Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I was caught up with reading this thread early Friday morning, and now I'm caught up again for the moment.
I feel like Sisyphus!! :eek::eek::rolleyes:
Maybe tomorrow I'll actually respond to some posts (or maybe I'm regressing to my pre-membership days when I simply lurked).

This week, the lambsfoot I've carried has been my Lam Jack, the 2017 horn Guardians lambsfoot (thanks, @mrknife):
View attachment 1105547

- GT
Gary, you’re Lam Jack and its’ reflected light frames things nicely. I think I can speak for everyone when I say the welcome light is always on. Do what you have to do to take care of things. We’re blessed with your presence.

Very nice Jose, my whisky glass comes from the same place :)

J2FFuRc.jpg

I pass the building whenever I visit Sheffield. You may be interested to know that it was formerly owned by Firth Steel, and it was in that very building, in 1913, where Harry Brierley invented stainless steel. There is a plaque on the outside of the building :thumbsup:

Harry_Brearley.jpg

A stainless Lambsfoot by Stan Shaw (the mural of Harry Brierley was sadly replaced recently after local idiots found it a convenient site for graffitti :( ) :thumbsup:

4PVto2Q.jpg

I like your whiskey glass, Jack. I’ve always found the old pewter tankards with glass bottoms interesting, too. :thumbsup:

I think the vandalism to that mural must’ve occurred not long before my visit to Sheffield in December. I think you first noticed it when we were walking down the hill together to grab breakfast. It’s a real shame. :(

It's certainly unusual ;) :thumbsup:

dbhtooH.jpg

smTcMto.jpg

l4Zk099.jpg

KZj34l5.jpg

IrcIaQV.jpg

mbmSqrb.jpg

PFHztw1.jpg

Se62YNN.jpg

It was supposed to be in carbon o_O Stan told me, "I thought you could keep it for best." :rolleyes:

Beautiful knife, Jack, always a pleasure to see that one. Have you spoken to Stan recently? I know it had been a while since you’d had a chance to visit with him. (Sorry if you’ve mentioned it elsewhere, I’ve done a pretty poor job of keeping up lately.)

Jack sent me a box of this tea and I loved it I found it for sale on the South American River site and very reasonable. I love a cup of hot tea with cream and honey but sorry Jack I also make southern boy iced tea NO SUGAR I just like the flavor of tea.

5kMOPW6.jpg

Randy, having spent all my formative years in Arkansas, I've always been fond of sweet tea, but over the last few years I’ve come to appreciate iced tea without quite so much sugar in it. It’s even pretty good without any sugar at all. That said, if I’m making a pitcher at home, I’ll usually add some sugar, but only about 1/4 (maybe less) of the amount my mom or either of my grandmas would’ve used. :D

It's Knaresborough in North Yorkshire Dave, and I've written about it many times in the distant past :) The photo is taken from Knaresborough Castle...

f585Sh5.jpg

Where this bloke used to hang out :eek:

:D :thumbsup:

Hey, I was listening to this song just the other day. :D

So, I have been trying to get GEC to make a Real Lamb Foot knife for several years!!:rolleyes:
It would be a production run of a pattern that has been largely ignored in the North American market since the Lambfoot was developed or invented in England.
I am proud to tell you, that the knife is in the works!!:)
The various stamps have arrived, and just to add to the firsts, it will be my first knife with my Brand on it! :eek: Waynorth Cutlery!!!:cool:
The knife is based on a Joseph Rodgers (JR) design I particularly admire. It won't be a direct copy, but will use some of the best features the JR has to offer, along with GEC's great design skills, materials and workmanship!!
Here are the Joseph Rodgers Lambfoot knives; the jigged bone being my favorite, but the wood (I think Cocabola ) my second.
View attachment 1105497

Here is a drawing of our American Lambfoot, and a revised sketch which shows a change in the kick. I was trying to get a "full" stovepipe*, but production realities altered it a bit!
The knife, on a new GEC pattern #93, is a hefty 3 7/8" long!!
Tang mark:
I used Buffalo as my home base, to recognize my birthplace, and to give tribute to the fact that the knife is truly American!View attachment 1105500 View attachment 1105504 View attachment 1105511

* another of those phrases only knife people understand!!:D

Exciting stuff, Charlie! Really looking forward to this one! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

View attachment 1105546 Celebratory lambsfoot photo!

