Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Good morning Guardians, I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back on here last night. I had a burger for lunch in the market yesterday, and developed the symptoms of food poisoning soon after I got home. Certainly not the worst I've had, but not very pleasant nonetheless. Just having a cup of tea for my breakfast, while I try and catch up...:thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I'm sorry I wasn't able to get back on here last night. I had a burger for lunch in the market yesterday, and developed the symptoms of food poisoning soon after I got home. Certainly not the worst I've had, but not very pleasant nonetheless. Just having a cup of tea for my breakfast, while I try and catch up...:thumbsup:
Black tea with sugar was my dear old mums advise for someone in your situation. Hope you are over the worst of it.

So can I stop sending you monthly checks? Or did I not win that prize? 🤣
Thanks for your generosity my friend, you have the special Gold Guardians membership! 🤣 ;) :thumbsup:
Yep, I think that’s called “Wright’s mint condition.” 😁
🤣
I’ll admit that I’m not the most adventurous eater, and I’ve actually never had pho, but it does sound like the kind of thing I might enjoy. I guess I should find a place to try it some time.
It's really tasty Barrett, and in a healthy sort of way! :D :thumbsup:
Eleanor has a couple days off school for statewide professional development for teachers. We went out for a big breakfast this morning, so I might have something “light” for lunch. :)

DWFn2zB.jpg
That looks very tasty my friend :cool: Tell Eleanor there's candy in the post ;) :thumbsup:
I’d like to submit my entry for lifetime memebership
View attachment 1664751
It is indeed a GEC. It’s so nice. I like to consider myself a knife user more than collector, so I’m looking forward to figuring this historic pattern out.
Welcome to the Guardians Frank, you're in! :) Congratulations on acquiring that beauty :) :thumbsup:
Thank you, Jack. I have big aspirations for my garden next year - which means a bit of work to engage in before planting time (actually, a lot of work :oops:). Weather seems to be holding off for now - beginning to think I've been duped by the prophets (weather men) yet again!
Good luck with everything Dylan, I'm sure your gardening will provide some great Lambsfoot pic opportunities, as well as lots of tasty home-grown food :) :thumbsup:
Congratulations on acquiring such a fine piece. The Waynorth Lambsfoot remains one of my very favorite knives that GEC has produced - they did a tremendous job.
Mine too, definitely. I really hope Charlie can persuade GEC to do another run at some point :thumbsup:
I am a fan of the swayback frame and nothing pairs quite so nicely with said frame as much as a Lambsfoot blade. I can't speculate too much as to what the intended purpose of the pattern but I suspect that it wasn't particularly purpose built for any single task - I simply find it more refined and nimble than its broader cousin, the sheepfoot. As you might have discovered already, the Lambsfoot excels at just about any chore short of skinning an animal, you could hardly want for a different knife in your pocket.
Yes, I do think that a Swayback frame, and a Lambsfoot blade, are a marriage made in heaven :) :thumbsup:
I never really thought about the differences in cant between the various interpretations of the Lambsfoot until @JohnDF brought it up awhile back. I value the added length of the Waynorth (in both blade and handle) and have never found it to be uncomfortable in any position or grip. It has very little cant (if any) and the sway is far more gentle than in other representations but I've never felt that those features (or lack thereof) detracted from it in use. As they say though, different strokes and all that.
I have to confess that I've only used my WCLF lightly, but I find it a pleasure to hold :)
By comparison, I have examples (modern and vintage) that display varying degrees of cant. I generally dislike knives that exhibit too much forward cant. The swayback frame alleviates the most egregious of cants to some extent by how it orients the knife in hand but overall, I am not keen on it. I much prefer my blades to be as straight as possible in relation to the frame. However, canted blades have their purpose and can lend more power and efficiency to a specific cut - I just never need that kind of pressure in a pocket knife, hence why I am an avid collector and user of fixed blades as well.
At one time, I would have listed cant as my number one dislike in terms of pocket knives. We sometimes see some terrible examples, and it is common on contemporary-production Sheffield knives. I will have to dig out a few of my Lambsfoot knives for a pic, but I don't find any of them have too much cant. With a Lambsfoot, I definitely prefer the top edge to slope down, rather than the blade slope up, if you know what I mean :thumbsup:
Here are a few examples of modern and vintage examples alike - note the differences in cant between them. The Waynorth and Wostenholm are fairly straight where the A Wright and Deakin exhibit considerable cant (the A Wright is a more extreme example versus my other A Wright made knives).

