Recommendation? High-end production titanium flippers with blade length ≥3.75"? (picked one, post 79)

Dadpool

Gold Member
Update: I went with the Hoback Husky. Pics, thoughts, and many thanks are in post #79. Thank you so much to everyone who contributed to this thread! :thumbsup:

I've been refining my collection this year, and I'm in the market for a high-end production flipper with a blade of 3.75" or longer that's either Ti/Ti or Ti/other. I'm specifically not looking for anything that doesn't meet all of those criteria. :D

"High-end" and even "production" can be defined in different ways, so here I'm thinking of knives whose baseline is the upper end of regular-production Zero Tolerance knives with a price max of ~$600. Think Hinderer, Shirogorov, Medford, Reate, and the like.

I like big, beefy knives, but I'm not opposed to something slimmer. The Hoback Husky or A15 Slimline would be perfect except for the religious scale etch, to give you an idea of my headspace. I own an XM-18 3.5, so the XM-24 is a logical choice, but although I may land there I'd like to cast a wider net.

My ZT 0308 is the knife along these lines that I like the best, so anything I pick up has to make me happier than that one already does. Thanks in advance for your suggestions! :)

S5Rb3A0.jpg

Last edited:
Olamic Wayfarer, Swish, Rainmaker, Soloist

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've seen these but have no firsthand experience with them. Apart from the Wayfarer (only a 3.5" blade), do you have a favorite among them?

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've seen these but have no firsthand experience with them. Apart from the Wayfarer (only a 3.5" blade), do you have a favorite among them?
They're actually a bit big for me. I prefer to stick to the 3" blade range. Had a whippersnapper though and was thoroughly impressed with Olamic's quality and attention to detail. If they made a smaller swish or rainmaker I'd be on it so fast.

Curtiss, Medford, Koenig, Olamic, Zieba, Anso (giant mouse)
to start you off...
could also see what models Flytanium makes for

I don't recognize the logo. What is it?
Ah weird, I typed it but it disappeared. Valence Knives Gamma midtech. They also have full custom knives as well. I want to say there was only 100 of the midtech knives made, but I saw one for sale recently

Curtiss, Medford, Koenig, Olamic, Zieba, Anso (giant mouse)
to start you off...
could also see what models Flytanium makes for

I've checked out reviews of the Medford flippers in this size range, and none of them appear to flip well (without wrist). I'd love to hear impressions from folks who've handled them, though -- notably the On Belay and the Proxima. Aesthetically the On Belay is right up my alley.

I don't see any Koenig, Zieba, or Giant Mouse models 3.75"+, and the only Curtiss knives this size that I can find are well over $600. Am I missing something on these?

Ah weird, I typed it but it disappeared. Valence Knives Gamma midtech. They also have full custom knives as well. I want to say there was only 100 of the midtech knives made, but I saw one for sale recently

Oh dang, that's really nice! Totally off my radar, too. Thank you!

The Hinderer Fulltrack is an amazing knife, and I think the best thing Hinderer has made to date. I traded away my XM-24 when I got mine. It has the same amount of cutting edge, in a slightly more compact/efficient package (still a 3.75" blade). The blade stock thickness is the same as an XM-18 3.5" (0.16") and it's ground thin enough to cut while still being tough.

RJyoVHX.jpg

The Hinderer Fulltrack is an amazing knife, and I think the best thing Hinderer has made to date. I traded away my XM-24 when I got mine. It has the same amount of cutting edge, in a slightly more compact/efficient package (still a 3.75" blade). The blade stock thickness is the same as an XM-18 3.5" (0.16") and it's ground thin enough to cut while still being tough.

RJyoVHX.jpg

I like the look of the Full Track a lot, and it's great to hear -- and see -- how it stacks up to the XM-24. Thanks! :)

I would suggest the Full-Track as well, but being out of production it might be hard to track one down. Also, I think your price range might be putting you close to Demko territory. I have no personal experience with his knives, just admired them from afar, so I'm not exactly sure about pricing and availability. Worth a look at least IMO.