Great pics guys :) :thumbsup:

I was caught up with reading this thread early Friday morning, and now I'm caught up again for the moment.
I feel like Sisyphus!! :eek::eek::rolleyes:
Maybe tomorrow I'll actually respond to some posts (or maybe I'm regressing to my pre-membership days when I simply lurked).

This week, the lambsfoot I've carried has been my Lam Jack, the 2017 horn Guardians lambsfoot (thanks, @mrknife):
View attachment 1105547

- GT

Good to see you here GT :) And your Lam Jack :) Keep pushing the rock brother! ;) :D :thumbsup:

GT, I missed that day at school so I had to look up "Sisyphus" :rolleyes:

Sisyphus was a cruel Greek king who was punished to push a large rock up on a steep hill, only to find it rolling back on nearing the top. Ever since, he has been known for pushing the rock tirelessly till eternity.

Very neat picture of the castle, Jack. And that stag handled Damascus model is beautiful!!!

Thanks for all the other great pictures from everyone else as well!!!

The usual Sisyphus analogy here used to be with 'the painters on the Forth Road Bridge' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_Bridge), who got to one end, only to have to start again. However, unlike Sisyphus, their task came to an end eventually (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-14789036), kind of ;) :thumbsup:

Congrats Guardians on the 901 pages as well, my favorite place to hang in Bladeforums is this subforum! I think this page was around 300-400 when I started hanging around...I think. Enjoy your Saturday all!

Thanks for your many great contributions Taylor :) :thumbsup:

I got so excited about the new Waynorth Cutlery Lambsfoot ;) I forgot to post Ashley’s fine stag that I’ve been spending time with today! :D

31996934637_53df5cf585_b_d.jpg

LOL! Looking good Ron :D :thumbsup:

This just freed some pork chops from their packaging, prior to tossing them on the grill.

View attachment 1105608

Nice :) :thumbsup:

Maybe some of us loyal to this thread could get a better shot at getting these future GEC Lambs...:eek:;):D

That'd be nice :) I'm sure Charlie will be fair, but let's remember folks, this thread is about discussing the knives themselves, not the buying process :thumbsup:

Fabulous Taylor :) :thumbsup:

Musta been related to the infamous BFO :). Don't know why some feel they have the right to steal from others and to use age as an excuse for being rude.
One thing I do know is that his Karma will get him.

Congratulations :thumbsup: Looks like it's time for me to start saving up...again. Hope I'm fortunate enough to score one.

Yeah, those market traders make very little, it's almost as bad as stealing from a charity box :( :thumbsdown:

WMZ0SoV.jpg

I do look forward to seeing these new American Lambs, though. :cool::thumbsup:

I carried my Rosewood Big-un today:
gZ7Lvfp.jpg

Great collection Rachel :) I think I might go Big today in celebration of Charlie's achievement :) :thumbsup:

The size of the GEC will be a "no" for me. My next Lambsfoot will be a Wright's Small. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

Because of your restrictions at work John? :( I wasn't a particular fan of the small size initially, but the ACs really charmed me :) :thumbsup:

I will make all my announcements in this thread, so Guardians should be the first to hear!!

BTW, Congrats, Jack, on 900+ pages!!!
Jack Black Jack Black

Great stuff Charlie (see folks? :) ), it's been hard containing my excitement these past few years, but I am so thrilled for you, and for all of us :) :thumbsup: Please help protect us from a lolly scramble! ;) :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend, hard to believe how fast the last 400 pages have gone! :eek: When we get to page 1000, I'll announce some giveaways :) :thumbsup:

That's one of the things I like about ironwood. Even plain wood looks great in the light, the chatoyance is remarkable.

Desert ironwood has so much oil that it will look like it has been varnished if it is buffed well. A while back I had a local custom maker use desert ironwood for some handles and he complained that it was so oily that the dust didn't fall loosely from his sanding belt, it clogged the belt up.

