Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good day, Guardians. I hope everyone is keeping well.

Like some of you, I like to use my knives to prepare my food. It isn't really all that necessary as I have a rather fine set of kitchen cutlery but using my chosen knife for the day is simply another excuse to put it to use and often food prep can help you gain insights into the knife's performance as a cutting tool. I was out and about, doing some weatherizing before some storms that we are expecting roll in and was using a blade that shall not be named. When I finished up and began to mull over what I wanted to prepare for lunch, I opted to switch over to a trusted Lambsfoot - the thought of using my chorin' knife for food wasn't all that appealing in the moment....

I had some leftover fish from supper last night so to accompany that, I figured I would fry up some potatoes and prepare some fresh veggies (I have my annual physical coming up so raw vegetables have become necessary).

The tomatoes are the very last from my garden. Waited too long to pick them so the skins are a bit thick.
lWwqpw2.jpg

As usual, the Lambsfoot is pretty proficient at dicing up the particulars.
Or37gOO.jpg

A fine meal with an even finer pint (calling this a pint doesn't do this tankard a bit of justice - rather, it can hold more than TWO pints! 😁)
ovtUKqO.jpg
It's always a pleasure to have you here Dylan, what a tasty-looking repast :) Great-looking vegetables my friend, it looks like you got a good crop this year :) Good luck buddy, both with the weather, and the Physical :) :thumbsup:

Been relegated, on theme with older Lambsfoot and their quality being discussed earlier found this today.:thumbsup:.

X00b7FF.jpg
Thanks Leon, I knew there was a reason I woke up at 4.00am! It's raining hard here at the moment, so I hope it's going to stop soon! :eek: Hope you're having a good day there mate :thumbsup:

So, I’ve just acquired a Real Lambs Foot and my initial impression on handling it is that the handle is most comfortable with the blade edge facing up. To me this means that it’s intended use is for cutting up and toward yourself. I imagine it would be good if you were cutting twine on bales of something, or cutting veggies out of your garden, where you apply pressure to the stalk of a veggie with your thumb and pivot the blade through the stem with the same hand, like a pair of scissors.

Has this been discussed? If so, sorry, new to the game.

Has this been discussed?
If it's a GEC Lambsfoot, then I agree it's most comfortable with the blade edge facing up (upside-down).
If it's an A Wright Regular, then I find it comfortable in both regular and upside-down grips.
I believe this has to do with the handle length and the the lack of blade cant (downward angle) on the GEC version.
I believe the GEC is a gorgeous and well-built knife, but I carry the A Wright more because of the comfort level.

So, I’ve just acquired a Real Lambs Foot and my initial impression on handling it is that the handle is most comfortable with the blade edge facing up. To me this means that it’s intended use is for cutting up and toward yourself. I imagine it would be good if you were cutting twine on bales of something, or cutting veggies out of your garden, where you apply pressure to the stalk of a veggie with your thumb and pivot the blade through the stem with the same hand, like a pair of scissors.

Congratulations Frank :) If you want to post a photo of your new knife, there's a prize of free lifetime membership of the Guardians available ;) That's a very interesting point you make, and I'm not sure anyone has brought it up before. I certainly sometimes use my Lambsfoot in that manner, but I don't think it was designed specifically to be used in that way. I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say on the subject :thumbsup:
If it's a GEC Lambsfoot, then I agree it's most comfortable with the blade edge facing up (upside-down).
If it's an A Wright Regular, then I find it comfortable in both regular and upside-down grips.
I believe this has to do with the handle length and the the lack of blade cant (downward angle) on the GEC version.
I believe the GEC is a gorgeous and well-built knife, but I carry the A Wright more because of the comfort level.
Excellent point John :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a good day :) I only got back from the market about 15 minutes, and now I need to start cooking because the gaffer is on her way. Hopefully, I can get a chance to post later this evening :thumbsup:

The gentleman that I bought it from claimed it was in “mint” condition. Let’s just say it needed a through cleaning and lube.

The seller probably just meant it was straight from the factory, and they're always full of gunk and muck! :D

Yep, I think that’s called “Wright’s mint condition.” 😁

Good-looking Big 'Un Jer :) :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot John, that's a cool pic my friend :) Hope you're having a great day yourself :thumbsup:

I was going to have Thai for lunch, but when I got to the restaurant, it was earlier than I had realised, and they weren't open yet. As it was raining, I decided to go into Leeds market, and get some of my favourite Vietnamese pho. It made me think of @Cambertree , who I know is a fan, it's been a long time since he last posted here, I hope he's OK, and looking forward to a good summer :) :thumbsup:

Ow1BtPJ.jpg

I’ll admit that I’m not the most adventurous eater, and I’ve actually never had pho, but it does sound like the kind of thing I might enjoy. I guess I should find a place to try it some time.

Good day, Guardians. I hope everyone is keeping well.

Like some of you, I like to use my knives to prepare my food. It isn't really all that necessary as I have a rather fine set of kitchen cutlery but using my chosen knife for the day is simply another excuse to put it to use and often food prep can help you gain insights into the knife's performance as a cutting tool. I was out and about, doing some weatherizing before some storms that we are expecting roll in and was using a blade that shall not be named. When I finished up and began to mull over what I wanted to prepare for lunch, I opted to switch over to a trusted Lambsfoot - the thought of using my chorin' knife for food wasn't all that appealing in the moment....

I had some leftover fish from supper last night so to accompany that, I figured I would fry up some potatoes and prepare some fresh veggies (I have my annual physical coming up so raw vegetables have become necessary).

