be promoted to the next rank in the Guardians since I refuse to even attempt to shave with a lambsfoot as our Chief Guardian does! :eek::(

Super sunny fall photo of your jigged bone WCLF, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
    (You should post it in one of those fall knife photo threads.:))

Your Canadian Creature Collection is a treat, Dan. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Our local zoo closes for the season starting Monday, so having your photos "archived" here will be a welcome winter substitute.

That horn brings the heat, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Your ebony is sweet, Taylor! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

The "explosion" on your horn Guardians lambsfoot gives me a fleet heart beat, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Your wood HHB is very neat, José! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I always think of an odd number of socks as indicating that I have a spare, rather than I'm missing one. :rolleyes:
    If you did laundry that included 33 socks, you've earned your (toffee) wings! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've been carrying LamBarJack, my rosewood HHB all week:
    hhb2.mark.windchime.flash.jpg

- GT

15. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Many thanks, Gary.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

16. Pt-Luso

Nov 8, 2014
    Thank you very much, Gary,:thumbsup::thumbsup::)

17. Pt-Luso

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

Onebigbill, Crazy Canuck, WHT and 3 others like this.
  18. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Only sheets and towels to go!
    [​IMG]

19. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks for the compliment Jack! :)

Great photos pal! :thumbsup:

Thanks Gary! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Gary! LamBarJack :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jack Black likes this.
  20. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Good afternoon Guardians! I’m carrying my Jigged Bone WCLF today. I hope y’all have had a blessed day! :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]