Help Us Build a Vantage! (Knife Giveaway)

Choose the best configuration!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nice renderings! I think the ironwood with satin combo looks fantastic. For more a EDC type version I still would like to see a stonewashed version with OD Green micarta handles.

Looks to me like your renderings show the scale material inlaid in plastic - like the current production versions. Is that your plan for this custom model as well? If so, I will not be buying one. Please say it ain't so.

Looks to me like your renderings show the scale material inlaid in plastic - like the current production versions. Is that your plan for this custom model as well? If so, I will not be buying one. Please say it ain't so.

The renderings are mostly to give everyone an idea on what the current leaders would feel like. Talking with Buck, if Ironwood is chosen, the best choice will be to inlay the scale material in plastic from what they are advising.

M390 Bos heat treatment with void free carbonfiber scales.

As long as it's cf scales I'll be happy with any of the steel types but would prefer m390, elmax or S90V in that order.

And I'm not picky on the type of carbon fiber as long as it's not colors (cause real carbonfiber is not colored). Tho I will say lightening strike cf is annoying cause it will poke you alot and have to be sanded down unless epoxied on the outer layer.

The marbled cf renders are amazing!!! Please add those to the original post so people voting can see that.

Also if you don't make the marbled cf version for the forum knife... I'd still want one!

Last edited:
Vantage has to be my favorite Buck knife. Steel is steel to me I have some S30V Buck's, so any of the above steel would be new to me, as I voted S90V.
Handle material is what make the knife looks. So I like the idea of carbon fiber for some thing different. All in all any Vantage would work for me.

I voted for micarta or marbled carbon fiber scales. With all of the votes for ironwood, I'd become curious about that possibility as well. However, if those scales were to be ironwood inlay in plastic....bleh, not much a fan of that.

Regardless, thanks for the opportunity to vote and chime in on this one, Steve!

Will there be a micarta rendering? Based on the poll that is on my screen, micarta seems to be the leading choice for handle material(micarta 36.5%, ironwood 35.3%, and the 2 carbon fibers at 20-21%). (These numbers are based on the poll at the time of this posting and were similar percentages at the time the renderings were shown)

John

Last edited:
I'm not going to pretend that I am a guaranteed buyer in any case, but I do have to say that an ironwood or lightning strike CF handled Vantage in a great steel would be really hard to pass up. Unless...

Unless it was an inlay in those cheap looking plastic brackets. The plastic handles take the knife from a "how can I pass that up?" to an absolute unequivocal "no" for me.

The plastic handles are fine for a more budget friendly knife, but if I am paying for an M390 blade with Lightning Strike CF handles I do not want plastic brackets on my knife.

A whole scale ironwood handle would look warm and friendly. It would be a big modern folder you could carry in mixed company without scaring folks because it looks nice and traditional, but gives you all the functionality of a high quality modern folder.

Similarly, a whole scale CF handle looks modern and sleek. When you put plastic buggy bumpers on the outside that effect is ruined for me.

I'm not going to pretend that I am a guaranteed buyer in any case, but I do have to say that an ironwood or lightning strike CF handled Vantage in a great steel would be really hard to pass up. Unless...

Unless it was an inlay in those cheap looking plastic brackets. The plastic handles take the knife from a "how can I pass that up?" to an absolute unequivocal "no" for me.

The plastic handles are fine for a more budget friendly knife, but if I am paying for an M390 blade with Lightning Strike CF handles I do not want plastic brackets on my knife.

A whole scale ironwood handle would look warm and friendly. It would be a big modern folder you could carry in mixed company without scaring folks because it looks nice and traditional, but gives you all the functionality of a high quality modern folder.

Similarly, a whole scale CF handle looks modern and sleek. When you put plastic buggy bumpers on the outside that effect is ruined for me.
I'am not a fan of the plastic eather and a knife assembled with drive pins is also a bummer to me. I wish Buck would step the whole knife up with thrust bearings, stronger pivot pin the whole nine yards . Haha in my dreams :D . Will this be a flat ground blade ?

Awesome idea Sk, I didn't know about your site til just now! The large vantage is my all time favorite Buck :)
I voted s90v/m390 and lightning strike/micarta.. And stonewashed but satin is sweet too.
For the micarta blue or natural or maybe a nice maroon..
I gotta agree with everyone about the inset plastic scales though, especially for a premium version of the knife.. i own multiple vantage styles but the newer inset ones are definitely a dissappinting change :(

I didn't know about the plastic. I'd agree with everyone else on that. Costs would ultimately increase tho if that were removed. But for the materials, I'd still be open to it. Not sure if buck would even be open to removing that all together. (also from the poll my preferred choice cf isn't in the lead, so less interesting to me).

I've only handled a Vantage at a knife shows briefly. Seemed really small but it's a cool looking knife and usa made. Tho I've avoided them because of qc issues I've read about, warranty is stealer but I don't like to use warranty if I don't have to. A more premium one would be idea for some of us, but how well will it sell?

The plastic is is definitely a way to keep costs down on Buck and us and even offers some protection to the scales and are hands in the event of mishandling and developing splintered edges. I still don't like em :D

Last edited:
I'am not a fan of the plastic eather and a knife assembled with drive pins is also a bummer to me. I wish Buck would step the whole knife up with thrust bearings, stronger pivot pin the whole nine yards . Haha in my dreams :D . Will this be a flat ground blade ?

I think we are going with a hollow grind most likely.

Back