vtrSDxV.jpg

Ultimately, it is going to come down to your preference in a knife. Since I generally keep a looser grip on my knives and use the pinch style grip in most applications, I can get along with many different patterns and frames - with a few notable exceptions, of course. The Lambsfoot in a Swayback frame and with limited cant hits a sweet spot for me, for sure.
Excellent photo Dylan, and I have to agree with your conclusion my friend :) :thumbsup:
Hope you are sleeping well my friend.

Head out tonight for dinner with my wife and her brother and his wife. Going to be carrying my favorite knife - my HHB.
View attachment 1664916
Thanks a lot Bill, I was in bed by about 9.00pm! :) I hope you had a lovely dinner, and glad you like your Hartshead Barlow as much as you do :) :thumbsup:
Hello all!
Seems like a lifetime ago since I've posted. I'll try to catch up over the last 25+ pages 😳

Black Betty with me today.
Have a great Friday all!
4Y8OdM9.jpg
Hey Dennis, it's great to see you here buddy! 🥳 I hope you're keeping well my friend :) It sounds like you've got your work cut out! :D ;) It's great to see Black Betty :) :thumbsup:

WHT WHT - If you check in, please know that you've been in my thoughts every day, and I hope you're as comfortable as you can be :thumbsup:

That's another week gone Guardians, and The Porch has been busy hasn't it? :eek: I usually meet up with my best pal on Fridays, but he's had a bad reaction to his Covid booster jab, and needs to rest. I'm still not firing on all cylinders myself, so I'm going to try and do as little as I can this morning, and catch up here ;) I don't think I'll be going for a hike tomorrow either, but still hoping for a nice weekend :) I thought I'd bring out an Old Friend today, my AC :thumbsup: Have a good Friday Guardians :thumbsup:

vXYzBK6.jpg

Black tea with sugar was my dear old mums advise for someone in your situation. Hope you are over the worst of it.

That's good advice I think mate :) Thanks, it was a relatively mild case, but still unacceptable when you pay for food. I think I was nearly 30 before I first had food-poisoning (and that includes time spent in Middle-Eastern refugee camps), and I think I have had half a dozen cases in the 30 years since, so while not common here, I reckon it's perhaps more common than it was, which is pretty appalling really. I'm careful where I eat too :rolleyes: Some years ago, Leeds City Council ripped out loads of the traditional stalls in the market, and replaced them with a dozen 'street food' stalls, and a lot of space. While some of the stalls certainly produce some nice food, one has to wonder about the access to hand-washing facilities behind those small stalls. I certainly won't be going back for another one of those burgers :(

QVNIMTE5NzM2NjI2.jpg

That's good advice I think mate :) Thanks, it was a relatively mild case, but still unacceptable when you pay for food. I think I was nearly 30 before I first had food-poisoning (and that includes time spent in Middle-Eastern refugee camps), and I think I have had half a dozen cases in the 30 years since, so while not common here, I reckon it's perhaps more common than it was, which is pretty appalling really. I'm careful where I eat too :rolleyes: Some years ago, Leeds City Council ripped out loads of the traditional stalls in the market, and replaced them with a dozen 'street food' stalls, and a lot of space. While some of the stalls certainly produce some nice food, one has to wonder about the access to hand-washing facilities behind those small stalls. I certainly won't be going back for another one of those burgers :(

QVNIMTE5NzM2NjI2.jpg
:thumbsup::).

