Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

My Charlie Lamb just helped me open a very thoughtful package from JJ Cahill JJ Cahill JJ Cahill JJ Cahill , which contained these beautiful postcards, as well as some high quality cutlery I shall show elsewhere ;) Many thanks JJ :) :thumbsup:

YEzWNMa.jpg
Great, I'm very happy the parcel arrived safely (and quickly :))! :thumbsup: 😁

Edit - Hey JJ Cahill JJ Cahill JJ Cahill JJ Cahill , your PM box is full buddy :thumbsup:
Is there a way to open space in the PM box? o_O:)😁

I've been going to a local Sicilian cafe a lot recently. It does great coffee, and delicious food. Some amazing-looking cakes too, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I thought Charlie waynorth waynorth might like to see their Sicilian/Moroccan/British Triskelion! :D :thumbsup:

BHj9aT3.jpg

I accidentally posted this in the EDC thread by mistake :rolleyes: :D
In Sicily, they would call that symbol the "Trinacria" (trin - ah' - kree - ya)!
It is a Greek word referring to the triangular shape of Sicily, and was first adopted as the name of Sicily when the Greeks dominated! The gorgon, Medusa, would protect a house and family when mounted behind the door, turning anyone who gazed upon her into stone!!
The stalks of wheat were added when the island became the breadbasket of the Roman Empire!!
I'm glad the coffee was good, Jack!! I enjoyed many a delicious espresso doppio when I visited the Island!!

Happy Wattle Day Leon, great pics :) I hope you have a good Spring :thumbsup:

Interesting composition Jer :) You got another shot at the hospital today mate? :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, when I was a kid, we used to say 'Rabbits!' on the first day of the month! :D It hasn't been a great summer here, and we have a gloomy start to September so far. Hoping we get a bit more sunshine before the seasons change :rolleyes: Starting the month off with a Charlie Lamb :) Have a great day Guardians :thumbsup:

5RpvHMq.jpg
Hello Jack, the Charlie Lamb is a very good way to start off the day. I've been away in Hawaii for the past 7 days and not doing much else but exploring Oahu:). We stayed at Waikiki Beach; just beautiful. Back now safe and sound and I'll get back into the swing of things ASAP. :thumbsup: The jet lag is a killer!o_O

Great, I'm very happy the parcel arrived safely (and quickly :))! :thumbsup: 😁

Is there a way to open space in the PM box? o_O:)😁
Thanks again JJ, I think it made very good time :)

Only by deleting some of your existing conversations I'm afraid :thumbsup:
In Sicily, they would call that symbol the "Trinacria" (trin - ah' - kree - ya)!
It is a Greek word referring to the triangular shape of Sicily, and was first adopted as the name of Sicily when the Greeks dominated! The gorgon, Medusa, would protect a house and family when mounted behind the door, turning anyone who gazed upon her into stone!!
The stalks of wheat were added when the island became the breadbasket of the Roman Empire!!
I'm glad the coffee was good, Jack!! I enjoyed many a delicious espresso doppio when I visited the Island!!
Thanks for the information Charlie :) Fascinating :cool: I would have been back there today Charlie, but I've had to wait in all day for some deliveries :rolleyes: :thumbsup:
Hello Jack, the Charlie Lamb is a very good way to start off the day. I've been away in Hawaii for the past 7 days and not doing much else but exploring Oahu:). We stayed at Waikiki Beach; just beautiful. Back now safe and sound and I'll get back into the swing of things ASAP. :thumbsup: The jet lag is a killer!o_O
That sounds fantastic Bill, I hope you're over the jet lag soon. Photos or it didn't happen! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I could do with a vacation myself, the most exciting non-knife thing that's happened to me this week is that some @£%$&#* stole all 3 of my wheelie-bins (large garbage cans or small dumpsters on wheels). I've searched all over the neighbourhood without spotting them. Such a lot of hassle getting them replaced :mad:

240-litre-wheelie-bin-4400-p.jpg

hermes-logo.png

These clowns sure have a cheek naming themselves after the winged-messenger of the Greek gods! I doubt Hera or Zeus had to waste an entire day waiting around, with ever-changing arrival times, running from early morning to evening - currently 10.00pm, if 'Hermes' turns up at all! :rolleyes:

Today my latest acquisition arrived. A George Wostenholm Lambsfoot Swayback. So my lambsfoot collection now stands at three. It is a lot like the Rodgers I recently got in terms of size but imho it is a notch above the Rodgers. The fit and finish is better and the rose wood handles are beautiful. It is also considerably more snappy and the pull is stiffer but it’s not a nail breaker. I do like the blade shape on the Rodgers more though.View attachment 1631711View attachment 1631712 The cost was almost the same and I’m very pleased with both.😃

