Handle Modifications... The Complete Guide (Hopefully)

DSCN1881_zps858b9ecb.jpg

Foliage green krylon.

NEW COATINGS!!!

DO WANT. I may actually buy a 2nd BK9 once I know I can get an etched one.

Here's one for posterity.

Camillus 2 rehandled with bocote scales. The tang was drilled to accept the 1/4-20 cabinet bolts securing the scales, and blade was parkerized. The lanyard holes are decorated with the heads from .45 Long Colt shell casings.

SANY1156.jpg

Here's my latest handle mods. Black Palm scales for my BK15. Two coats of BLO.
Don't know if I'd ever use Black Palm again. It's very pretty. But it's kind of a spintery and splitty kind of wood. The Olivewood I used for my 16 seems kind of soft. Don't know what I would use for my next, maybe micarta or Dymondwood.

Untitled by OptimanBene, on Flickr

black palm by OptimanBene, on Flickr

in hand by OptimanBene, on Flickr

Your work always impresses, spike. The palm looks great. I haven't tried , but have heard dymondwood is cracky and chips easily. I have a bushcrafter by Ryan W in the stuff, and its smooth as glass. So it can be done.

I was very happy with Lignum Vitae. I think it will last forever. Not the most beautiful wood, but not bad. Kind of oily and clogs sandpaper easily but other than that I'm happy.

I have used Dymondwood before and never has a problem with cracking. It's a bear to work with because of the resin/epoxy used, kind of like wooden micarta.
I have seen some Lignum Vitae gun grips, and they can be beautiful.

Back