shoulda washed that burger down with a pint Jack Black Jack Black or something a little stronger! alcohol kills the germs! Hope you feel better soon!
Ha! One of the most entertaining nights of my early 20's was when my roommate put this theory to the test after receiving apparently undercooked chicken at a restaurant. I believe vodka was the medicine of choice that night, but he may have been over medicated. He wasn't suffering from food poisoning the next day, but he was suffering all the same ;)

City planners are a pack of idiots.
We have a major thoroughfare here through a neighborhood that thinks the traffic is too fast. What is the plan? Cut down the number of lanes and add bike paths. And it will be the fault of the engineers when it goes wrong.
I'll be back with a pic.
HCoFWIG.jpg

Thanks for your generosity my friend, you have the special Gold Guardians membership! 🤣 ;) :thumbsup:

🤣

It's really tasty Barrett, and in a healthy sort of way! :D :thumbsup:

That looks very tasty my friend :cool: Tell Eleanor there's candy in the post ;) :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Guardians Frank, you're in! :) Congratulations on acquiring that beauty :) :thumbsup:

Good luck with everything Dylan, I'm sure your gardening will provide some great Lambsfoot pic opportunities, as well as lots of tasty home-grown food :) :thumbsup:

Mine too, definitely. I really hope Charlie can persuade GEC to do another run at some point :thumbsup:

Yes, I do think that a Swayback frame, and a Lambsfoot blade, are a marriage made in heaven :) :thumbsup:

I have to confess that I've only used my WCLF lightly, but I find it a pleasure to hold :)

At one time, I would have listed cant as my number one dislike in terms of pocket knives. We sometimes see some terrible examples, and it is common on contemporary-production Sheffield knives. I will have to dig out a few of my Lambsfoot knives for a pic, but I don't find any of them have too much cant. With a Lambsfoot, I definitely prefer the top edge to slope down, rather than the blade slope up, if you know what I mean :thumbsup:

Excellent photo Dylan, and I have to agree with your conclusion my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Bill, I was in bed by about 9.00pm! :) I hope you had a lovely dinner, and glad you like your Hartshead Barlow as much as you do :) :thumbsup:

Hey Dennis, it's great to see you here buddy! 🥳 I hope you're keeping well my friend :) It sounds like you've got your work cut out! :D ;) It's great to see Black Betty :) :thumbsup:

WHT WHT - If you check in, please know that you've been in my thoughts every day, and I hope you're as comfortable as you can be :thumbsup:

That's another week gone Guardians, and The Porch has been busy hasn't it? :eek: I usually meet up with my best pal on Fridays, but he's had a bad reaction to his Covid booster jab, and needs to rest. I'm still not firing on all cylinders myself, so I'm going to try and do as little as I can this morning, and catch up here ;) I don't think I'll be going for a hike tomorrow either, but still hoping for a nice weekend :) I thought I'd bring out an Old Friend today, my AC :thumbsup: Have a good Friday Guardians :thumbsup:

vXYzBK6.jpg
Feel better Jack. Which vaccine brand did you receive? Over here it's Pfizer or Moderna. Both my wife and I had our booster a few weeks ago and the only side affect was soreness in our arms where they stuck us. We both got the Pfizer vaccine.
Starting off to be a glorious morning here in NC. Will be headed to the beach for a stroll and then breakfast.
IMG_3143.JPG

Ha! One of the most entertaining nights of my early 20's was when my roommate put this theory to the test after receiving apparently undercooked chicken at a restaurant. I believe vodka was the medicine of choice that night, but he may have been over medicated. He wasn't suffering from food poisoning the next day, but he was suffering all the same ;)