The tomatoes are the very last from my garden. Waited too long to pick them so the skins are a bit thick.
lWwqpw2.jpg

As usual, the Lambsfoot is pretty proficient at dicing up the particulars.
Or37gOO.jpg

A fine meal with an even finer pint (calling this a pint doesn't do this tankard a bit of justice - rather, it can hold more than TWO pints! 😁)
ovtUKqO.jpg

Looks like you’re eating well, too, Dylan! :thumbsup:

Eleanor has a couple days off school for statewide professional development for teachers. We went out for a big breakfast this morning, so I might have something “light” for lunch. :)

DWFn2zB.jpg

Toms, one of the best ways to test a EDC's sharpness.:thumbsup:

Tis' a fine looking meal Dylan. Love the look of that fish, what species is that?:p

Thank you, my friend. The fish was a bit of fresh tilapia that my wife found at the market. We don't eat a lot of tilapia as we much prefer salmon or cod. However, this stuff looked great and my wife tried out her new seasoning blend while pan frying these filets - turned out really good.

It's always a pleasure to have you here Dylan, what a tasty-looking repast :) Great-looking vegetables my friend, it looks like you got a good crop this year :) Good luck buddy, both with the weather, and the Physical :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack. I have big aspirations for my garden next year - which means a bit of work to engage in before planting time (actually, a lot of work :oops:). Weather seems to be holding off for now - beginning to think I've been duped by the prophets (weather men) yet again!

I’d like to submit my entry for lifetime memebership
View attachment 1664751
It is indeed a GEC. It’s so nice. I like to consider myself a knife user more than collector, so I’m looking forward to figuring this historic pattern out.

Congratulations on acquiring such a fine piece. The Waynorth Lambsfoot remains one of my very favorite knives that GEC has produced - they did a tremendous job.

I am a fan of the swayback frame and nothing pairs quite so nicely with said frame as much as a Lambsfoot blade. I can't speculate too much as to what the intended purpose of the pattern but I suspect that it wasn't particularly purpose built for any single task - I simply find it more refined and nimble than its broader cousin, the sheepfoot. As you might have discovered already, the Lambsfoot excels at just about any chore short of skinning an animal, you could hardly want for a different knife in your pocket.

I never really thought about the differences in cant between the various interpretations of the Lambsfoot until JohnDF JohnDF brought it up awhile back. I value the added length of the Waynorth (in both blade and handle) and have never found it to be uncomfortable in any position or grip. It has very little cant (if any) and the sway is far more gentle than in other representations but I've never felt that those features (or lack thereof) detracted from it in use. As they say though, different strokes and all that.

By comparison, I have examples (modern and vintage) that display varying degrees of cant. I generally dislike knives that exhibit too much forward cant. The swayback frame alleviates the most egregious of cants to some extent by how it orients the knife in hand but overall, I am not keen on it. I much prefer my blades to be as straight as possible in relation to the frame. However, canted blades have their purpose and can lend more power and efficiency to a specific cut - I just never need that kind of pressure in a pocket knife, hence why I am an avid collector and user of fixed blades as well.

Here are a few examples of modern and vintage examples alike - note the differences in cant between them. The Waynorth and Wostenholm are fairly straight where the A Wright and Deakin exhibit considerable cant (the A Wright is a more extreme example versus my other A Wright made knives).

vtrSDxV.jpg

Ultimately, it is going to come down to your preference in a knife. Since I generally keep a looser grip on my knives and use the pinch style grip in most applications, I can get along with many different patterns and frames - with a few notable exceptions, of course. The Lambsfoot in a Swayback frame and with limited cant hits a sweet spot for me, for sure.

Congratulations on acquiring such a fine piece. The Waynorth Lambsfoot remains one of my very favorite knives that GEC has produced - they did a tremendous job.

I am a fan of the swayback frame and nothing pairs quite so nicely with said frame as much as a Lambsfoot blade. I can't speculate too much as to what the intended purpose of the pattern but I suspect that it wasn't particularly purpose built for any single task - I simply find it more refined and nimble than its broader cousin, the sheepfoot. As you might have discovered already, the Lambsfoot excels at just about any chore short of skinning an animal, you could hardly want for a different knife in your pocket.

I never really thought about the differences in cant between the various interpretations of the Lambsfoot until JohnDF JohnDF brought it up awhile back. I value the added length of the Waynorth (in both blade and handle) and have never found it to be uncomfortable in any position or grip. It has very little cant (if any) and the sway is far more gentle than in other representations but I've never felt that those features (or lack thereof) detracted from it in use. As they say though, different strokes and all that.

By comparison, I have examples (modern and vintage) that display varying degrees of cant. I generally dislike knives that exhibit too much forward cant. The swayback frame alleviates the most egregious of cants to some extent by how it orients the knife in hand but overall, I am not keen on it. I much prefer my blades to be as straight as possible in relation to the frame. However, canted blades have their purpose and can lend more power and efficiency to a specific cut - I just never need that kind of pressure in a pocket knife, hence why I am an avid collector and user of fixed blades as well.

Here are a few examples of modern and vintage examples alike - note the differences in cant between them. The Waynorth and Wostenholm are fairly straight where the A Wright and Deakin exhibit considerable cant (the A Wright is a more extreme example versus my other A Wright made knives).

vtrSDxV.jpg

Ultimately, it is going to come down to your preference in a knife. Since I generally keep a looser grip on my knives and use the pinch style grip in most applications, I can get along with many different patterns and frames - with a few notable exceptions, of course. The Lambsfoot in a Swayback frame and with limited cant hits a sweet spot for me, for sure.

Thanks Padruig, I think I agree with you on cant. To me, if the blade is in line with my grip then it feels most natural. I have no experience with a blade that has a forward cant, like the bottom two in your picture, nice knives by the way!, but I do have a modern folder that has a slight inside curve before the belly and you can feel it when you cut because the blade drops as you pull toward yourself. This might be what they intend with the forward cant in that design.

Back