Wonderful wood, I am grateful for all your insights on the subject :) I have heard cutlers say Lignum also clogs their belts up :thumbsup:

I like your whiskey glass, Jack. I’ve always found the old pewter tankards with glass bottoms interesting, too. :thumbsup:

Thanks Barrett, it was a gift from a friend last Christmas :) I have my grandfather's slightly-battered old pewter tankard with the glass bottom and hanged man, but unfortunately, my grandmother, having spent many years in the cutlery trade, in later life, through one of her many old pals, had it silver-plated, which makes it a pain to clean :rolleyes:

I think the vandalism to that mural must’ve occurred not long before my visit to Sheffield in December. I think you first noticed it when we were walking down the hill together to grab breakfast. It’s a real shame. :(

Yes, that'd be right Barrett, a terrible thing, and the mural has been painted over now :( I was talking about it with John Maleham recently, and he said he caught someone painting graffiti (tagging) on the wall of the factory. When he challenged the youth, he said it was art, so John told him to go and paint on his mother's house, and he could tell her that! :rolleyes:

Beautiful knife, Jack, always a pleasure to see that one. Have you spoken to Stan recently? I know it had been a while since you’d had a chance to visit with him. (Sorry if you’ve mentioned it elsewhere, I’ve done a pretty poor job of keeping up lately.)

A month or so ago Barrett, but only on the phone, I really need to get over and see him, but he has been off work for a while, recovering from a cataract operation. I have been so busy lately, but will try to get over to see him soon :thumbsup:

Hey, I was listening to this song just the other day. :D

LOL! :D Spooky! :eek: No doubt it was something to do with Eleanor my friend :) :D :thumbsup:

Wonderful news Charlie. Congratulations the drawing looks superb. It looks like the sharpened part of the blade will be a hair under the [ THREE] inches mark, which is good news for people over here in the UK. Thanks a lot.

Did you mean to add that (bracketed) Wayne? :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, looks like you've been busy while I've been snoozing! :D Taken me a good hour to put this post together! :eek: I better get my skates on! :rolleyes: Hope everyone is having a great weekend, and that your Sunday is just as good :) :thumbsup: I'm at least as thrilled by Charlie's announcement as everyone else - been waiting for this one a lonnnnnngg time - but please bear in mind my comments above, and also help protect the non-commercial nature of our thread from the indiscretions of any newcomers who wander in :) :thumbsup: To celebrate the great news, I thought I'd carry a couple of Big 'Uns myself today :) :thumbsup:

fp5pxG7.jpg

Here is a drawing of our American Lambfoot, and a revised sketch which shows a change in the kick. I was trying to get a "full" stovepipe*, but production realities altered it a bit!
The knife, on a new GEC pattern #93, is a hefty 3 7/8" long!!
Tang mark:
I used Buffalo as my home base, to recognize my birthplace, and to give tribute to the fact that the knife is truly American!
93-real-lambfoot-cc-jpg.1105500
revised-93-drawing-jpg.1105504
93-lamb-foot-buttons-jpg.1105511

Wonderful news Charlie, have everything to succeed, I hope to have the luck of one arrival in Portugal!!!:):thumbsup:

Desert ironwood has so much oil that it will look like it has been varnished if it is buffed well. A while back I had a local custom maker use desert ironwood for some handles and he complained that it was so oily that the dust didn't fall loosely from his sanding belt, it clogged the belt up.

Thanks for the information, there are always things that we do not know, I have to also polish mine to be more beautiful!!!:cool::thumbsup:

Because of your restrictions at work John? :(
I wasn't a particular fan of the small size initially, but the ACs really charmed me :) :thumbsup:
My work restrictions have taught me one thing...
I really prefer a smaller knife that I can slip into my watch pocket. The regular sized Lambsfoot fits pretty well in my Wrangler's watch pocket. It's a bit snug, but the shape of the handle makes it very comfortable to carry that way. I'm thinking the Small Lambsfoot would be my "ideal" knife for size and blade. I plan to find that out for sure some day soon.

The regular sized Lambsfoot is actually the biggest knife I have in my collection now. I've sold everything bigger because I just never carried them. I guess I'm just a small to medium sized knife guy at heart. I'm not really a collector of knives, more like I have a good amount of knives that I like to rotate through. So if they don't get carried, they end up getting sold or given away.

That was a wordy way of saying, "I like 3" to 3-5/8" knives". :D

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Index @Cambertree what a great resource.
I've spent the weekend sloooowly filing away at the kick and have the spring almost flush when closed... Close enough for it not to bother me and I know that if I keep going sods law will make sure the edge hits the spring!

Back