As something of a health professional, in theory its solid, because it purges the system regardless ;)

shoulda washed that burger down with a pint Jack Black Jack Black or something a little stronger! alcohol kills the germs! Hope you feel better soon!
Yes definitely mate, they reckon that the only reason that folks survived in the past is that they drunk beer, wine, or spirits, instead of the filthy water! :eek: Thank you, unfortunately, before the symptoms came on, I had just spent an hour cooking, and opened a half-decent bottle of wine, and I ended up not tasting either :(
LOL! :D I had never had a hangover until I was 50, I didn't realise I had a super-power until it was gone! :( I just spoke to a friend in London on the phone, and he told me that he made himself ill with some chicken the other week. He said it had been in the fridge four or five days, and it didn't smell very good, but he fried it up anyway! :eek:
City planners are a pack of idiots.
We have a major thoroughfare here through a neighborhood that thinks the traffic is too fast. What is the plan? Cut down the number of lanes and add bike paths. And it will be the fault of the engineers when it goes wrong.
I'll be back with a pic.
HCoFWIG.jpg
Nice to see your 2018 Ebony Jer :thumbsup:
Feel better Jack. Which vaccine brand did you receive? Over here it's Pfizer or Moderna. Both my wife and I had our booster a few weeks ago and the only side affect was soreness in our arms where they stuck us. We both got the Pfizer vaccine.
Starting off to be a glorious morning here in NC. Will be headed to the beach for a stroll and then breakfast.
View attachment 1665195
Thanks Bill, I'm sure I'll be fine by tomorrow :) I'm not sure what brand my pal had, but I had the Oxford AstraZenaca one, the second dose of which was 5 months ago. I think they are giving out the Pfeizer vaccine as a booster here though. I'm not sure what my pal had, but he has had the virus, and apparently that can be a factor in terms of having an adverse reaction. He says he has a swollen gland in his arm-pit, which is so painful he's not been able to sleep. He's been told he should be OK in a few days. I'm glad you and your wife were OK Bill, I didn't even get a sore arm with the first 2 jabs, so I'm hoping it will be the same when I get my booster. It sounds like you're going to have a nice day there my friend, and your Hartshead Barlow looks as good as ever. It started out pretty miserable here, but it's sunny now (though cold apparently). I'm staying in though, and drinking some more tea, while enjoying this interesting, if rather dog-eared, book that my girlfriend found in the local Free Library :) Enjoy your stroll Bill, and your breakfast of course ;) :thumbsup:

jBJluYa.jpg

Yes definitely mate, they reckon that the only reason that folks survived in the past is that they drunk beer, wine, or spirits, instead of the filthy water! :eek: Thank you, unfortunately, before the symptoms came on, I had just spent an hour cooking, and opened a half-decent bottle of wine, and I ended up not tasting either :(

LOL! :D I had never had a hangover until I was 50, I didn't realise I had a super-power until it was gone! :( I just spoke to a friend in London on the phone, and he told me that he made himself ill with some chicken the other week. He said it had been in the fridge four or five days, and it didn't smell very good, but he fried it up anyway! :eek:

Nice to see your 2018 Ebony Jer :thumbsup:

Thanks Bill, I'm sure I'll be fine by tomorrow :) I'm not sure what brand my pal had, but I had the Oxford AstraZenaca one, the second dose of which was 5 months ago. I think they are giving out the Pfeizer vaccine as a booster here though. I'm not sure what my pal had, but he has had the virus, and apparently that can be a factor in terms of having an adverse reaction. He says he has a swollen gland in his arm-pit, which is so painful he's not been able to sleep. He's been told he should be OK in a few days. I'm glad you and your wife were OK Bill, I didn't even get a sore arm with the first 2 jabs, so I'm hoping it will be the same when I get my booster. It sounds like you're going to have a nice day there my friend, and your Hartshead Barlow looks as good as ever. It started out pretty miserable here, but it's sunny now (though cold apparently). I'm staying in though, and drinking some more tea, while enjoying this interesting, if rather dog-eared, book that my girlfriend found in the local Free Library :) Enjoy your stroll Bill, and your breakfast of course ;) :thumbsup:

jBJluYa.jpg

thats right, in fact its one of my favorite origin stories for how IPA variety beer was created, because of how the beer they did brew wouldn't survive the sea voyage for the folks when the British were colonizing India.

Back