Today my latest acquisition arrived. A George Wostenholm Lambsfoot Swayback. So my lambsfoot collection now stands at three. It is a lot like the Rodgers I recently got in terms of size but imho it is a notch above the Rodgers. The fit and finish is better and the rose wood handles are beautiful. It is also considerably more snappy and the pull is stiffer but it’s not a nail breaker. I do like the blade shape on the Rodgers more though.View attachment 1631711View attachment 1631712 The cost was almost the same and I’m very pleased with both.😃
That looks very nice my friend :) Eggington were not originally a company who made pocket knives, but they saw an opportunity to snap up several old Sheffield names in the early 1980's. Those names included both George Wostenholm and Joseph Rodgers, two famous companies who had effectively come to the end of the line some years before. Since then, Eggington have mainly farmed out work to jobbing cutlers and small firms, who make up their knives for them. As a consequence, quality can vary wildly (Stan Shaw even did some work for them in the past), and the knives produced with those old Sheffield names can look very different, depending on who actually made them. With most British knife distributors being part-time concerns, often run by one individual, stock accumulates, so you never really know what you're getting. It's nice that you got a nice surprise :) :thumbsup:

That looks very nice my friend :) Eggington were not originally a company who made pocket knives, but they saw an opportunity to snap up several old Sheffield names in the early 1980's. Those names included both George Wostenholm and Joseph Rodgers, two famous companies who had effectively come to the end of the line some years before. Since then, Eggington have mainly farmed out work to jobbing cutlers and small firms, who make up their knives for them. As a consequence, quality can vary wildly (Stan Shaw even did some work for them in the past), and the knives produced with those old Sheffield names can look very different, depending on who actually made them. With most British knife distributors being part-time concerns, often run by one individual, stock accumulates, so you never really know what you're getting. It's nice that you got a nice surprise :) :thumbsup:
Thank you sir! The education I’m just starting to gain from the folks here is outstanding. According to the Boss every time she see’s me pouring over the posts here ends up costing us $$. What can I say, I’m hooked! I want to give a shout out to cudgee cudgee for his insight and willingness to steer me in the right direction 🙏.

hermes-logo.png

These clowns sure have a cheek naming themselves after the winged-messenger of the Greek gods! I doubt Hera or Zeus had to waste an entire day waiting around, with ever-changing arrival times, running from early morning to evening - currently 10.00pm, if 'Hermes' turns up at all! :rolleyes:
At exactly 10.00pm the tracking info changed to 'We are running late. We'll try to get your order to you within the next few days'! I was so angry, I advised them not to bother turning up at all, or I'd be burying the long-handled cultivator, they were supposed to be delivering, where the sun doesn't shine! 😤
Thank you sir! The education I’m just starting to gain from the folks here is outstanding. According to the Boss every time she see’s me pouring over the posts here ends up costing us $$. What can I say, I’m hooked! I want to give a shout out to cudgee cudgee for his insight and willingness to steer me in the right direction 🙏.
Big hand for cudgee cudgee :) :D ;) Well done Leon :) :thumbsup:

92xcK8g.jpg

This Sheffield beauty from Jack pretty much lives next to my main computer, since I received it. Today it went into my pocket. :)
I have a few knives that live on my desk JJ, but the best place for a Lambsfoot is definitely in the pocket :) :thumbsup:

Good afternoon Guardians, a tiring day at the market, but the sun came out in the afternoon. I had my Rosewood Big 'Un with me, but forgot to pocket my camera :( Hope everyone is having a grand day :thumbsup:

Got back from Hawaii yesterday and woke up this morning to a sunny day here in NC with a passing sprinkle of rain. :) Good to be back home but I have to say that Hawaii was very beautiful.:cool: Got my HHB back in action.:thumbsup:
View attachment 1632226View attachment 1632231View attachment 1632232View attachment 1632233View attachment 1632234
Hawaii looks amazing Bill, those are wonderful pics my friend, thanks for sharing them here :) It must have been good to get back to your Hartshead Barlow though! :D ;) :thumbsup:

After the week I've had, I thought I would treat myself to some nectar and ambrosia, ie pie and beer! :D :thumbsup:

U3CxNhI.jpg

5VXDfpN.jpg

gOdoJDs.jpg

I generally take a pretty minimal approach to my Lambsfoot knives, just let the blades patina, oil the joint now and then, and strop and sharpen as required. I've ended up Flitzing the blade of this Big 'Un 2 or 3 times though, and I'm thinking of doing it again. The problem is that I often use it on food, but not often enough that the blade develops a healthy and attractive patina. The patina I get tends to be patchy and uneven. If I get time tomorrow, I might polish the blade, and then try to get a more even patina :thumbsup:

I generally take a pretty minimal approach to my Lambsfoot knives, just let the blades patina, oil the joint now and then, and strop and sharpen as required.
When i was a kid , many years ago, i was given the best advise i have ever received about knife maintenance. I had just received my first knife, a Joseph Rodgers, and i was showing it off to an old farmer and he told me how to look after it. Son, he said, a drop of oil every now and then, keep it sharp and use the bloody thing. This has kept me in good stead and has worked for my entire life. Sometimes we just over complicate things, with new products, special oils and such, but sometimes the old ways have stood the test of time and worked back when they had limited resources and still work today. Carry 'em, use 'em, drop of oil and keep 'em sharp. 👌 :)

Back