I would suggest the Full-Track as well, but being out of production it might be hard to track one down. Also, I think your price range might be putting you close to Demko territory. I have no personal experience with his knives, just admired them from afar, so I'm not exactly sure about pricing and availability. Worth a look at least IMO.

Yeah, the AD-20 is sorely tempting! 100% up my alley.

I've seen the blade length listed as 3.5", 3.6", and 3.7" depending on the site, so I assume it's in the 3.6" range. That's in the weird spot where it's just barely too long to be legal to carry in Seattle, but not meaningfully longer than, say, my XM-18 3.5. Definitely scratches an itch, but not this particular itch.

A few suggestions that immediately come to mind from my collection:

Real Steel Megalodon (3.875") M390 Ti/Ti
Hinderer XM-24 (4.00") G10/Ti M390
ZT-0452 (4.10") CF/Ti S35VN (and the G10/Ti GLD and CF/Ti BLU which are both M390 Sprints)
ZT-0560 (3.75") G10/Ti Elmax

--------------------------------

The Megalodon is my favorite as an EDC and is the "best buy" IMO. Versatile drop point blade shape, relatively light weight and slim profile.

The 0452 is my favorite for "style." Easy to pocket but not well suited as a general EDC due to it's straight spear-like blade but, then again, that's what makes it look cool. ;)

I only own the 3 variations mentioned but there are at least 3 others that I can think of off-hand, including a plain Ti/Ti, blue Ti/Ti and Glow/Ti that I think all use S35VN steel like the basic CF/Ti model which do/did not appeal to me but may appeal to others.

The Hinderer and 0560 are both impressive for their bulk/size. Real workhorses if you actually intend to "use" them but not something you'd want to carry in your pocket much as an EDC due to their size/weight.

Last edited:
A few suggestions that immediately come to mind from my collection:

Real Steel Megalodon (3.875") M390 Ti/Ti
Hinderer XM-24 (4.00") G10/Ti M390
ZT-0452 (4.10") CF/Ti S35VN (and the G10/Ti GLD and CF/Ti BLU which are both M390 Sprints)
ZT-0560 (3.75") G10/Ti Elmax

The Megalodon is my favorite as an EDC and is the "best buy."

All solid, thank you! I've owned a ZT 0452 and it didn't click, but I've always meant to try a full Ti version.

I've checked out reviews of the Medford flippers in this size range, and none of them appear to flip well (without wrist). I'd love to hear impressions from folks who've handled them, though -- notably the On Belay and the Proxima. Aesthetically the On Belay is right up my alley.

I don't see any Koenig, Zieba, or Giant Mouse models 3.75"+, and the only Curtiss knives this size that I can find are well over $600. Am I missing something on these?

I thought the Arius as at 3.75...Zieba and Anso you gotta keep a watch for as both will occasionally work in the size you're looking for.
I thought the Curtiss Warhawk 375 was right in the ballpark? If you can find one.
Forgot Hoback.
Maybe Zscherny (scorpion knives)

All solid, thank you! I've owned a ZT 0452 and it didn't click, but I've always meant to try a full Ti version.

Sounds like the XM-24 or 0560 are what you are looking for but, unless you have something against knives made in China, you should check out the all Ti Megalodon.

It's not "big and beefy" but it's a really nice knife!

Don't know anything about this vendor but it's still available here for just $207.50. May be available elsewhere but this was the 1st listing that popped up when I did the search.

Last edited:
Unless you have something against knives made in China, you should check out the all Ti Megalodon. It's a really nice knife!

Don't know anything about this vendor but it's still available here for just $207.50. May be available elsewhere but this was the 1st listing that popped up when I did the search.

I have two Real Steel Megalodon 2017 Ti M390 knives and they are among my favorites. They’re a true steal at a well known, well respected online dealer in INDIANA. Priced @ $149.99.

Last edited:
Not sure if they're still available new; but the Begg SteelCraft Bodega is worth a look...as are the Reate K2, CKF SSE, and Liong Mah Eraser.

Back